or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread - Page 239

post #3571 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


Interesting observations. What was your setup before using the AudioQuest Dragonfly?

 

I use a Fiio E7 with my MacBook right now since I'm not ready to shell out $200+ for a DAC/amp yet. I'm not too Shure if I would be able to detect the differences should I use the custom cable.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJS View Post


I was using a Fiio E17, which I previously (and still!) love.  I think the dragonfly is a step up from the Fiio, but to be fair, I should go back and repeat my experiment using the Fiio E17 with lossless material only.  I DID try ~190 or ~256 kpbs through the Dragonfly and found it extremely difficult to discern a consistent difference between the 2 cables.  From my experience, if you're not using lossless, or near-loss material, the other variables won't make as much of a difference.

 

Just to clarify .... I went back to the E17 and played only CDs (lossless) .... and once again had a very difficult time distinguishing between stock and custom cables.  With the dragonfly .... no problem.  So you WILL need a decent source (not sure if your E7 will cut it).  At least to these ears. YMMV

post #3572 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJS View Post

Just to clarify .... I went back to the E17 and played only CDs (lossless) .... and once again had a very difficult time distinguishing between stock and custom cables.  With the dragonfly .... no problem.  So you WILL need a decent source (not sure if your E7 will cut it).  At least to these ears. YMMV

Is the your dragonfly this one? http://www.head-fi.org/t/617241/audioquest-dragonfly-review-affordable-outstanding-tiny-dac-amp

 

And, I currently have a Digizoid ZO 2.3 as my source.. Do you think this will cut it?

post #3573 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhuidk View Post

Is the your dragonfly this one? http://www.head-fi.org/t/617241/audioquest-dragonfly-review-affordable-outstanding-tiny-dac-amp

 

And, I currently have a Digizoid ZO 2.3 as my source.. Do you think this will cut it?


There is only ome Audpoquest Dragonfly and it is definitely better than Audioengine D1 or especially E17

post #3574 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillee View Post

You must sort out all of your source gear first such as running lossless music through a decent DAC and AMP setup, as well as interconnect cables etc 

 

 

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a Digizoid ZO 2.3 simply an equaliser? I think you will need to try and beg/borrow a better setup, DAC/Amp for next week to get the best out of the cable Rhuidk... Anyway you will know for yourself soon enough.

 

The cable is only one link in the very long chain. An iPod or iPhone or any-all-in one DAP (except maybe a DX100 or Hifiman etc) isn't what I would classify as "head-fi", so changing a cable probably isn't going to matter much in the scheme of things.

post #3575 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillee View Post

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a Digizoid ZO 2.3 simply an equaliser? I think you will need to try and beg/borrow a better setup, DAC/Amp for next week to get the best out of the cable Rhuidk... Anyway you will know for yourself soon enough.

 

The cable is only one link in the very long chain. An iPod or iPhone or any-all-in one DAP (except maybe a DX100 or Hifiman etc) isn't what I would classify as "head-fi", so changing a cable probably isn't going to matter much in the scheme of things.

I guess you can call Digizoid a equalizer but that's not all to it. I guess you can call it an amp as well? It uses a smartvektor technology which is a new kind of a tech that it doesn't really belong to a certain group at all. maybe reading headfonia review will help you little bit. http://www.headfonia.com/the-smartvektor-digizoid-zo/

 

Yeah, I guess I will find more about it when it arrives next week..
Just out of curiosity, how does DAP come into play in the quality of songs? Isn't the quality of the songs only factor that matters? I guess it would if you are using mini to mini cable from iPhone. All of my songs are lossless and they come through the Line Out Dock so the iPhone's own amp doesn't come into play.. Well that was my understanding. Please correct me if I'm wrong

post #3576 of 3844

The DAC which converts digital to analog is also important but it isn't bypassed

post #3577 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJS View Post

Just to clarify .... I went back to the E17 and played only CDs (lossless) .... and once again had a very difficult time distinguishing between stock and custom cables.  With the dragonfly .... no problem.  So you WILL need a decent source (not sure if your E7 will cut it).  At least to these ears. YMMV

 

Mmk, thank you for your observations. Since the E17 is an upgraded version of the E7 and you have a hard time identifying the differences between cables with that set up, I will respectfully decline from the cable tour list.

 

Thank you for offering this opportunity though Lillee.

post #3578 of 3844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhuidk View Post

Yeah, I guess I will find more about it when it arrives next week..

Just out of curiosity, how does DAP come into play in the quality of songs? Isn't the quality of the songs only factor that matters? I guess it would if you are using mini to mini cable from iPhone. All of my songs are lossless and they come through the Line Out Dock so the iPhone's own amp doesn't come into play.. Well that was my understanding. Please correct me if I'm wrong

 

This:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olegausany View Post

The DAC which converts digital to analog is also important but it isn't bypassed

 

Basically your iPod does 3 things: 1) Store music, 2) decodes music using an onboard DAC, 3) amplifies music. By using a LOD from the 30 pin connector out to mini you are bypassing the amplifier yes, but the it does not bypass the onboard DAC. In the mid to high end this will be the weakest link, a generic Wolfsen or later Cirrus Logic chip and circuit design just doesn't resolve as well as a high end Wolfson, AKG, ESS etc DAC chip and circuit can. You lose a lot of micro details and frequency extension which effects soundstage etc.

 

Essentially no matter how good your amp is, it is only amplifying a "degraded" signal from the iPod. For iDevices, this can be solved with a Fostex HP-P1 or Cyber Labs Algorythm Solo but they are $500 to $700. For other types of DAPs or PCs there are many commercial DAC offerings too.

 

 

 

 

 

Regarding the Digizoid: From what I have read, what it does is not exactly erm... audiophile. This from Headfonia review confirms my suspicions:

 

"Obviously it would’ve been better if they can use higher quality components so you don’t lose the detail level and the frequency extension"

 

"I can notice some details taken out of the signal and the rolling off of top treble and bottom bass."

 

What it essentially is saying is that there is a sound improvement but from a "manufactured" process of elimination of some details and amplification of other details to create a coloured presentation. This is not "audiophile", this is a coloured presentation, much like Beats by Dr.Dre's (which are held in such high regard here...)... 

 

By the way I am curious that you have a Digizoid (which is essentially a Bass booster) with a pair of earphones that are very bass light... you should look into a pair of DT1350's or something, that might me more up your alley... 

 

Anyway PLEASE don't take this in any way as an attack on you or the Digizoid, just merely an observation and honest opinion. Having not heard the Digizoid you can only take what I say with a grain of salt. wink.gif PM Me Rhuidk, lets talk upgrades I love talking upgrades L3000.gif

 

 

 

 

 

 

My suggestion is to try it with and without the Digizoid, and if at all possible try it with a better amp/dac setup. Who knows, maybe you will get different/improved sound from cable change, we can't rule that out. Anyway no obligation to buy Rhuidk


Edited by Lillee - 8/14/12 at 9:22pm
post #3579 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhuidk View Post

Is the your dragonfly this one? http://www.head-fi.org/t/617241/audioquest-dragonfly-review-affordable-outstanding-tiny-dac-amp

 

And, I currently have a Digizoid ZO 2.3 as my source.. Do you think this will cut it?


I'm just catching up from overnight..... looks like all the questions have been addressed, but yes, that is the dragonfly DAC/amp I used.  Incidentally, I actually owned the ZO 2 for a few weeks before I sent it back.  Nothing at all against it, it just wasn't what I was looking for and I did notice some rolloff of the highs as has been pointed out.  My guess is it would not help in distinguishing between the custom and stock cables.

post #3580 of 3844

SRH940 Custom Cable World Tour List:

BobJS <-- Cable is here, leaves Friday

Rhuidk

John In Cali

CB3874

Thunder240

 

Already paid for outright:

totozero

BobJS

 

Just a reminder that cost is $50 unless I get an order of 10 or more which saves on postage enough to reduce the price to $40. So far I've been ordering parts to make one unit at a time. This price includes postage. The cables will come in Black and measure 1.5m at this price.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillee View Post

Hello SRH940 brothers in arms,

 

I have been contemplating writing a post like this for weeks, but because I am not in the market to make cables for strangers so I've been reluctant to do so. But after my recent experience with my beloved SRH940, I feel compelled to do this. I feel like I owe it to all of you who also love SRH940...

 

I've dabbled in making my own custom cable for SRH940 and made a pure silver cable as well as now settled on a cheaper, but still reasonable spec Silver Plated Copper cable, stranded with teflon coating. The differences from original straight or curled cable sound quality wise is phenomenal! The difference is extremely noticeable and substantial in all aspects, mids, bass. I attribute this to the very thin original cable, I've cut one up and inspected it and can't tell you how disappointed I was...

 

Anyway, I can make these cables for anyone who is interested. One thing straight: I am not trying to make money out of this, I want to do it out of the kindness of my heart honestly, feeling that you guys really need to hear SRH940 with custom cables, and what you're all missing out on. I want to do this for head-fi members because I've gotten so much from Head-Fi, I believe I should give some back sometimes... It's my hobby, and since you guys share this hobby too, I feel I owe it to you to...

 

Now with that out of the way, I can make them any length you want, with any connectors you want, in any colour sleeve you want. I can even make it red like those beats cables you see around (if that takes your fancy). I plan to just offer plain black with black plugs but there are many options. I am thinking that in total the cost will be ~$50 for the cable for all materials plus postage to anywhere in the world. It takes about 2 hours to make one cable no joke so I am not going to get rich anytime soon. So for now I am only going to offer to the first 10 interested SRH940 owning members (don't fancy spending all my spare time on cables making no profit!!!)

 

EDIT: Here is what I wrote months back when mucking around with custom cables: http://www.head-fi.org/t/533716/shure-srh-940/3405

 

What I want to know is how many of you are interested in this, if at all? If noone is interested then pfft no worries, saves me time and hassle. If you are interested, PM me and I will take it from there, including pics and cable options. Please, no time wasters. If you do not want a custom cable for your SRH940 and are not willing to pay $50pp then don't PM me!

