I just bought some sennheiser hd 203's, i am new to the world of headphones and headphone amps however i do have an extensive background in home audio. this will be for use with my iPod classic 120gb all music is ALAC and i will be using a line out direct cable. i listen to blues, classic rock, psychedelic rock and jam bands mostly. thanks!
Related Forum Threads
- noob question about amps. Last post on 8/27/12 at 11:22am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp or EQ/soundcard to increase bass with computer Last post on 7/19/12 at 7:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Total Bithead problems Last post on 9/26/12 at 11:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Headphones for 256 kbps electronic music Last post on 6/6/12 at 2:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BitHead or AirHead (or other?) Last post on 12/31/11 at 12:31am in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Edited on 11/14/12
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
This review is reposted from my blog: http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/soundmagic-hp200-review.html Disclaimer: The HP200 was given to me by SoundMAGIC for this review. This...
Firstly let's get some things squared away: I do not believe in break-in. (Burn-in for those who don't understand terminology.) I do not believe cable materials alter sound. I do not...
The 90s have taken a while to grow on me. I found a deal for the L2s (champagne accents and cable) on AMZ Warehouse and pulled the trigger after becoming interested in JVC's dual-driver...
The DAC market is clearly exploding. Seems like every week or so we hear of a new model being launched. Many of them look quite nice, with good specs and plenty of features. Some...
very relax sounding IEM, great for relaxing, fit is awkward if u have small ears, accessories are tons but most are useless, tape mod is good! Recommended
- Headphone Impedance
Recommend me an amp please
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Being able to use a LOD does get you a much cleaner signal from the iPod. But to get that cleaner signal, you then need an amp, regardless of how easy the 'phones are to drive. I think that's where the OP is coming from.
But right... which one to get? Did you peruse this extensive posting http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/214588/review-portable-amp-roundup-56-portable-amps-reviewed-and-compared-last-update-12-20-10-added-rsa-sr-71b ?
In my case, I've been using a Headroom Bithead -- and I believe the AirHead is the same amp without the USB DAC. I haven't done any comparison, but this has been reliable, it's got selectable crossfeed, and high and low gain settings. Versatile.
Best of luck!
I'm not familiar with the HD203. I made this shift to LOD + amp with my M50s and it's definitely beneficial in that case -- compared to using them straight out of the iPod or using them just with iPod + amp. Of course this may depend on what amp is used as well.
flatmap: Agreed that effectiveness varies between amps. However, there can be headphones which are efficient enough so as not to reap much benefit from a dedicated amp. My IE8 do not appear to benefit much from many amps that I have tried in the sub-$300 range (have not tried more expensive amps).
OP: you may not need to buy an amp. And since the HD 203 retail for $35-50, I don't see many amps you can buy anyway, unless you are willing to spend more on an amp than your headphones.
- Recommend me an amp please
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › fiio e9 6 seconds ago
- › Sony Discman D25 and Fred_Fred 2004 3 way design rechargeable amp 1 minute ago
- › What headphones do you currently use? 1 minute ago
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!)... 1 minute ago
- › Battle Of The Flagships (57 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: Ultimate... 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 thread 2 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Firestone Audio Tobby DAC 3 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 3 minutes ago
- › Is Grado evolving too slowly? 5 minutes ago
- › The BEST-LOOKING Headphones 7 minutes ago
- › Soundmagic HP200 by Quadpatch
- › Pioneer SE-A1000 Lightweight Audiophile AV Over-Ear Headphones (Black) by CrystalT
- › JVC HA-FXT90 by JoeDoe
- › Firestone Tobby by project86
- › Sennheiser IE80 by minhquancanon7d
- › Unique Melody Miracle by Loquah
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by jeffphus
- › SMSL SA-98 Flagship-level Top HIFI Digital Big Power Amplifier... by REvandenBERG
- › Hisoundaudio Wooduo 2 by TheGame21x
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by TKWizard
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Power Corner) by joe