Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening. - Page 197

post #2941 of 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerdemon555 View Post
 

Has a lot of progress been made on improving battery life in the last month or so? My current build is a daily build from mid-January.

 

I see, I thought you were referring to the build from emcore r859 itself, which is from January 2011 I believe. But no, there's no improvement in battery life for the last few months.

post #2942 of 3209

I am a aspiring audiophile and own a 7th gen 160gb iPod classic. I want to install Rockbox and get a portable AMP/DAC (like a C5D) and get the highest possible quality to start my new hobby off. I do have a few questions...

 

1. I understand that a rockboxed iPod will add a 24/96 file, but will it play it back at 24bit or down sample it to 16bit?

2. I was surprised to read that you can not bypass the iPods internal DAC with a external one, but can you after you install Rockbox? I would like to know if it would be a waste to get the C5D instead of the C5.

 

Thanks and sorry for any newbie questions!

post #2943 of 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdepaauw View Post
 

I am a aspiring audiophile and own a 7th gen 160gb iPod classic. I want to install Rockbox and get a portable AMP/DAC (like a C5D) and get the highest possible quality to start my new hobby off. I do have a few questions...

 

1. I understand that a rockboxed iPod will add a 24/96 file, but will it play it back at 24bit or down sample it to 16bit?

2. I was surprised to read that you can not bypass the iPods internal DAC with a external one, but can you after you install Rockbox? I would like to know if it would be a waste to get the C5D instead of the C5.

 

Thanks and sorry for any newbie questions!

 

Rockbox ipods can't send out digital signal unfortunately (yeah I'm bummed too). Just get a good external amp and use a 30-pin to 3.5mm adapter. Yes you can in fact hear the difference compared to headphone out. 

post #2944 of 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE View Post
 

 

Rockbox ipods can't send out digital signal unfortunately (yeah I'm bummed too). Just get a good external amp and use a 30-pin to 3.5mm adapter. Yes you can in fact hear the difference compared to headphone out.

Thanks Blackened, I guess I can save money on the DAC.

post #2945 of 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdepaauw View Post
 

Thanks Blackened, I guess I can save money on the DAC.

 

I love my C5 with my Rockbox'd iPod.  The C5D is a good option IF you can use the DAC connected to a PC or laptop (or compatible Android or iPhone; YMMV with that).

post #2946 of 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

I love my C5 with my Rockbox'd iPod.  The C5D is a good option IF you can use the DAC connected to a PC or laptop (or compatible Android or iPhone; YMMV with that).

Yep, looks like the C5 will be my choice with a Sennheiser HD 600.

 

Rockbox installed, transferring my files now :D

post #2947 of 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

I love my C5 with my Rockbox'd iPod.  The C5D is a good option IF you can use the DAC connected to a PC or laptop (or compatible Android or iPhone; YMMV with that).

 

+1 on this, though I do have the C5D which I use with my computer as well. Total bliss, especially the bass boost for cans that need it :)

post #2948 of 3209

Hey guys,

 

So i currently have access to my families windows 8 computer. It seems that alot of you guys had trouble rockboxing your class off of a windows 8 computer, is this still the case? ALso: My ipod classic is formatted to work with my macbook. Do I need to reformat to work with windows to rockbox it? because if so i'm just not going to rockbox it. seeing that all my music is on my macbook....

 

 

I was about to rockbox it but then I started picking through all these posts and I realized that rockboxing is alot more volatile/not nearly as easy as jailbreaking. Seems like alot of stuff can go wrong, and does! Not only that but I personally think the aesthetic of the rockbox is pretty ugly...I just want it for the EQ options. But. If anyone can answer my questions that would be awesome! Thanks guys. 

 

 

 

Nate

post #2949 of 3209

i recommend you backup your data first since rockbox will likely reformat your drive to use fat instead hfs...as far as windows 8 goes you'd likely get better results with 7 and earlier versions

post #2950 of 3209

what's FAT and HFS? 

post #2951 of 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvins View Post
 

what's FAT and HFS? 

 

Types of file systems.  FAT is really old school Windows type, HFS is Apple.

post #2952 of 3209

ahh I see. So if I rock box my classic then will I be able to still put music on it using my mac? or no....

 

and so I COULD potentially use a windows 8 computer to rock box it but the chances of that are slim? Because as of right now I don't know how I would gain access to a computer that was 7 or below. 

 

thanks for answering my questions guys. 

post #2953 of 3209

should I downgrade my families computer, rock box my iPod, and then put 8 back on it?

post #2954 of 3209
Does anyone professionally install rock box for the computer illiterate.[
post #2955 of 3209
?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.