or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Xonar U3 USB DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Xonar U3 USB DAC - Page 4

post #46 of 82

Got mine.

 

If I had to guess there's only around a ~8ms (125hz standard polling) delay (compared to around ~2ms from a dedicated card) . Without doubt, it's more comparable to a standard USB headset than the apparently glitched XFI go Pro I've used. In any case, I can play with this perfectly fine.

 

Drivers works pretty well and seem lightweight. If you're using windows 7, you can pop the card in and out without manually switching sources.

 

If you've used a Xonar this card can pretty much do anything and everything you would expect except being able to change the sample rate.

 

As Far as SQ goes (No effects). My ears aren't the best, but this seems to be a tad brighter than my MM02 which is known for being a warm DAC/SC. I actually like it better with certain headphones to be completely honest.

 

Overall, I think it was worth the $33 USD I paid.

 

 

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post





If you're gaming, you don't copy files through USB, it's that simple. It's not rocket science for one to realize such basic things.

 

Dolby headphone? Lol, it's a matter of preference, and honestly I think both CMSS and DH are junk as software surround emulation.

 

I find it so funny how people are discussing latency about a small form factor USB gaming card, when that's the least important factor, given that there is no realtime recordings going on.

 

Asus lacks EAX (yes, I went there)(oh right, it has the same EAX support as onboard audio chips) and full OpenAL support, therefore Asus is moot. Is this the point where the thread went? Lame.

 

EDIT: Given that gaming or competitive gaming isn't made on netbooks, the CPU load subject is near irrelevant.

 

Games in general lack EAX, but I will admit that creatives FULL desktop DSP aka CA20K2 performs better with certain audio engines.

 

When did we say Portable = Netbook?   Am I not allowed to take this USB sound card and plug it into other desktop computers? The whole reason I said lans was simply because this device will allow me to obtain the same settings/sound through multiple computers without having to mess with a different type of card or the general onboard.

 

If creatives solution had worked for me, I would recommend both products.

 

 

post #47 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylit View Post

Got mine.

 

If I had to guess there's only around a ~8ms (125hz standard polling) delay (compared to around ~2ms from a dedicated card) . Without doubt, it's more comparable to a standard USB headset than the apparently glitched XFI go Pro I've used. In any case, I can play with this perfectly fine.

 

Drivers works pretty well and seem lightweight. If you're using windows 7, you can pop the card in and out without manually switching sources.

 

If you've used a Xonar this card can pretty much do anything and everything you would expect except being able to change the sample rate.

 

As Far as SQ goes (No effects). My ears aren't the best, but this seems to be a tad brighter than my MM02 which is known for being a warm DAC/SC. I actually like it better with certain headphones to be completely honest.

 

Overall, I think it was worth the $33 USD I paid.

 

 

 


 

 

Games in general lack EAX, but I will admit that creatives FULL desktop DSP aka CA20K2 performs better with certain audio engines.

 

When did we say Portable = Netbook?   Am I not allowed to take this USB sound card and plug it into other desktop computers? The whole reason I said lans was simply because this device will allow me to obtain the same settings/sound through multiple computers without having to mess with a different type of card or the general onboard.

 

If creatives solution had worked for me, I would recommend both products.

 

 




for sound quality what better this or x-fi go pro

post #48 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post

EDIT: Given that gaming or competitive gaming isn't made on netbooks, the CPU load subject is near irrelevant.

 

Your contribution to this thread is irrelevant.

 

 

 

 

Do you need to have the xonar u3 control panel app run at startup every time? For example, if you configured it and changed settings, would it still work the same after a reboot if the control panel was not run at startup?

post #49 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Duck View Post

 

Your contribution to this thread is irrelevant.

 

 

 

 

Do you need to have the xonar u3 control panel app run at startup every time? For example, if you configured it and changed settings, would it still work the same after a reboot if the control panel was not run at startup?


 

No, you do not. The drivers will disappear once you unplug the card and will reappear once you plug it back in, but I suggest that you manually switch the source back before unplugging the card since my system seems to BSOD if I don't.

 

Settings remained saved.

 

 

 
It's generally subjective to the user. I mean some people enjoy the Crystallizer and others want a pure audio experience. I feel that the Xonar does a better job at naturalness
Quote:

for sound quality what better this or x-fi go pro

Edited by Skylit - 7/13/11 at 12:45pm
post #50 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylit View Post

Got mine.

 

If I had to guess there's only around a ~8ms (125hz standard polling) delay (compared to around ~2ms from a dedicated card) . Without doubt, it's more comparable to a standard USB headset than the apparently glitched XFI go Pro I've used. In any case, I can play with this perfectly fine.

 

Drivers works pretty well and seem lightweight. If you're using windows 7, you can pop the card in and out without manually switching sources.

 

If you've used a Xonar this card can pretty much do anything and everything you would expect except being able to change the sample rate.

 

As Far as SQ goes (No effects). My ears aren't the best, but this seems to be a tad brighter than my MM02 which is known for being a warm DAC/SC. I actually like it better with certain headphones to be completely honest.

 

Overall, I think it was worth the $33 USD I paid.

 

 

 


 

 

Games in general lack EAX, but I will admit that creatives FULL desktop DSP aka CA20K2 performs better with certain audio engines.

 

When did we say Portable = Netbook?   Am I not allowed to take this USB sound card and plug it into other desktop computers? The whole reason I said lans was simply because this device will allow me to obtain the same settings/sound through multiple computers without having to mess with a different type of card or the general onboard.

 

If creatives solution had worked for me, I would recommend both products.

 

 



I'm sorry that you only experienced the glitched Pro version of the X-Fi Go!, but that certainly doesn't justify the fact that you're badmouthing about Creative in general without even showing proof of knowing how to properly set up a Creative card.

 

CA20K2? LOL. Get your facts straight. Even on ISA there was already hardware acceleration, and while USB doesn't have it, the OpenAL runtime reads hardware flags of Creative hardware, despite running it on software. If you didn't understand what I said, basically Creative cards have better gaming audio support, even USB versions.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Duck View Post

 

Your contribution to this thread is irrelevant.

 

 

 

 

Do you need to have the xonar u3 control panel app run at startup every time? For example, if you configured it and changed settings, would it still work the same after a reboot if the control panel was not run at startup?

 

Your counter argument was worthless, and at least I participated in a valid way to this thread. And you wondering if software settings "stick", just shows how valid you continue to be.
 

Since no one has actually shown any advantages of this Xonar U3 USB dongle over the regular (read, non-Pro) X-Fi Go!, I'm certainly finding it mostly amusing.

post #51 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylit View Post

 

 
It's generally subjective to the user. I mean some people enjoy the Crystallizer and other wants a pure audio experience. I feel that the Xonar does a better job at naturalness


So you're comparing two cards, one *supposedly* with DSP effects turned off and another with one DSP effect turned on. Troll much or just lacking arguments?

post #52 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post





I'm sorry that you only experienced the glitched Pro version of the X-Fi Go!, but that certainly doesn't justify the fact that you're badmouthing about Creative in general without even showing proof of knowing how to properly set up a Creative card.

 

CA20K2? LOL. Get your facts straight. Even on ISA there was already hardware acceleration, and while USB doesn't have it, the OpenAL runtime reads hardware flags of Creative hardware, despite running it on software. If you didn't understand what I said, basically Creative cards have better gaming audio support, even USB versions.


 


 

Badmouthing creative? Do they pay your bills or something?  

 

So you're saying I have to properly setup a creative card? I can't just be a normal consumer and install drivers and expect it to work? Gee. Thanks for justifying the general conscience towards later creative products. I've actually owned creative cards since the SB Live days and think I know how to set up a sound card regardless of what you may think. So by chance I did get a bad creative card, I'm willing to stop by best buy just to test your little theory, but I honestly doubt that's the case if the card was "working" according to creatives support team.

 

Yes, I mentioned CA20K2. LOL! If you actually read my post, you would have noticed that I was actually praising creatives CA20K2 for gaming as it DOES handle certain audio engines better than anything CMEDIA has put out regardless of non existent flags in todays games. I'm not really in a position to trust what you say to be completely honest.

 

post #53 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylit View Post




 

Badmouthing creative? Do they pay your bills or something?  

