don't they do the same thing? except that the E9 has line out and more power?
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 1/13/11
- productFiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 1/13/11
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by System, 1/13/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 1/13/11
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 1/13/11
Related Forum Threads
- Fiio E9(E7+E9) with D7000 Last post on 3/8/11 at 3:44pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- iBasso D12 vs. Fiio E7+E9?? Last post on 12/10/10 at 2:34pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Need DAC/Amp for HD650 + HE-500 Last post on 12/2/12 at 7:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Fiio E17 does not seem to make a difference to audio experience Last post on 6/30/12 at 8:05pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Neutral Amp/DAC?? Last post on 6/20/12 at 7:20pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
In my self-imposed haughtiness and superiority, I have always told Alfred and Martin that I will be the high-end reviewer for this blog, and that they should be responsible for more budget...
First of all, thank you so much to Ifi-Audio for sending me a black edition to review for free! Really awesome of them to involve the audio community to such a degree. I will keep this review...
I try not to be an extremist and I try to give most products I review a decent amount of hearing before making any judgments on their quality but when a product reaches with a level of quality I...
A great purchase for under 180 pounds, these headphones blow the direct competition away when it comes to almost everything. They arrive in a nice premium package with a thick, high grade cable for...
A reasonably priced pair of premium Open back headphones. They are well made and super comfortable and have a luxurious appearance well suited to home hi fi use. Unlike other hi fidelity phones...
what's the benefits of having both the Fiio E7 and E9?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 141/7/11 at 7:54pm
From what I understand, the E7 is a portable DAC/amp to be used by itself and the E9 is basically a desktop amp with line in connection but can dock the E7 so that you could utilize the DAC in the E7 while using the more powerful amp in the E9.post #3 of 141/7/11 at 9:02pmThread Starterpost #4 of 141/7/11 at 9:17pmpost #5 of 141/7/11 at 10:23pmThread Starter
i would only need the E9 if i want to power headphones that are >200ohms, is that correct?
i guess what i'm trying to figure out is to get just the E7 or E7+E9, i'll be using it mostly with my Mac desktop, Windows laptop, and iPhone, and all my headphones are under 200ohmspost #6 of 141/7/11 at 11:42pm
It's not just the impedance, some headphones that have only 50 ohms as impendance are extremely power-hungry. If you tell people what headphones you have, perhaps someone with the same headphone(s) can contribute and let you know whehter they need a desktop amp to sound good.post #7 of 141/8/11 at 12:18amThe E9 is amp only. Unless you have a line out on your devices, hooking up the E9 to a headphone jack is doing your sound quality more harm than good. The E7 (or another DAC) is essential if you don't have a decent soundcard with a line out. The E7 just happens to pair well with the E9 for obvious reasons.post #8 of 141/8/11 at 12:30ampost #9 of 141/8/11 at 3:58amThread Starterpost #10 of 141/8/11 at 4:16ampost #11 of 141/27/11 at 6:54pmpost #12 of 141/27/11 at 11:37pm
i'd go with the fiio e7 or nubert icon udac2 (slightly better i suppose), or wait for the e17 later this year..
as dscythe mentioned, none of these phones/iem need a powerful amp. so a dac/mini-amp like e7 would fit best for a computer/iphone-setup imo...and there are the ibasso's, too...
btw, if you buy new n better n bigger headphones you still could upgrade your amp section (e.g. w/ e9 (only with e7) or else)
good luck!post #13 of 141/28/11 at 8:27pm
I also have TripleFi 10's which are 32ohms but have tested up to 64.5 ohms
Tomorrow I should receive a pair of Denon AH-D2000 headphones which are 25ohms
Been looking at the E7 and E9 combo but wish there was something just as good or better that has:
Pre-out (this is optional)
Very good DAC
OP amp rollable (though not sure if I would utilize it)
Good battery life like the E7
Enough power if I decide to get some high ohm headphones
As portable as the E7
Not too crazy of a price
- what's the benefits of having both the Fiio E7 and E9?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 45 seconds ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Sony MDR-1000X 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 3 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 6 minutes ago
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player 6 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 6 minutes ago
- › USB Strikes Back! Watch out AOIP - USB/Ethernet Chain beats All... 7 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 7 minutes ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. 1-17-2017 Now... 8 minutes ago
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by bapspidoff
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Sony NWZ-A15 Walkman Video MP3 Player (16GB) - Black by theminstrel
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear