or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread - Page 172

post #2566 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post


For the millionth time, the soundstage is in the recording, not created by the headphones!!! With any headphone, if the drivers are matched, you will hear it correctly

 


Positioning of instruments - that's also part of soundstage right?

 

post #2567 of 3844

It's kind of off topic from the current discussions, and it's been posted before by Baka? (I don't quite remember), but I took some photos of the 940's internals if anyone is interested at all. I wonder if the acoustic filter is the same one that the 1840 will have. I'm not entirely sure how the filter affects the sound of a headphone, but I've read numerous posts that adding cotton can dampen the sound waves and slightly increase the bass response (please feel free to correct me if I misunderstood).

 

Left earpiece

DSCN2788.JPG

 

Left earpiece: close-up

DSCN2798.JPG

 

Opened left earpiece

DSCN2802.JPG

 

Opened left earpiece: second circuit for the detachable cable; what's the metal bar on the right-hand side of the housing for?

DSCN2808.JPG


Edited by miceblue - 12/9/11 at 5:40pm
post #2568 of 3844


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

> Maybe I am too "inside" the orchestra....the instruments are all over my head...

 

Isn't that the definition of a bad sound stage though somewhat? Good soundstage is supposed to sound like the music is coming from outside your head, whereas poor soundstage sounds like there are instruments lodged in your brain. That's what I thought, anyway.



  Headphones and image (which soundstage is a part) are not (read:never) accurately portrayed by Headphones. The 800, with driver placement, cup geometry and a tailored frequency response manipulate an "image". I don't agree with the Sennheiser effect. It was pleasing with many orchestral recordings but wasn't natural (IMO). The effect didn't translate to a closed mic'd duo (as example). You have to find the least objectionable coloration and forge ahead.

 

  So consistent "outside your head" comes from mostly "outside" sourcing. My Vandersteen 5A is the better of catching the gist of a full orchestra than any Headphone experience if have yet encountered. Most competent two channel will be....  It's a visceral experience that Headphones lack!


Edited by achristilaw - 12/9/11 at 6:02pm
post #2569 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post


For the millionth time, the soundstage is in the recording, not created by the headphones!!! With any headphone, if the drivers are matched, you will hear it correctly

 



Exactly. A-B'ing between a standard stereo recording and the binaural equivalent easily shows this.

post #2570 of 3844


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post



Exactly. A-B'ing between a standard stereo recording and the binaural equivalent easily shows this.



Trying to reset the industry and make binaural recordings as a norm....not likely. Unless Headphone-ing grows 8-10 times it's allotted sizewink.gif......

post #2571 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post


For the millionth time, the soundstage is in the recording, not created by the headphones!!! With any headphone, if the drivers are matched, you will hear it correctly

 



This echoes my experience well. Even my ibuds can have an impressive sound stage if given the proper recording.

post #2572 of 3844

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post


For the millionth time, the soundstage is in the recording, not created by the headphones!!! With any headphone, if the drivers are matched, you will hear it correctly

 


Hm, I guess I'm confused now. Why is it a general consensus that an open-back headphone has a larger soundstage and better instrument separation than a closed-back headphone? Is it due to the enclosure of the drivers themselves?

 

*This sounds more like a Sound Science post than a Shure SRH 940 post...*

 

post #2573 of 3844

Just got off the phone with headphonebar. Really nice guy. He is sending me some new fiio e7 screen protectors and a rubber piece. I asked him why and he said he valued my patronage. So he gave me a tracking number and told me i should receive it by tuesday at the latest. For anyone looking to buy from a canadian dealer go with headphone bar. Fantastic service.

 

I will post immediate shure srh940 impressions once i receive them.

post #2574 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by achristilaw View Post


 



Trying to reset the industry and make binaural recordings as a norm....not likely. Unless Headphone-ing grows 8-10 times it's allotted sizewink.gif......


That's true. But with the growth of the headphone industry over the past few years, my fingers are crossed for more binaural recordings. I recently picked up an Ottmar Leibert album (Up Close) and it is indeed binaural and sounds GREAT!

 

post #2575 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

trottweiler should I buy the 6400 or the 8400?

 

 

Not sure why you're asking about the HRT MSII, that's an overpriced DAC.

 



Overpriced?! It's only $150! Considering how good it sounds, that's a fair price and was a nice upgrade for my Q701 and other headphones.

$150 for a DAC is cheap really. Please don't mentioned the E7, ugh. I was thinking the HRT would be perfect for the SRH-940 since it's a slightly warm sounding DAC.

 

Depends on what sound signature you want. I prefer the 6400 because it was better for vocals to me and gave me the impression of more forward mids. Ok, not really forward, but more so than the 8400. IMO it's like comparing the K601 to the K702. Fans of the K702 should get the 8400 biggrin.gif People probably won't agree with what KRK is the one that's closest to neutral. Even I'm not sure! Can't really go by graphs either.

 

8400 would be best since it does come with memory foam pads and the 6400 doesn't.

post #2576 of 3844

I got a new pair of 940's in the mail from Shure (new accessories and everything, no charge) on Monday after sending my original in for RMA due to a broken headband.  Apparently they've been revised at some point: The metal portions of the ear cups have been flattened and I'm pretty sure the headband was made more stiff, and a bit wider.  I'm unsure as to other changes, but I have some pics I'll post when I can get on an actual computer.

post #2577 of 3844

 

trottweiler Okay I guess $150 is pretty good, but it seems a bit basic.

 

 

I'm spoiled by a long DIY DAC project that resulted in a $100 DAC with the best components they could find, it's the best DAC I've heard.

 

Asahi Texas DIY DAC AK4396 NE5532.jpg

 

 

Since it's only Coax in - RCA out, I recently bought the Musiland Monitor 01 USD for it, which I'm really looking forward to as well.

 

20110727_142141_131.png

 

 

post #2578 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


Hm, I guess I'm confused now. Why is it a general consensus that an open-back headphone has a larger soundstage and better instrument separation than a closed-back headphone? Is it due to the enclosure of the drivers themselves?

 


I guess some people think open headphones make a more open soundstage and closed ones...well you get my point. And some others feel that a headphone should make a great wide soundstage with a close-mic'd multi-tracked pop recording. If it ain't there to begin with, it should not be there during playback. If it does, it's exaggerated and distorted. A recording of an orchestra in a large venue with minimal miking should sound spacious using any headphone or loudspeaker.

 

post #2579 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

It's kind of off topic from the current discussions, and it's been posted before by Baka? (I don't quite remember), but I took some photos of the 940's internals if anyone is interested at all. I wonder if the acoustic filter is the same one that the 1840 will have. I'm not entirely sure how the filter affects the sound of a headphone, but I've read numerous posts that adding cotton can dampen the sound waves and slightly increase the bass response (please feel free to correct me if I misunderstood).

Left earpiece
350x467px-LL-0767237f_DSCN2788.jpeg

Left earpiece: close-up
350x263px-LL-43d09afe_DSCN2798.jpeg

Opened left earpiece
350x467px-LL-706e1eaf_DSCN2802.jpeg

Opened left earpiece: second circuit for the detachable cable; what's the metal bar on the right-hand side of the housing for?
350x263px-LL-de81cf54_DSCN2808.jpeg
Cotton decreases bass volume, plumbers putty might increase bass I response, didn't for me, but Baka disagreed try it for yourself and tell us the results, also try in just one cup and both.
post #2580 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver 8 View Post

I got a new pair of 940's in the mail from Shure (new accessories and everything, no charge) on Monday after sending my original in for RMA due to a broken headband.  Apparently they've been revised at some point: The metal portions of the ear cups have been flattened and I'm pretty sure the headband was made more stiff, and a bit wider.  I'm unsure as to other changes, but I have some pics I'll post when I can get on an actual computer.


Really? If you don't mind, can you post a few photos of the new ear cups? I actually like the slight curvature of the metal faceplates. The headband stiffness might be beneficial to me. I find it a bit too loose when I lean my head forward (the headphones start to slide down my head). I might send mine pair in since the swivel mechanism makes a squeaking noise when they rotate (it's not a big deal, but it's slightly annoying).

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by John In Cali View Post


Cotton decreases bass volume, plumbers putty might increase bass I response, didn't for me, but Baka disagreed try it for yourself and tell us the results, also try in just one cup and both.


Ah, okay. I might try the putty mod if I get some putty...on another note, how on earth did my photos get enlarged in your quotation? blink.gif

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread