or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread - Page 93

post #1381 of 3844
I know I've mentioned it before but adding putty/Blu-Tack to the back of the drivers and lining the cups does add some impact to the bass. While it doesn't approach the impact level of the 840 it does get about 25% closer. That may not seem like much but I think the 940's bass is a bit shy and the 840's a bit fat. The mod doesn't just add a mid bass hump that the 840 has but adds it to the spectrum. What it also does is tend to make the treble seem a bit less hot. I don't think it's an actual dramatic treble change so much as the added bass weight brings the treble a little more in line.
post #1382 of 3844

 

Amplification and equalizer.

 

post #1383 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

One thing is for sure, the HD800's are MUCH more open-air than the SRH-940.

 

Very true and that's what really sets the HD800 apart from most other headphones I tried as well. The soundstage on HD800 is just insanely open for headphones.

post #1384 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshoe99 View Post


That's not the way comparisons work, by listening to a song and saying "Yah - they sound alike." No - the way a comparison works is this: Skeptic says "Download track x by artist y from website z (i.e. Amazon or Apple), then listen to the bass lines at 1:05 to 1:10 and also at 2:23 to 2:33 and tell me which has the strongest/weakest bass, and also what the quality differences in those bass lines (i.e. impact, detail etc.)"

That's how a serious comparison works. But on this site it's pretty obvious by now that nobody has done any serious comparisons, preferring to offer unfounded opinions.


Well, I don't have the HD800s so... I could offer a few time stamps I like but... wouldn't it be great if you listened to one

of the suggested songs, and made the comparison yourself and maybe make note of which part you thought was great on the 800

or the 940?

 

post #1385 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post



Have you considered the hd598 too ?  It will be interesting when sennheiser will update the hd600 & hd650 models ...(just like for the hd595)
 

 



 

I have had the 555, 595, and the 558(Modded) but sadly haven't heard the 598. The 595 is the most balanced among the three IMO. The 558 is a screwed up 555 imo. The 558 seems more detailed at first but I find the illusion of extra detail to be caused by an artificial peak in the highs. The 595 out of a good source like the Burson ha160D out of the low gain jack is magical. Its less technically proficient than an hd600 but the balance and fun factor is great!

post #1386 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by donunus View Post

 

I have had the 555, 595, and the 558(Modded) but sadly haven't heard the 598. The 595 is the most balanced among the three IMO. The 558 is a screwed up 555 imo. The 558 seems more detailed at first but I find the illusion of extra detail to be caused by an artificial peak in the highs. The 595 out of a good source like the Burson ha160D out of the low gain jack is magical. Its less technically proficient than an hd600 but the balance and fun factor is great!

 

Maybe you just need to burn in the 558 for longer?

post #1387 of 3844

Its not evil bright but it is brighter than the other two Ive had. I burned it in for at least 500 hours including headtime before selling them.

post #1388 of 3844

Just got another Shure SRH840. This is the 4th time I own these headphones. I don't know - there's just something special about their sound that always makes me return to them. Just took them out of the box and am listening to the first track. Already tapping my feet. With the SRH940 out of the box, I was checking if I got the cable in properly (which I did) lol


Edited by Pianist - 9/14/11 at 11:06am
post #1389 of 3844

 

Yeah but you got a fake 940.

 

Why have you owned like six RE0's and four 840's?

post #1390 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

 

Yeah but you got a fake 940.

 

I thought you were kidding. Fake srh940 doesn't exist yet, the product is still recent, and perhaps not enough popular.

 

 

post #1391 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

 

Yeah but you got a fake 940.

 

Why have you owned like six RE0's and four 840's?

 

lol Because I like their sound a lot?
 

 

post #1392 of 3844

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

 

I thought you were kidding. Fake srh940 doesn't exist yet, the product is still recent, and perhaps not enough popular.

 


Me? He's the one that said he probably got a fake 940, and there was discussion on which amazon sellers sell the real ones.

 

Pianist was confused why he couldn't hear what others were saying so he concluded his pair must be fakes, since it's obvious to anyone the 940 sounds better than the 840.

post #1393 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

 


Me? He's the one that said he probably got a fake 940, and there was discussion on which amazon sellers sell the real ones.

 

Pianist was confused why he couldn't hear what others were saying so he concluded his pair must be fakes, since it's obvious to anyone the 940 sounds better than the 840.


He speculated whether it was possible, you made the conclusion for him, as I recall... Although can't be troubled to go back pages for this small clarification :)

 

post #1394 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post
, since it's obvious to anyone the 940 sounds better than the 840.

Nope. I  don't remind who said in this thread (with a monkey avatar ) that he didn't find the srh940 "better", but just tweaked for a different sound, and share similar characteristics..
 

 

post #1395 of 3844

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

 

lol Because I like their sound a lot?
 

 

 

bad?

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread