It would go like this pc/xbox/ps3>mixamp>amp. You would want a pretty nuetral amp that doesn't change the sound very much or it could destroy the dolby positioning cues.
- brandAKGtagged by System, 1/10/11
- brandAudio Technicatagged by System, 1/10/11
- brandBeyerdynamictagged by System, 1/10/11
- brandDenontagged by System, 1/10/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/10/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 1/10/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 1/10/11
- brandSonytagged by System, 1/10/11
- brandUltrasonetagged by System, 1/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- German Made Headphones Under $500 Last post on 9/17/11 at 6:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Bought HD598, was dissapointed BUT... (updated impression after 5-10h~ish of use) Last post on 6/23/12 at 8:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Most engaging headphones Last post on 7/22/10 at 8:23am in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice Requested - Closed back headphones for 8-11 hour sessions of classical / opera via ipod Last post on 9/2/11 at 7:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- best sounding headphone speakers for replacements. Last post on 5/30/13 at 9:27am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift GuideLast edited: 12/7/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)Last edited: 7/29/13
First I’d like to thank HiFiMAN for sending me their new HM-700 DAP and RE-400B (balanced version of the RE-400) bundle for me to review. I have always wondered about the balanced players that...
Foreword Chinese/HK headphone manufacturer Astrotec is known for its value-priced products (beginning with their lauded AM90), and they've stuck to their guns by pricing the AX35 (and its near...
When I bought these headphones about 2 months ago, I didn't expect much and I bought them without trying them out. It was an impulse buy to be honest, they were on a considerable discount and I...
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
Best headphone for gaming with Poll! ~Vote! - Page 6
Poll Results: Best headphones for gaming sub $400.
82 Total Votespost #76 of 891/15/11 at 12:21am
10% (9)Beyerdynamic DT 990
17% (14)Beyerdynamic DT 880
3% (3)Beyerdynamic DT 770
8% (7)Sennheiser HD 650
1% (1)Sennheiser HD 600
7% (6)Sennheiser HD 595
1% (1)Sennheiser HD 555
0% (0)Ultrasone 2500 Pro
0% (0)Ultrasone HFI-750
2% (2)Audio Technica ATH-AD900
0% (0)Audio-Technica ATH-A500
12% (10)Keep my Audio Technica ATH-AD700
1% (1)Audio Technica ATH-M50
4% (4)AKG K701
10% (9)AKG K702
4% (4)Sony MDR-F1
6% (5)Denon AH-D2000
7% (6)Other-Please Specify in thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #77 of 891/15/11 at 12:55am
Right now probably either HD595s, DT880s, or something to that effect. So in other words, the Mixamp basically functions as a DAC/Amp on its own, albeit a somewhat weak one?Quote:
post #78 of 891/15/11 at 1:06am
Mixamp can handle those, just get the 32 ohm if you go with the DT 880. Technically you can drive the 600 ohms at the expense of voice chat by turning the voice knob all the way to game. This may be a less than ideal solution, but then again so is using the headphone jack out to an external amplifier. I wouldn't buy an amp if you don't already have one for the purpose of gaming, but if you have one or plan to buy one for music it can be used with the Mixamp.post #79 of 891/15/11 at 1:14am
It won't be used solely for gaming, so I was thinking of getting a regular amp/DAC for normal use. Unless a sound card would work better, but right now I'm just confused as all heck as far as DAC/Amp/Soundcards.
Quote:Originally Posted by Riku540
Mixamp can handle those, just get the 32 ohm if you go with the DT 880. Technically you can drive the 600 ohms at the expense of voice chat by turning the voice knob all the way to game. This may be a less than ideal solution, but then again so is using the headphone jack out to an external amplifier. I wouldn't buy an amp if you don't already have one for the purpose of gaming, but if you have one or plan to buy one for music it can be used with the Mixamp.post #80 of 891/15/11 at 3:00am
I'm going to have to play around some more with my cans. I've been gaming with some hfi-2200 and have been getting pretty decent results but I've only been using them with yamaha's virtual surround dsp. I've never seriously sat down and analyzed them. I also have a pair of MP Sextetts that I've never gamed with but will give them a shot once I get home in a few days. I'm also planning on replacing my yamaha receiver with a harman so I'll finally be able to try dolby headphone in gaming. So far I've tried sony's and yamaha's virtual surround DSPs and I got better results with the yamaha.post #81 of 891/15/11 at 8:11amQuote:Originally Posted by tdockweiler
I got it from a company online called "Best-Tronics". The part # was "MIC14-XX". Cable was $25 plus $5 shipping. Not bad. Right now I'm pretty impressed with it for only costing $25. Sounds like they're similar to Monoprice and sells budget cables.
I got it here:
I hope it's ok to post that. I don't work or have any connection to them!
The connector I got is actually better than the one in the picture, but a bit larger/heavier, but still good.
In what aspects it is affecting the sound? A-B comparision that you wanna share?
Thanks!post #82 of 891/15/11 at 12:46pm
In what aspects it is affecting the sound? A-B comparision that you wanna share?
I'd like to think it's my imagination, but it's definitely not. I haven't done more than an hour of comparisons, but the cable is such a noticeable improvement that I don't have any interest in using the old cable anymore. I still think the differences are not very subtle. Not huge differences, but enough for almost anyone here to tell the difference. Like maybe a 5-10% difference, but it's hard to say. Good enough to justify a $30 purchase! I liked the differences so much last night that I ended up listening to my K702 for nearly 5 hours!
The first thing I noticed was how much more detail there was. Not a lot, but the detail it had seemed to be a tad easier to hear and very slightly more forward sounding (I think that'd be impossible, but that's what my ears heard!). Still not like using the K601 and ATH-AD2000, but now more acceptable for gaming. Previously it felt like for gaming all the detail and vocals were a bit distant and this kind of ruined the experience for me. I have no clue how on earth a cable could change this. I still don't prefer the K702 over the ATH-AD2000 but the K702 is now perfectly acceptable for gaming. That little extra bit of detail helps a lot. I should do a footsteps test between the two. For that the difference is probably very, very subtle or not even noticeable at all.
The sound seems slightly more clear. It feels as if there is slightly more bass, but that's probably just my imagination there, but I'd have to do more testing.
Basically it's very, very difficult to put into words the differences between the cables. Again, not a super huge difference, but definitely very noticeable. I'm going to do more comparisons for myself tonight. It's really not worth it for me since the cable is so cheap and I like all the improvements. Feels like my headphone got a slight upgrade for very little money.post #83 of 891/17/11 at 12:44pm
Well I've decided to try and sell my m50 while the prices are high on them and use that money to finance a mixamp. Then after I start my new job next week I will start saving for the k70x's to give them a shot.post #84 of 891/17/11 at 1:56pmpost #85 of 891/17/11 at 1:56pm
a lot of votes for the DT880, personally i think they're pretty terrible.... at least competitively.... but if you decide on getting them, I'll sell you mine... or my F1... or my k702.... i picked up the PC360 headset from sennheiser, and while it's not the absolute best, it's convenient and has the mic built in... i love it.
my vote went for the F1, K702 comes close, but to properly drive it, you're probably above $400 budget.post #86 of 891/17/11 at 1:58pm
Yeah, but MLE suggests they're properly driven when the dial is turned all the way to game and no microphone is used. When you add the microphone however, they become useless.post #87 of 8910/23/11 at 6:11pmpost #88 of 8910/23/11 at 6:18pmpost #89 of 8910/23/11 at 6:21pmQuote:
Mixamp was designed for console gaming
if u have the forte, your good to go for PC
- Best headphone for gaming with Poll! ~Vote!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Appreciation Thread 3 seconds ago
- › [Review] NVX XPT100, A direct Brainwavz HM5 competitor 13 seconds ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 39 seconds ago
- › = HIFIMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread (pre-orders up!) = 1 minute ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 1 minute ago
- › AURALiC owners unite! 1 minute ago
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 1 minute ago
- › Recommendations for a $1000 portable rig 3 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 4 minutes ago
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob