win on what? bass response? or just your preference in whats better? :)
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/18/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 1/18/11
- brandShuretagged by System, 1/18/11
- productShure SE215tagged by System, 12/15/11
- productShure SRH 550 DJtagged by System, 1/26/11
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 1/26/11
- productShure SRH 940tagged by System, 1/20/11
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone else actually prefer the Shure SRH940s over their younger brother 840s? Last post on 12/11/11 at 9:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Which of these headphones are the best for me... Last post on 1/13/13 at 7:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- What $200 headphones have detachable cables? Last post on 7/24/12 at 7:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
*This is a slightly revised and updated version of my original review from September of 2014. The Bass Colour was a good earphone two years ago and at it's current price of 29.99 USD on Penon Audio...
I bought these over a year ago as an upgrade to the generation 3 of the Piston earphones. I've been a user since generation 2 and I've loved the line up ever since. This simply feels like another...
I took the scenic route to loving these headphones and almost sold it a couple of times. I picked these up for free thanks to a promotion my carrier Freedom mobile was doing where if you buy the LG...
About Me: I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair...
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread - Page 96post #1426 of 38449/14/11 at 7:27pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1427 of 38449/14/11 at 7:44pmpost #1428 of 38449/14/11 at 8:05pmQuote:
I'll let you know in a few days
I suspect for my preference in overall balance, the HD600 may be streets ahead .......post #1429 of 38449/14/11 at 8:11pmThe way I interpret the 840 vs 940 is not that the 940 is "punchier" but the 940 has a slightly sharper leading edge and a slightly better transient. Which would lead to the 840 having more bloom than the 940. Looking at the charts it's fairly close. Factor in the 840's mid bass hump and impact would add to the 840 having a bass tilt. Neither one have the flagship square wave performance and when others start comparing the 940 to the HD800 the Shure comes up short. Plus the bass "hole" is evident.post #1430 of 38449/14/11 at 8:12pmpost #1431 of 38449/14/11 at 8:31pmQuote:
Yeah, now the "bass hole" is obvious, will try to eq later to match the hd800 graph. Regarding the square response, the se530 , trounce the hd800
post #1432 of 38449/14/11 at 8:43pmQuote:
Try the bass mod first on the 940. You might like the result.
I'm not sure you can measure an IEM the same way that you can measure a full sized open dynamic.post #1433 of 38449/14/11 at 8:44pmpost #1434 of 38449/14/11 at 8:46pmpost #1435 of 38449/14/11 at 8:53pm
I've always thought the LDC2.1 (I haven't yet listened to the LCD2.2) had the best bass response I've heard in any headphone. Ironically enough, I've had the SE530 (and SE535) and had felt the bass has a bit of bloom to it.post #1436 of 38449/14/11 at 8:56pmpost #1437 of 38449/14/11 at 9:05pmQuote:
I don't disagree with that premise, however, the LCD2.1 has a quite similar FR and it's highs are also rolled. From my experience, even though I never had the SE530 and LCD2.1 together, the bass was, to me, better controlled and better extended on the LCD2.1. I can't help thinking that even though the 50Hz Square wave graph is similar between the two that one being a full sized headphone (planar) and the other an IEM might account for my perception.post #1438 of 38449/14/11 at 9:46pm
Here's an "ideal curve" , that I tried to guess, by trying to find something regular close to hd800 curve, and not too far from the srh940 curve.
Ideal vs Hd800
Ideal vs Srh940
And the three graph compared:
Off course my "ideal curve" was obtained through very very scientific means .
Never mind, I think it could help of getting an idea of what would be more "desirable".
Edited by extrabigmehdi - 9/14/11 at 9:49pmpost #1439 of 38449/14/11 at 10:08pm
The ideal curve is not flat and smooth in the highs like that. Remember we have to account for flat response minus HRTF so a diffused field eq curve is more approximate in sounding natural and neutral to our ears. Plus combine a diffuse field eq with the fletcher munson curve then you get cans with accuracy at different volumes.post #1440 of 38449/14/11 at 10:42pmQuote:Originally Posted by donunus
The ideal curve is not flat and smooth in the highs like that. Remember we have to account for flat response minus HRTF so a diffused field eq curve is more approximate in sounding natural and neutral to our ears. Plus combine a diffuse field eq with the fletcher munson curve then you get cans with accuracy at different volumes.
What I've noticed is there's almost no matching between hd800 & srh940 curve in the high freq zone, so I thought adopting something relatively flat between two curves wouldn't hurt. I must study later this story of "diffuse field eq", I must sleep . But you are welcome to provide short explanations.
- Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Prog rock 16 seconds ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 17 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 1 minute ago
- › Fidue A73 IEM 1 minute ago
- › Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison!... 3 minutes ago
- › ►►► FS/T: Pro-Ject Head Box S ◄◄◄ 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 4 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 5 minutes ago
- › Upcoming DAP from xDuoo - the X10! 5 minutes ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 5 minutes ago
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear