I just got a brand new set of AKG K702s, and if they don't sound better by the 300 hour break in, ill probably sell them. I'm looking for a nice set of closed back headphones that sound great with new rap, old rap, old rock, new rock, then into blues and pop. I've done a lot of research, but must people post wanting new headphones, but don't have a amp. Ill be using my schiit valhalla amp. I LOVE my audio technicia ath a700s.
Related Forum Threads
- Just got my AKG K702s and Valhalla. Headphones sound like crap..... grr... Last post on 1/14/11 at 5:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- NEW! Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio Last post on 3/8/15 at 2:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best circumaural headphones at the $200 price point? Last post on 6/13/12 at 12:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Things that make you SMILE Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:36am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Disclaimer: Bhavneet from Burson Audio offered to send me the Cable+, with no return required, asking me only to post my honest evaluation of its performance when used with the Chromecast...
These headphones are much recommended online as a relatively cheap introduction into the world of high fidelity. They are functional and do not excessively grab attention visually. They are...
A very good DAC and headphone AMP for the price. A clear improvement in sound quality from my laptop for headphones, even ones that already sounded good, this gives a much cleaner,clearer and more...
This is my first really good quality Digital Audio Player. I have used a range of Audiophile headphones on it. If you're used to digital Sony Walkmans of days gone by you will recognize the simple,...
My favorite pair of headphones, and considering I own the Sennheiser HD598s, that is saying something. They look fantastic, very stylish indeed, they are extremely comfortable, infact the ear pads...
Best closed back headphones to pair with Schiit Valhalla ($300 price range)post #1 of 61/8/11 at 10:57amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 61/8/11 at 11:19am
what is it you don't like about the 70x and what do you like about the a700's.
try to give a little bit of sound preference info if possible:)post #3 of 61/8/11 at 1:14pmThread Starter
the a700's have soooooo much more bass.. and I'm not sure if its because my 702s arnt burnt in yet, but everything is subpar compared to the a700s. plus i like being sealed off from everything around me.post #4 of 61/8/11 at 1:34pm
702 are not known for their bass and aren't closed design.
2 closed design headphones that are known for their bass quantity and quality, which come to my mind:
- Denon D2000
- Beyerdynamic DT770
I have the latter one in 80 ohms version, very nice cans with good strong bass, yet acceptable overall performance. Isolate very well.post #5 of 61/8/11 at 2:54pmThread Starterpost #6 of 61/8/11 at 3:06pm
For your requirements I might suggest the Denon D2000. Some say they have bloated bass and recessed mids, but I didn't think so when I had them connected to a desktop amp (Asgard). With my amp the mids were fine and the bass was actually very well controlled. Still a bit bass heavy, but not too bad. I hate them when unamped though. They're also one of the most comfortable headphones there is.
I had the DT-770 32 ohm, but I think the only version that's said to be bass heavy is the 80 ohm version. My DT-770 was nowhere near bass heavy. I'm not 100% sure on this.
With the D2000 I've found it best to just try them out with my own ears. When I first tried them I hated them but I only had portable amps and returned the. Six months later I gave them another chance and loved them.
- Best closed back headphones to pair with Schiit Valhalla ($300 price range)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › HE-560 a good choice for me (to replace HD600)? 8 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 11 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 21 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 25 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 57 seconds ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 1 minute ago
- › Absolute best budget earbuds? 1 minute ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. 1-17-2017 Now... 1 minute ago
- › Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0 headphone amp 2 minutes ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 2 minutes ago
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Sony NWZ-A15 Walkman Video MP3 Player (16GB) - Black by theminstrel
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by theminstrel
- › Shure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black) by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 449 Headphones by theminstrel
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by FortisFlyer75
- › AXGIO Dash Wireless Earbuds Cordless Running Jogging Bluetooth... by pkshiu
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by heliosphann
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear