or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread - Page 82

post #1216 of 3844

Ultrasone's don't swivel 180º. They swivel so that they can lie face-down on a table without having to rotate the headphones themselves, but they don't swivel the other way >=[

post #1217 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post




Hm I see. I honestly didn't know too much about this beforehand. Thanks for the tip, and I apologize to anyone who may have found my posts a bit extreme; I'm just an (overly) cautious consumer sometimes.

 

It's not extreme at all. Big organizations get MSDS's when they handle lots of stuff like this, but Shure and other companies don't have a requirement to supply those to consumers apparently, so instead they give you the little Prop 65 warning.
post #1218 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

Heya,

 

I wear them backwards when I'm using them as a portable too, just so I can lay them flat and put the drivers facing down as well. I don't understand why headphone makers are not making them so that they swivel both ways, or at least the more common way, which would be around the neck.

 

Very best,

Funny how these things work, huh? But Shure's peculiar swivel fit around the neck, while it works OK for that (in spite of being backwards), the fact it doesn't lay flat on a table probably explains why they issued the fat carrycase you can't put in your carry-on bag, instead of a thinner case.
post #1219 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post



 

I didn't mean to post erroneous claims here, but the manual that came with the headphones says so itself.

 

Scanned Document.png

 

Scanned Document_2.png

 

The cables do in fact say "Made in China" as well.

 

DSCN1599.JPG

 

 

As a consumer, I do believe I should have the right to know what's in the products I buy and to know if they are safe to use. I wasn't expecting this kind of label from any major headphone company. I do know that many products are made in China due to the lower cost of things, but I haven't owned very many products specifically with the label "this product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm." Cancer causing materials are not something to be taken lightly. As an average consumer, I do not know myself if this product is safe to use simply because of this label, but if many other products are like this, I suppose it is all right to be used for its intended purpose.

 

 


When I first got my Shures I read the manual and saw that. You could do a sniff test, maybe the headbands have some kind of formaldehyde processing or what-not. I do not claim this is true, of course, merely an idea. Anyways, I wouldn't take much of that too seriously unless, say, you were buying something like lead paint. I'm sure they'd put a giant "known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects and or other reproductive harm" on the Sun if they could.

 

post #1220 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceshark View Post




When I first got my Shures I read the manual and saw that. You could do a sniff test, maybe the headbands have some kind of formaldehyde processing or what-not. I do not claim this is true, of course, merely an idea. Anyways, I wouldn't take much of that too seriously unless, say, you were buying something like lead paint. I'm sure they'd put a giant "known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects and or other reproductive harm" on the Sun if they could.

 

 

I think it's the "silver like" paint. Don't lick your headphone & you should be fine.
 

 

post #1221 of 3844

Too late I already did  eek.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post



 

I think it's the "silver like" paint. Don't lick your headphone & you should be fine.
 

 



 

post #1222 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinster View Post

Too late I already did  eek.gif
 



 


Obviously you didn't read the "not suitable for children under 3" warning. rolleyes.gif

 

post #1223 of 3844

Anyone used these for competitive gaming yet? How are they? Is the soundstage large enough to be be decent for gaming and movies?

I don't know what do expect from the soundstage of the SRH-940. Can it be similar in size to an open headphone or can it ever fool you into thinking this?

Is the soundstage as large as the D2000? Probably way smaller in size than the HD-600 I imagine, but of course this should be obvious.

 

I hope the comfort is better than the SRH-840.

post #1224 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 

I don't know what do expect from the soundstage of the SRH-940. Can it be similar in size to an open headphone or can it ever fool you into thinking this?

Is the soundstage as large as the D2000? Probably way smaller in size than the HD-600 I imagine, but of course this should be obvious.

 

 

I  found that the soundstage of srh940 , roughly half of hd595 , which seems good . Now  I've  read that the hd595 have a smaller soundstage than hd600.

So logically, less than half of hd600 soundstage. Anyway, I  don't care I  use some dsp effect to increase it artificially with music, and dolby headphone  effect can be used on movies too..

 

post #1225 of 3844

I've heard all three cans mentioned and I like the Shure soundstage best.

post #1226 of 3844

How on earth does one measure soundstage? I admit that I don't much care for that factor, as long as it doesn't contribute negatively to instrument separation and the such... But SRH940 = ½HD595, that seems quite vivid :)

post #1227 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by electropop View Post

How on earth does one measure soundstage? I admit that I don't much care for that factor, as long as it doesn't contribute negatively to instrument separation and the such... But SRH940 = ½HD595, that seems quite vivid :)


I would like to know as well. I can only judge the soundstage from instrent separation...are those two different things? The 940's have better instrument separation than the HD25-1-ii's and sound more realistic in terms of sound placement to my ears.

I can certainly compare the soundstage of a headphone relative to another headphone but I wouldn't know how to quantify it. My CX 300's sound cramped and claustrophobic compared to the 940's or my open-back HD 238's but I have no idea how much smaller it is. What does twice of the soundatage of the 940's sound like? I have no idea. I think Electropop is wondering the same.

I don't quite understand how people can judge a headphone's soundstage in terms of depth and width.
Edited by miceblue - 9/11/11 at 2:24am
post #1228 of 3844

I dont know about 1/2 or 1/3d or what not but I can sort of talk about depth and width in relation to each other. Width for example is usually simulated by a boost in one part of the lower treble region doubled with a frequency in the upper mids. I don't know the exact frequencies but thats what Ive noticed. Depth is usually simulated by a recession of some part of the mids too. I don't know the exact frequencies but it is just what I have observed.

post #1229 of 3844


Humm... Not sure about that. I tough that separation is how we can locate individual instruments on the virtual stage (in my head while eyes are closed) and soundstage would be quantify by the space we can perceived between each of them. A good soundstage would exceed out of my head. The depth is the distance between us the listeners and the musician from that same virtual stage. So on a standard live band recording you would get the singer almost in the middle front stage with the drummer behind him and the guitar on one side and the bass player in the other maybe a bit behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donunus View Post

I dont know about 1/2 or 1/3d or what not but I can sort of talk about depth and width in relation to each other. Width for example is usually simulated by a boost in one part of the lower treble region doubled with a frequency in the upper mids. I don't know the exact frequencies but thats what Ive noticed. Depth is usually simulated by a recession of some part of the mids too. I don't know the exact frequencies but it is just what I have observed.



 

post #1230 of 3844

Quote:

Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


 What does twice of the soundatage of the 940's sound like? I have no idea. I think Electropop is wondering the same.
 

 I'm just  considering "how far", I feel surrounded by the sound , while listening to different tracks.It is obvious to me, that each instruments are "projected in my head" at bigger distances  on the hd595. So the soundstage of hd595 is obviously wider. The soundstage of srh940 is not "cramped"  at all and decent. So let's consider that it's a rating and not a true "'measure" , I rated it half of hd595 . I consider it's good since I'm comparing a closed headphone vs an open headphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donunus View Post

Width for example is usually simulated by a boost in one part of the lower treble region doubled with a frequency in the upper mids. I don't know the exact frequencies but that's what Ive noticed. Depth is usually simulated by a recession of some part of the mids too. I don't know the exact frequencies but it is just what I have observed.


Yeah, but a main part of the width, come for from how our brain is comparing information from left & right ears. Just like our eyes, you can't perceive things in 3D , with a single eye. What some dsp do, is take information from left  ear , introduce a little delay, and share them partly on right ; and reverse too. This increase the perceived sensation of space. I recommend  the free sheppi for this, but some advanced reverb can do wonders too. There's also the well known dolby headphone, that I  moderately like.

 


Edited by extrabigmehdi - 9/11/11 at 9:56am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread