New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Beyer DT1350 - Page 248

post #3706 of 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post
 

 

Well, I should caution you that even with a good DAC (I'm using a Concero), the sound is "softer" with this $120 hybrid amp.

 

The fantastic bass control that can be had with the DT1350 on good solid state amps, is lost with the Schiit Vali.  But the tubey colorations boost the bass energy and bring down the treble a bit, while adding warmth and thickness throughout the FR.  There's also a problem with the Vali's tubes having fairly severe microphonics - read all about it on the Vali thread.  But for $120, it's a fun little amp that offers an easy way to get that euphonic tube sound.  I don't recommend it for planar magnetics, though - the Vali doesn't have enough power, so the dynamics get compressed.  

 

And if you have any recordings that sound bad with analytical amp/headphone combos, the Vali can make that same headphone sound good (with less resolution, of course) - as with the HD800 - an amazingly good pairing.

 

But seriously, the Vali produces a nice change for DT1350 owners.  

 

Mike

Sure.  I watched the Vali thread for a while, so I'm up on the sound signature and microphonics.  But, it's nice to hear about how it pairs with specific headphones.  I also have the DT880 and I've heard good things about it paired with the Vali as well.

 

As for the 1350, I've found it a little funny with certain amps.  I actually love it with my Audinst HUD-mx1, but really don't like it at all when paired with my Asgard 1.  I have no idea what it is, but the Asgard just make the 1350s sound a bit lifeless and bland.  I really don't have the technical know-how to understand why that may be occuring. 

post #3707 of 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline315 View Post
 

Sure.  I watched the Vali thread for a while, so I'm up on the sound signature and microphonics.  But, it's nice to hear about how it pairs with specific headphones.  I also have the DT880 and I've heard good things about it paired with the Vali as well.

 

As for the 1350, I've found it a little funny with certain amps.  I actually love it with my Audinst HUD-mx1, but really don't like it at all when paired with my Asgard 1.  I have no idea what it is, but the Asgard just make the 1350s sound a bit lifeless and bland.  I really don't have the technical know-how to understand why that may be occuring. 

 

Go with your ears - I know exactly what you mean by "lifeless and bland" - no technical explanation necessary.  

 :beerchug: 

post #3708 of 3762
Someone else who likes the DT1350 on a Schitt Vali: http://www.head-fi.org/t/685162/new-vali-schiit-amp/2920_20#post_10166142
post #3709 of 3762

what would be a good upgrade from the dt 1350?

post #3710 of 3762

If you want to stay mobile I'd be hard pressed to name a better option (while I like my M100 very much the DT1350 is overall still better).

 

Main question is: what do you want to upgrade? Comfort? In that case the T51p might be interesting (less clamping, softer pads but soundwise tuned a bit more to consumer tastes). Sound? Depends on taste of course, but I have not heard a better truly mobile headphone so far.

 

Some people like the Momentum (which I consider clearly inferior to the DT1350), the NAD HP50, the Kef M500 or the B&W P7 (heard neither of them so far).

post #3711 of 3762

no I actually dont want to stay mobile :) I use my IE80's as mobile now and I wanted to upgrade my DT 1350 to a full size headphone with similar sound signature.


Edited by zaphod-159 - 1/17/14 at 9:24am
post #3712 of 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod-159 View Post
 

what would be a good upgrade from the dt 1350?

 

I've just bought the Amperior which many have said is superior (we'll see) and has been discontinued so you can get it really cheap right now. Just FYI. I'll let you know how they compare when I get them on Tues or Wed next week. They should at least be a bit of an improvement in comfort.

 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106684

post #3713 of 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post
 

 

I've just bought the Amperior which many have said is superior (we'll see) and has been discontinued so you can get it really cheap right now. Just FYI. I'll let you know how they compare when I get them on Tues or Wed next week. They should at least be a bit of an improvement in comfort.

 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106684

they are still very expensive in the uk :(

post #3714 of 3762

You can usually find a good price on the HD 25-1 II which is pretty much the same headphone but with a higher impedance (70 ohms) and plastic cups. The Amperior also comes with velour pads but you can get the same velours for the HD 25.

post #3715 of 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod-159 View Post
 

no I actually dont want to stay mobile :) I use my IE80's as mobile now and I wanted to upgrade my DT 1350 to a full size headphone with similar sound signature.

 

In that case have a look at other Beyer offerings... T90 performs very well, is quite affordable and has, to my memory of a rather short test, a sound signature not too far from the DT1350, but more detailed and spacious (its open though). T1 is one of my favourite cans if thats within your budget.

 

Don't know the Amperior but hat the HD25 for a while. Prefer the DT1350 by quite a margin, the HD25 has too much kickbass and not enough subbass for my taste. Highs are a bit too aggressive and the soundstage is rather compressed. It fulfills its primary use case (monitoring) and is very good for DJing (loud, robust, kick and highhat very present) but I never could listen to it at home.

post #3716 of 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by plakat View Post
 

 

In that case have a look at other Beyer offerings... T90 performs very well, is quite affordable and has, to my memory of a rather short test, a sound signature not too far from the DT1350, but more detailed and spacious (its open though). T1 is one of my favourite cans if thats within your budget.

 

Don't know the Amperior but hat the HD25 for a while. Prefer the DT1350 by quite a margin, the HD25 has too much kickbass and not enough subbass for my taste. Highs are a bit too aggressive and the soundstage is rather compressed. It fulfills its primary use case (monitoring) and is very good for DJing (loud, robust, kick and highhat very present) but I never could listen to it at home.

thank you for the suggestion, I will definately check it out. Man I just wish I could afford the T1's. I listened to them once and they just blew me away completely.

post #3717 of 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod-159 View Post
 

thank you for the suggestion, I will definately check it out. Man I just wish I could afford the T1's. I listened to them once and they just blew me away completely.

 

In that case I'd try out the T90... I found it to be very capable, retaining the best traits of its bigger brother. If you listen to it not as a smaller T1 but as a model in its own right its a very interesting offer. I would definitely use an amp with that one though, and it will scale above mobile amps. Meier Audio offers some well respected models that pair very well with Beyerdynamic headphones IMO. But you Leckerton should be able to power it for the time being I guess.

post #3718 of 3762
Quote:
 

what would be a good upgrade from the dt 1350?

 
 

 

Maybe the Kef M500.

post #3719 of 3762

Agree on M500 suggestion. How about Thinksound On-1?

post #3720 of 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by plakat View Post
 

 

In that case have a look at other Beyer offerings... T90 performs very well, is quite affordable and has, to my memory of a rather short test, a sound signature not too far from the DT1350, but more detailed and spacious (its open though). T1 is one of my favourite cans if thats within your budget.

 

 

Not trying to contradict you, but the T90 is nothing like the DT1350.  I recently returned a pair of T90s because they were extremely bright for my tastes.  The DT1350, on the other hand, is perfect and I can't see myself being without a pair at hand. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: