I just bought some sennheiser hd 203's, i am new to the world of headphones and headphone amps however i do have an extensive background in home audio. this will be for use with my iPod classic 120gb all music is ALAC and i will be using a line out direct cable. i listen to blues, classic rock, psychedelic rock and jam bands mostly. thanks!
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 1/14/11
- productHeadRoom Total BitHead Headphone Amp / DACtagged by System, 1/14/11
- productSennheiser HD 203 Closed Back Around-the-Ear Studio Headphonestagged by System, 1/14/11
Related Forum Threads
- noob question about amps. Last post on 8/27/12 at 11:22am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp or EQ/soundcard to increase bass with computer Last post on 7/19/12 at 7:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Total Bithead problems Last post on 9/26/12 at 11:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Headphones for 256 kbps electronic music Last post on 6/6/12 at 2:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BitHead or AirHead (or other?) Last post on 12/31/11 at 12:31am in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Review to come when i have some time. Bottom line is, if you can pick these up on sale, they are a good buy for what they are. They are fairly comfortable, have ample bass which sadly lacks a...
Okay, these are my thoughts after a few hours. I recognize that's it's only been a few hours, but my opinion rarely changes with additional time. Initial Impressions: As has been...
I recently parted with my V-Moda Crossfade M-100 DJ Headphones and decided to move into something new. I had heard a lot about the Sennheiser HD 8 DJ and had a chance to own a pair for a Discount...
To be able to value my review I think it is important to mention some things about my preferences and experience with audio equipment and writing reviews. This is my first review for audio gear and...
Hifiman EF2A Review Overview:This is my first headphone amp review and I'm just going to review the amp section of this headphone amp as the DAC is nothing special, a bit better than most computer...
- Headphone Impedance
Recommend me an amp please
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Being able to use a LOD does get you a much cleaner signal from the iPod. But to get that cleaner signal, you then need an amp, regardless of how easy the 'phones are to drive. I think that's where the OP is coming from.
But right... which one to get? Did you peruse this extensive posting http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/214588/review-portable-amp-roundup-56-portable-amps-reviewed-and-compared-last-update-12-20-10-added-rsa-sr-71b ?
In my case, I've been using a Headroom Bithead -- and I believe the AirHead is the same amp without the USB DAC. I haven't done any comparison, but this has been reliable, it's got selectable crossfeed, and high and low gain settings. Versatile.
Best of luck!
I'm not familiar with the HD203. I made this shift to LOD + amp with my M50s and it's definitely beneficial in that case -- compared to using them straight out of the iPod or using them just with iPod + amp. Of course this may depend on what amp is used as well.
flatmap: Agreed that effectiveness varies between amps. However, there can be headphones which are efficient enough so as not to reap much benefit from a dedicated amp. My IE8 do not appear to benefit much from many amps that I have tried in the sub-$300 range (have not tried more expensive amps).
OP: you may not need to buy an amp. And since the HD 203 retail for $35-50, I don't see many amps you can buy anyway, unless you are willing to spend more on an amp than your headphones.
- Recommend me an amp please
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Band Name Game II 11 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 26 seconds ago
- › Westone W60 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › World Cup 2014 1 minute ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 1 minute ago
- › TDK ST-700 quick impressions 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › Dasetn/Tingo/Baldoor earbuds Reviews and Impressions 3 minutes ago
- › THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by Wyd4
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by MattTCG
- › Sennheiser HD8 DJ On Ear Headphones by DJPhiltheThrill
- › FiiO X5 High-res Portable Music Player by Cachicamo
- › Hifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifier by kman1211
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by TrollDragon
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by kman1211
- › Sennheiser HD 201 Headphones by MarcadoStalker7
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by gopats1479
- › Schiit Asgard 2 by Hi-Fi'er
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)