Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening. - Page 169

post #2521 of 3138

New to Rockbox and trying to install EmCore.  I successfully get to a DFU drive on my 160gb 6G IPOD, but when I try to run "bootstrap_ipodclassic_itunes.exe" I get an error message, actually 2 error messages:

 

1) Create file: Error 3: The system can not find the path specified.

 

2) Error: Could not open DFU device.

 

Any advise?

 

Mark

post #2522 of 3138
Do you have iTunes installed?

Did you remember to kill the 2 services related to iTunes before running bootstrap?
post #2523 of 3138

Is it possible to swap out this (even with lossless music) large disc drive for a smaller flash drive and still be able to run rockbox?

post #2524 of 3138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted Andreas View Post

Do you have iTunes installed?

Did you remember to kill the 2 services related to iTunes before running bootstrap?


Yes I tunes was installed and closed, but I could only find one of the two services listed and that was killed.

 

The service I could not find in the task manager was the "AppleMobileDeviceService.exe"  Nothing even remotely similar to this was open.

 

I killed the "iTunesHelper.exe" service.

 

The file bootstrap_ipodclassic_itunes.exe was saved to the desktop.  Once I had the DFU drive showing up, I got the errors listed when I clicked on the saved file.  Do you have to save this file to a specific location on the C-drive?

 

Everything else seemed to go OK per the EmCORE instructions until I hit these errors, I have tried to reboot the computer, restored the IPOD and done the process from scratch, but no change in the error message.

 

Unfortunately the only other computer I have is Windows 8, or I would try on another computer.  May have to barrow a friends to give that a try.

 

Any other suggestions?

post #2525 of 3138
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7mark View Post


Yes I tunes was installed and closed, but I could only find one of the two services listed and that was killed.

 

The service I could not find in the task manager was the "AppleMobileDeviceService.exe"  Nothing even remotely similar to this was open.

 

I killed the "iTunesHelper.exe" service.

 

The file bootstrap_ipodclassic_itunes.exe was saved to the desktop.  Once I had the DFU drive showing up, I got the errors listed when I clicked on the saved file.  Do you have to save this file to a specific location on the C-drive?

 

Everything else seemed to go OK per the EmCORE instructions until I hit these errors, I have tried to reboot the computer, restored the IPOD and done the process from scratch, but no change in the error message.

 

Unfortunately the only other computer I have is Windows 8, or I would try on another computer.  May have to barrow a friends to give that a try.

 

Any other suggestions?

 

I have Windows 8 as well and it worked just fine for me.

 

For me one of the services was called MobileDeviceService instead of "AppleMobileDeviceService".

 

After I killed that and iTunesHelper everything worked fine.

 

Also, I'll just leave this here:

 

 

Quote:
Bootstrap isn’t recognizing my Classic in DFU Mode!
Make sure that the processes belonging to iTunes are killed if you have that installed. And temporarily disable your antivirus as it may prevent the bootstrap from being fully executed. Make sure that you’re using a decent cable and that you’re connecting it to one of the USB 2.0 ports directly on the motherboard. Connecting it via USB hubs or splitters usually does not work. Also see the steps from the previous question/answer.

Edited by Lifted Andreas - 6/19/13 at 3:44am
post #2526 of 3138

Thanks Lifted Andreas,

I will check for the alternative service you mentioned.

 

My antivirus was also shut down.

 

I did not try it on my Windows 8 machine because EmCore did not have that listed as an option, but if it does not work with my wifes windows 7 Dell tonight, that will be my next try.

 

I truly appreciate this guide and the forum support.  I will tell you how it goes later today.

 

Mark

post #2527 of 3138
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7mark View Post

Thanks Lifted Andreas,

I will check for the alternative service you mentioned.

 

My antivirus was also shut down.

 

I did not try it on my Windows 8 machine because EmCore did not have that listed as an option, but if it does not work with my wifes windows 7 Dell tonight, that will be my next try.

 

I truly appreciate this guide and the forum support.  I will tell you how it goes later today.

 

Mark

 

No worries mate, good luck with it!

 

It worked on my Windows 8 64bit so I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.

post #2528 of 3138
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonHD View Post

Hello again fellow rockboxerers(?!) :) I am very happy with my Rockboxed 80gb 6th gen but i have one question:

 

I want to upgrade the hard drive to a 120gb one. Do i have to recover the iPod using itunes BEFORE i change the hard drive, or after the change is fine?

 

Doesn't really matter. When you've swapped the drive, Emcore will notice that there's no .rockbox-directory on your new hard drive, and it will launch the backup image. From there you can connect via USB to your PC and copy a newer/desired Rockbox build, and of course your music ;-)

 

However, to be sure that your new hard drive works properly with Rockbox, at first boot choose 'reformat data partition' in the 'Tools' section of the Emcore menu. That way you're 100% sure that your new hdd is formatted the way Rockbox likes it.

post #2529 of 3138
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7mark View Post


Yes I tunes was installed and closed, but I could only find one of the two services listed and that was killed.

 

In Task Manager click "Show processes from all users"

post #2530 of 3138
Quote:
Originally Posted by r100 View Post

 

Doesn't really matter. When you've swapped the drive, Emcore will notice that there's no .rockbox-directory on your new hard drive, and it will launch the backup image. From there you can connect via USB to your PC and copy a newer/desired Rockbox build, and of course your music ;-)

 

However, to be sure that your new hard drive works properly with Rockbox, at first boot choose 'reformat data partition' in the 'Tools' section of the Emcore menu. That way you're 100% sure that your new hdd is formatted the way Rockbox likes it.

Thanks for the very complete info. I will be swapping the hard drive later this week and let's hope everything goes as planed. :)

post #2531 of 3138
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

^ You are welcome.

 

Credit where credit is due: Aroldan produced that build. Thanks again!

 

Thanks cooperpwc for 'promoting' the 120802 version - it feels snappier and more stable than the daily builds :)

post #2532 of 3138
Anyone here done an iFlash mod on their Classic? Does Rockbox work well with it?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/643307/ipod-classic-hdd-to-sd-cf-conversion-tarkan-akdam-iflash-mkii
post #2533 of 3138
Yes, no issues in using CF cards with the rockboxed classic. Of course, some cards will not be suitable, but this is a hardware limitation (i.e. does not matter if you run rockbox or the original apple os)
post #2534 of 3138
Quote:
Originally Posted by axismundi View Post

Yes, no issues in using CF cards with the rockboxed classic. Of course, some cards will not be suitable, but this is a hardware limitation (i.e. does not matter if you run rockbox or the original apple os)

Ok thanks mate.

I've been talking with Tarkan (they guy who designed the iFlash), he said that it should work fine with my SanDisk SDXC 64GB.

So I've ordered his iFlash + SD adapter bundle for £22 and I shall do my conversion next week! Well excited to give a new lease of life to my iPod Classic.
post #2535 of 3138
Quote:
Originally Posted by boris2005 View Post

Is here anyone try to use Rockbox with CF->SD converter?
i have try the converter can use in iPod Video with Stock Rom and Rockbox,
It also work on iPod Classic Stock rom and emcore r867(In 859 can't install by emcore installer), but when i boot into the Rockbox in rockbox, it will Kernel Panic at ATA Error 80000000. But it can read the Rockbox system file and version in emcore boot up.
Is the emcore bug or rockbox bug?

Getting an ATA error here as well after installing iFlash SD.

Anyone find a solution yet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.