Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread - Page 243

post #3631 of 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairyvic View Post

I gotta question, how do the highs combare to the amperior? Which one is more sibilant. Also, which one is more "fun" and "warm" and "upfront?"

Neither the SRH940 nor the Amperior have sibilance issues, although they are both pretty bright. The Amperior is more in your face due to the smaller soundstage and seems a little less detailed, once again on account of the soundstage. The Amperior has more bass and is therefore technically warmer than the SRH940, although I would still not call it a warm headphone (compared to other truly warm headphones like the HD650). I'd say that the Amperior has a more neutral sound than the SRH940, which is brighter.

I highly disagree with this statement. I own the SRH940 and I find it to be not sibilant what-so-ever. I have tried the Amperior at a local Head-Fi meet and I couldn't stand it. Female vocals were so sibilant that they were unbearable for me. Listening to Joanna Wang's "Lost in Paradise" sounded terrible because of this sibilance issue. I also know that I'm not the only one who finds the Amperior sibilant.


Edited by miceblue - 12/17/12 at 5:35pm
post #3632 of 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

I highly disagree with this statement. I own the SRH940 and I find it to be not sibilant what-so-ever. I have tried the Amperior at a local Head-Fi meet and I couldn't stand it. Female vocals were so sibilant that they were unbearable for me. Listening to Joanna Wang's "Lost in Paradise" sounded terrible because of this sibilance issue. I also know that I'm not the only one who finds the Amperior sibilant.

 

I own the SRH940 and HD25-II and find neither are sibilant.  The detail on the SRH940 are incredible.  If anything, I would ask for a little more high end emphasis on the HD25 ..... are these different sounding than the Amperior?

post #3633 of 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

I highly disagree with this statement. I own the SRH940 and I find it to be not sibilant what-so-ever. I have tried the Amperior at a local Head-Fi meet and I couldn't stand it. Female vocals were so sibilant that they were unbearable for me. Listening to Joanna Wang's "Lost in Paradise" sounded terrible because of this sibilance issue. I also know that I'm not the only one who finds the Amperior sibilant.

 

I own the SRH940 and HD25-II and find neither are sibilant.  The detail on the SRH940 are incredible.  If anything, I would ask for a little more high end emphasis on the HD25 ..... are these different sounding than the Amperior?

People have stated the Amperior has more detail and clarity over the HD25-i-ii. I haven't listened to the HD25-i-ii with my own gear so I can't make a statement about it.

 

I liked pretty much everything about the Amperior except for the annoying sibilance problem for my ears, a tad bit too much mid-bass, and the small soundstage. Really, the sibilance is my only real gripe about it because otherwise it's a perfect headphone in my opinion.

post #3634 of 3820

Well some people are more sensible to sibilance than others. I  found the hd25 mess up something in the mids.

And regarding the srh940, I  found them fatiguing at first, technically it was not sibilance, but putting emphasis on the percussions, or elongating  the sounds from these percussion "kkkkssss"; until I played with headband position.

post #3635 of 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

Well some people are more sensible to sibilance than others. I  found the hd25 mess up something in the mids.

And regarding the srh940, I  found them fatiguing at first, technically it was not sibilance, but putting emphasis on the percussions, or elongating  the sounds from these percussion "kkkkssss"; until I played with headband position.

Yeah the SRH940 is fatiguing to me for a reason other than sibilance. Before I purchased the SRH940 I was looking for a headphone that wasn't sibilant because my ears are sensitive to it. After doing research on the SRH940 I thought it would be the right choice for me and it was. When I tried the Amperior with my own gear, I immediately recognised the sibilance that my ears are sensitive to and I immediately didn't like it because of it. Female vocalists pronouncing "sss" sounds and violin notes just weren't pleasing to my ears at all. Like what you observed with the HD25, I found the Amperior's midrange to be "meh" as Ottmar Liebert's guitar sounded strange, and the guitar plucks added to my sibilance problem.

post #3636 of 3820

i found the SRH940 slightly too bright, but mostly it was bassless. i love the mids and the detail of them though

post #3637 of 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

I highly disagree with this statement. I own the SRH940 and I find it to be not sibilant what-so-ever. I have tried the Amperior at a local Head-Fi meet and I couldn't stand it. Female vocals were so sibilant that they were unbearable for me. Listening to Joanna Wang's "Lost in Paradise" sounded terrible because of this sibilance issue. I also know that I'm not the only one who finds the Amperior sibilant.

If you find the Amperior to be sibilant the HD25-1 II would probably kill you :) Listening to that Wang track it is pretty obvious to me that the mix itself is pretty sibilant, if a headphone does not reveal this, it means it is not neutral...

post #3638 of 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

I highly disagree with this statement. I own the SRH940 and I find it to be not sibilant what-so-ever. I have tried the Amperior at a local Head-Fi meet and I couldn't stand it. Female vocals were so sibilant that they were unbearable for me. Listening to Joanna Wang's "Lost in Paradise" sounded terrible because of this sibilance issue. I also know that I'm not the only one who finds the Amperior sibilant.

If you find the Amperior to be sibilant the HD25-1 II would probably kill you :) Listening to that Wang track it is pretty obvious to me that the mix itself is pretty sibilant, if a headphone does not reveal this, it means it is not neutral...

Well I've listened to that track with a Stax SR-007 (MK I) and a LCD-2 (I don't know if it was a rev 1 or rev 2). My results from those headphones didn't reveal any sibilance to my ears and were actually quite pleasing to listen to (more so on the Stax than the LCD-2).

post #3639 of 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Well I've listened to that track with a Stax SR-007 (MK I) and a LCD-2 (I don't know if it was a rev 1 or rev 2). My results from those headphones didn't reveal any sibilance to my ears and were actually quite pleasing to listen to (more so on the Stax than the LCD-2).

What does this have to do with the Amperior?

post #3640 of 3820
Quote:

Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post

 

What does this have to do with the Amperior?

It doesn't per se, but you mentioned in the previous post

 

Quote:
Listening to that Wang track it is pretty obvious to me that the mix itself is pretty sibilant, if a headphone does not reveal this, it means it is not neutral...

If the Amperior reveals that that track is sibilant, you say a neutral headphone would reveal it, and the LCD-2 and Stax SR-007 don't seem to be sibilant with that track at all, then something's not right as the LCD-2 and SR-007 are arguably some of the most neutral headphones out there. Likewise, I don't hear any of such sibilance with the SRH940.

post #3641 of 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

If the Amperior reveals that that track is sibilant, you say a neutral headphone would reveal it, and the LCD-2 and Stax SR-007 don't seem to be sibilant with that track at all, then something's not right as the LCD-2 and SR-007 are arguably some of the most neutral headphones out there. Likewise, I don't hear any of such sibilance with the SRH940.

While both the LCD-2 and the Stax SR-007 are obviously superior headphones to the Amperior in terms of sound quality, I would not consider them more neutral as they both have that descending slope FR chart. This makes sense - the Amperior is basically just a modded HD25, which is a monitoring/pro headphone, whereas the Audeze and Stax are "hi-fi" headphones that are designed to sound pleasing. Clarly, they do sound pleasing as they do a good job at masking sibilance.

post #3642 of 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital-Pride View Post



Your wish is my command!

 

prod_img_srh940_xl.jpg

 

Sounds incredibly balanced straight out of iPhone. Not soul-grabbing like some phones but its smoothness is

a nice welcome in the age of stinging brightness and overblown bass of modern headphones. The best full range

headphones at this price range. The nearest model 840 sounds a little brittle. Not a big fan of the plastic, very fragile.

Construction could be better though.

post #3643 of 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post

i found the SRH940 slightly too bright, but mostly it was bassless. i love the mids and the detail of them though

 

Huh? I thought this is one of the more balanced phones I ever listened to. Brightness is the price for details. 

"bassless?" Baseless!

post #3644 of 3820

I really miss my Shure 940. They got broken after some op-amp testing... my fault thou... Got Shure 1840, Mad Dog, AKG 550 Soundmagic 100 and CAL. I'm considering strongly to buy them again. Female voices are pure magic on them in my view!

post #3645 of 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoza View Post

I really miss my Shure 940. They got broken after some op-amp testing... my fault thou... Got Shure 1840, Mad Dog, AKG 550 Soundmagic 100 and CAL. I'm considering strongly to buy them again. Female voices are pure magic on them in my view!

 

I miss them too, might buy them again! Great closed phone, preferred them to the 1840.

 

Now, where is the cheapest to get the 940? :P


Edited by marts30 - 7/20/13 at 4:58am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread