or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread - Page 178

post #2656 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

 

HD600 are $150 higher in street price and the word "veil" is very common.

 

OTOH they are the very logo of Erji.net

 

Haven't heard them myself so idk.


Slight correction...the word "veil" is typically only associated with the HD650s....the HD600s are brighter.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

940 sounds brighter, warmer faster and clearer than the hd600...940 is superb for acoustics.

hd600 is more balanced up the down the sonic range, i like it for orchestra music.

both are excellent cans. its down to personal taste.

 

and of cos , lets add the denon2000 to our collection, and rumble away!!!

( i am listening to "JUST AN ILLUSION " now...wowweeeeeee..its just an illusiooooon...dum dum dummmmm )

beerchug.gif

 

 

What...the 940 sounds both brighter AND warmer?


Edited by MacedonianHero - 12/14/11 at 6:10pm
post #2657 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

Why "lol"? What's wrong with the FR? You know that's raw data, and not the normal human-head transfer function corrected data you usually see, right?
 

 

The FR starts low and then rises higher and higher and higher lol.

 

What do you mean "raw data" ?

post #2658 of 3844

That frequency response you're "lol"ing at is not the kind of FR graph you're used to seeing. If it was, that would be so much treble your ears would bleed.

 

This page explains:

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurement-proceedures-frequency-response

 


Edited by ac500 - 12/14/11 at 6:58pm
post #2659 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

That frequency response you're "lol"ing at is not the kind of FR graph you're used to seeing. If it was, that would be so much treble your ears would bleed.

 


I'm assuming it's a normal FR graph since Shure used an advanced dummy head and released the graph to the public, I can't find something to contradict this.

 

You're assuming it's some kind of raw data because the upward slope doesn't look believeable, in accordance with how an ideal headphone FR should look like, Awwwdizzy.

 

Sadly, there is a lot of assuming in this audio field, as we don't have access to what we're constantly discussing, sound.

 

It's like we're in the 1950's and we're talking about cars, without being able to drive them.


Edited by kiteki - 12/14/11 at 8:01pm
post #2660 of 3844

Has anyone else put the velour pads on the srh840s? I did and they sound better to me.

post #2661 of 3844

Yeah Mike at headfonia switched the pads around on the 840 and 940 and he said they both sounded worse, so he concluded the sound engineers at Shure sure know what they're doing sugar.

post #2662 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

sugar.

Uh why? That was completely random. Ha
You crazy genderless internet entity.
post #2663 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

Yeah Mike at headfonia switched the pads around on the 840 and 940 and he said they both sounded worse, so he concluded the sound engineers at Shure sure know what they're doing sugar.



Well he's wrong.

post #2664 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

Yeah Mike at headfonia switched the pads around on the 840 and 940 and he said they both sounded worse, so he concluded the sound engineers at Shure sure know what they're doing sugar.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post



Well he's wrong.


*Facepalm* Nobody's wrong - it's all subjective!! You can't simply force one's belief to another.

 

post #2665 of 3844

So today I just found the most amazing audio store ever. But between my business in Hong Kong I wandered around a local computer center shopping mall of sorts and found two audio stores. They carried a TON of audiophile headphones, including:

 

* The entire Sennheiser line including HD800

* The entire Shure line including SRH940 (not the 1840 though obviously, I asked :P)

* Probably the entire Beyerdynamics line, including DT880 and DT990

* Denon D2000

* Grado Alessandro RS1i

* Some old model AKG

 

This was amazing... I finally got to try on and test all the main audiophile brands in person! No more blind guessing from internet descriptions! BWUAHAAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAH. As you can see I'm thrilled :D

 

First of all, let me just say, anyone who claims the SRH940 is as good as the HD800 IMO flat out could not be more wrong. The HD800 is absolutely astounding. The soundstage is incredible. Instrument separation and detail is wayyyyy beyond the SRH940. There's no comparison. The HD800 even blows away the LCD2 IMO, simply because its soundstage is miles ahead of it, and IMO the bass is incredibly crisp and defined and more than impactful enough for my ears.

 

I mean yeah, the SRH940 is still extremely good, but... it's not even close to the HD800, I'm sorry. If you say otherwise, then either your SRH940 is three times as good as mine, or your ears (not to be offending) are unable to hear how astoundingly good the HD800 is in EVERY way.

 

I guess less related to the SRH940 (thread topic), I was unimpressed by the D2000. Sounded muddy. I LOVED the DT990 and DT880 although I liked the DT990 more but probably because they only had the 32ohm DT880 at the time. The Grado blew me away... sounded just as detailed as my SRH940 although it was in a noisy environment.

 

This may surprise some of you. I found the Grado more comfortable than the Shure, due to the headband ACTUALLY FITTING ME. Yeah the Grado earpads are kind of bad, but that's not even half as bad as having a heavy clamping weight crushing the top of your head causing physical pain.

 

Also, the AKG literally did not fit me. Period. Too small. Also, while I found the Beyers quite comfortable, I think they're roughly on par or perhaps a bit less comfortable than my HD650s, because the Beyer drivers brush my ears very slightly, and the ear cups very slightly crush my ears whereas the HD650s oval design surrounds them without touching. I found the D2000 probably the most comfortable in short-term interestingly enough, but the pleather instantly started warming up my ears and I can tell it would be less comfortable over time. The HD800 was the most comfortable overall. 

 

Anyhow... I have to say... the DT880s and DT990s and Alessandros sounded quite detailed, which is kind of the selling point I've used to keep my SRH940s. As much as I hate to say it, the fact that my SRH940s are so small for my head that they literally broke from the headband stress, kind of means I'm gonna have to sell them and buy another. It's down to the DT880 vs DT990 vs RS1.


Edited by ac500 - 12/15/11 at 7:21am
post #2666 of 3844

 

Nice, so you are after hyperdetail?

 

Hmm, why not wait for the SRH1440's? ;)

 

post #2667 of 3844

The SRH940 satisfies my hyperdetail desires perfectly, the problem is just that they don't fit me. The headband stretches to the limit, and they actually broke. I'm getting them fixed but I can see they'll be suffering the same issue if I keep them. Also, they hurt my head for obvious reasons (headphone-breaking levels of pressure).

 

Well honestly I don't think the Beyers are more detailed than the SRH940s...I didn't compare directly (should have though probably), but I think they're on par for the most part. I suppose if I buy DT880s for myself for christmas (very likely) I can post an extensive sound comparison here before I sell the SRH940s.

 

I know this would be useful because, although there are a few sentences here and there, there's not much comparison between these headphones. And the DT880s are pretty much the only open-back detail-monster I know to compete with the SRH940, with AKG K701s being reviewed as markedly inferior by Malvaux.

 

Again I don't want to have to sell my SRH940s but the fact that they simply don't fit, and therefore give pain and end up breaking, kind of forces me here.


Edited by ac500 - 12/15/11 at 7:48am
post #2668 of 3844

ac500 : Was that Jaben Store?

post #2669 of 3844

I think it was called Wan Chai Computer Center. The audio stuff was on the third floor.

post #2670 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

So today I just found the most amazing audio store ever. But between my business in Hong Kong I wandered around a local computer center shopping mall of sorts and found two audio stores. They carried a TON of audiophile headphones, including:

 

* The entire Sennheiser line including HD800

* The entire Shure line including SRH940 (not the 1840 though obviously, I asked :P)

* Probably the entire Beyerdynamics line, including DT880 and DT990

* Denon D2000

* Grado Alessandro RS1i

* Some old model AKG

 

First of all, let me just say, anyone who claims the SRH940 is as good as the HD800 IMO flat out could not be more wrong.

 

Daaang, that's an amazing selection of headphones! eek.gif I want to go there now, hahahahaha.

 

Aaand heeere, we gooo...where has good 'ol oldshoe99 been lurking around these days. Just kidding. XD

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread