Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Heard the s4 - love it ... but what about M2?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Heard the s4 - love it ... but what about M2?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Hi, i've recently heard my friend's S4 and i have to say i loveee it is a far cry from my current v-moda vibes (bass overpowers Everything).

 

This got me to start reading about IEMs and trawling the forum for information.. also seen jokers thread (great btw) but now im just wondering on:

 

  1. I really like how S4 is so clear and clean compared to vibe, how does the brainwavz M2 hold up in this area? 

       After the s4 everything else seems muffled especially the vocal - treble :(

 

  2. I mostly listen to pop-rnb and some electronic music am i on the right track with these two IEMs?

 

 Comments appreciated :D

post #2 of 12

The thing about clarity is that it is possible for an earphone to accentuate it artificially. The S4 does this by thinning out the midrange and having relatively bright treble - both things that make it sound more 'clear'. If you move to a more natural-sounding earphone such as the M2 or M3, you will lose quite a bit of both of those things. If we are talking about the natural clarity of the drivers, which depends on transient response, etc., the M2 should be a match for the S4. But it may not seem like it since it lacks the bright and aggressive treble of the Klipsch and also produces a thicker sound. I don't think you have to worry about muffled vocals with the M2 as it does bring the midrange forward quite a bit.

 

Bottom line - if you like the sound of the Klipsch and are trying to replicate it, the M2 may not be aggressive (or v-shaped in response) enough for you. I haven't written up a full review yet but the ECCI PR401 is probably the one to buy in that case for a slightly more 'fun' sound with a good amount of treble sparkle. If you want to try something a bit different from the Klipsch, I think you will like the M2 despite the different overall balance. 

post #3 of 12

Agreed with |Joker|. If you want something similar to S4, PR401 is a great sub $100 choice (my review here), Other wise M2 is a good, but different sounding choice as well.

post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the advice and replies guys!

 

Spot on on the clarity joker! Didn't realise it's called a V-shaped response..

Love how the vocal is almost like spoken words yet the music, especially the bass is there to support it.

 

Would definitely be checking out the PR401! How would you guys rate it compared to the S4?

Since its the same price (~$80) i'm not sure which one to go for.... heck even tempted to splurge more now haha

post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeri View Post

Would definitely be checking out the PR401! How would you guys rate it compared to the S4?

Since its the same price (~$80) i'm not sure which one to go for.... heck even tempted to splurge more now haha



I prefer the PR401 - it's softer-sounding than the S4 and seems more natural and organic as a result. It's also more spacious and does a better of job when it comes to steering clear of unpleasantries like harshness and sibilance.

post #6 of 12

I have had the S4's and now am on the M2's. They are definitely different phones. The S4's are much better on clarity, you can really hear all the instruments, every breath on the microphone. But for me they were too focused on the high's and had sibilance issues (sometimes the highs actually hurt.. not good). M2's are definitely a more "fun" experience, much more balanced and focused on the mid's.

post #7 of 12

M2's have much nicer mids and less aggressive highs with zero sibilance.

post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusiosmarvos View Post

I have had the S4's and now am on the M2's. They are definitely different phones. The S4's are much better on clarity, you can really hear all the instruments, every breath on the microphone. But for me they were too focused on the high's and had sibilance issues (sometimes the highs actually hurt.. not good). M2's are definitely a more "fun" experience, much more balanced and focused on the mid's.



True, but i was under the impression that mid is refering to the instruments (good for classical music?) i may be wrong but because of this i'm leaning towards the highs (vocals?) and the bass iems...

 

Can getting a higher tier IEMs like a dual armature ones help resolve the issues? 

post #9 of 12

Which of these two has the most bass? I listen to a lot of hip hop and I read from a couple places the s4 bass can be a bit lacking.

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot30 View Post

Which of these two has the most bass? I listen to a lot of hip hop and I read from a couple places the s4 bass can be a bit lacking.


 

............LOL, and Ive read from places that the S4 bass is overwhelming.  See whats going on here?  Subjectivity.......What one person loves, another hates.  I would try and give the S4 a listen if you can. 

post #11 of 12

Haha exactly, I'm getting quite annoyed with it. Sadly there's no way to test the S4 so I just ordered the M2 but I have a 30 day period to return them. We'll see how they do. If I absolutely have to, I will pair them with my E5 with bass boost.

post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot30 View Post

Haha exactly, I'm getting quite annoyed with it. Sadly there's no way to test the S4 so I just ordered the M2 but I have a 30 day period to return them. We'll see how they do. If I absolutely have to, I will pair them with my E5 with bass boost.


Good idea..............

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Heard the s4 - love it ... but what about M2?