Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening. - Page 143

post #2131 of 3120

having trouble installing on my 6.5th Gen 120GB Classic w/ Win8 Pro.  i've tried everything in the FAQ, but bootstrap keeps giving errors: cannot open DFU device

 

1. itunes closed and apple services stopped: apple mobile device, bonjour service, ipod service, intuneshelper (disabled from startup)

2. using OEM apple USB cord - plugged directly into mobo

3. windows defender: real-time protection turned off

 

not sure what i'm doing wrong.  any suggestions? TIA

post #2132 of 3120

Just throwing in my two cents on the emCORE install process:

 

I have a iPod Classic 6th Gen 160GB.

 

When I followed the instructions on the freemyipod.org wiki, the emCORE console on the iPod would read something like: PANIC Data abort at...

 

I just started going down the list of emCORE releases (skipping r855) and ended getting it all working with the release: emCORE r692 (2011-04-06)

 

So if that PANIC message shows up when trying to do the install, this might help. It worked for me.

post #2133 of 3120

Got everything running with the RE868 and latest 130110 build. Runs great and loving the fact I can listen to my library without needing to convert everything to ALAC. Didn't need to do anything extra with Windows 8 either.

post #2134 of 3120

Everything working fine on my 7th gen, but charging seems a bit weird. It charges fine when plugged into my computer's USB, and it even worked on my dad's car power converter thing with a USB in it. But it doesn't work directly plugged into the wall, either with my old USB phone charger or the official Apple one (the smaller cubeish one, the newer model). This is all with a legitimate Apple cable. What could be the problem? It's not the end of the world but I want to fix it eventually.

post #2135 of 3120

got the drivers installed on windows 8, but now i'm getting the error below:

 

 

 

i get this error after loading the UBI file (r867 from here: http://builds.freemyipod.org/). when i try to boot rockbox to install the “rockbox-ipodclassic.zip” file i get this error.

i'm also using an iFlash MKII adapter w/ an SDXC card.  could this be the problem?

 

post #2136 of 3120
Subscribing!
post #2137 of 3120

just installed the rockbox on my faulty ipod classic, and it works! Thanks for making it happen!

post #2138 of 3120

ONce you've got Rockbox on your ipod, do you no longer use Itunes to add new music?

post #2139 of 3120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor991 View Post

Everything working fine on my 7th gen, but charging seems a bit weird. It charges fine when plugged into my computer's USB, and it even worked on my dad's car power converter thing with a USB in it. But it doesn't work directly plugged into the wall, either with my old USB phone charger or the official Apple one (the smaller cubeish one, the newer model). This is all with a legitimate Apple cable. What could be the problem? It's not the end of the world but I want to fix it eventually.


it does charge when plugged into the wall, however the ipod just won't show a charging icon/screen or the USB plug screen while it's plugged into the wall.. afaik, if you unlock the device and press a button while plugged into the wall, it will show you the usb plug screen (and won't let you go to the menus since you are stuck in the usb screen)

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsupremous View Post

ONce you've got Rockbox on your ipod, do you no longer use Itunes to add new music?

 

the device becomes a USB storage device (Windows only I believe, as it uses some USB protocol not compatible with Mac OS/X), so you just copy music files to it in any folder, and then initialize the database in rockbox to browse files by mp3 tags, or just browse the file folders to select songs to play


Edited by ShenaRingo326 - 2/9/13 at 7:29am
post #2140 of 3120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenaRingo326 View Post

the device becomes a USB storage device (Windows only I believe, as it uses some USB protocol not compatible with Mac OS/X), so you just copy music files to it in any folder, and then initialize the database in rockbox to browse files by mp3 tags, or just browse the file folders to select songs to play

 

Thanks for answering my doubt also. is the first time using a rockbox. 

i have to say is that the guide at the wiki site is very good and easy to follow.

 

 

By any chance does any one experience issue on the language display? My version can seems to display chinese and korea character.


Edited by Ronald Lee - 2/9/13 at 8:13am
post #2141 of 3120

i think i had to pick a slightly larger font size to see all chinese/jp chars properly.. also i think i am using a utf-8 theme
 

post #2142 of 3120

Thanks Shena!

 

Now, my computer won't recognize it anymore. The same computer that I used and have since to install and use Rockbox, same USB port even. Last night it wouldn't even charge from it but now it shows the USB connected indication, but nothing happens on the computer. Stopped iTunesHelper, Bonjour, and Apple Mobile Device Service.

post #2143 of 3120

i've tried UBI files r867-r859, r708, r692, and r674 - same result as above.  can't seem to get past this stage in the install.  any thoughts?

post #2144 of 3120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1ver View Post

i've tried UBI files r867-r859, r708, r692, and r674 - same result as above.  can't seem to get past this stage in the install.  any thoughts?

hmmm, wish i can help, but my knowledge on these are still noob. sorry frown.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenaRingo326 View Post

i think i had to pick a slightly larger font size to see all chinese/jp chars properly.. also i think i am using a utf-8 theme
 

found a theme that have unicode, but not sure how to install it, still finding my way out.

post #2145 of 3120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1ver View Post

i'm also using an iFlash MKII adapter w/ an SDXC card.  could this be the problem?

 

I'm inclined to say yes to that one. More people in this topic running windows 8 and doing the procedure without any problems whatsoever. Also, since you are getting an ATA error on the Ipod, it seems like something can't be read/written to or from disk. So you might be SOL on your ipod running Rockbox i'm afraid. Perhaps you can contact the Emcore people to see if they have any thoughts - maybe something that's easily fixable for them? (although i doubt it, kinda hard testing things like this for em i guess)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.