I just bought some sennheiser hd 203's, i am new to the world of headphones and headphone amps however i do have an extensive background in home audio. this will be for use with my iPod classic 120gb all music is ALAC and i will be using a line out direct cable. i listen to blues, classic rock, psychedelic rock and jam bands mostly. thanks!
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 1/14/11
- productHeadRoom Total BitHead Headphone Amp / DACtagged by System, 1/14/11
- productSennheiser HD 203 Closed Back Around-the-Ear Studio Headphonestagged by System, 1/14/11
Related Forum Threads
- noob question about amps. Last post on 8/27/12 at 11:22am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp or EQ/soundcard to increase bass with computer Last post on 7/19/12 at 7:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Total Bithead problems Last post on 9/26/12 at 11:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Headphones for 256 kbps electronic music Last post on 6/6/12 at 2:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BitHead or AirHead (or other?) Last post on 12/31/11 at 12:31am in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I recently got the AK 100 II after dabbling with a phone based stack. Alternate setup: Samsung Galaxy S5 FIIO E18 + PowerAmp Pro (Cost: 2.99€) + iSyncr (Cost: 3.99€) + Stream to...
After an extensive search online for a replacement for my very good Schiit Bifrost, I settled on the Dacmini, in part from comments here on Head-Fi, and the fact that Stereophile has had it as a...
DUNU DN-2000 Quick Review Full Review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/728105/dunu-dn-2000-review Thanks to DUNU for the sample. Brief: DUNU take’s it to the top. Price: US$316 or £186...
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
I brought these on sale at Best Buy for $44, the price they are at right now are a absolute rip off. ($110) Logitech have discontinued these, I will take a guess in my review why that...
- Headphone Impedance
Recommend me an amp please
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Being able to use a LOD does get you a much cleaner signal from the iPod. But to get that cleaner signal, you then need an amp, regardless of how easy the 'phones are to drive. I think that's where the OP is coming from.
But right... which one to get? Did you peruse this extensive posting http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/214588/review-portable-amp-roundup-56-portable-amps-reviewed-and-compared-last-update-12-20-10-added-rsa-sr-71b ?
In my case, I've been using a Headroom Bithead -- and I believe the AirHead is the same amp without the USB DAC. I haven't done any comparison, but this has been reliable, it's got selectable crossfeed, and high and low gain settings. Versatile.
Best of luck!
I'm not familiar with the HD203. I made this shift to LOD + amp with my M50s and it's definitely beneficial in that case -- compared to using them straight out of the iPod or using them just with iPod + amp. Of course this may depend on what amp is used as well.
flatmap: Agreed that effectiveness varies between amps. However, there can be headphones which are efficient enough so as not to reap much benefit from a dedicated amp. My IE8 do not appear to benefit much from many amps that I have tried in the sub-$300 range (have not tried more expensive amps).
OP: you may not need to buy an amp. And since the HD 203 retail for $35-50, I don't see many amps you can buy anyway, unless you are willing to spend more on an amp than your headphones.
- Recommend me an amp please
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Grado Fan Club! 5 seconds ago
- › Looking for some input 20 seconds ago
- › Is a lossy-lossy conversion process really that degrading in terms... 1 minute ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. FW:1.085 . . . . 2 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › CanMania 2014 @ Capital Audiofest: Impressions & Reports 3 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › ZMF x Vibro Review, Impressions, & Discussion Thread! 5 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by CasperBxl
- › CEntrance DACmini CX by joespride
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by mark2410
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)