 

So you're saying I have to properly setup a creative card? I can't just be a normal consumer and install drivers and expect it to work? Gee. Thanks for justifying the general conscience towards later creative products. I've actually owned creative cards since the SB Live days and think I know how to set up a sound card regardless of what you may think. So by chance I did get a bad creative card, I'm willing to stop by best buy just to test your little theory, but I honestly doubt that's the case if the card was "working" according to creatives support team.

 

Yes, I mentioned CA20K2. LOL! If you actually read my post, you would have noticed that I was actually praising creatives CA20K2 for gaming as it DOES handle certain audio engines better than anything CMEDIA has put out regardless of non existent flags in todays games. I'm not really in a position to trust what you say to be completely honest.

 



No, I don't think you got a bad X-Fi Go! Pro, I think all Pro variants of that card have factory issues. If you have the opportunity, test a regular X-Fi Go!, that's the card that should be compared.

 

I lol'd at the fact that you spoke of CA20K2 as a powerful DSP, which it is, but there were plenty before it (far before SB Live!) that already performed above the competition, gaming wise.

 

Yes, if you had experienced a wide range of Creative cards, you would know that they work optimally when set up properly, whether you like that or not.

 

It always comes down to the fact that if gaming is a concern, Creative is the only way to go. Music wise, they're more or less matched. As simple as that.

 

EDIT: And your comparison of two cards, one with effects turned on and another with them turned off, was really realistic.

post #54 of 82

Go troll another thread.

post #55 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Duck View Post

Go troll another thread.



Still unable to contribute? Carry on.

post #56 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post





Still unable to contribute? Carry on.


So glad to have your permission *rollseyes*

 

post #57 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post





So you're comparing two cards, one *supposedly* with DSP effects turned off and another with one DSP effect turned on. Troll much or just lacking arguments?


 

I should be asking the same thing Mr roller, but I haven't really read the forum rules here and I don't want to get in trouble by the mods :)

 

I really don't think you understand English. My sentence doesn't really suggest that I've tested a DSP'd card vs a non DSP'd, but rather, I prefer the Xonar over the Go Pro when it comes to SQ (non DSP'd so you understand). I noted that some people may prefer the GO pro due to the crystallizer and thus subjective to the user.

 

 

 

post #58 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylit View Post




 

I should be asking the same thing Mr roller, but I haven't really read the forum rules here and I don't want to get in trouble by the mods :)

 

I really don't think you understand English. My sentence doesn't really suggest that I've tested a DSP'd card vs a non DSP'd, but rather, I prefer the Xonar over the Go Pro when it comes to SQ (non DSP'd so you understand). I noted that some people may prefer the GO pro due to the crystallizer and thus subjective to the user.

 

 

 



What you wrote was that you prefered the Xonar U3 over the Go! Pro when the U3 has DSP effects turned off and the Go! Pro has Crystalizer enabled. If you compared them both with all DSPs turned off, I wouldn't have said anything. If you want to do proper comparisons, do them properly, effects enabled on both or disabled on both.

post #59 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post





What you wrote was that you prefered the Xonar U3 over the Go! Pro when the U3 has DSP effects turned off and the Go! Pro has Crystalizer enabled.


Um... no he didn't rolleyes.gif

I wasn't going to get into this flame fest, but you implying that was a bit too much.

Which on that note: Sky, it's not that he doesn't understand English as he seems to do that quite well, it's just his reading comprehension skills are a bit lacking redface.gif



Anyways.

My biggest complaint with... well everyone except Creative unfortunately, is lack of Hardware OAL support frown.gif I mean, sure, we've got an over abundance of spare CPU cycles (and complete cores) to spare so that Software OAL offloaded onto the CPU isn't going to bog anything down. There will be advantages to having Hardware support though, whether that be now or in the future. I'm sort of surprised that ASUS didn't push CMedia to incorporate it into their chip. Honestly, I think ASUS needs to get VIA or CMedia to get that incorporated into one of their chips, as well as a PCIe controller so they don't need a bridge chip anymore!
post #60 of 82

 

Xonar u3 review @ The Tech Report

 

http://techreport.com/articles.x/21256

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Xonar U3 USB DAC