or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread - Page 240

post #3586 of 3844
PM sent! (To others, I'm not asking for everything, so don't be dissuaded smily_headphones1.gif )
post #3587 of 3844

Already PM'ed him also... lol. (I think he's probably gotten a bunch of PMs by now ;-))

post #3588 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

Does anyone want an extra SRH940 cable, ear pad set, case, or other accessories? You can have them if you want for essentially shipping costs. Otherwise I'm going to end up throwing them away anyway.

 

The SRH940 was just too small for my head and ended up snapping the headband. Shure replaced it under warranty for a brand new unit, which I've since sold. Because their warranty asked only for the headphone unit without ANY accessories attached, I still have the extra cable, earpads, case, etc.

How was the experience with warranty replacement? I'm thinking of doing warranty replacement soon too.. They are too small for my head it seems like.

post #3589 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhuidk View Post

How was the experience with warranty replacement? I'm thinking of doing warranty replacement soon too.. They are too small for my head it seems like.


You too, eh? My adjustable headband is fractured and the swivel point's plastic is on the verge of breaking off due to the stretching of the headband from the earcups. I had higher expectations for Shure's build quality... :(

 

I believe you just send them the headphone in a box and they'll send you a replacement (this is what I had to do for the Sennheiser warranty at least). You might have to fill out a warranty form online. ac500 would know better than me though since he/she got the headphone exchanged under the warranty.

post #3590 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


You too, eh? My adjustable headband is fractured and the swivel point's plastic is on the verge of breaking off due to the stretching of the headband from the earcups. I had higher expectations for Shure's build quality... :(

 

I believe you just send them the headphone in a box and they'll send you a replacement (this is what I had to do for the Sennheiser warranty at least). You might have to fill out a warranty form online. ac500 would know better than me though since he/she got the headphone exchanged under the warranty.

Haha yeah.. Here's the thread I started on it http://www.head-fi.org/t/613703/shure-srh-940-crack-and-their-service

 

Hmm.. I bought mine through ebay seller, not 100 percent sure if he was authorized dealer or not. However, brand new, never opened. I'm not too certain if they would accept that.. I believe they require a receipt. However, I still got all the receipts from ebay and paypal of the purchase of the headphone 

 

Yeah I also had higher expectations for Shure's build quality as well.. :/

post #3591 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhuidk View Post

Haha yeah.. Here's the thread I started on it http://www.head-fi.org/t/613703/shure-srh-940-crack-and-their-service

 

Hmm.. I bought mine through ebay seller, not 100 percent sure if he was authorized dealer or not. However, brand new, never opened. I'm not too certain if they would accept that.. I believe they require a receipt. However, I still got all the receipts from ebay and paypal of the purchase of the headphone 

 

Yeah I also had higher expectations for Shure's build quality as well.. :/


Shure...

 

I was thinking of holding off on the 1-time replacement for as long as possible. My headband is still usable on settings 0 or 1, and like you mentioned in the other thread, it feels like the right earcup is floating on my head when it's on 2 or more.

 

What closed-back, semi-portable headphone can compare to the SRH940 in terms of sound quality? I was originally thinking of purchasing a K701, but I would need to buy a decent amp and I wouldn't be able to use that on the bus. >.>


Edited by miceblue - 8/20/12 at 10:27am
post #3592 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

I was thinking of holding off on the 1-time replacement for as long as possible. My headband is still usable on settings 0 or 1, and like you mentioned in the other thread, it feels like the right earcup is floating on my head when it's on 2 or more.

 

Try super gluing them! I tried a different super glue and it managed to survive more than 2-3 months and it's still attached very well together. I guess I'm going to be returning them at the very last moment since it's only one time replacement.. angry_face.gif The first super glue I used didn't hold that long.. like a week or so

 

I really don't want to sell my 940 however.. I absolutely love its signature sound and I still will do later in the future. ARGGHHH stupid cracks. Someone should try calling Shure for its poor quality plastic and so many users are having the same problem..


Edited by Rhuidk - 8/20/12 at 10:51am
post #3593 of 3844

Okay guys I just received the cable from my front door and... something is wrong with the cable. There is a severe damage inside the cable.. You can barely hear the mids, the highs are all jacked up, and no lows whatsoever. It just simply does not sound right whatsoever.. I tried with the original stock cable to see if something was wrong with the headphone, but the headphone is perfectly fine with the stock cable. 

 

Bobjs, did this happen to you? 

 

EDIT: I listened with the cable little more and the lows are perfectly fine. It's just the mids and the highs that are all jacked up. 

I think there's a problem with the 2.5mm jack that gets inserted into the headphone. Whenever I touch that part, even just a little touch changes the music, and sometimes, you can't even hear the song... 


Edited by Rhuidk - 8/20/12 at 12:42pm
post #3594 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhuidk View Post

Okay guys I just received the cable from my front door and... something is wrong with the cable. There is a severe damage inside the cable.. You can barely hear the mids, the highs are all jacked up, and no lows whatsoever. It just simply does not sound right whatsoever.. I tried with the original stock cable to see if something was wrong with the headphone, but the headphone is perfectly fine with the stock cable. 

 

Bobjs, did this happen to you? 

 

EDIT: I listened with the cable little more and the lows are perfectly fine. It's just the mids and the highs that are all jacked up. 

I think there's a problem with the 2.5mm jack that gets inserted into the headphone. Whenever I touch that part, even just a little touch changes the music, and sometimes, you can't even hear the song... 


Yes.... this happened to me...... before I realized how to align the keying on the side that plugs into the headphone ..... look closely at the plug and you'll see there are 2 parallel straight edges. Now look inside the receptacle on the headphones.... notice the straight egdes inside?  I found it a little tricky to get proper alignment when inserting the plug.

 

Bottom line --- your plug isn't inserted all the way into the receptacle.

post #3595 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJS View Post


Yes.... this happened to me...... before I realized how to align the keying on the side that plugs into the headphone ..... look closely at the plug and you'll see there are 2 parallel straight edges. Now look inside the receptacle on the headphones.... notice the straight egdes inside?  I found it a little tricky to get proper alignment when inserting the plug.

Bottom line --- your plug isn't inserted all the way into the receptacle.

Ah ha! Now it works perfectly fine. Thank you!
I'll post my thoughts later on after listening with the cable more:D
post #3596 of 3844

FYI, there is a round side and the flat side on the 2.5mm jack along with the parallel. You must plug in the round side portion into the front side of the headphone, also aligning the parallel side with the inside. If you put the round portion of the cable backwards of the headphone, the music is going to sound awful, no question asked. I had little bit of trouble of finding out how to make it work. 

 

Now, onto my impression. 

 

On the first few days, I decided to switch back and forth between the cables to see if there were any difference I could pick up. Unfortunately, I didn't notice any change at all. I actually felt like the stock cable was doing a better job. 

my source was just the iPhone 4 by itself, so I probably had bit more trouble distinguishing the difference between the two.  All my songs were lossless, however.

 

With little disappointment, I decided to just use the cable for couple of days then switch back to the stock cable to see if I can tell any difference. After using the custom cable for couple of days, I went back to the stock and I was able to tell the difference although it was just the iPhone. The difference I noticed were the clarity and sound stage. The stock cable feels bit more laid back and bit more darker and gloomy. Also the custom cable had bit more superior sound stage and better instrumental separation. Clarity and the separation of the instruments were really nice bonus to my 940. 

 

my only complaint however, was the build quality of the 2.5mm jack portion. 2.5mm jack really needs to be improved I feel like. Even with a slight movement of your body, there is a good chance the songs are going to sound awful and hurt your ears because the connection between the cable and the headphone isn't as tight as the stock ones

 

Now, I'm really wishing I had a better source to drive the headphone.. I feel like there will be even more upgrade than what I have found out last week. 

 

Oh and just to let you guys know, the cable was sent yesterday to John in Cali, USPS Priority mail. I checked the tracking number and it does look like he did received them earlier today. 

 

Thank you Lilee for making this possible! 

 

EDIT: Just realized it's 2 am and is Wednesday right now. The cable was shipped on monday :D


Edited by Rhuidk - 8/29/12 at 1:58am
post #3597 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhuidk View Post

FYI, there is a round side and the flat side on the 2.5mm jack along with the parallel. You must plug in the round side portion into the front side of the headphone, also aligning the parallel side with the inside. If you put the round portion of the cable backwards of the headphone, the music is going to sound awful, no question asked. I had little bit of trouble of finding out how to make it work. 

 

Now, onto my impression. 

 

On the first few days, I decided to switch back and forth between the cables to see if there were any difference I could pick up. Unfortunately, I didn't notice any change at all. I actually felt like the stock cable was doing a better job. 

my source was just the iPhone 4 by itself, so I probably had bit more trouble distinguishing the difference between the two.  All my songs were lossless, however.

 

With little disappointment, I decided to just use the cable for couple of days then switch back to the stock cable to see if I can tell any difference. After using the custom cable for couple of days, I went back to the stock and I was able to tell the difference although it was just the iPhone. The difference I noticed were the clarity and sound stage. The stock cable feels bit more laid back and bit more darker and gloomy. Also the custom cable had bit more superior sound stage and better instrumental separation. Clarity and the separation of the instruments were really nice bonus to my 940. 

 

my only complaint however, was the build quality of the 2.5mm jack portion. 2.5mm jack really needs to be improved I feel like. Even with a slight movement of your body, there is a good chance the songs are going to sound awful and hurt your ears because the connection between the cable and the headphone isn't as tight as the stock ones

 

Now, I'm really wishing I had a better source to drive the headphone.. I feel like there will be even more upgrade than what I have found out last week. 

 

Oh and just to let you guys know, the cable was sent yesterday to John in Cali, USPS Priority mail. I checked the tracking number and it does look like he did received them earlier today. 

 

Thank you Lilee for making this possible! 

 

EDIT: Just realized it's 2 am and is Wednesday right now. The cable was shipped on monday :D

Ya sorry meant to PM you too(PM'd Lilee) I did get the cable.  Thanks for the impressions.  I'll be posting mine later.

post #3598 of 3844

Well, after my time with the SPC cable from Lillee I have found no change at all between it and standard copper cable. 

I tested with as many DAC amps and music's possible.  Everytime i thought i heard something different from the normal cable i would go back to it and would find it was just placebo and they sounded exactly alike.  

Tried at first with my M-Audio delta 192, a fairly high end DAC, with files all the way up to 24/196. After a 2 days of switching between cables, i decided to try my other sources. Didn't hear anything on my decent vintage turntable, or phone, or any other source in the house.  So i went to my friends house and tried on his Rega P1 and Bifrost. Neither of which led to me hearing any changes between the cables. 

I liked the idea of a nice looking custom silver cable. But Theres no way i would drop money on one now. Thanks to Lillee for giving me the opportunity to get to hear one for myself with me having to drop money on it.

post #3599 of 3844

Just out of curiosity, how loud was the background noise/which part of the day when testing the cable?

I noticed when testing the cable, or even just casually listening, I notice a huge difference depending on how loud the background noise is or which part of the day I listen to them. For me, the difference is like night and day difference. 


Edited by Rhuidk - 9/12/12 at 9:22pm
post #3600 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhuidk View Post

Just out of curiosity, how loud was the background noise/which part of the day when testing the cable?

I noticed when testing the cable, or even just casually listening, I notice a huge difference depending on how loud the background noise is or which part of the day I listen to them. For me, the difference is like night and day difference. 

I live in the suburbs quite a quite room. Background noise was the occasional cricket chirp. And I listened to it all the way into 3 am.

"night and day difference" pun intended? haha.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread