I just got a brand new set of AKG K702s, and if they don't sound better by the 300 hour break in, ill probably sell them. I'm looking for a nice set of closed back headphones that sound great with new rap, old rap, old rock, new rock, then into blues and pop. I've done a lot of research, but must people post wanting new headphones, but don't have a amp. Ill be using my schiit valhalla amp. I LOVE my audio technicia ath a700s.
Related Forum Threads
- Just got my AKG K702s and Valhalla. Headphones sound like crap..... grr... Last post on 1/14/11 at 5:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- NEW! Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio Last post on 9/13/14 at 12:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best circumaural headphones at the $200 price point? Last post on 6/13/12 at 12:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Things that make you SMILE Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:36am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
Thanks to Greed for a 10-day loan of his Ref 1 set, which I fully burnt-in and auditioned. This set had the uber cable. Super Brief Review (it's all just what my ears heard, if you love your Ref 1...
This review is going to be updated once I receive a balanced cable and use this amp in balanced operation. I figured this amp needed a proper review on here, and there is a lot of good stuff to say...
Read a ton of reviews before purchasing. However, I will be honest and say that I was a bit let down by the bass. Don't get me wrong, its very detailed and balanced and perhaps there lies my issue,...
Schiit Ragnarok: Is It Love, or Is It Just Schiit? Introduction: This part is just to give you some background on my experience and how I’ve arrived at the Schiit Ragnarok...
Best closed back headphones to pair with Schiit Valhalla ($300 price range)post #1 of 61/8/11 at 10:57amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 61/8/11 at 11:19am
what is it you don't like about the 70x and what do you like about the a700's.
try to give a little bit of sound preference info if possible:)post #3 of 61/8/11 at 1:14pmThread Starter
the a700's have soooooo much more bass.. and I'm not sure if its because my 702s arnt burnt in yet, but everything is subpar compared to the a700s. plus i like being sealed off from everything around me.post #4 of 61/8/11 at 1:34pm
702 are not known for their bass and aren't closed design.
2 closed design headphones that are known for their bass quantity and quality, which come to my mind:
- Denon D2000
- Beyerdynamic DT770
I have the latter one in 80 ohms version, very nice cans with good strong bass, yet acceptable overall performance. Isolate very well.post #5 of 61/8/11 at 2:54pmThread Starterpost #6 of 61/8/11 at 3:06pm
For your requirements I might suggest the Denon D2000. Some say they have bloated bass and recessed mids, but I didn't think so when I had them connected to a desktop amp (Asgard). With my amp the mids were fine and the bass was actually very well controlled. Still a bit bass heavy, but not too bad. I hate them when unamped though. They're also one of the most comfortable headphones there is.
I had the DT-770 32 ohm, but I think the only version that's said to be bass heavy is the 80 ohm version. My DT-770 was nowhere near bass heavy. I'm not 100% sure on this.
With the D2000 I've found it best to just try them out with my own ears. When I first tried them I hated them but I only had portable amps and returned the. Six months later I gave them another chance and loved them.
- Best closed back headphones to pair with Schiit Valhalla ($300 price range)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Grado Fan Club! 38 seconds ago
- › Any News from Audio Technica These days? 40 seconds ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread 44 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 52 seconds ago
- › About to buy first pair of IEMs - RHA MA750s 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere: 3 minutes ago
- › Please help me decide between ssennheiser hd600 or fidelio x1 3 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)