or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread - Page 182

post #2716 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

You two are treble heads.  Nothing wrong with it - but don't try to convince me that boosting treble on the SRH940 has anything to do with realism wink.gif



You own the alessandro ms1 modded. I fail to see you disliking treble.

 

The alessandro ms1 has way more treble the these and they have less bass aswell.

 

The alessandro ms1 is a fake sounding headphone imo.

post #2717 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post



You own the alessandro ms1 modded. I fail to see you disliking treble.

 

The alessandro ms1 has way more treble the these and they have less bass aswell.

 

The alessandro ms1 is a fake sounding headphone imo.


Never said the MS1i was realistic - where did you get that from?  It happens to be very good for rock and blues - which is what I use it for.  I realise it's coloured - it's also fun.  Oh - and I'd argue that the MS1i has less bass.  Mine's been modified, and it definitely has more (mainly mid-bass) than the SRH940.  But you're diverting what I was saying.

 

The 940 is not a neutral can.  Be happy it's not - it obviously suits you.

post #2718 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post


Never said the MS1i was realistic - where did you get that from?  It happens to be very good for rock and blues - which is what I use it for.  I realise it's coloured - it's also fun.  Oh - and I'd argue that the MS1i has less bass.  Mine's been modified, and it definitely has more (mainly mid-bass) than the SRH940.  But you're diverting what I was saying.

 

The 940 is not a neutral can.  Be happy it's not - it obviously suits you.



I go by graphs. A straight line at 0db is neutral. These are pretty damn close. People can't have a personal preferance of neutral because that would mean everyone has a different neutral. These sound neutral to me. And the graphs echo that.

 

Again let me emphasize 0db flat line = neutral. Everything else is just personal preference.

post #2719 of 3844

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

  Also - I prefer a balanced signature (try the DT880 and HD600 some time - then you'll know what I mean by balance).

Once I managed to get rid of the treble spike, by positioning earcup differently, they sound balanced to me. Also I believe I get more bass too (just like the tape out review says) , but miceblue think otherwise.
 

Quote:
  Also what about playing instruments (I used to play acoustic guitar).  I know what sounds real to me (ie live) - IMO the Shures don't. 

 

I thought guitar, in particular electric guitar, was excellent on the srh940.

@bcasey

 

Quote:
Turn treble booster on your iphone on and tell me that doesn't sound more realistic. It always does to me.

Humm, maybe you have some hearing loss in the treble. 

post #2720 of 3844

Casey - you believe what you want to believe.  Like I said enjoy them.  It doesn't matter what I think.  Pointless debating it until you hear a more neutral can anyway (DT880 / HD600).

 

I agree - of all your current headphones, the SRH940 may indeed be the most neutral/balanced can you have.

post #2721 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

I thought guitar, in particular electric guitar, was excellent on the srh940.

 

 

Yep - it sounded really good to me as well.  Did it sound truly realistic though?  That was the debate I was having with Casey.

post #2722 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

 

Quote:
Turn treble booster on your iphone on and tell me that doesn't sound more realistic. It always does to me.

Humm, maybe you have some hearing loss in the treble. 


Lol.

 

I don't think he has hearing loss in the treble.

 

 

Anyway this is interesting, the SRH-940 is a studio headphone after all, it should be somewhat neutral, but there are people saying it clearly isn't.

 

 

Hmm... there is one criminal and that's the rest of the chain, the headphone is the last link, is the rest of your chain neutral? I think that's more important, imho.

 

For example, the Sony MDR-V6, yeah it's an average studio headphone, and it will sound average at best from a portable source, but my new DAC/Amp made me appreciate it's qualities more, it can morph quite well to it's source, and it does have a reasonably linear FR I think.

 

post #2723 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

 

Once I managed to get rid of the treble spike, by positioning earcup differently, they sound balanced to me. Also I believe I get more bass too (just like the tape out review says) , but miceblue think otherwise.
 

 

I thought guitar, in particular electric guitar, was excellent on the srh940.

@bcasey

 

Humm, maybe you have some hearing loss in the treble. 

Not according to my doctor. I can hear all the way up to 18khz.
 

 

post #2724 of 3844

According to the headroom graphs and my experience the shure srh840 is the colored one.

 

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3101&graphID[]=913

post #2725 of 3844

Now compare the SRH940 to the HD600 (which is widely considered to be a neutral can)

 

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3101&graphID[]=573

 

 

Note the up and down nature of the midbass on the SRH 940 - also note the big spike in the treble.  Compare it with the flatness of the HD600.

post #2726 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

Now compare the SRH940 to the HD600 (which is widely considered to be a neutral can)

 

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3101&graphID[]=573

 

 

Note the up and down nature of the midbass on the SRH 940 - also note the big spike in the treble.  Compare it with the flatness of the HD600.


Sorry but those graphs nearly look identical to me aside from the treble. A difference of 3 db isn't audible.

 

post #2727 of 3844

 

I'm sure the HD-600 might very well be Sennheisers best headphone (at least, the models than cost less than a new car), but it just seems a bit dated and everyone uses silver cables with it, I know that doesn't make sense but the Audio Technica AD2000, A STAX of some sort, or the new Shure flagship(s) seem more appealing to me.

 

 

post #2728 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post


Sorry but those graphs nearly look identical to me aside from the treble. A difference of 3 db isn't audible.

 



You know what Casey - debate is absolutely pointless.  If you ever get the chance to actually listen to said HD600, I really suggest you take it and at least then you'll know.  And trust me - the difference between the HD600and SRH940 is very big.

 

Unsubscribed.

post #2729 of 3844

Headroom's graphs are smoothed out and they don't measure the FR from inside the ear canal right? 

 

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3101&graphID[]=1273&graphID[]=733

 

 

post #2730 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

 

I'm sure the HD-600 might very well be Sennheisers best headphone (at least, the models than cost less than a new car), but it just seems a bit dated and everyone uses silver cables with it, I know that doesn't make sense but the Audio Technica AD2000, A STAX of some sort, or the new Shure flagship(s) seem more appealing to me.

 

 



In the reality of headphones dated products which have been proven over time should be considered better.

 

Also silver cables? Who cares. Silver, copper, gold, whatever it's all the same. If you can prove to me that cables make a sound difference that is noticeable then i will accept it. But i am very skeptical of it making any difference. Just like with how the opinions of the shure srh940 on this website vary so much i am now greatly skeptical of nearly this entire community.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread