New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Beyer DT1350 - Page 181

post #2701 of 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrAdrian View Post

 

Very helpful... You need to talk to Silent One not me xp

 

 

Very technical haha!

 

 

I always get confused when I have to compare the AKG and Beyer house sound... Both are very clear, both has good soundstage, tight bass etc. What do you guys think?

 

Well, what i am trying to say is....beyer house sound is like a cup of tea, a bit tasteless but yet has got flavour to it. It is transparent, sometimes can be thin. Depending on the model, different flavour could be added to it, but after all it is still a cup of tea....sometimes bitter...

 

Although I am aware of the frequency response and resonance of headphones but I am more of a person who like to portray headphones metaphorically.

 

Talking about frequency response, I was doing a online hearing test the other day with my T1, I found out that my upper frequency range has been diminished to 18khz...OMG...I thought I had perfect hearing. Maybe our ability to hear will also impact on our sonic preferences. Like someone with perfect hearing might find some headphone piercing whereas I won't, just a thought.

post #2702 of 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoonv View Post

 

Well, what i am trying to say is....beyer house sound is like a cup of tea, a bit tasteless but yet has got flavour to it. It is transparent, sometimes can be thin. Depending on the model, different flavour could be added to it, but after all it is still a cup of tea....sometimes bitter...

 

Although I am aware of the frequency response and resonance of headphones but I am more of a person who like to portray headphones metaphorically.

 

Talking about frequency response, I was doing a online hearing test the other day with my T1, I found out that my upper frequency range has been diminished to 18khz...OMG...I thought I had perfect hearing. Maybe our ability to hear will also impact on our sonic preferences. Like someone with perfect hearing might find some headphone piercing whereas I won't, just a thought.

I was going to say Green Tea over oolong, Green Tea has a very mellow flavor that's a little deep with some nice high notes,but takes other flavors very well [I'm a cullinary person so I should be able to come with a better analogy and I'll try now]

 

OMG YES

 The Byerdyanmic sound... a pot of GOOD Jasmine Rice! Jasmine rice is very Minilastic and what makes it magical is depending on what you eat with it, you can add a little bit of zest to your rice water to really get a little hint of that flavor! The Dt 880s are like that Jasmine Rice with a hint of Lime zest for brightness! 

 

Ethier way I'm a fan of the Byerdyanmic sound lol, also glad that I did NOT have an ampage issue with them as I though I did [turned out I had a BAD album :( ]

post #2703 of 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoonv View Post
Talking about frequency response, I was doing a online hearing test the other day with my T1, I found out that my upper frequency range has been diminished to 18khz...OMG...I thought I had perfect hearing. Maybe our ability to hear will also impact on our sonic preferences. Like someone with perfect hearing might find some headphone piercing whereas I won't, just a thought.

 

Possible but unlikely in this range. That high frequencies are more "felt" in harmonics or as air than directly perceived. Only major resonances could be annoying and these rarely happen that high. However, major hearing loss will cause loss of sensitivity around 3 kHz - but you'll know it much sooner due to difficulties in understanding speech.

post #2704 of 3762

here's a fun thought, you know those stupid freaking big tall things at the entrance to Retail stores, the anti theft Machines... I walked through em wid my headphones on once and OMG those stupid things make NOISE and now I can hear the dmn things everytime I get near them -.- I was lucky enough to have em BLASTED into my ears once and now that I've haeard em I can identify that noise

 

so YAY my hearing is GOOD and I know it's good because my Eye Sight is GARBAGE xD I can't see worth two cents <3 so yay, so yea yay for quiet music e.e 

post #2705 of 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

I will proably w8 to get the Asgard. I discovered ALL of my problems was because of a crappy Album... don't know why but the ALbum I had was pure junk for some sad reason [bad 16bit loseless that makes me sad :[)

 

But I'm still going to get the c421 just not as urgently as I though I needed to! And how transparent is the Asgard? When you say "more punchier" it could be the amp giving it the punch [which isn't a bad thing] but I still need a good transparent amp b4 I get into coloring the Dt 880s, because the potential is there as you mentioned [burning them in has helped <3] 

 

Ahh yay, got Elctri-Q EQ to work so that's nice! if the nrml foobar made the dts an 11 the Eltri-Q makes em an 11.5/10 xD

There isn't any obvious coloration to the sound.  When I say punchier, I simply mean that the 880s are finally getting the amount of power they need to stretch their legs properly.  More authority in the bass, more intimate sounding vocals, etc.  I assumed the Audinst was already doing that since the volume was never an issue, but the extra power from the Asgard took them somewhere new.  

post #2706 of 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralStorm View Post

 

Possible but unlikely in this range. That high frequencies are more "felt" in harmonics or as air than directly perceived. Only major resonances could be annoying and these rarely happen that high. However, major hearing loss will cause loss of sensitivity around 3 kHz - but you'll know it much sooner due to difficulties in understanding speech.

but there may be correlation between a person's hearing range and his sonic preference?

post #2707 of 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline315 View Post

There isn't any obvious coloration to the sound.  When I say punchier, I simply mean that the 880s are finally getting the amount of power they need to stretch their legs properly.  More authority in the bass, more intimate sounding vocals, etc.  I assumed the Audinst was already doing that since the volume was never an issue, but the extra power from the Asgard took them somewhere new.  

Ahh and there's what I was looking for <3, so yea the Asgard is most certianly worth while to get! In the Future because atm I can't afford it lol

 

But soon enough I will ^^ How big is it btw? 

post #2708 of 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

Ahh and there's what I was looking for <3, so yea the Asgard is most certianly worth while to get! In the Future because atm I can't afford it lol

 

But soon enough I will ^^ How big is it btw? 

Size: 9 x 6.75 x 2.25”

 

It's very solid and well-built.  I got mine used for $180, so you may be able to afford it sooner than you think.

post #2709 of 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline315 View Post

Size: 9 x 6.75 x 2.25”

 

It's very solid and well-built.  I got mine used for $180, so you may be able to afford it sooner than you think.

180 USED dude, they are $189 new lol last time I checked!

 

and is that Inches? 

post #2710 of 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

180 USED dude, they are $189 new lol last time I checked!

 

and is that Inches? 

Yes, inches.

 

Not sure where you say that.  The Asgard has always been $249 + shipping.

post #2711 of 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoonv View Post

but there may be correlation between a person's hearing range and his sonic preference?

I'd love to see some actual data on that, but:

a) I no longer have an AES e-library pass - ended along with university studies. And that is where all the interesting papers are held.

b) I'm not aware of this having been studied in detail at all.

 

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencycheckhigh.php

 

By these tests, I happen to have 19kHz+ hearing, again confirming the audiology - this might well be the limitation of the measurement device. (Spiral Ear SE-5)

The actual -3 dB steady state loudness is achieved by 18.5k actually.

On low end, these start right before 20 Hz, probably at 18 Hz.

(10 Hz is audible by some overtone, definitely the transducer fails to reproduce it properly. Again, hitting SE-5 limitations...)

 

Real annoying sine tones. Also apparently something in the audio chain aliases around 21.5-22 kHz. I randomly blame Pulseaudio Speex resampler - it's not a critical issue anyway.

 

I'm quite inclined to mark it as "normal" on file, just like the audiologist. Don't go the Pete Townshend way, heh. http://www.abelard.org/hear/hear.php#townshend_ipod_251006

(Seriously, who listens at 70% volume with stock horrible iBuds... that level is enough to be far louder than horribly loud underground!)


Edited by AstralStorm - 10/11/12 at 12:09am
post #2712 of 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline315 View Post

Yes, inches.

 

Not sure where you say that.  The Asgard has always been $249 + shipping.


Yea i was thinking about the c421 AP8620, that's 189 xD

 

But yea I may be able to get a used Asgard for that price lol, still it's not to big thats good!

post #2713 of 3762

Even though my hearing starts at 17khz, I don't like bright headphones at all (so I'm certainly not trying to compensate for modest hearing loss); the typical Beyer's headphones spike  the treble at around 10khz, which bothers me a bit, and though the graph on headroom shows that the dt1350 has that expected spike at the expected frequency, I'm hopping that the 1350 actually has less treble energy  overall, which once again the headroom graph strongly suggests. I remember a few years back buying the Shure 440's which had a pretty hot treble spike in that area too, and I have to say, that spike coupled with its rather anemic low end, really bothered me. Every time I put those headphones on and listened for more than 10 minutes, my mood would darken, and I was shocked one day when my wife noted that I looked angry whenever I listened to those headphones. Well that was the end of the road for the Shure 440 or any other Shure headphones for that matter: if that's their house sound, I don't want to have anything to do with that company. My 1350s should be here later today. After I had a little time with them, I'll post a few impressions. 


Edited by Madmollusk - 10/11/12 at 1:15pm
post #2714 of 3762

Madmollusk, you should enjoy the Beyers. Compared to something like The Grado RS-1's the Beyers are much more even in their presentation. Not nearly as bright and they have a solid but not boomy bottom end.  Looking forward to your impressions.....

 

popcorn.gif

post #2715 of 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmollusk View Post

Even though my hearing starts at 17khz, I don't like bright headphones at all (so I'm certainly not trying to compensate for modest hearing loss); the typically Beyer's headphones spike  the treble at around 10khz, which bothers me a bit, and though the graph on headroom shows that the dt1350 has that expected spike at the expected frequency, I'm hopping that the 1350 actually has less treble energy  overall, which once again the headroom graph strongly suggests. I remember a few years back buying the Shure 440's which had a pretty hot treble spike in that area too, and I have to say, that spike coupled with its rather anemic low end, really bothered me. Every time I put those headphones on and listened for more than 10 minutes, my mood would darken, and I was shocked one day when my wife noted that I looked angry whenever I listened to those headphones. Well that was the end of the road for the Shure 440 or any other Shure headphones for that matter: if that's their house sound, I don't want to have anything to do with that company. My 1350s should be here later today. After I had a little time with them, I'll post a few impressions. 


Nice Nice, and I'm sorry to hear that the Shures angered you lol, still I like the Byer house sound, looking forward to your review

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: