My K271's recently fell apart and I've been looking at some cans for under $300 to replace them. The main thing I'm wondering though is if I'd notice much of a difference between the K701 and K271 since I'm mainly going to be using it to plug into my comp (onboard sound) and won't have an amp. Obviously no one can tell me for sure, but would this be a significant upgrade to someone who doesn't consider themselves an audiophile? I mean I can tell the difference between SR60's and my K271's (lol) but I'm very much a n00b still. I do listen to a lot of rock/metal however and have heard these cans may not be the best for that, though I thought my K271's still did a pretty good job with it. My last question is about the open style of the 701's - the only other open headphones I've owned were the SR60's...are the 701's about as loud as that from the perspective of someone in the same room as me?
Related Forum Threads
- k701 sound wierd at 100hr mark Last post on 1/18/12 at 12:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Razer Tiamat vs. Steelseries 7H vs. Gamecom 377? Last post on 10/17/11 at 2:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New Headphones for Orchestra? (Shure 940's?) Last post on 9/19/11 at 3:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Open-back phones for music creation at home Last post on 9/11/11 at 8:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones with super crisp vocals. Last post on 9/11/11 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
First of all I’d like to thank LZ and Lao for sending me a review sample of the LZ A2S. I'd also want to thank my friend Tamal for informing me about the LZ A2S, thanks mate! The retail price of...
Ampsandsound are an amplifier and loudspeaker builder out of Southern California. I discovered Justin Weber and team through Head-Fi, when reports of their Kenzie headphone amps appeared. Since...
Review: Cleer DJ Professional DJ Headphone I tried to post a review only to the review template, but I was unable to because the system stated I was above the maximum character count, hence...
If you are looking at the RHA-MA750, you already have done a bit of research about how they sound. So, I will get straight to my review. Sound Quality: Let me start off by saying that these...
Acknowledgment Thanks to @Tony-Hifi of HiFi headphones for making me review this desktop DAC/Amp as a favour. I love reviewing loaners, but it’s always sad to package and send them off...
Thinking of getting K701's (noobish questions inside)post #1 of 151/11/11 at 5:39pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 151/11/11 at 5:49pmpost #3 of 151/11/11 at 6:19pmThread Starterpost #4 of 151/11/11 at 10:04pmThread Starterpost #5 of 151/12/11 at 2:57ampost #6 of 151/12/11 at 3:02am
The K701's are great but in order for it to shine, you will need proper amping. If not, you shouldn't really bother like what baka is saying. Also, the AD700 lacks bass but I'm not sure whether its good for rock/metal. The K701's also leak out a lot of sound as it is an open headphones.post #7 of 151/12/11 at 3:07am
I Used my K702 unamped and without a Dac while they where getting shipped and all i can say you will get better sound out of something like Sennheiser 595 unamped then k70x unamped. They had no Bass, and sounded very boring.
Don't Waste your money and grab something that is more suited to your needs.post #8 of 151/12/11 at 3:07ampost #9 of 151/12/11 at 3:57am
You might be able to use the k701 with your onboard sound card. I've managed to pump out music at a decent volume with my k601 plugged directly into my laptop. However, if your sound card is bad, you'll want a DAC. The difference between a bad sound card and a decent DAC is quite noticeable. Also, the wide soundstage of the k701 makes rock sound terrible to me. For $300, I'd suggest you get a Grado, since you listen to lots of rock/metal.post #10 of 151/12/11 at 4:06ampost #11 of 151/12/11 at 4:23am
the K701's are my first audiophile HP's. im running them right out of my pc, but am ordering an e7/e9 today. at max volume it's just at listening level, and i know im missing out on all sorts of stuff. i wouldnt suggest you get them unless you're planning on getting an amp/dacpost #12 of 151/12/11 at 7:32am
A PROPER outboard DAC and amp are needed to make the 70x sound like they should. The 70x should be a part of an entire system. They work in conjunction with each other. Don't let the headphone's cost of admission fool you. The AKG can be an excellent headphone for many people when the correct system is implemented.post #13 of 151/12/11 at 7:41am
I can second this. Once you get a nice DAC and amp, the K701s are excellent cans for their price. It's a shame that many people only drive them from their soundcard and complain about the sound afterwards. A nice little budget system is the Zero DAC or Maverick Audio D1 + Little Dot I+. The Matrix M-stage also does a great job at driving the K701s.
Quote:Originally Posted by baka1969
A PROPER outboard DAC and amp are needed to make the 70x sound like they should. The 70x should be a part of an entire system. They work in conjunction with each other. Don't let the headphone's cost of admission fool you. The AKG can be an excellent headphone for many people when the correct system is implemented.post #14 of 151/12/11 at 3:22pmThread Starter
Thanks for the replies everyone. While I will look into the 701s + amp later on when I have some more cash to throw around, I went ahead and bought the AD700's last night. They should tide me over for the time being, I'm just a little worried that they'd be a considerable downgrade from my now broken K271's.post #15 of 151/14/11 at 5:06am
IF...IF you don't want to spend mega bucks adding various gadgets to your headphones ( desk amps/dacs). And considering you are a rocker. I would suggest you go for something like the Grado 225's and pos a Fiio E5 (cheap as chips) and a LOD (again chips) if you are listening via MP3 player. That way you will have a very nice set of cans that will be easy to power (even without said extras) but will sing sweeter with the low cost extras I've mentioned.
I may have missed something but is it important to have sound isolation ? If that is the case forget Grados, and the 701's for that matter. The 701's are very nice, the detail is astounding and great sound stage but not great for rock (as my friend will tell you). He loved his 701's until he heard my 225's & RS-1's and instantly said "I need this type of bass! ".
p.s no such thing as a 'noobish question'
He who is afraid to ask, is afraid to learn ;-)
- Thinking of getting K701's (noobish questions inside)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Best DAP for hiking? 7 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 17 seconds ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 45 seconds ago
- › Rising cost of "audiophile" equipment and important of bias/blind... 47 seconds ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 1 minute ago
- › Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA 1 minute ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 1 minute ago
- › Life after Yggdrasil? 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 2 minutes ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 3 minutes ago
- › LZ-A2S by peter123
- › ampsandsound Mogwai Single-Ended Amplifier by dmhenley
- › Cleer DJ Professional DJ Headphone by moedawg140
- › RHA MA750 by bobghosh
- › Questyle CMA600i "Current Mode Amplification" Headphone... by glassmonkey
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Talai
- › Shure SRH840 by haroldtheboss
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by MrTechAgent
- › Xiaomi Piston Colorful Starter Edition by aNtzE
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - PHANTOM SABRE by FUYU
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...