or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears 700 Appreciation Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultimate Ears 700 Appreciation Thread! - Page 2

post #16 of 63

Any heard here heard both this and the RE0? iJoker said in a post somewhere that the UE700 was underwhelming for its price.

post #17 of 63
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifu View Post

 iJoker said in a post somewhere that the UE700 was underwhelming for its price.



Well for MRSP it could be too expensive, but I've paid just a little more for the 700 than my Etymotic hf5 (which I got for a good price) so I think they are not expensive.

post #18 of 63

I recently picked up a pair of these and I really love them, though I admit they are my first mid-price iem (upgrading from a Meelec M9).  They have a very clean and even sound and fit so nicely I can hardly feel them.  They also seem to sound very good at low volume, which is good for my hearing.

 

I'm using the silicone tips (not Comply) and despite what some others have said, I don't hear much sibilance at all.

post #19 of 63

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifu View Post

Any heard here heard both this and the RE0? iJoker said in a post somewhere that the UE700 was underwhelming for its price.

 

They are not that bad really, maybe just not his taste. For <$100 it's a solid buy with great from factor. The RE0 can get boring after your honeymoon period with its treble is over, while the UE700 more balanced sound can be more satisfying for a longer time.

 

Problem is when I owned the UE700, I kept wishing if it just had a tad little bit more bass or just a little bit more refined in the highs. In the end, I sold it after few months because of that. IMO they lack one thing they do really well and memorably, though competent overall for the price.  


 

post #20 of 63

I had a chance to try ue700 on for a couple of hours. These are a little bright and good for classical music. The best part is they are light and really comfortable in my ears. I could hardly feel its existence.

post #21 of 63

 

Maybe this isn't news to anybody, but it seems they can be had now for $150.  It's strange, there are two listings on amazon, one for $200

 

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Ears-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B001NTFAOS/

 

and one for $150

 

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-985-000172-Ultimate-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B003YKG2YQ/

 

The best I can tell is that the $200 one comes with the attenuator and a different case.  Anyways, it seems they can be had new on ebay for around $100 pretty regularly, which makes them a very solid buy IMO.

 

post #22 of 63
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsmen View Post

 

Maybe this isn't news to anybody, but it seems they can be had now for $150.  It's strange, there are two listings on amazon, one for $200

 

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Ears-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B001NTFAOS/

 

and one for $150

 

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-985-000172-Ultimate-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B003YKG2YQ/

 

The best I can tell is that the $200 one comes with the attenuator and a different case.  Anyways, it seems they can be had new on ebay for around $100 pretty regularly, which makes them a very solid buy IMO.

 


Before the 700 retailed for 250 USD, and now they retail it for 150 USD. I think they also changed some of the accessories that comes with it.

post #23 of 63

Has anyone looked at the prices of all of UE's universals lately? They've all become quite cheap. I seriously think Logitech is driving the UE brand down to an every-day, walmart brand type earphone brand similar to Phillips or Sony. It's quite sad really. I miss the days of their previously available detachable, franken-bolt earphones. They were more expensive, but seemed more 'professional-grade.' Now they just seem cheap. 

post #24 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsmen View Post

 

Maybe this isn't news to anybody, but it seems they can be had now for $150.  It's strange, there are two listings on amazon, one for $200

 

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Ears-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B001NTFAOS/

 

and one for $150

 

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-985-000172-Ultimate-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B003YKG2YQ/

 

The best I can tell is that the $200 one comes with the attenuator and a different case.  Anyways, it seems they can be had new on ebay for around $100 pretty regularly, which makes them a very solid buy IMO.

 

 

I got mine from the German Logitech website for 79 EUR (around 110 $) in a so-called blemished box - which it wasn't, I couldn't find a spot on the box. The regular price on the website is 179 EUR, which is way too high IMO.

However, for around 100 $, I think the UE700 are very nice phones, although they are my first higher-class phones so I have no direct comparison.

What I do love about them are the highs and clarity (I do perceive sibilance occasionally, but don't really mind it too much) as well as a very adequate bass, which makes for a very pleasing package to my ears. Other phones may do better, but I'm sure you'd have to pay much closer to the 700's original pricetag to achieve a significant improvement. For the price I paid, I couldn't ask for more, and 'll be happy with them for quite some time except if I'm ever stupid enough to try something higher-end. these UM3 do sound tempting....

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2410 View Post

UE700 appreciation thread, noooooooo on so many levels.  please please please im not trying to be mean and say your all insane just that you might not have heard some of what else is out there.  please please do your ears a favour and try more

 

Of course, if you - or anybody else - have any dual-driver IEM alternatives in the sub-100 $ price region that you'd like to suggest, I'd be happy to stand corrected. Seriously.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach View Post

Has anyone looked at the prices of all of UE's universals lately? They've all become quite cheap. I seriously think Logitech is driving the UE brand down to an every-day, walmart brand type earphone brand similar to Phillips or Sony.


This statement is supported by the frequency with which the so-called blemished boxes are being sold, nobody even has to pay the full price any more. A couple of days ago, there was even a coupoon which reduced the price to 65 EUR (88 $)!

Looks like the remaining stock of UE 700 is being sold off to make way for a cheaper, low quality range of consumer-oriented IEMs.

 

post #25 of 63

I had the 700's last year, and when I sold them off for certain reasons, I was dying to get them back again.  Now, they come with new packaging and they actually come with different silicone tips.  The packaging is specifically Logitech packaging now, same packaging as the UE500 and 350's available at Best Buy, most unlike the all UE packaging of the earlier pair I had a year ago.  Same great IEM's though, I just wish they would have included the silicone tips from the original pair, liked those better.  

post #26 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonglee23 View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2410 View Post

UE700 appreciation thread, noooooooo on so many levels.  please please please im not trying to be mean and say your all insane just that you might not have heard some of what else is out there.  please please do your ears a favour and try more

 

Of course, if you - or anybody else - have any dual-driver IEM alternatives in the sub-100 $ price region that you'd like to suggest, I'd be happy to stand corrected. Seriously.

 


 



the Q-Jays and the Klipsch Custom 3 both smoke the UE700 (although the Q-Jays price has been creeping up of late, still worth it)

post #27 of 63


I'm not sure if they are THAT much better, but that's beyond the point as there prices don't relate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2410 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by bonglee23 View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2410 View Post

UE700 appreciation thread, noooooooo on so many levels.  please please please im not trying to be mean and say your all insane just that you might not have heard some of what else is out there.  please please do your ears a favour and try more

 

Of course, if you - or anybody else - have any dual-driver IEM alternatives in the sub-100 $ price region that you'd like to suggest, I'd be happy to stand corrected. Seriously.

 


 



the Q-Jays and the Klipsch Custom 3 both smoke the UE700 (although the Q-Jays price has been creeping up of late, still worth it)

post #28 of 63

Here is a link to an comparison of dual BA driver iems.

http://www.headfonia.com/dual-drivers-q-jays-dba-02-ue700-westone-2-sf5pro-and-jh5pro/

 

post #29 of 63

Thanks for that link, I'll have a look

post #30 of 63

Does anybody here know if I could also get a hold of a pair of UE 700's? My problem is that I live in Norway so I can't order most of the Amazon deals, neither am I allowed to order the 'Blemished Box' version from the UK Logitech website. Is my only option eBay? I don't quite like to take guesses like that on eBay and somehow I can't find any good deals there anyway. Tips? I have family in The Netherlands, so I suppose it's possible to send them there as well.

 

Edit!

 

Turns out I could order from the British promotional site anyway! I have ordered them for 69,99 GBP and we'll see how things will go!


Edited by JosvdP - 2/9/11 at 4:00pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears 700 Appreciation Thread!