I just got a brand new set of AKG K702s, and if they don't sound better by the 300 hour break in, ill probably sell them. I'm looking for a nice set of closed back headphones that sound great with new rap, old rap, old rock, new rock, then into blues and pop. I've done a lot of research, but must people post wanting new headphones, but don't have a amp. Ill be using my schiit valhalla amp. I LOVE my audio technicia ath a700s.
Related Forum Threads
- Just got my AKG K702s and Valhalla. Headphones sound like crap..... grr... Last post on 1/14/11 at 5:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- NEW! Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio Last post on 3/8/15 at 2:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best circumaural headphones at the $200 price point? Last post on 6/13/12 at 12:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Things that make you SMILE Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:36am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction: The Fischer Audio Totem Paco (FE-131) is a newly released earphone from Fischer Audio. They’re small, built well and sound good. Want to know more? Read on. Below is the...
I was sent a couple of the ShareMe headphones to try recently for review purposes. The name of the company isn't one that I'm familiar with but I have seen various low priced offerings on...
The ANC-G5 active noise canceling headphones can be had from Amazon for 60 USD. How does it compare to the number one noise canceling headphones, the Bose QuietComfort QC20i? Comfort The...
Preamble: Superlux – the Chinese/Taiwanese company really doesn’t need any further instruction for anyone who is at least just a little into audio and headphones. Being in the...
Commercial brands are pretty much like IT girls: should one of them flash her bare belly in the street, the next day the whole town would follow to vast enjoyment of the «other half of mankind»,...
Best closed back headphones to pair with Schiit Valhalla ($300 price range)post #1 of 61/8/11 at 10:57amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 61/8/11 at 11:19am
what is it you don't like about the 70x and what do you like about the a700's.
try to give a little bit of sound preference info if possible:)post #3 of 61/8/11 at 1:14pmThread Starter
the a700's have soooooo much more bass.. and I'm not sure if its because my 702s arnt burnt in yet, but everything is subpar compared to the a700s. plus i like being sealed off from everything around me.post #4 of 61/8/11 at 1:34pm
702 are not known for their bass and aren't closed design.
2 closed design headphones that are known for their bass quantity and quality, which come to my mind:
- Denon D2000
- Beyerdynamic DT770
I have the latter one in 80 ohms version, very nice cans with good strong bass, yet acceptable overall performance. Isolate very well.post #5 of 61/8/11 at 2:54pmThread Starterpost #6 of 61/8/11 at 3:06pm
For your requirements I might suggest the Denon D2000. Some say they have bloated bass and recessed mids, but I didn't think so when I had them connected to a desktop amp (Asgard). With my amp the mids were fine and the bass was actually very well controlled. Still a bit bass heavy, but not too bad. I hate them when unamped though. They're also one of the most comfortable headphones there is.
I had the DT-770 32 ohm, but I think the only version that's said to be bass heavy is the 80 ohm version. My DT-770 was nowhere near bass heavy. I'm not 100% sure on this.
With the D2000 I've found it best to just try them out with my own ears. When I first tried them I hated them but I only had portable amps and returned the. Six months later I gave them another chance and loved them.
- Best closed back headphones to pair with Schiit Valhalla ($300 price range)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The Pono Player Impressions Thread 39 seconds ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 2 minutes ago
- › Blast from the Past - Post your favourites, any genre any decade 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 3 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 6 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM (Now With 'New' 1Plus2.2!) Impressions... 6 minutes ago
- › The Best audiophile tracks to test equipment 6 minutes ago
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by crabdog
- › Mixcder ShareMe Wireless Bluetooth Headphones,Built in Mic for... by iancraig10
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by pkshiu
- › Superlux HD-668 B by HiFiChris
- › Meze 99 Classics by HansBarbarossa
- › Cayin i5 by cleg
- › MrSpeakers ETHER C by Delayeed
- › Cable Matters Gold Plated Toslink Digital Optical Audio Cable with... by Gabeh765
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by Cinder
- › ZMF Headphones x Vibro MK II by Cinder
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...