win on what? bass response? or just your preference in whats better? :)
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/18/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 1/18/11
- brandShuretagged by System, 1/18/11
- productShure SE215tagged by System, 12/15/11
- productShure SRH 550 DJtagged by System, 1/26/11
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 1/26/11
- productShure SRH 940tagged by System, 1/20/11
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone else actually prefer the Shure SRH940s over their younger brother 840s? Last post on 12/11/11 at 9:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Which of these headphones are the best for me... Last post on 1/13/13 at 7:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- What $200 headphones have detachable cables? Last post on 7/24/12 at 7:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction With thanks to my esteemed colleague and front page superstar @glassmonkey for fronting this review spectacular. 3 cheers also go out to Iain and the rest of the RHA team for...
Thanks go to earphonia.com who were pleased to let me give the excellently valued Co-Donguri earphone a spin. Pairings Equipment Hidizs AP60 Chord Mojo Dac Intro My second IEM...
Kaiser Encore: Early impressions Please note: This review is posted only so I could share my (very) early impressions, as I know many are eager to hear about the latest Noble (co-) flagship....
Note: I have previously reviewed the K10 from Noble, where I covered much of Noble’s history and order process. For this reason, I will use some of the portions of that review that pertain to Noble...
Founded in 2014 in Guangzhou, China, Shinrico is a company focused on digital electronic products in the field of high-tech enterprises. Recently I reviewed their excellent D3S Digital...
Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread - Page 96post #1426 of 38449/14/11 at 7:27pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1427 of 38449/14/11 at 7:44pmpost #1428 of 38449/14/11 at 8:05pmQuote:
I'll let you know in a few days
I suspect for my preference in overall balance, the HD600 may be streets ahead .......post #1429 of 38449/14/11 at 8:11pmThe way I interpret the 840 vs 940 is not that the 940 is "punchier" but the 940 has a slightly sharper leading edge and a slightly better transient. Which would lead to the 840 having more bloom than the 940. Looking at the charts it's fairly close. Factor in the 840's mid bass hump and impact would add to the 840 having a bass tilt. Neither one have the flagship square wave performance and when others start comparing the 940 to the HD800 the Shure comes up short. Plus the bass "hole" is evident.post #1430 of 38449/14/11 at 8:12pmpost #1431 of 38449/14/11 at 8:31pmQuote:
Yeah, now the "bass hole" is obvious, will try to eq later to match the hd800 graph. Regarding the square response, the se530 , trounce the hd800
post #1432 of 38449/14/11 at 8:43pmQuote:
Try the bass mod first on the 940. You might like the result.
I'm not sure you can measure an IEM the same way that you can measure a full sized open dynamic.post #1433 of 38449/14/11 at 8:44pmpost #1434 of 38449/14/11 at 8:46pmpost #1435 of 38449/14/11 at 8:53pm
I've always thought the LDC2.1 (I haven't yet listened to the LCD2.2) had the best bass response I've heard in any headphone. Ironically enough, I've had the SE530 (and SE535) and had felt the bass has a bit of bloom to it.post #1436 of 38449/14/11 at 8:56pmpost #1437 of 38449/14/11 at 9:05pmQuote:
I don't disagree with that premise, however, the LCD2.1 has a quite similar FR and it's highs are also rolled. From my experience, even though I never had the SE530 and LCD2.1 together, the bass was, to me, better controlled and better extended on the LCD2.1. I can't help thinking that even though the 50Hz Square wave graph is similar between the two that one being a full sized headphone (planar) and the other an IEM might account for my perception.post #1438 of 38449/14/11 at 9:46pm
Here's an "ideal curve" , that I tried to guess, by trying to find something regular close to hd800 curve, and not too far from the srh940 curve.
Ideal vs Hd800
Ideal vs Srh940
And the three graph compared:
Off course my "ideal curve" was obtained through very very scientific means .
Never mind, I think it could help of getting an idea of what would be more "desirable".
Edited by extrabigmehdi - 9/14/11 at 9:49pmpost #1439 of 38449/14/11 at 10:08pm
The ideal curve is not flat and smooth in the highs like that. Remember we have to account for flat response minus HRTF so a diffused field eq curve is more approximate in sounding natural and neutral to our ears. Plus combine a diffuse field eq with the fletcher munson curve then you get cans with accuracy at different volumes.post #1440 of 38449/14/11 at 10:42pmQuote:Originally Posted by donunus
The ideal curve is not flat and smooth in the highs like that. Remember we have to account for flat response minus HRTF so a diffused field eq curve is more approximate in sounding natural and neutral to our ears. Plus combine a diffuse field eq with the fletcher munson curve then you get cans with accuracy at different volumes.
What I've noticed is there's almost no matching between hd800 & srh940 curve in the high freq zone, so I thought adopting something relatively flat between two curves wouldn't hurt. I must study later this story of "diffuse field eq", I must sleep . But you are welcome to provide short explanations.
- Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget... 8 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 52 seconds ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 1 minute ago
- › Review of the Little-Dot MKII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation) 3 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › Nordost Heimdall headphone cable 4 minutes ago
- › Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP... 8 minutes ago
- › RHA CL750 by Takeanidea
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by Takeanidea
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Sorensiim
- › Noble Audio Katana by cvbcbcmv
- › Shinrico E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier by crabdog
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear