or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread - Page 150

post #2236 of 3844

 

I don't take headroom charts very seriously since FR charts seem to vary quite a bit from site to site, and if the headroom charts are correct then the SRH-940 is a bass heavy version of the Ultrasone HFI-780.

 

I thought the 940 was quite bass-light, however it sounded okay on max volume and probably varies in performance from source to source.

 


 

Imho some people may want to believe the SRH-940 is a "killer" that can rival the sound of other manufacturers flagships, and some people refuse to believe a $300 headphone can sound like a $1600 one.

 

In my opinion the reality of the situation is almost every audio product above $700 is overpriced in terms of sound quality, R&D and labour costs in Europe and Japan are expensive and some products are catering for a niche clientele willing to pay $XXXX for the highest degrees of sound quality.

 

I don't think the SRH-940 is trying to cut into that niche cake, they just upgraded the SRH-840 and got lucky or something.


Edited by kiteki - 11/23/11 at 2:08am
post #2237 of 3844

Just an update to my latest findings on the mid bass.

 

I've tested it extensively and I confirm that there is indeed a mid bass "hole". I retract my whole statement about the SRH940 having no mid bass hole. However, it is not going to have a great effect on me because I don't listen to a lot of dance/club music. 

 

On another note, the SRH940 will reveal undisturbed details of the vocals. smile.gif

post #2238 of 3844


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baka1969 View Post

Oldshoe99,

I think it's time you prove that you even have the equpiment you state you have. Dozens of fellow Head-Fi'ers have seen mine. I have pics in my profile. So it's time to start showing proof or anything you say will hold little to no weight.

By the way, I HAVE shown throughout this thread why I believe there is a hole in the mid bass of the 940. Hell, I just posted the link to the Headroom chart the other day and have posted it several times. I came up with a mod to help address it. I've been discussing the bass long before you decided to troll Head-Fi. Yet all you've done is become combative with zero to substantiate anything. You've tried to diminish the reputations of well established members with nothing to back of your hollow claims. Several times in this thread you've been asked by more than one person to prove yourself and you've ignored thise requests. I'm calling you out.


I have to prove something to you?  Let Currawong or Jude ask for a photo of my gear and I'll send it to them.  Them I trust, no matter what they say about me.  My credibility was proven conclusively when the other two members suggested tests, which I performed, which favored the HD800, and which I duly reported.

 

post #2239 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikp View Post

Just an update to my latest findings on the mid bass.

I've tested it extensively and I confirm that there is indeed a mid bass "hole". I retract my whole statement about the SRH940 having no mid bass hole. However, it is not going to have a great effect on me because I don't listen to a lot of dance/club music. 

On another note, the SRH940 will reveal undisturbed details of the vocals. smile.gif

I think the 940 is what it is. A nice closed can for the money. Like many cans in it's range it has it's strengths and weaknesses. I think the putty mod helps address some of those issues somewhat. Although not completely.
post #2240 of 3844

  Most phones are artificially bass heavy. And it's unfortunate that the bass boundary is breached as it travels northward to the mid-bass (in many cases).

 

  Listening to Cello or my favorite announcer on HD Radio, the 940 is spot on for the most part. What amp was used for the sign sweeps that make up the graphs? The Shure is amp sensitive! Any amp that I add to the chain is immediately diagnosed using the Shure, I can spot any amp differences readily (or cable and source changes). If my ear detects differences a Mic "shure" would... It (the 940) doesn't like every method being driven. It does seem to have an infatuation with the "burbling" Burson HA-160. The Burson's soft and round character lend itself to a "kind-er gentler" 940 for those interested.  

post #2241 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshoe99 View Post



 


I have to prove something to you?  Let Currawong or Jude ask for a photo of my gear and I'll send it to them.  Them I trust, no matter what they say about me.  My credibility was proven conclusively when the other two members suggested tests, which I performed, which favored the HD800, and which I duly reported.


Just as I thought. Any of your "tests" could have been extrapolated from reading threads here on Head-Fi. I don't believe you've proven anything. I don't think I stand alone being dubious.

Peace,
post #2242 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by baka1969 View Post

I think the 940 is what it is. A nice closed can for the money. Like many cans in it's range it has it's strengths and weaknesses. I think the putty mod helps address some of those issues somewhat. Although not completely.


John in Cali said the difference was 0.1dB.

 

 

post #2243 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by achristilaw View Post

  Most phones are artificially bass heavy. And it's unfortunate that the bass boundary is breached as it travels northward to the mid-bass (in many cases).

  Listening to Cello or my favorite announcer on HD Radio, the 940 is spot on for the most part. What amp was used for the sign sweeps that make up the graphs? The Shure is amp sensitive! Any amp that I add to the chain is immediately diagnosed using the Shure, I can spot any amp differences readily (or cable and source changes). If my ear detects differences a Mic "shure" would... It (the 940) doesn't like every method being driven. It does seem to have an infatuation with the "burbling" Burson HA-160. The Burson's soft and round character lend itself to a "kind-er gentler" 940 for those interested.  

Although I can agree that many headphones may be tilted bass heavy. The Senn HD800, however, is not. The Headroom graph may not be the last word, it does confirm what I hear.
post #2244 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post



John in Cali said the difference was 0.1dB.


Is there a graph showing this?
post #2245 of 3844

Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw View Post

The Shure is amp sensitive!


Well, if it is then that would explain some of the contrasting opinions on the 940 wouldn't it.

 

Listening to the same USB DAC/Amp and listening to the same internet radio station for evaluation/discussion purposes could solve this.

 

 


Edited by kiteki - 11/23/11 at 2:24am
post #2246 of 3844

  I have owned two of the 800's. I used one with Apuresound in the standard single-ended termination. The other was hard-wired with ALO for balanced use with the Dynamid and balanced Beta. While I appreciated the artificial "imaging" caused by the midband depression conjoined with the cup shape and driver placement (for Classical). I could not get over the driver resonance in low treble....fricken drove me nuts. I am not going to spend "X" number of dollars and then modify the result, like people are trying to do with the 800 now...ludicrous. The 800's left...and good riddance (so did my last Beta)! I will keep the 940! Every "flagship" has one or more glaring faults! The weight and clamp of the LCD-2 (and the recessed treble above 10K). No top octave! The T1 had stunted dynamics and put me to sleep. I can't stand Ultrasone.....on and on.

 

  No moral of the story....just nothing made by Man is perfect...and nobody would agree what the Hell "perfection" would be anyway. We are all different in tastes, gear and experience. Try to be helpful and cordial to one an other as the World is falling apart.

post #2247 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by baka1969 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshoe99 View Post



 


I have to prove something to you?  Let Currawong or Jude ask for a photo of my gear and I'll send it to them.  Them I trust, no matter what they say about me.  My credibility was proven conclusively when the other two members suggested tests, which I performed, which favored the HD800, and which I duly reported.


Just as I thought. Any of your "tests" could have been extrapolated from reading threads here on Head-Fi. I don't believe you've proven anything. I don't think I stand alone being dubious.

Peace,


What's really peculiar is how you keep "monitoring" this topic day in and day out forever, as though you have prove your point, which you have made no effort towards.  I did two tests as suggested by members here, and stand willing to do more, as further suggestions happen.  That effort is real - the rest of this is just talk.

 

And BTW, nobody could determine the minute differences in upper harmonics by monitoring this topic.  You sure didn't.  It's subtle and you need to listen to the actual headphones, carefully.

 

 


Edited by oldshoe99 - 11/23/11 at 7:28am
post #2248 of 3844

All I know is these headphones are amazing, and no other I've heard come close to the detail and precision I hear with the SRH940. I don't know about you, but detail/precision to me means sound quality.

 

As to the debate about HD800s etc., let's just say first of all if I had an HD800 and an SRH940, I'd be hugely biased to say the HD800 was better due to what I'd pay for it. For that reason it is a little confusing that some people would even suggest the SRH940 is close to HD800 quality, but also doubly powerful when they say so (unless all these people are trying to hoax you - doubtful)

 

I think the fact that people have to try so hard to find flaws in the SRH940 is interesting.


Edited by ac500 - 11/23/11 at 8:38am
post #2249 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

All I know is these headphones are amazing, and no other I've heard come close to the detail and precision I hear with the SRH940. I don't know about you, but detail/precision to me means sound quality.

 

As to the debate about HD800s etc., let's just say first of all if I had an HD800 and an SRH940, I'd be hugely biased to say the HD800 was better due to what I'd pay for it. For that reason it is a little confusing that some people would even suggest the SRH940 is close to HD800 quality, but also doubly powerful when they say so.

 

I don't understand the debate aspect myself.  I first heard of the 940 as a "detail monster" from several sources, so when they arrived, I could hardly believe how they sounded.  And even if they didn't sound "good" which is subjective, I was astounded that they could sound so much like the HD800 which is a very different design.

 

Oh, and I almost forgot - if anyone wants a photo of my headphone collection, just send me a PM with your email address (you know, one of those disposable accounts) and I'll send the photo.  Normally I'm on iPad and don't know if it can even find a photo in the iPad's non-O/S file structure.
 

 

 

post #2250 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

I think the fact that people have to try so hard to find flaws in the SRH940 is interesting.

It might be the reverse : people trying hard  to defend the qualities of these headphone biggrin.gif.

Even if they can be great with some genres (for me:  industrial, because it's artificial , aggressive, very detailed music) , I  don't like them for smooth music like the buddha  bar compilations. Oh, just tried some chris botti, which is supposed the best of "smooth jazz" , and nope, these headphone gives no relief .

I  was complaining that my hd595 were "too relaxed" to the point of  being sometimes boring, I  think the srh940 have the opposite flaw.

Seriously , try to enjoy some "easy listening" music on the srh940, the srh940 manage to make it hard biggrin.gif.

But these can be nice and more "universal"  after doing some eq, but I  understand people looking for something right straight out of the box,

especially if you have very eclectic tastes.

At least I  enjoy the portability of these  headphones, and the comfort .

 

 

 


Edited by extrabigmehdi - 11/23/11 at 6:59pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread