For what it's worth, the SRH440 is pretty darn solid -- did a test of them before splurging on the 840 a while back, but they're good.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/12/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 1/12/11
- productSennheiser HD 558tagged by System, 1/12/11
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 1/12/11
- productShure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 1/12/11
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 1/12/11
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 1/12/11
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 1/12/11
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Beats studio bass with some good sound quality..? Last post on 1/4/11 at 2:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Help me choose :) Last post on 12/11/12 at 9:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
For larger (1200x800) images, simply click any photoINTRODUCTIONAhhh – the portable amplifier – one of the audio enthusiast's more misunderstood tools / assets. For the beginner, there...
Preamble: I have already reviewed some of 1MORE’s and Xiaomi’s audio products in the past and all of them offered a great sound experience for their very reasonable price point. The...
I love the openness and light weight of earbuds, unfortunately those earbuds I tried such as OMX95, MX375, were lack of bass and musicality. Then I found Fiio EM3 is under $10 and got good review,...
I had K3003i with a custom cable. I bough it used and the cable had been replaced and the seller assured not sound different to original I loved it. I used it with Fiio X3 2nd Gen. I liked the...
Compared to nothing (in the way of noise cancelling) these are better than that. Damning with faint praise? Yeah, I guess so, but really what can you expect for the price. Sony makes a product...
Best headphones at Best Buy under $200??? Beats? - Page 6
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 881/18/11 at 5:33ampost #78 of 881/18/11 at 8:31am
depending on what you're looking for.post #79 of 881/18/11 at 10:52am
Well I've got all 3 and as an overall headphone the 440 is supreme. Easily.
For enjoyment and bass quantity etc, then the 700's come out - I do listen to a lot of dub, trance and progressive techno so.
But if you're going to listen to a variation of genres and want one headphone - 440 vs xb700 = 440.post #80 of 881/18/11 at 11:05am
Personally, I like the Koss PortaPro and the Sennheiser HD238 a bit better than the Sony XB500/700... Can't say I have heard the Shure SRH 440, but FR graphs suggest a lot of bass roll-off.post #81 of 881/18/11 at 11:51amQuote:
Considering his choices, I think he's more into something closed and non-leaky, which the Portapros just don't fit into.
OP, these are really different sets of headphones. The SRH440 are regarded as some of the most neutral budget headphones, where the XB-500 are... well, XB stands for Extra-Bass, so I guess you know what I mean. They aren't neutral at all. I'm sorry if I missed this info on your posts, but what exactly are you looking for in terms of sound? Bass emphasis or not?
And yes, either one would probably sound better than the HD438, which aren't actually bad.
So, whate xactly are you looking forpost #82 of 881/18/11 at 11:51am
Yea they're one of my 'funner' cans - I don't listen analytically to them but I can see where the bass rolling off comes from the graph, from my point of view, it's still very sharp and tight, certain frequencies more than others.
Still excellent cans imo.post #83 of 881/18/11 at 12:01pmpost #84 of 881/18/11 at 6:57pmThread Starter
I listen to mostly Top 40 (rock & rap) music. I like deep bass, but want clear mids & highs too. They will be hooked up to my Dell laptop or iPod Classic.
I'd prefer on-ear headphones, rather than over the ear eadphones.
Any suggestions now?post #85 of 881/19/11 at 3:12am
I'm sure someone here will be able to help you, and by no means do I want to kill the thread, but next time post in the Portable Headphones section, since people there specialize in on-ears.
With that said, maybe the AKG K 518? I'll have to give them a try again today at a local retailer, but I'm pretty sure they were decent.post #86 of 883/7/14 at 6:22pmpost #87 of 883/7/14 at 7:36pm
- Best headphones at Best Buy under $200??? Beats?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › BHSE - tube rolling 4 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 5 seconds ago
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget... 7 seconds ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 57 seconds ago
- › Beyer DT880/DT250 hybrid 1 minute ago
- › thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 3 minutes ago
- › Little Dot MK8SE / MK6 Super Mods (All verified mods are on first... 3 minutes ago
- › Hi everyone! 3 minutes ago
- › Shinrico E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier by crabdog
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by dalesky
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear