I just bought some sennheiser hd 203's, i am new to the world of headphones and headphone amps however i do have an extensive background in home audio. this will be for use with my iPod classic 120gb all music is ALAC and i will be using a line out direct cable. i listen to blues, classic rock, psychedelic rock and jam bands mostly. thanks!
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 1/14/11
- productHeadRoom Total BitHead Headphone Amp / DACtagged by System, 1/14/11
- productSennheiser HD 203 Closed Back Around-the-Ear Studio Headphonestagged by System, 1/14/11
Related Forum Threads
- noob question about amps. Last post on 8/27/12 at 11:22am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp or EQ/soundcard to increase bass with computer Last post on 7/19/12 at 7:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Total Bithead problems Last post on 10/30/14 at 7:13pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Headphones for 256 kbps electronic music Last post on 6/6/12 at 2:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BitHead or AirHead (or other?) Last post on 12/31/11 at 12:31am in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I will leave the technical speak and unboxing play-by-play to the reviews that are already here, done by people who do a much better job than I can currently manage. Just know that the iDSD Micro...
Ok, I've had these for a while now and decided to leave some feedback on these. First thing, the sound from these IEM's (earphones) are nothing short of excellent with a few minor dislikes. At...
I purchased a Bakoon HPA-01 off Massdrop for around $1200 (it is normally around $1700 retail) due to the reputation of Bakoon Japan for making stunning amps. The HPA-01 is from Bakoon Korea,...
It would be impossible to replicate my first impressions of the Pioneer Superior Club Sound in-ear headphone series. As such, if you’d like my initial reaction, check out myPioneer SE-CX9 review....
Intro/Setup The on-ear open-back design is not a very popular segment. I suspect most overlook this category largely because of the lack of isolation compared to the many closed-back...
- Headphone Impedance
Recommend me an amp please
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Being able to use a LOD does get you a much cleaner signal from the iPod. But to get that cleaner signal, you then need an amp, regardless of how easy the 'phones are to drive. I think that's where the OP is coming from.
But right... which one to get? Did you peruse this extensive posting http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/214588/review-portable-amp-roundup-56-portable-amps-reviewed-and-compared-last-update-12-20-10-added-rsa-sr-71b ?
In my case, I've been using a Headroom Bithead -- and I believe the AirHead is the same amp without the USB DAC. I haven't done any comparison, but this has been reliable, it's got selectable crossfeed, and high and low gain settings. Versatile.
Best of luck!
I'm not familiar with the HD203. I made this shift to LOD + amp with my M50s and it's definitely beneficial in that case -- compared to using them straight out of the iPod or using them just with iPod + amp. Of course this may depend on what amp is used as well.
flatmap: Agreed that effectiveness varies between amps. However, there can be headphones which are efficient enough so as not to reap much benefit from a dedicated amp. My IE8 do not appear to benefit much from many amps that I have tried in the sub-$300 range (have not tried more expensive amps).
OP: you may not need to buy an amp. And since the HD 203 retail for $35-50, I don't see many amps you can buy anyway, unless you are willing to spend more on an amp than your headphones.
- Recommend me an amp please
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › La Figaro 339 33 seconds ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 51 seconds ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 1 minute ago
- › Official New York Spring Meet 5.2.15 Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant! 2 minutes ago
- › Have you ever heard sound coming from the front with headphones. 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 3 minutes ago
- › x3 ii external speaker suggestion 5 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 10 minutes ago
- › 2015 vsonic iem lineup VSD2, VSD7, VSD9 11 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by knorris908
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by interpolate
- › Bakoon HPA-01 by Currawong
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2