 

I was thinking, if interest is high, I can let one custom made cable do a world tour of Head-Fi so you can all try it out yourselves. Anyway PM me

 

Mods: Sorry if I am breaking any rules, but I really am not trying to make a buck from this. $50 is really cutting it fine on my own costs! Solder, plugs, and most of all time.

 

Here are the optional sleeve colours available for the cable: http://de.mdpc-x.com/mdpc-sleeve/sleeve.htm

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillee View Post

Hey Bob,

 

Good on you for at least being willing. No obligation to buy at this stage, will add you to the "World Tour" list

 

As promised here are the pictures. First few are of the cable itself.

 

400400400

(Click on the pics to see bigger pics)

 

The next pic shows the original cable on the left with the three very thin strands. The right is the teflon coated, stranded, Silver Plated Copper cable that I propose to use in the $50 cable, there will be 3 of these in a braid, then sleeved. The connector is a gold plated Sennheiser branded plug but the proposed plug will be a black Furutech gold plated plug which I feel is better quality. The other side is a customised 2.5mm connector that slips into the Shure connector via friction. It is very secure and does not need twist lock action to secure it. No damage or modification to the headphones themselves. I use Cardas Quad Eutectic solder. I propose a 1.5meter (5ft) length

 

 

1000

post #3581 of 3844

"World Tour" cable boxed, postage-paid, going out Priority Mail to Rhuidk tomorrow (Friday)!

 

 

Bob
 

post #3582 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillee View Post

What it essentially is saying is that there is a sound improvement but from a "manufactured" process of elimination of some details and amplification of other details to create a coloured presentation. This is not "audiophile", this is a coloured presentation, much like Beats by Dr.Dre's (which are held in such high regard here...)... 

 

By the way I am curious that you have a Digizoid (which is essentially a Bass booster) with a pair of earphones that are very bass light... you should look into a pair of DT1350's or something, that might me more up your alley... 

 

Anyway PLEASE don't take this in any way as an attack on you or the Digizoid, just merely an observation and honest opinion. Having not heard the Digizoid you can only take what I say with a grain of salt. wink.gif PM Me Rhuidk, lets talk upgrades I love talking upgrades L3000.gif

 

 

 

My suggestion is to try it with and without the Digizoid, and if at all possible try it with a better amp/dac setup. Who knows, maybe you will get different/improved sound from cable change, we can't rule that out. Anyway no obligation to buy Rhuidk

 

Oh dang.. After reading this, I'm really questioning myself with the Digizoid.. When I first got my Digizoid, I thought the rolloff of the highs were refining the highs instead of cutting them. However, after reading these comments, I'm starting to realize it isn't really refining the highs at all but instead cutting off the highs. 

 

Even my Digizoid was a huge investment I put into.. I was never going to purchase a separate amp when I first got my headphone.

 

I'm sort of thinking of selling my Digizoid and purchase a new portable amp with little more investment. I'm kind of leaning towards Fiio E17, but what BobJS said is kind of worrying me little.. Hahaha

Or maybe even sell both units.. my 940 has so many cracks right now soo whenever I get a warranty replacement before the 2 year warranty ends, I have to sell mine no matter what.. Shure 940 just doesn't like my head. mad.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillee View Post

 

Basically your iPod does 3 things: 1) Store music, 2) decodes music using an onboard DAC, 3) amplifies music. By using a LOD from the 30 pin connector out to mini you are bypassing the amplifier yes, but the it does not bypass the onboard DAC. In the mid to high end this will be the weakest link, a generic Wolfsen or later Cirrus Logic chip and circuit design just doesn't resolve as well as a high end Wolfson, AKG, ESS etc DAC chip and circuit can. You lose a lot of micro details and frequency extension which effects soundstage etc.

Ohhh so it does not bypass the onboard DAC of the iPhone.. How bad is the onboard DAC of the iPhone? Is there an portable amp that has the functionality of the DAC that allows to bypass the DAC of the iPhone that aren't Fostex HP-P1 or Cyber Labs Algorythm Solo? (Cheaper solutions)

Just out of curiosity, if you are using usb with the computer, does it bypass the onboard DAC of the laptop?

 

Thank you for your replies guys! I truly appreciate them biggrin.gif even though it's kind of disappointing me little.. hahaha

EDIT: disspointing me little about my investment into Digizoid


Edited by Rhuidk - 8/16/12 at 9:18pm
post #3583 of 3844

I'm still a newbie to this audiophile world so please bear with me guysredface.gif

post #3584 of 3844

You have PMs wink_face.gif

post #3585 of 3844

Does anyone want an extra SRH940 cable, ear pad set, case, or other accessories? You can have them if you want for essentially shipping costs. Otherwise I'm going to end up throwing them away anyway.

 

The SRH940 was just too small for my head and ended up snapping the headband. Shure replaced it under warranty for a brand new unit, which I've since sold. Because their warranty asked only for the headphone unit without ANY accessories attached, I still have the extra cable, earpads, case, etc.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread