or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread - Page 80

post #1186 of 3844
Seems like a lot of us have been shy (heh) about adding a touch of EQ to the bass. So for those who do, it would be good to know what settings work best for you in that regard.
post #1187 of 3844

Do you have the silver driver hd600? My newer driver hd600 sounds more forward to me than the shures. Forward meaning more low mids to me. The shures are more aggressive though (forward upper mids). I think we hear the same but just use the word forward differently. The more upfront warmer male vocals of the hd600 makes them more forward for me.

post #1188 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by donunus View Post

Do you have the silver driver hd600? My newer driver hd600 sounds more forward to me than the shures. Forward meaning more low mids to me. The shures are more aggressive though (forward upper mids). I think we hear the same but just use the word forward differently. The more upfront warmer male vocals of the hd600 makes them more forward for me.


Heya,


Perhaps we are just using different terms for the same idea. The SRH940 is a mid monster, it's highs are excellent and detailed, but if they were really forward, it would be harsh and sibilant--which they're not.

 

My HD580's always sounded pretty mellow and laid back. Never felt like it was forward in any area really, nor lacking any where either.

 

Very best,

 

post #1189 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by donunus View Post

Do you have the silver driver hd600? My newer driver hd600 sounds more forward to me than the shures. Forward meaning more low mids to me. The shures are more aggressive though (forward upper mids). I think we hear the same but just use the word forward differently. The more upfront warmer male vocals of the hd600 makes them more forward for me.

I think Stereophile once described forward as where you're apparently sitting in relation to the band. Front row, back aways, etc. It's comparitive more than an absolute.
post #1190 of 3844

yep we got the terms mixed up. Harsh and sibilant are not part of being forward for me. Those terms contribute to aggressiveness. Forward to me is if a vocalist sounds close to you and more intimate instead of being far away like they were in a bigger room further away from you. Beyers dt880s and akg k701s for me are less forward than hd600/650s and grados for example but aggressiveness factor is different. I would then say that the senns arent aggressive but the grados are. The k701s and dt880s are in between with the 701s being slightly more aggressive while the 880s are slightly brighter.


Edited by donunus - 9/7/11 at 6:10pm
post #1191 of 3844

say for example talking about an acoustic guitar playing... I would say the senns are more forward than the shures because I can hear the body of the guitar as if they are being played closer to my ears while the shures sound thinner as if they were further away. The highs from the harmonic overtones of the strings being brighter on the shures make me say they are more aggressive... more as if the room the guitar being played in is more live than dead yet the guitar is further away than the senns presentation.

post #1192 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by donunus View Post

say for example talking about an acoustic guitar playing... I would say the senns are more forward than the shures because I can hear the body of the guitar as if they are being played closer to my ears while the shures sound thinner as if they were further away. The highs from the harmonic overtones of the strings being brighter on the shures make me say they are more aggressive... more as if the room the guitar being played in is more live than dead yet the guitar is further away than the senns presentation.

It can get complicated because even in a given context like guitar sound, the forwardness might vary by factors other than the particular headphone, unless everything you're comparing is pretty close to neutral. If you have two headphones you compare side by side, and you can equalize the volume of each for comparison, then I suppose that would work because equalizing the volumes assumes that some representative large portion of the midrange is equally loud. How easy is that? Not usually that easy for me!
post #1193 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshoe99 View Post

Seems like a lot of us have been shy (heh) about adding a touch of EQ to the bass. So for those who do, it would be good to know what settings work best for you in that regard.

I  just use a reverb preset that tame the most aggressive highs, and help the bass to become more apparent. At least, I find the end result more relaxing, than default sound

Unfortunately the reverb vst I  use is commercial, and I didn't find a good free alternative to recommend.
 

 

post #1194 of 3844

What is the application (Player) that you are using for the reverb?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post



I  just use a reverb preset that tame the most aggressive highs, and help the bass to become more apparent. At least, I find the end result more relaxing, than default sound

Unfortunately the reverb vst I  use is commercial, and I didn't find a good free alternative to recommend.
 

 



 

post #1195 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshoe99 View Post


It can get complicated because even in a given context like guitar sound, the forwardness might vary by factors other than the particular headphone, unless everything you're comparing is pretty close to neutral. If you have two headphones you compare side by side, and you can equalize the volume of each for comparison, then I suppose that would work because equalizing the volumes assumes that some representative large portion of the midrange is equally loud. How easy is that? Not usually that easy for me!

 

Well, frequency response is directly related to spatial perspective. Just like diffuse field eqd headphones produce a more speakerlike perspective to sound in headphones than free field equalized ones.
 

 

post #1196 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinster View Post

What is the application (Player) that you are using for the reverb?

I just use a vst bridge inside foobar. Basically  I use a free impulse set called M7 (praised at kvraudio, search & see how audio professionals are raving about it) ,  but there's no good  & free  reverb convolver vst that supports it.  I found a free "true stereo" reverb convolver plugin for foobar, but I  couldn't control amount of effect,  so it was not useful .

 

 

post #1197 of 3844
Hey guys. I'd like to see some people try the putty/Blu-Tack mods and read about their impressions. I'm curious to see if my impressions match anyone else's. With and without the 840 pads too.
post #1198 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by baka1969 View Post

Hey guys. I'd like to see some people try the putty/Blu-Tack mods and read about their impressions. I'm curious to see if my impressions match anyone else's. With and without the 840 pads too.


I'm enjoying the SRH940 stock so far and didn't feel the need to try the 840 pads that came with them (But I will and I'll report back). I want to try the putty mod too.

post #1199 of 3844

I'm considering getting a pair of these. Does anyone have a comparison of these to the Senn HD650s? From what I've read the HD650 might be more detailed. Also, is there any amp/DAC that go well with these?

post #1200 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSquirt View Post

I'm considering getting a pair of these. Does anyone have a comparison of these to the Senn HD650s? From what I've read the HD650 might be more detailed. Also, is there any amp/DAC that go well with these?


The hd650 have obviously a much darker sound i.e more emphasis on the lows (dark vs bright headphone). I  doubt the hd650 can be more detailed, since the srh940 is a bit the detail king of the moment (at least for a budget < 500$, no need to exaggerate). Xonar stx or any good dac  is fine, no need to amp.

 


Edited by extrabigmehdi - 9/8/11 at 9:59am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread