or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread - Page 83

post #1231 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

Anyone used these for competitive gaming yet? How are they? Is the soundstage large enough to be be decent for gaming and movies?

I don't know what do expect from the soundstage of the SRH-940. Can it be similar in size to an open headphone or can it ever fool you into thinking this?

Is the soundstage as large as the D2000? Probably way smaller in size than the HD-600 I imagine, but of course this should be obvious.

 

I hope the comfort is better than the SRH-840.


You still remember the 840? Soundstage is the exact same size. Imaging is far better though. Best I've heard by a ways actually, although I guess that isn't saying much.

I have a DJ100 on the way since you've mentioned them maybe once or twice, I can let you know how they compare when they get here.

 

post #1232 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

What some dsp do, is take information from left  ear , introduce a little delay, and share them partly on right ; and reverse too. This increase the perceived sensation of space. I recommend  the free sheppi for this, but some advanced reverb can do wonders too. There's also the well known dolby headphone, that I  moderately like.

 


Ah, the "Bose effect". Real nice, except it destroys the transients and thus music completely :)

 

post #1233 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by electropop View Post




Ah, the "Bose effect". Real nice, except it destroys the transients and thus music completely :)

 


I disagree, you can always tweak amount of effect to keep result natural , and sheppi effect is so subtle that sometimes you even wondering if any effect is present.  I think it's not worse, that what some people call "sennheiser veil". The dolby headphone effect is limited in tweaking, but can be nice on movies .

 

post #1234 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200poundsofamp View Post


You still remember the 840? Soundstage is the exact same size. Imaging is far better though. Best I've heard by a ways actually, although I guess that isn't saying much.

I have a DJ100 on the way since you've mentioned them maybe once or twice, I can let you know how they compare when they get here.

 

 

Hmm, if I remember right I could have sworn I felt the SRH-840 had a fairly small soundstage. Don't ask me why, but I somehow got the impression from reviews that the SRH-940 might sound almost like an open headphone. I don't even think this is possible, but the D2000 almost had me fooled. Now for most of my favorite genres I don't need a huge soundstage. Sometimes a smaller one is often better for vocals. I always thought this was true until I heard the K501.

 

I think an SRH-840 with less bass and that's less warm/thinner would be perfect for me. Less mid-bass would also be a plus. Supposedly the SRH-940 is fuller sounding than my KRK KNS-6400 and more musical, so it may be a good match for me.

 

I really hope the SRH-940 is more comfortable than the SRH-840.
 

The SRH-940 is going head to head against the DJ100 and KRK KNS-6400. Both are under $100 biggrin.gif

 

post #1235 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post




I disagree, you can always tweak amount of effect to keep result natural , and sheppi effect is so subtle that sometimes you even wondering if any effect is present.  I think it's not worse, that what some people call "sennheiser veil". The dolby headphone effect is limited in tweaking, but can be nice on movies .

 


Well, I believe the "sennheiser veil" has probably originated from someone pulling that term out of his *** when comparing them to either quite a treble happy phone or a much more expensive one. I admit that I haven't tried that function, but having bad experience with computer audio (sound quality wise to stand alone systems), I'm not very interested in trying. In my experience, that effect might give a desired sound and effect to some, but smears the fine articulation capabilities and makes listening to modal/multi track music more "difficult". 

 

post #1236 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 

Hmm, if I remember right I could have sworn I felt the SRH-840 had a fairly small soundstage. Don't ask me why, but I somehow got the impression from reviews that the SRH-940 might sound almost like an open headphone. I don't even think this is possible, but the D2000 almost had me fooled. Now for most of my favorite genres I don't need a huge soundstage. Sometimes a smaller one is often better for vocals. I always thought this was true until I heard the K501.

 

I think an SRH-840 with less bass and that's less warm/thinner would be perfect for me. Less mid-bass would also be a plus. Supposedly the SRH-940 is fuller sounding than my KRK KNS-6400 and more musical, so it may be a good match for me.

 

I really hope the SRH-940 is more comfortable than the SRH-840.
 

The SRH-940 is going head to head against the DJ100 and KRK KNS-6400. Both are under $100 biggrin.gif

 

 

Yeah, don't expect a huge soundstage, not that that's bad. I think part of the reason they sound open is that they don't have the typical closed sound signature at ALL. Plus there's no midbass hump or housing reverb that I could hear.

 

If you compare them to the 840 and a sr80 they actually have much more in common with the Grado blink.gif Very similar level of bass, and the midrange on both has good definition while still managing warmth for vocals, it's really a good balance. Not at all cold sounding like the HFI-680 or DT250, or thick like the 840. Not that they sound like a closed Grado though, the 940 is still pretty different, you'll really have to hear it.

post #1237 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200poundsofamp View Post
Plus there's no midbass hump or housing reverb that I could hear.

 

Yes, I'm thinking than an open design  doesn't mean necessarily more refined or "more audiophile" sound, with the srh940.

 

post #1238 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200poundsofamp View Post

 

Yeah, don't expect a huge soundstage, not that that's bad. I think part of the reason they sound open is that they don't have the typical closed sound signature at ALL. Plus there's no midbass hump or housing reverb that I could hear.

 

If you compare them to the 840 and a sr80 they actually have much more in common with the Grado blink.gif Very similar level of bass, and the midrange on both has good definition while still managing warmth for vocals, it's really a good balance. Not at all cold sounding like the HFI-680 or DT250, or thick like the 840. Not that they sound like a closed Grado though, the 940 is still pretty different, you'll really have to hear it.


+1 - nailed it exactly.

 

IMO soundstage similar to my DT880 - good for a closed can.

 

Similar sound to my Alessandro MS1 - with a little less 'sizzle' in the highs.  Mids are very similar (esp warmth for vocals).  Bass is where the difference is.  MS1is have a little more mid-bass and less sub-bass IMO.   The 940's have very good sub-bass extension, but missing a little mid-bass (once again - to MY tastes anyway).  They are great cans - and I may even end up buying them again later.  But for now - they just weren't quite what I was looking for.

post #1239 of 3844

That's excellent to hear. Of course an open design does not guarantee that, but empirically given, such a design is easier to make. Haven't heard many truly good closed headphones in that department. My K272 are excellent, but suffer a slight drop in the end... I prefer this over mid-bass driven extension, but wouldn't mind more if the "tunefulness" is maintained. 

post #1240 of 3844

Hi, 

I'm looking for my first good heaphones. I will use them for mainly music but also for gaming, movie, Drumming on a electronic drumkit. I will listen to rock, metal ( with some double bass drum), punk rock and a bit of jazz/ classic. Favourite artist: RHCP, System of a Down, Lamb of God, Dream Theater, Incubus, Rise Against, Tool.

I like the noise isolation side of the closed headphones.

Would the Shure SRH940 be a good choice.

My second choice would be a Grado SR225.

Thanks for your help.

 


Edited by HydronQc - 9/11/11 at 7:50pm
post #1241 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydronQc View Post

Hi, 

I'm looking for my first good heaphones. I will use them for mainly music but also for gaming, movie, Drumming on a electronic drumkit. I will listen to rock, metal ( with some double bass drum), punk rock and a bit of jazz/ classic. Favourite artist: RHCP, System of a Down, Lamb of God, Dream Theater, Incubus, Rise Against, Tool.

I like the noise isolation side of the closed headphones.

Would the Shure SRH940 be a good choice.

My second choice would be a Grado SR225.

Thanks for your help.

 

 

The 940s are more about accuracy, Grados are more about fun. I think you'd like the sr225s for more of the stuff you listen to.

 

Go for the Grados!


Edited by 200poundsofamp - 9/11/11 at 8:25pm
post #1242 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post



 

Hmm, if I remember right I could have sworn I felt the SRH-840 had a fairly small soundstage. Don't ask me why, but I somehow got the impression from reviews that the SRH-940 might sound almost like an open headphone. I don't even think this is possible, but the D2000 almost had me fooled. Now for most of my favorite genres I don't need a huge soundstage. Sometimes a smaller one is often better for vocals. I always thought this was true until I heard the K501.

 

I think an SRH-840 with less bass and that's less warm/thinner would be perfect for me. Less mid-bass would also be a plus. Supposedly the SRH-940 is fuller sounding than my KRK KNS-6400 and more musical, so it may be a good match for me.

 

I really hope the SRH-940 is more comfortable than the SRH-840.
 

The SRH-940 is going head to head against the DJ100 and KRK KNS-6400. Both are under $100 biggrin.gif

 


I found the 940's to be more comfortable than the 840's. The velour pads are more squoshy and comfy compared to the 840's pleather pads. The pads at the topof the 940's helps relieve the weight of the headphones, which the 840's lacked and which is probably why I didn't like the 840's on my head.
post #1243 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post



I found the 940's to be more comfortable than the 840's. The velour pads are more squoshy and comfy compared to the 840's pleather pads. The pads at the topof the 940's helps relieve the weight of the headphones, which the 840's lacked and which is probably why I didn't like the 840's on my head.


It's quite funny how different we all are.  I personally found the 840 very comfortable (just a little heavy).  The velour on the 940 pads are nice - but I actually find the headband slightly worse (the bumps) than the 840.

 

post #1244 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post




 but I actually find the headband slightly worse (the bumps) than the 840.

 


 the "bumps" are very soft

 

post #1245 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post




 the "bumps" are very soft

 


Might be for you - they actually irritate me - so that I have to keep adjusting them.  They're not terrible - just not supremely comfortable for MY head.  Why can't everyone get a headband as comfortable as a Beyer ......

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread