Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread - Page 248

post #3706 of 3832
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post
 

How does it affect the sound? Curious to know.

the pads placed the driver in a very good position, even the space from the ears to the drivers was perfect, can't comment on the bass since i listen to J-pop but might go test later, for the Treble it became more airy and enjoyable, you could enjoy the extending even more, for the mids there was a subtle change but for the better, so sound/comfort wise the Alpha Pads were awesome as usual, i even used them with TH900.

post #3707 of 3832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shini44 View Post
 

the pads placed the driver in a very good position, even the space from the ears to the drivers was perfect, can't comment on the bass since i listen to J-pop but might go test later, for the Treble it became more airy and enjoyable, you could enjoy the extending even more, for the mids there was a subtle change but for the better, so sound/comfort wise the Alpha Pads were awesome as usual, i even used them with TH900.

Wow that sounds like quite an improvement. I would not have guessed that going from a valour earpad to a leather one.

post #3708 of 3832

Whoa. This thread has been dead, but for those interested in how the new Shure Alcantara pads might effect the SRH940, here's my quick impression on them.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/687229/shure-announcing-new-srh1540-in-tokyo-today-head-fi-tv/435#post_10186706

post #3709 of 3832
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post
 

Whoa. This thread has been dead, but for those interested in how the new Shure Alcantara pads might effect the SRH940, here's my quick impression on them.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/687229/shure-announcing-new-srh1540-in-tokyo-today-head-fi-tv/435#post_10186706

No reason for this thread to be dead, either, since these are some of the very best closed cans you can buy in its price range. Where's the appreciation?!

post #3710 of 3832
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
 

No reason for this thread to be dead, either, since these are some of the very best closed cans you can buy in its price range. Where's the appreciation?!

Lol. IK. I love my SRH940. But they are indeed fragile. Part of the reason people stay away from SRH940 is that the tuning, to untrained, new ears, will sound abnormal, especially when compared to mainstream bass heavy phones. The impression I got from my friends were "there's no bass! These are worse than the earpods. Even the earpods have better bass!" Well, I guess most people follow the quantity over quality rule, rather then quality over quantity.

post #3711 of 3832
Man, I hate reading that they're fragile. Although I've had no problems with it, I'm fearing the day I get any breakage.
post #3712 of 3832
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

Man, I hate reading that they're fragile. Although I've had no problems with it, I'm fearing the day I get any breakage.

If your head is small and use it at the smaller settings your chances of breakage are lower.

post #3713 of 3832

Hey guys,

 

I demoed the 940s the other day and must say that I was very impressed by them and loved the sound. My only gripe is the lack of mid bass (for me), making the drum kicks in certain songs not hit as hard as I would like. I'll be going to a larger demo room next week so can anyone recommend some similar sounding closed-back headphones around the same price for me to try out?

 

Thanks.

post #3714 of 3832
Quote:
Originally Posted by KElyas View Post
 

Hey guys,

 

I demoed the 940s the other day and must say that I was very impressed by them and loved the sound. My only gripe is the lack of mid bass (for me), making the drum kicks in certain songs not hit as hard as I would like. I'll be going to a larger demo room next week so can anyone recommend some similar sounding closed-back headphones around the same price for me to try out?

 

Thanks.

Probably the SRH840 would probably sound suitable for you, just slightly less refined treble but the same clean sound with more bass presence.

post #3715 of 3832
Quote:
Originally Posted by KElyas View Post
 

Hey guys,

 

I demoed the 940s the other day and must say that I was very impressed by them and loved the sound. My only gripe is the lack of mid bass (for me), making the drum kicks in certain songs not hit as hard as I would like. I'll be going to a larger demo room next week so can anyone recommend some similar sounding closed-back headphones around the same price for me to try out?

 

Thanks.

the people get the 940 for the Treble and Details, yet if you wan't bass and comfort then read about the BD DT series , made in Germany too. 

post #3716 of 3832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shini44 View Post
 

the people get the 940 for the Treble and Details, yet if you wan't bass and comfort then read about the BD DT series , made in Germany too. 


But I love to be able to hear crisp treble and details too but I guess you can't have it all... I had the DT770 80 ohms for a couple weeks and while I enjoyed them, they left me wanting more.

post #3717 of 3832
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post
 

Probably the SRH840 would probably sound suitable for you, just slightly less refined treble but the same clean sound with more bass presence.


I may have tried them along with the SRH940 but I don't remember (I'll check tomorrow). If I did I wasn't too impressed but if not I'll give them a listen, I'd hate to lose much detail but the price difference and bass boost might sway me. Do you know how the soundstage and instrument separation compare?

post #3718 of 3832

Just subbing to this thread for one of my favorite headphones.

 

Has anyone else pointed out how, if you print the innerfidelity chart for the SRH940 and the Sennheiser HD800 and put one on top of the other you'll see that the 30hz, 300hz square wave charts match almost perfectly (with the SRH940 having more distortion), and that the frequency graphs are also very close (with the SRH940 having bass roll off). I seriously wonder if when making the SRH940, Shure said, "let's see how close we can get to the HD800 without spending more than $300."

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

 

I sometimes wonder if Sennheiser has an intellectual property infringement case against Shure!


Edited by ag8908 - 2/14/14 at 6:03pm
post #3719 of 3832
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag8908 View Post
 

Just subbing to this thread for one of my favorite headphones.

 

Has anyone else pointed out how, if you print the innerfidelity chart for the SRH940 and the Sennheiser HD800 and put one on top of the other you'll see that the 30hz, 300hz square wave charts match almost perfectly (with the SRH940 having more distortion), and that the frequency graphs are also very close (with the SRH940 having bass roll off). I seriously wonder if when making the SRH940, Shure said, "let's see how close we can get to the HD800 without spending more than $300."

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

 

I sometimes wonder if Sennheiser has an intellectual property infringement case against Shure!

Lol. Although I think comparing the SRH940 and HD800 is a push, I still think they are one of the best headphones created under $500. I own both the SRH1540 and SRH940, and really love both of them.

post #3720 of 3832

Enjoying these again. I really like that airy, ethereal feeling they give to music.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread