Actually, there's an imbalance on the srh940, due to the fact that left and right cups are not designed the same (one receive connection) . Someone once posted pics of inside, too lazy to search them (I think it was with bakka mod).
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/18/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 1/18/11
- brandShuretagged by System, 1/18/11
- productShure SE215tagged by System, 12/15/11
- productShure SRH 550 DJtagged by System, 1/26/11
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 1/26/11
- productShure SRH 940tagged by System, 1/20/11
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone else actually prefer the Shure SRH940s over their younger brother 840s? Last post on 12/11/11 at 9:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Which of these headphones are the best for me... Last post on 1/13/13 at 7:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- What $200 headphones have detachable cables? Last post on 7/24/12 at 7:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Disclaimer I got this unit as part of New Zealand tour arranged by @Brooko & @Andykong, thank you very much for including me in this tour :) Introduction I am just another music fans in this...
Ok so it is 2017 and I'm late to the party but I just got this headphone from Singapore Jaben because it seems they were clearing their stock. I got this for a whooping $34.90 SGD!! When I looked...
Have you ever felt like the spark that used to be there just vanished? That the world, once bright and colorful became bland and dull over time? That you no longer feel the joy, the excitement and...
Work in progress. I need to practice my English a bit...
Heard these with Chord Hugo and boy oh boy was I unimpressed... These are not worth anywhere their price point where their sound is concerned. Decently comfortable though. (The sound signature...
Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread - Page 232
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3467 of 38446/29/12 at 5:03pmQuote:
No, seriously, the inside of one has a tiny tiny chip and wires, the differences should NOT change the sound to an any where close to audible level.post #3468 of 38446/29/12 at 7:10pmpost #3469 of 38446/29/12 at 7:52pmQuote:Any songs or artists that you guys find it astonishing on the Shure 940?
Rammstein, mein teil.
nine inch nail, starf***
album "converting vegetarians" by infected mushrooms
Lustmord , heresy album (scary sub bass).
All I remind.post #3470 of 38446/29/12 at 11:50pmpost #3471 of 38446/30/12 at 3:15pmQuote:
Adele sounds particularly lovely on the SRH 940. "Someone Like You" almost seems like she is giving you a live performance. Cant really say the same when I listen to that song on the Audio Technica M50 or the Sennheiser HD 598.post #3472 of 38446/30/12 at 8:22pmQuote:
Doesn't all the songs of Adele sound too distant? I thought Adele would sound marvelous on the 940 since 940 does very well with female vocals, but her voice sounds very far away from my ears making her voice not as great as it could be. Try comparing one of the songs of Mindy Gledhill and Adele's. You will be able to tell a big difference.post #3473 of 38446/30/12 at 9:05pmSource hardware has a lot to do with it too, Adele sounds great on the Fostex. Enya is also very very good, as is Diana Krall and Norah Jonespost #3474 of 38447/1/12 at 8:07pm
Someone said the JVC FXD80 sounds like the SRH-1440, apart from the spaciousness and open-air or something, haha!
The SRH-940 sounded so good to me, and the 1440 is supposed to be a bit better right? Can't imagine a cheap IEM competing, but the impressions of it are kinda exciting.
This is just FYI, for any Shure users looking for an IEM, that don't want to pay $250+ for the SE425, which is still missing the very top octave and such.post #3475 of 38447/1/12 at 11:23pm
It was me that made the comments about the FXD80 but I feel they more like the 1840 than the 940 or 1440 for sound. Which while sounding like high praise isn't as high considering I prefer the 940/1440 signature more than the 1840 signature. So the jury is still out about how I feel about them.
They also do not have the same level of detail as the Shure's as well spaciousness and open sound. But they are the nicest sounding JVC I have heard and they do have offer a very nice sound for their price.post #3476 of 38447/2/12 at 12:09amQuote:They also do not have the same level of detail as the Shure's as well spaciousness and open sound.
As I was listening to Someone like you or any songs that are included in the album 21, I noticed that they all echo in the background very quietly. Is this kind of the detail that the 940 or any other Shure headphones shine compared to other headphones in terms of details? I wasn't quite sure what it means by 940's level of details. Doesn't the quality of the song and how the song was recorded affect the details quite a lot despite which headphone you wear?post #3477 of 38447/2/12 at 10:33amDetail can be things like echo, but can just as often be the whisper of fingers on the strings of a guitar, or the breath of the singer in a microphone etc. this makes detail retrieval good but sometimes not so good as you can sometimes hear detail that is accidental or detracting from the music. Detail can be great on well recorded music but badly recorded and low bitrate rips will be exposed for what they are.post #3478 of 38447/2/12 at 10:42amQuote:Originally Posted by dweaver
Detail can be things like echo, but can just as often be the whisper of fingers on the strings of a guitar, or the breath of the singer in a microphone etc. this makes detail retrieval good but sometimes not so good as you can sometimes hear detail that is accidental or detracting from the music. Detail can be great on well recorded music but badly recorded and low bitrate rips will be exposed for what they are.
Yes, the 940s taught me a lot about the variance in recording quality out there. It's funny how I now have all of the artists that I listen to segmented into these little corners of my mind now based upon how meticulous they are with their studio work :Ppost #3479 of 38447/2/12 at 11:15am
Resolution is like blu-ray on a 64" plasma. Detail is everything from how natural the colours look, to how enhanced they look, to how faded and low contrast they look, to how much ghosting they have, to the hertz rate, to the glossy or matte screen surface, to the OLED, LCD or CRT type pixels, etc.
I'd say almost all headphones are "faded" and have fairly weak colours, the SRH-940 has more convincing colours especially for it's price bracket, so it sounds more detailed, imv.post #3480 of 38447/2/12 at 12:57pm
There's a combination of true details + fake details.
Depending of how you are wearing the headphone and/or the source, the 9khz treble peak can bother you, and put emphasis on unwanted details such like background hiss.
Maybe the burn in, helps to tame this phenomenon.
Edited by extrabigmehdi - 7/2/12 at 1:02pm
- Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Fiio M3 or X1, number of tracks 50 seconds ago
- › The DIY'rs Cookbook 51 seconds ago
- › Ortofon eq 5, modhouse argons, open alpha dogs, nhoord build. Zen 1... 2 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 3 minutes ago
- › Can someone give me incontrovertible, empirical evidence that "burn... 4 minutes ago
- › Ruizu X06 Review 4 minutes ago
- › Tube amp for Focal Elear ? 5 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 6 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Cayin i5 by daduy
- › Goldring DR150 High Fidelity Stereo Headphones by themindfreak
- › Sparkos Labs SS3602 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ by VintageFlanker
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by GirgleMirt
- › Onkyo E700M In-ear headphones Black with microphone by doraymon
- › K240 DF by asymcon
- › TWag V4 Litz ciem replacement cable by tex thai
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by Varun Shankar
- › Panasonic RP-HT460E-K by PETEBULL
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear