or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread - Page 21

post #301 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post




In same boat ..... also have to convince my lovely wife that I need them.  In her words - 'you only have one set of ears!'   How little does she know wink_face.gif

 

you only have one set of legs, and one set of feet. So why do you have 23 pairs of pants and X amount of shoes*my arguement*
 

 

post #302 of 3844
I'm also curious to see how the 840 pads will be on the 940's. With that said, however... I am even more curious to see 940 pads on the lower models. I've always preferred velour over leather for the comfort factor as well as keeping your ears cooler with closed back circumaural headphones.
post #303 of 3844

Quote:

Originally Posted by Germancub View Post

I'm also curious to see how the 840 pads will be on the 940's. With that said, however... I am even more curious to see 940 pads on the lower models. I've always preferred velour over leather for the comfort factor as well as keeping your ears cooler with closed back circumaural headphones.

 

I have the 940 pads on my 440's, I wouldn't say they are much more comfy, just different. Quite like the feel of the 840 pads for these phones.

 

Looking forward to trying the 940's, hopefully in the near future!
 

post #304 of 3844

Me thinks the reduced bass impact is probably what creates the perception of improved clarity?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by complex View Post

So I got my 840 back from Shure (actually a brand new one).

 

840and940.jpg

 

Initial thoughts:

 

Compared to the 940, the 840 sounds dark and syrupy. The improved clarity of the 940 is really nice, but the bass is a bit less imapctful and I miss that. Soundstage with the 940 might be slightly better, or it could just seem that way because of the cleaner sound. Vocals seem a bit closer with the 940.

 

The 940 fits my head slightly better, as it's bigger (only just barely) at max extension, and the 840 always felt tight. Since I have leather 840 pads on both, no difference there.



 


Edited by vlach - 5/22/11 at 1:13am
post #305 of 3844

Possibly, but not necessarily.

post #306 of 3844

Update:

 

4 days later and I am still loving these headphones. 

 

I ended up picking up the Asus Xonar STX sound card because after playing with these a bit on my old sound card I was finding one thing to be glaringly obvious---they needed more power behind em. After reading a bit I figured the Xonar with its built in amp might be worth a try. Now my ears are enjoying the never ending audio orgy these headphones are providing gs1000.gif. Now I am waiting for some replacement opamps for the card. I have no clue what an opamp is, but I went solely off the reviews on this site and am giving some a try. Since I know this is not the sound card forum I am not going to ask, but if anyone has any info to share regarding my current setup that may be of help to a certified noob please enlighten me. 

 

p.s. Completely off subject but has anyone else noticed that damn near ALL of Fry's products sold in store are open box crap that have that "reduced price" sticker slapped on them saying they inspected it? Its all b.s.!!! (They were the only ones who had the sound card in stock locally and thus I was forced to purchase an open box one-AGH! angry_face.gif)

 

post #307 of 3844

Hmm, maybe Fry's likes to "test" their products first.  You know, so their employees can have fun with them-I mean make sure they're working properly.rolleyes.gif

post #308 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspwj15 View Post

Update:

 

4 days later and I am still loving these headphones. 

 

I ended up picking up the Asus Xonar STX sound card because after playing with these a bit on my old sound card I was finding one thing to be glaringly obvious---they needed more power behind em. After reading a bit I figured the Xonar with its built in amp might be worth a try. Now my ears are enjoying the never ending audio orgy these headphones are providing gs1000.gif. Now I am waiting for some replacement opamps for the card. I have no clue what an opamp is, but I went solely off the reviews on this site and am giving some a try. Since I know this is not the sound card forum I am not going to ask, but if anyone has any info to share regarding my current setup that may be of help to a certified noob please enlighten me. 

 

p.s. Completely off subject but has anyone else noticed that damn near ALL of Fry's products sold in store are open box crap that have that "reduced price" sticker slapped on them saying they inspected it? Its all b.s.!!! (They were the only ones who had the sound card in stock locally and thus I was forced to purchase an open box one-AGH! angry_face.gif)

 



I had a part time job @ Fry's for about a month ( I resigned after my limited $500.00 first year employee discount ran out ) I was told all headphones that were returned would be shipped back to vendor(s) due to hygiene issue. 

 

post #309 of 3844

Hmh, I didn't actually look at the headphones there... My issue relates to the PC products they sell. When I got the Asus soundcard I just noticed that right near this sound card, their were about 5-6 other boxes of other soundcards that had the "reduced price" sticker on them. The comical thing to me about these stickers is they say they "thoroughly inspect" prior to reselling them. Well, about 4 years ago I purchased a laptop from Fry's(big mistake), which unsurprisingly had one of these stickers on it, and at the time I was too naive to think they would be stupid enough to put a sticker on a product that hadn't been checked. Come to find out the friggin laptop was missing its BATTERY!!!! So, now every time I see those stickers I have to think in my head how much of a load of crap they are. It should be noted that the Fry's got such a piece of my mind that the store manager ended up driving 35 miles to bring me a replacement battery. I have actually grown to hate purchasing products in local stores now because of the repeated issues I have had.

 

Best Buy, Fry's etc etc---the world would be better without them.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDOAN View Post





I had a part time job @ Fry's for about a month ( I resigned after my limited $500.00 first year employee discount ran out ) I was told all headphones that were returned would be shipped back to vendor(s) due to hygiene issue. 

 



 

post #310 of 3844
Getting back on topic, my 940's arrive tomorrow and I'm teeming with excitement. Has anybody else heard them yet??
post #311 of 3844

Mine will arrive next week ^_^

post #312 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germancub View Post

Getting back on topic, my 940's arrive tomorrow and I'm teeming with excitement. Has anybody else heard them yet??


It'll be good to hear your impressions of my review I plan on posting shortly (next few days)

 

Many hours in and I'm still not hearing the bass impact grow...  so far these definitely have some of the lightest bass I have heard in a headphone, especially of this caliber.

It makes up for it in other areas though :)

post #313 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Audiohead View Post

It'll be good to hear your impressions of my review I plan on posting shortly (next few days)

 

Many hours in and I'm still not hearing the bass impact grow...  so far these definitely have some of the lightest bass I have heard in a headphone, especially of this caliber.

It makes up for it in other areas though :)



Hmm, how's does the SRH940's bass compare to your HD448's?

 

post #314 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital-Pride View Post



Hmm, how's does the SRH940's bass compare to your HD448's?

 



This is definitely going to be mentioned in the review.  This might cause some of you to cringe, but at this moment in time I am finding the Shure's response in the sub-bass region to have even less impact than the HD448.  As you climb the ladder into the midbass region the tonal response of the Shure certainly outdoes the Senn however.  It might be worthy to note that I am one of the few people who think the HD448 actually has some low end response (I know I'm not alone, but certainly not in the majority).  I'm currently finding the low end in the Shures to be very tonal and less impactful - this even being the case when amped behind the e9.  Some consider the SP-1 to be bass light, and I promise against the 940 those who feel that way may second guess that opinion.  This isn't to discount the tonal extension at all, just the impact.

 

The highs are a VERY different story, and I feel embody the strengths of this headphone.  More on this later--

post #315 of 3844

I am eagerly awaiting your review as well R-Audiohead.

 

On a somewhat related note, anyone know where to get this in Canada without exorbitant extra shipping? One of the places mentioned in the thread won't ship it to Canada, the other wants $40 in shipping, which seems a bit much. Maybe I'll have to check on amazon or ebay.

 

Kindof wish I hadn't missed out of FutureShop's sale of the 840, but now I can choose between the 840 still left online in some places, or the 940. Not exactly sure what to do yet...
 

Edited to add: R-Audiohead, I hope you mention in your review what kind of music are you using for your auditioning. I mostly listen to classical, so I'm not super concerned with having copious amounts of bass, but I think I do prefer a little extra in the low end typically.


Edited by hwgasdfasdf - 5/24/11 at 2:58pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread