Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sony MDR-7506 Last post on 1/2/17 at 11:56am in Headphones (full-size)
- Good looking n good sounding headphones a myth? Last post on 3/7/16 at 1:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best over-ear headphones for $100 or less? Heres what Im looking for. Last post on 7/28/13 at 3:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which high-end for trance? Last post on 8/12/12 at 4:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Would I enjoy the Audeze-LCD-2/3? Last post on 4/21/15 at 1:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I thought about getting DFs as a present after passing driver's exams. Read those very few reviews online, which were generally a mixed back of helpfulness. Then I took the bullet and said, yes why...
I have a pair of EarTech Music Quads that I felt were worthy of a better cable. In particular I was hoping an aftermarket, high end cable would bring some missing "air" and resolution, more...
Hi, I'm new to this head-fi community and this would be my first headphone review here at head-fi. Other headphones I've owned and listened to so far would be the Sennheiser hd239, px100, rha...
These headphones are made for listening to modern extreme genres of loud brickwalled poor-quality metal. They smoothen out spikiness and make drums sound so powerful and quick as if your head was...
Greetings, We all know it's coming, whether we like it or not. The wireless wave is upon us. Pretty much every major earphone manufacturer has a wireless option, and there are countless others...
The BEST-LOOKING Headphones - Page 59
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #872 of 13183/22/14 at 11:28ampost #873 of 13183/22/14 at 11:29amQuote:
I prefer the bamboo, but yeah the LCDs are all really pretty.
Those yokes/struts worry me though. They look way too breakable, even if they are metal. :spost #874 of 13183/22/14 at 11:31amQuote:
As above, I kinda prefer the bamboo, but AUGUGHGUGH I am so close to pulling the trigger on these thiiiiiiings...post #875 of 13183/22/14 at 11:38amQuote:
Go for it!
It's the best darn HiFi investment I have ever made - haven't regretted it for a second! :-)
Sent from my GT-P6800 using Tapatalkpost #876 of 13183/22/14 at 9:11pmpost #877 of 13183/22/14 at 9:54pmpost #878 of 13183/23/14 at 5:00am
My top-6 picks (because sometimes it`s hard to choose between them):
AKG K701 (grey/white/silver/brown leather - kind of harmonious luxury/classic combination, but same time modern and pop.
Beyerdynamic T1 (Very stylish but same time laid-back design. Mesh + cutout Y`s + headband - materials/texture is all about that design)
Audeze LCD-2 (because of that headband system it gets 4th place but same time I also like that little retro-looking headband)
Shure SRH-1840 (Simple, modern and sleek design. Nothing standing out but same time little hint of "luxurious sound". Reminds me modern Maserati luxury-sports car)
Philips CityScape UpTown (Simple yet modern look with little hint of luxury)
Edit: totally forgot Shure SRH-1840 which gets honorable 5th place
Edited by CoiL - 3/23/14 at 3:10pmpost #879 of 13183/23/14 at 5:17ampost #880 of 13183/23/14 at 8:16ampost #881 of 13183/23/14 at 12:09pmpost #882 of 13183/23/14 at 1:08pmQuote:
If you honestly believe that they're the same drivers throughout the range you're so incredibly uninformed it's almost offensive. Not only are the drivers different but most of the enclosures are different as well. Very specific breeds of mahogany trees are picked for their RS-1 series and the size and dimmensions are very carefully designed.post #883 of 13183/23/14 at 1:18pmpost #884 of 13183/23/14 at 2:17pm
so many different styles mentioned, obviously looks are highly subjective and peoples personal tastes runs the gamut. I myself have a lot of different tastes when it comes to headphone design.
I notice a lot of people say that regardless of how they sound, people like some of the Beats in terms of their looks & styling. Personally I can't stand any of them - they just look cheap & tacky to me. Like they're trying too hard, and there's virtually no subtlety or maturity in their industrial design.
Sony has always been a leader in product design, one of the pioneers and all-time greats in consumer electronics. I love the classic utilitarian look of the MDR-7506, or something more modern like the MDR-1R (I own both). Many of their older designs are also gorgeous and it's crazy to look at some and then realize they were made in the early 80's, or earlier. Many of them look sleek & modern even today! One example is the DR-Z6 which was previously mentioned in this thread, but there are many others.
Sennheiser's design is a little weird - at first many of their phones did not appeal to me and some even struck me as ugly. But, I do think they put a lot of emphasis on their design and over time you grow to appreciate it. At least they're all unique, distinctive, & original. Maybe not the top of the 'best-looking' list, but I feel deserving of an honorable mention. I think my least favorite would have to be the HD800's which look like something out of Star Wars. I don't know - they just look like "too much" to me… not that they're designed for wearing outside, but I just think I would look / feel silly with those things on my head. I assume the sound is so good it doesn't matter…
I tend to like AKG's style - particularly their new pro flagship, the K812. I haven't seen one in person but they seem to have exquisite precision & detail in their build… I definitely lust after them. Their 'lifestyle' models are also quite nice - I own the K545's and really like the simple modern / minimalist style (and the sound is fantastic, as well).
Shure had the 1840's, and now the 1540's which are my current obsession w/ their carbon-weave cups & Alcantara pads… probably my next purchase.
Another utilitarian model that I love is the Fostex t50rp, (as well as the respective mod's). It's sort of retro, sort of futuristic, rugged, classic, utilitarian… and has those unique sliders that look f'ing cool. A lot of the mod's are also very nice looking.
Fostex also has the TH-600 & TH-900, which are 2 of the absolute sexiest HP's out there today. These are another one that I lust after BIG TIME…
And lastly are the Philips Fidelio X1. I remember the first time I saw them while I was just browsing around on Amazon - i immediately perked up & took notice based on their gorgeous, sexy design, and started researching their sound quality & reviews. I had them added to my wish list and I was lucky enough to be going over it one night when I noticed they had gone on sale for $149.99. I about lost my mind when I saw that - truly couldn't believe they were that low. I was lucky enough to get them and have been so happy since then. Both the sound quality is incredible, and their build, materials & looks are stunning. Pictures look fantastic but I don't think they do them justice. I hope they continue making headphones of this caliber.post #885 of 13183/23/14 at 2:22pmQuote:Originally Posted by AHorseNamedJeff
If you honestly believe that they're the same drivers throughout the range you're so incredibly uninformed it's almost offensive. Not only are the drivers different but most of the enclosures are different as well. Very specific breeds of mahogany trees are picked for their RS-1 series and the size and dimmensions are very carefully designed.
Look it up. All modern Grados use the exact same driver. The enclosure is what's different between the models.
Careful design doesn't matter nearly as much when you're using poor materials for the application.
Edited by takato14 - 3/23/14 at 2:23pm
- The BEST-LOOKING Headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2
- › ((t:h:e)) LoSt LovE baCK 91 9799592658 black magic exper molviji 7 seconds ago
- › 【≽+91=9772572547≼】=online!!!~Black maGic for love SpeciAList Baba ji 17 seconds ago
- › 【≽ᔕᕼｉᐯ ≼】91-9958802839 blaCk mAgIc SpeCIaLIsT bABa ji cape town 38 seconds ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › BlaCk MaGic【≽+91=9772572547≼】=online!!!~MuThkaRni spEciaList Baba ji 1 minute ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 1 minute ago
- › Advanced Acousticwerkes US CIEM Demo Lineup Tour - W900, W500, plus... 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 3 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-7200 4 minutes ago
- › K240 DF by asymcon
- › TWag V4 Litz ciem replacement cable by tex thai
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by Varun Shankar
- › Panasonic RP-HT460E-K by PETEBULL
- › SoundPEATS Wireless Earbuds, True Wireless Stereo Bluetooth 4.2... by B9Scrambler
- › Soundmagic E10BT by msturg29
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by msturg29
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by msturg29
- › Avantree Clari Air by msturg29
- › Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds Stereo Headphones, Ghostek Silencer... by msturg29
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear