I am considering buying the DT1350. Do I need an amp for these?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyerdynamic DT48 E 200 ohmstagged by System, 4/8/11
- productbeyerdynamic T50ptagged by System, 2/10/11
- productBeyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350tagged by System, 4/16/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/12/11
- categoryOn Eartagged by autoexec, 5/26/13
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 1/12/11
- productSennheiser Amperior On-Ear Headphonestagged by autoexec, 5/26/13
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 1/12/11
Related Forum Threads
- On ear or over ear headphone with good isolation in the sub $200 range? Last post on 9/7/12 at 2:25pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Portable Headphones, On-ear vs over-ear and how much should one spend? etc... Last post on 9/20/12 at 8:14am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Budget $200-300 Want over-ear decent design headphone to buy Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Portable Headphone Advice... Last post on 7/15/12 at 1:11pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- [review/comparison] Beyerdynamic DT1350, T50p, Sennheiser HD25-1-ii, HD25-13-ii, Pioneer... Last post on 12/3/16 at 9:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
There are a few brands that could be considered a powerhouse in the world of audio and headphones and beyerdynamic is without a doubt one of them. beyerdynamic has been family owned since...
REVIEWER INTRODUCTION First of all, I want to introduce my gear while writing this review. I'm using my AKG K612 PRO headphone with my Fiio X3 2nd Gen dedicated DAP. Currently I don't own any...
Preamble Whilst I have been an audio enthusiast for many years now, I must admit I have never really been all that interested in using any kind of esoteric cables with my systems. I have always...
Preamble: It is finally happening – Brainwavz Audio is making in-ears with Balanced Armature drivers again. After they were introduced to the public few months ago, the two single-BA...
The Lyra, released back in 2014-15 was refreshed along with Campfire Audio's dynamic and hybrid lineup as the Lyra II, and is a personal single dynamic driver favourite. We would like to thank...
New Beyer DT1350 - Page 108
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1607 of 39864/26/12 at 8:38am
For portable use, I don't think they'd need an amp. I use mine directly out of the Cowon C2 and I think it's fine. I do believe that they would benefit a lot from one though. I've plugged mine in my dad's stereo set up and it sounded wonderful, likewise amps like the SR-71a and 2stepdance IMO can drive them with authority already.post #1609 of 39864/26/12 at 10:28amQuote:
If your forget the somebody will actually take you seriously...post #1611 of 39864/26/12 at 10:56ampost #1612 of 39864/26/12 at 11:05amQuote:
Amp? yes. EQ? these cans are neutral enough.post #1613 of 39864/26/12 at 11:15amQuote:Quote:
Told you so.
Tangtang, read back a dozen or so pages and pay attention to RD's and purrin's posts.post #1615 of 39864/26/12 at 12:02pmQuote:
Indeed. That's why I avoid the Beyer DT1350.post #1616 of 39864/26/12 at 1:15pmpost #1617 of 39864/26/12 at 1:21pmpost #1618 of 39864/26/12 at 2:50pmPeople making sarcastic comments, unless it it clearly so, doesn't help users in making choices about gear selection. If you have differing opinions to another user then spell it out and then move on.
The most important thing though is to only make comment about what you have actually used or heard.
If someone is looking for a closed portable can then DT1350 is a great place to start.post #1619 of 39864/26/12 at 3:53pm
I think it was pretty clear and obvious those sarcastic comments were sarcastic given the use of certain grammatical constructs and outlandish claims by RD and me respectively.
But putting all fanboism and hater-ism aside, lets look at some objective data comparing two other popular supra-auras with the DT1350:
DT1350 (Non-defective) Frequency Response
Energy storage from 500Hz up
V-Moda M80 Frequency Response
Energy storage from 500Hz up
HD25+random characters Frequency Response
Energy Storage from 500Hz up
Why I Didn't Do This Earlier
I would have posted this much earlier, but this thread seemed more to be an fanboi appreciation thread rather than one where the strengths of weaknesses of the DT1350 could actually be discussed. I generally don't feel like posting good data like this if people just want fawn over how great their own headphones are.
Personal Opinions and Subjective Impressions
My personal opinion is that the Senn is the worst of the three. Too much low bass, mid bass, and high bass. While not very much in energy storage in the treble, there are sharp peaks, and these hurt me. The flatness of the midrange is commendable, but the bass and treble are showstopper issues for me. It does sound clean, but out of my main rig, I don't hear the little nuances and micro-detail, what I call plankton, which involve me in the music. In other words, it's clinical sounding. Many others will however appreciate the Senn for what it is, and that's OK.
The V-Moda and Beyer are a toss-up for me. Although the DT1350 has better transient response and is cleaner and snappier than the M80, it has an obvious ridge at 14kHz. The good thing is that this resonance is quite high up and thus not too noticeable. The other thing I found troubling is the upper-mids: the double peaks at 2k and 4.5k followed by a depression up to the peak. This is a little bit too uneven and "odd" sounding for my tastes. While the M80 isn't much better with its significant 1.5-2k bump. The bump is broad, and what follows after it is a little more linear than the Beyer. I found both headphones able to reproduce the plankton I am so fond of. Ultimately, I give the M80s the nod because of it's more laid back treble.
Finally, while these supra-aurals (M80 and DT1350) are very very good, and have certain characteristics of top headphones such as the HE500 or HE6, they really do not come close upon greater scrutiny. Powering them balanced with special op-amp kits, or un-obtainium vintage tubes circa 1920 - it all doesn't matter. These measurements don't change much or at all with different amps or DACs, not matter how expensive or special.
For comparison. Even a modest "Mid-Fi" HE500 spanks the DT1350 when it comes to energy storage (or lack thereof) - which often relates to perceived "speed", decay, and "black-ground"
And just in case you are wondering, my ears hear the same thing as above. The HE500 is simply way more neutral and cleaner sounding with a much blacker background than the DT1350.
Edited by purrin - 4/26/12 at 10:30pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- New Beyer DT1350
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Need some help deciding 5 seconds ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm Impressions Thread 23 seconds ago
- › HiFiMAN HM650 Portable Music Player Impressions Thread 31 seconds ago
- › How to fix my broken inears 43 seconds ago
- › AKG K845BT White Like New; FAMOUS! 47 seconds ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 1 minute ago
- › my first imprsssion in kinera ba05 1 minute ago
- › Decware - Zen Head ZH1 Portable Headphone amp 1 minute ago
- › New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T5p Second Generation Audiophile Headphones by crabdog
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Mustainized
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by Peddler
- › Brainwavz B100 Balanced Armature Earphone by HiFiChris
- › Campfire Audio Lyra II by alffla
- › Kingston Headset KHX-H3CL/WR HyperX Cloud Headset Black Retail by tproc
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by tproc
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5 by NCSUZoSo
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by FortisFlyer75
- › Audio-Opus Opus#2 by twister6
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear