My K271's recently fell apart and I've been looking at some cans for under $300 to replace them. The main thing I'm wondering though is if I'd notice much of a difference between the K701 and K271 since I'm mainly going to be using it to plug into my comp (onboard sound) and won't have an amp. Obviously no one can tell me for sure, but would this be a significant upgrade to someone who doesn't consider themselves an audiophile? I mean I can tell the difference between SR60's and my K271's (lol) but I'm very much a n00b still. I do listen to a lot of rock/metal however and have heard these cans may not be the best for that, though I thought my K271's still did a pretty good job with it. My last question is about the open style of the 701's - the only other open headphones I've owned were the SR60's...are the 701's about as loud as that from the perspective of someone in the same room as me?
Related Forum Threads
- k701 sound wierd at 100hr mark Last post on 1/18/12 at 12:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones with super crisp vocals. Last post on 9/11/11 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
- Cases for Full Headphones Last post on 10/10/11 at 3:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K271? Last post on 11/10/11 at 5:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Same dumb question, just a different newbie Last post on 1/7/11 at 10:19am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
OVERVIEW The Effect Studio Thor Silver IEM Upgrade cable is the new flagship made from quad-braided pure UPOCC silver that has been cryo treated and put together with Cardas silver solder. The...
So, I've owned the 4.A and 4.ai as well as the ER4S and wanted to try something different. In retrospect, I almost pulled the trigger on the Noble 4, but I recall that the infamous dip with the...
These hurt my head almost right away. The good sound quality is not noticeable when my ears and head hurts. Having said that, the price is low and if you don't like them then just return them.
This will be a short review based on maybe on 12-15 hours of use. If you think that's not long enough you can skip it. I was a bit worried that this would be some cheap gimmicky toy amp because...
The short and simple of it is this is the best DAP for the price I have owned. I have used all the main stream players, (IPods, Zune, Creative Zen Player, etc) and I will never go back. Besides the...
Thinking of getting K701's (noobish questions inside)post #1 of 151/11/11 at 5:39pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 151/11/11 at 5:49pmpost #3 of 151/11/11 at 6:19pmThread Starterpost #4 of 151/11/11 at 10:04pmThread Starterpost #5 of 151/12/11 at 2:57ampost #6 of 151/12/11 at 3:02am
The K701's are great but in order for it to shine, you will need proper amping. If not, you shouldn't really bother like what baka is saying. Also, the AD700 lacks bass but I'm not sure whether its good for rock/metal. The K701's also leak out a lot of sound as it is an open headphones.post #7 of 151/12/11 at 3:07am
I Used my K702 unamped and without a Dac while they where getting shipped and all i can say you will get better sound out of something like Sennheiser 595 unamped then k70x unamped. They had no Bass, and sounded very boring.
Don't Waste your money and grab something that is more suited to your needs.post #8 of 151/12/11 at 3:07ampost #9 of 151/12/11 at 3:57am
You might be able to use the k701 with your onboard sound card. I've managed to pump out music at a decent volume with my k601 plugged directly into my laptop. However, if your sound card is bad, you'll want a DAC. The difference between a bad sound card and a decent DAC is quite noticeable. Also, the wide soundstage of the k701 makes rock sound terrible to me. For $300, I'd suggest you get a Grado, since you listen to lots of rock/metal.post #10 of 151/12/11 at 4:06ampost #11 of 151/12/11 at 4:23am
the K701's are my first audiophile HP's. im running them right out of my pc, but am ordering an e7/e9 today. at max volume it's just at listening level, and i know im missing out on all sorts of stuff. i wouldnt suggest you get them unless you're planning on getting an amp/dacpost #12 of 151/12/11 at 7:32am
A PROPER outboard DAC and amp are needed to make the 70x sound like they should. The 70x should be a part of an entire system. They work in conjunction with each other. Don't let the headphone's cost of admission fool you. The AKG can be an excellent headphone for many people when the correct system is implemented.post #13 of 151/12/11 at 7:41am
I can second this. Once you get a nice DAC and amp, the K701s are excellent cans for their price. It's a shame that many people only drive them from their soundcard and complain about the sound afterwards. A nice little budget system is the Zero DAC or Maverick Audio D1 + Little Dot I+. The Matrix M-stage also does a great job at driving the K701s.
Quote:Originally Posted by baka1969
A PROPER outboard DAC and amp are needed to make the 70x sound like they should. The 70x should be a part of an entire system. They work in conjunction with each other. Don't let the headphone's cost of admission fool you. The AKG can be an excellent headphone for many people when the correct system is implemented.post #14 of 151/12/11 at 3:22pmThread Starter
Thanks for the replies everyone. While I will look into the 701s + amp later on when I have some more cash to throw around, I went ahead and bought the AD700's last night. They should tide me over for the time being, I'm just a little worried that they'd be a considerable downgrade from my now broken K271's.post #15 of 151/14/11 at 5:06am
IF...IF you don't want to spend mega bucks adding various gadgets to your headphones ( desk amps/dacs). And considering you are a rocker. I would suggest you go for something like the Grado 225's and pos a Fiio E5 (cheap as chips) and a LOD (again chips) if you are listening via MP3 player. That way you will have a very nice set of cans that will be easy to power (even without said extras) but will sing sweeter with the low cost extras I've mentioned.
I may have missed something but is it important to have sound isolation ? If that is the case forget Grados, and the 701's for that matter. The 701's are very nice, the detail is astounding and great sound stage but not great for rock (as my friend will tell you). He loved his 701's until he heard my 225's & RS-1's and instantly said "I need this type of bass! ".
p.s no such thing as a 'noobish question'
He who is afraid to ask, is afraid to learn ;-)
- Thinking of getting K701's (noobish questions inside)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › DNA Sonett 2 15 seconds ago
- › Review: German Maestro GMP 8.35 D indestructible studio monitor... 40 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated 9/2/2013: Sony... 51 seconds ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback. 1 minute ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 2 minutes ago
- › What book are you reading right now? 2 minutes ago
- › Electrodynamic and electrostatic headphones now obsolete ? 2 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 2 minutes ago
- › The Entry Level Stax Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by lexangl
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by TThorsen
- › EB92 In-Ear MicroFit Monitors by MadMusicJunkie
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by xoriac
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Perfect Sound d901b by gelocks
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe