Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sony MDR-7506 Last post on 9/17/16 at 10:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Good looking n good sounding headphones a myth? Last post on 3/7/16 at 1:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best over-ear headphones for $100 or less? Heres what Im looking for. Last post on 7/28/13 at 3:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which high-end for trance? Last post on 8/12/12 at 4:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Would I enjoy the Audeze-LCD-2/3? Last post on 4/21/15 at 1:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
This is an excellent pair of headphones, sound is very clear, and the looks are impressive. I am disappointed with the padding, hurts to wear in less then 15 minutes. Pads can be replaced though....
I've had mine for almost 5 years, still breathing and still sounds great! I've had mine short circuit for two times because and fixed it, still sounds the same. So far this is the best for me and I...
When these went on sale at massdrop I thought I was going to put one over on the man and get some really good audiophile grade headphones for $100, sadly that's not what I got when the package...
This little DAC punches way way way above its weight. I fell deep into the audiophile hole about a month ago, waiting for our 2nd son to be born. If I could be so bold, I went through a...
I love the Beyerdynamic dt770 250 Ohms. After searching high and low for a closed back headphone I fell upon these knowing that I would carry an amp. With the Cayin C5 - High gain at about 2.5...
The BEST-LOOKING Headphones - Page 59
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #872 of 13183/22/14 at 11:28ampost #873 of 13183/22/14 at 11:29amQuote:
I prefer the bamboo, but yeah the LCDs are all really pretty.
Those yokes/struts worry me though. They look way too breakable, even if they are metal. :spost #874 of 13183/22/14 at 11:31amQuote:
As above, I kinda prefer the bamboo, but AUGUGHGUGH I am so close to pulling the trigger on these thiiiiiiings...post #875 of 13183/22/14 at 11:38amQuote:
Go for it!
It's the best darn HiFi investment I have ever made - haven't regretted it for a second! :-)
Sent from my GT-P6800 using Tapatalkpost #876 of 13183/22/14 at 9:11pmpost #877 of 13183/22/14 at 9:54pmpost #878 of 13183/23/14 at 5:00am
My top-6 picks (because sometimes it`s hard to choose between them):
AKG K701 (grey/white/silver/brown leather - kind of harmonious luxury/classic combination, but same time modern and pop.
Beyerdynamic T1 (Very stylish but same time laid-back design. Mesh + cutout Y`s + headband - materials/texture is all about that design)
Audeze LCD-2 (because of that headband system it gets 4th place but same time I also like that little retro-looking headband)
Shure SRH-1840 (Simple, modern and sleek design. Nothing standing out but same time little hint of "luxurious sound". Reminds me modern Maserati luxury-sports car)
Philips CityScape UpTown (Simple yet modern look with little hint of luxury)
Edit: totally forgot Shure SRH-1840 which gets honorable 5th place
Edited by CoiL - 3/23/14 at 3:10pmpost #879 of 13183/23/14 at 5:17ampost #880 of 13183/23/14 at 8:16ampost #881 of 13183/23/14 at 12:09pmpost #882 of 13183/23/14 at 1:08pmQuote:
If you honestly believe that they're the same drivers throughout the range you're so incredibly uninformed it's almost offensive. Not only are the drivers different but most of the enclosures are different as well. Very specific breeds of mahogany trees are picked for their RS-1 series and the size and dimmensions are very carefully designed.post #883 of 13183/23/14 at 1:18pmpost #884 of 13183/23/14 at 2:17pm
so many different styles mentioned, obviously looks are highly subjective and peoples personal tastes runs the gamut. I myself have a lot of different tastes when it comes to headphone design.
I notice a lot of people say that regardless of how they sound, people like some of the Beats in terms of their looks & styling. Personally I can't stand any of them - they just look cheap & tacky to me. Like they're trying too hard, and there's virtually no subtlety or maturity in their industrial design.
Sony has always been a leader in product design, one of the pioneers and all-time greats in consumer electronics. I love the classic utilitarian look of the MDR-7506, or something more modern like the MDR-1R (I own both). Many of their older designs are also gorgeous and it's crazy to look at some and then realize they were made in the early 80's, or earlier. Many of them look sleek & modern even today! One example is the DR-Z6 which was previously mentioned in this thread, but there are many others.
Sennheiser's design is a little weird - at first many of their phones did not appeal to me and some even struck me as ugly. But, I do think they put a lot of emphasis on their design and over time you grow to appreciate it. At least they're all unique, distinctive, & original. Maybe not the top of the 'best-looking' list, but I feel deserving of an honorable mention. I think my least favorite would have to be the HD800's which look like something out of Star Wars. I don't know - they just look like "too much" to me… not that they're designed for wearing outside, but I just think I would look / feel silly with those things on my head. I assume the sound is so good it doesn't matter…
I tend to like AKG's style - particularly their new pro flagship, the K812. I haven't seen one in person but they seem to have exquisite precision & detail in their build… I definitely lust after them. Their 'lifestyle' models are also quite nice - I own the K545's and really like the simple modern / minimalist style (and the sound is fantastic, as well).
Shure had the 1840's, and now the 1540's which are my current obsession w/ their carbon-weave cups & Alcantara pads… probably my next purchase.
Another utilitarian model that I love is the Fostex t50rp, (as well as the respective mod's). It's sort of retro, sort of futuristic, rugged, classic, utilitarian… and has those unique sliders that look f'ing cool. A lot of the mod's are also very nice looking.
Fostex also has the TH-600 & TH-900, which are 2 of the absolute sexiest HP's out there today. These are another one that I lust after BIG TIME…
And lastly are the Philips Fidelio X1. I remember the first time I saw them while I was just browsing around on Amazon - i immediately perked up & took notice based on their gorgeous, sexy design, and started researching their sound quality & reviews. I had them added to my wish list and I was lucky enough to be going over it one night when I noticed they had gone on sale for $149.99. I about lost my mind when I saw that - truly couldn't believe they were that low. I was lucky enough to get them and have been so happy since then. Both the sound quality is incredible, and their build, materials & looks are stunning. Pictures look fantastic but I don't think they do them justice. I hope they continue making headphones of this caliber.post #885 of 13183/23/14 at 2:22pmQuote:Originally Posted by AHorseNamedJeff
If you honestly believe that they're the same drivers throughout the range you're so incredibly uninformed it's almost offensive. Not only are the drivers different but most of the enclosures are different as well. Very specific breeds of mahogany trees are picked for their RS-1 series and the size and dimmensions are very carefully designed.
Look it up. All modern Grados use the exact same driver. The enclosure is what's different between the models.
Careful design doesn't matter nearly as much when you're using poor materials for the application.
Edited by takato14 - 3/23/14 at 2:23pm
- The BEST-LOOKING Headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › New IEM Lineup from Earsonics. "ES2" & "ES3" 47 seconds ago
- › ORIVETI PRIMACY Triple-Driver Hybrid IEMs 2 minutes ago
- › Lots of Audio Technica headphones for sale and a few others (Prices... 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 3 minutes ago
- › Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp 3 minutes ago
- › MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd... 3 minutes ago
- › Atlas Trinity IEM's 3 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 5 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 6 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 7 minutes ago
- › HE-5LE by audiophilehe400
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Final F7200 by Takeanidea
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...