My K271's recently fell apart and I've been looking at some cans for under $300 to replace them. The main thing I'm wondering though is if I'd notice much of a difference between the K701 and K271 since I'm mainly going to be using it to plug into my comp (onboard sound) and won't have an amp. Obviously no one can tell me for sure, but would this be a significant upgrade to someone who doesn't consider themselves an audiophile? I mean I can tell the difference between SR60's and my K271's (lol) but I'm very much a n00b still. I do listen to a lot of rock/metal however and have heard these cans may not be the best for that, though I thought my K271's still did a pretty good job with it. My last question is about the open style of the 701's - the only other open headphones I've owned were the SR60's...are the 701's about as loud as that from the perspective of someone in the same room as me?
Related Forum Threads
- k701 sound wierd at 100hr mark Last post on 1/18/12 at 12:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Razer Tiamat vs. Steelseries 7H vs. Gamecom 377? Last post on 10/17/11 at 2:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New Headphones for Orchestra? (Shure 940's?) Last post on 9/19/11 at 3:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Open-back phones for music creation at home Last post on 9/11/11 at 8:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones with super crisp vocals. Last post on 9/11/11 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
All instruments come to live with pm1, crystal clear and smooth at the same time. Pm1 made my Sennheiser hd650 and Grado reference 1 sound harsh and incomplete. I had some time to listen to hd800...
The Fiil Diva headphone is probably one of the most intuitive headphones south of $200. They have features that make them almost 3-4 headphones in one, currently they can be had for about $129 on...
Recently My Noble 5 developed a rattle on the left side, so I sent them back to Noble, in return they upgraded me to the Dulce Bass, I've had these for 3 days now and let me tell you what a step up...
My first Head-Fi review. Pledged for these on Kickstarter this year. I own full range electrostatic speakers (Acoustat 3) and electret headphones (Audio Technica AT706). The Mitchell & Johnson...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I didn't really know about PaiAudio at all until very recently when I was approached by Alex Fan...
Thinking of getting K701's (noobish questions inside)post #1 of 151/11/11 at 5:39pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 151/11/11 at 5:49pmpost #3 of 151/11/11 at 6:19pmThread Starterpost #4 of 151/11/11 at 10:04pmThread Starterpost #5 of 151/12/11 at 2:57ampost #6 of 151/12/11 at 3:02am
The K701's are great but in order for it to shine, you will need proper amping. If not, you shouldn't really bother like what baka is saying. Also, the AD700 lacks bass but I'm not sure whether its good for rock/metal. The K701's also leak out a lot of sound as it is an open headphones.post #7 of 151/12/11 at 3:07am
I Used my K702 unamped and without a Dac while they where getting shipped and all i can say you will get better sound out of something like Sennheiser 595 unamped then k70x unamped. They had no Bass, and sounded very boring.
Don't Waste your money and grab something that is more suited to your needs.post #8 of 151/12/11 at 3:07ampost #9 of 151/12/11 at 3:57am
You might be able to use the k701 with your onboard sound card. I've managed to pump out music at a decent volume with my k601 plugged directly into my laptop. However, if your sound card is bad, you'll want a DAC. The difference between a bad sound card and a decent DAC is quite noticeable. Also, the wide soundstage of the k701 makes rock sound terrible to me. For $300, I'd suggest you get a Grado, since you listen to lots of rock/metal.post #10 of 151/12/11 at 4:06ampost #11 of 151/12/11 at 4:23am
the K701's are my first audiophile HP's. im running them right out of my pc, but am ordering an e7/e9 today. at max volume it's just at listening level, and i know im missing out on all sorts of stuff. i wouldnt suggest you get them unless you're planning on getting an amp/dacpost #12 of 151/12/11 at 7:32am
A PROPER outboard DAC and amp are needed to make the 70x sound like they should. The 70x should be a part of an entire system. They work in conjunction with each other. Don't let the headphone's cost of admission fool you. The AKG can be an excellent headphone for many people when the correct system is implemented.post #13 of 151/12/11 at 7:41am
I can second this. Once you get a nice DAC and amp, the K701s are excellent cans for their price. It's a shame that many people only drive them from their soundcard and complain about the sound afterwards. A nice little budget system is the Zero DAC or Maverick Audio D1 + Little Dot I+. The Matrix M-stage also does a great job at driving the K701s.
Quote:Originally Posted by baka1969
A PROPER outboard DAC and amp are needed to make the 70x sound like they should. The 70x should be a part of an entire system. They work in conjunction with each other. Don't let the headphone's cost of admission fool you. The AKG can be an excellent headphone for many people when the correct system is implemented.post #14 of 151/12/11 at 3:22pmThread Starter
Thanks for the replies everyone. While I will look into the 701s + amp later on when I have some more cash to throw around, I went ahead and bought the AD700's last night. They should tide me over for the time being, I'm just a little worried that they'd be a considerable downgrade from my now broken K271's.post #15 of 151/14/11 at 5:06am
IF...IF you don't want to spend mega bucks adding various gadgets to your headphones ( desk amps/dacs). And considering you are a rocker. I would suggest you go for something like the Grado 225's and pos a Fiio E5 (cheap as chips) and a LOD (again chips) if you are listening via MP3 player. That way you will have a very nice set of cans that will be easy to power (even without said extras) but will sing sweeter with the low cost extras I've mentioned.
I may have missed something but is it important to have sound isolation ? If that is the case forget Grados, and the 701's for that matter. The 701's are very nice, the detail is astounding and great sound stage but not great for rock (as my friend will tell you). He loved his 701's until he heard my 225's & RS-1's and instantly said "I need this type of bass! ".
p.s no such thing as a 'noobish question'
He who is afraid to ask, is afraid to learn ;-)
- Thinking of getting K701's (noobish questions inside)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Tennmak 9 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 16 seconds ago
- › MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd... 45 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › Is there such thing as a Bluetooth headset with a virtual surround... 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 4 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 DAP 4 minutes ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 4 minutes ago
- › OPPO PM-1 by Sam 88
- › Fiil Diva Bluetooth, Noise Cancelling Headphones by Tom22
- › Noble Audio Dulce Bass UIEM by darober2
- › Mitchell & Johnson Electrostatz (GL2) Kickstarter Edition -... by barondla
- › 3.14 MR3 Music Headphones, BA Balanced Armature Headphones with 3... by Brooko
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Jackpot77
- › Philips SHP9500 by reikoshea
- › Fostex T50RP MK3 Professional Studio Headphones, Semi-Open by reikoshea
- › Super Dolphin 6BA by RedJohn456
- › HE-5LE by audiophilehe400
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...