- 26 Posts. Joined 11/2010
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Portable amp with HIFIMAN players : is it necessary ? Last post on 3/21/11 at 1:15pm in Portable Source Gear
- Hifiman owners: let's lobby for amps for our beloved HM801 Last post on 2/5/10 at 8:32am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Two new HifiMan players announced: HM700 and HM802 Last post on Today at 5:23 am in Portable Source Gear
- DACs and DAPs: W4S DAC-2, Algorhythm Solo, Hifiman HM801, HM601, Hi Sound Studio V Last post on 9/15/13 at 1:06pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- [ASK] Best Dap / mp3 player for Shure Se215 T___T Last post on 7/21/12 at 1:09pm in Portable Source Gear
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 12/4/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
The CAL! 2 is a big improvement over the first version. Creative brands this as a "premium headphone" on the box, but is it? First thing I noticed was the soundstage. It's MUCH better than...
As nicely explained by Victor in his review of the same CIEM, this is the previous flagship model from FitEar. In fact, unless you are married to the emphasised bass of the MH335DW, this would...
First of all, I am not a audiofile with several pairs of $1,000 headphones. I am more of a casual listener but I do like good sound. This is also my first review on head-fi so give me some feedback...
I love these headphones! So comfortable you will forget you're wearing them. My cousin once commented "This is the best bass I've ever heard in a headphone!" While I know there are headphones out...
My first in-ear headphone. Always thought they couldn't be any good compared to the over-ear headphones. I was wrong. The looks are a matter of taste, so I keep that in the middle for a...
Portable amp with HIFIMAN players : is it necessary ?post #1 of 51/12/11 at 2:24amThread StarterHello all, I'm going to Jaben store, Singapore, in a few days to buy a hifiman player : don't know again if it will be HM-601 or HM-801. Given your experiences, would it be a good idea (in term of SQ improvement) to add a good portable amp to the players? Are the default HIFIMAN amps already good enough compared to Meier or RSA amps? Thanks
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 51/12/11 at 4:17pm
From what I have read, the big amp in the HM-801 (not the GAME amp) is very good for big cans, but the HM-601 falls a little short of the power needed to really push phones. Even the big amp in the 801 uis not as good as a top portable amp, as it is just a card and has space limitations. It really depends on what headphones you want to drive. If you have IEMs or portable phones, the built in amps are fine, but if you want to drive some big hard to drive cans, you should get a good separate amps.post #3 of 52/2/11 at 5:36am
I'm happy with the way the 601 drives both a pair of HD650 and a pair of AH-D2000. I haven't yet compared with a portable amp (I have a Predator) because I'm happy with the way it sounds without one,post #4 of 52/5/11 at 10:16pmpost #5 of 52/6/11 at 8:38am
It is all up to the individual user, I find that I do not need to use an external amp when driving my on the go cans (iems, buds, and small units like the ATH-ESW9).
- Portable amp with HIFIMAN players : is it necessary ?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 1 minute ago
- › TEAC UD-H01 USB DAC 1 minute ago
- › $30 Fake Sennheiser ie80 that sounds very similar? 1 minute ago
- › FS: Joe Grado HP2 99,99999% lettering HP1000 2 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 2 minutes ago
- › Walkman NWZ F886 officialy announced!! [192khz/24bits] 2 minutes ago
- › PSB M4U 2 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear Impressions 3 minutes ago
- › Cologne-fi 5 minutes ago
- › Do you think audiophiles have a much deeper appreciation of music... 5 minutes ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by Quaresma
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Kiats
- › Monster iSport LIVESTRONG® In-Ear Headphones by Bassbanger101
- › Sennheiser HD 560 Ovation by Beeferer
- › Philips S2BK/28 Fidelio In-Ear Headsets by Antilochos
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by jshaffe
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi