Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening. - Page 132

post #1966 of 3249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ony38 View Post

Someone try a VenturCraft Go Dap-X with an Ipod classic with rockbox?

 

Thks

 

The internal DAC will not work with Rockbox. None of the iAP devices (CLAS, Fostex, Wadia etc.) do. 

post #1967 of 3249
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

 

The internal DAC will not work with Rockbox. None of the iAP devices (CLAS, Fostex, Wadia etc.) do. 

i'm a little confused.  LOD cables work with Rockbox and i've read about users hooking up portable amps, like the leckerton UHA-6S. 

 

but how come Rockbox won't work with the iAP devices mentioned?  my 2nd Gen Classic was made in 2008 and has USB audio output through the LOD.  would installing Rockbox eliminate this function?

post #1968 of 3249
iAP communication requires accessing an authentication chip in the iPod. The iPod then enters USB communication with the iAP device while still being able to function as an audio player. Rockbox cannot enter that dual mode. As soon as you plug a Rockboxed iPod into an iAP device like the CLAS, the iPod goes into USB communication mode and the player no longer functions.
post #1969 of 3249
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post

I'm one of those guys, I didn't really see a difference

 

 

Well, I never used my iPod without RB so I can't say if the sound is different from stock to RB. I've been through some of alroldan's builds since I got my iPod, always updating to the lastest build as soon as it was released and I never heard any sonic differences between them...

post #1970 of 3249

I can tell of a HUGE difference I got using the bass-amp of rockbox with the speakers and the radio of my old car. Sounds quite nice if I don't turn it too loud :)
 

post #1971 of 3249

I just noticed there's a new RB build at aroldan's Dropbox: "rockbox-with-patches-95f56f4M-121229.zip"

 

Anyone tried this version yet?

 

 

aroldan, care to explain what's new with this "with patches" build?

post #1972 of 3249

newbie here....i read the entire 132 pages. i do not have an MP3 player yet.  should i get the old ipod classic gen 5.5 or the new classic 7th....or something else ? basically whats the best way to go for someone just starting out ?

post #1973 of 3249
Quote:
Originally Posted by papazoid View Post

newbie here....i read the entire 132 pages. i do not have an MP3 player yet.  should i get the old ipod classic gen 5.5 or the new classic 7th....or something else ? basically whats the best way to go for someone just starting out ?

you can go ahead and grab a brand new 7th gen ipod classic and throw rockbox on it

post #1974 of 3249
Quote:
Originally Posted by papazoid View Post

newbie here....i read the entire 132 pages. i do not have an MP3 player yet.  should i get the old ipod classic gen 5.5 or the new classic 7th....or something else ? basically whats the best way to go for someone just starting out ?

Rockbox is easier to put on a 5.5G....but there's something to be said for having a new player, too. I love my 5.5 though....

post #1975 of 3249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

Rockbox is easier to put on a 5.5G....but there's something to be said for having a new player, too. I love my 5.5 though....

Although this may be true and idk because this was my first time doing it, i did it for the first time with the 7g and it was very very simple.

post #1976 of 3249
Quote:
Originally Posted by papazoid View Post

newbie here....i read the entire 132 pages. i do not have an MP3 player yet.  should i get the old ipod classic gen 5.5 or the new classic 7th....or something else ? basically whats the best way to go for someone just starting out ?

 

Wow that's a accomplishment reading the entire 132 pages !

 

If you do not have an dap, you should try the amazing 5.5g with a decent pair of iem's or headphone (synergy is far more important than any single component in my opinion). Make sure rockbox it and play your music with 320kbps or better yet the FLAC digital feed. You can get a used 5.5g in decent condition from sellers off Craiglist or eBay. I have been scratching my head why the hell the decade old 5.5g still sounds better than some of the new and much more expensive daps. Maybe there is something wrong with my ears. Sound aside, the ipod video's are probably the sexiest daps ( forget about the ugly 7g bitch) with the best interface on earth. Even worse, you have so many options to upgrade the 5.5g. Warn you the 5.5g's can be addictive. LOL.

 

Dude don't let the huge info at HF confuse you. There are lots of hype around and eventually just trust your ears . Remember at end of the day, it's the music that sounds better than the gear. wink_face.gif.

post #1977 of 3249
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1ver View Post

i'm a little confused.  LOD cables work with Rockbox and i've read about users hooking up portable amps, like the leckerton UHA-6S. 

 

but how come Rockbox won't work with the iAP devices mentioned?  my 2nd Gen Classic was made in 2008 and has USB audio output through the LOD.  would installing Rockbox eliminate this function?

 

You can use the analog out, but digital audio out on all Apple accessories is encrypted and cannot be used without knowing Apple's private encryption keys. As far as I know no one has ever discovered one.  

post #1978 of 3249
Quote:
Originally Posted by papazoid View Post

newbie here....i read the entire 132 pages. i do not have an MP3 player yet.  should i get the old ipod classic gen 5.5 or the new classic 7th....or something else ? basically whats the best way to go for someone just starting out ?

 

The 5G port is more stable (basically everything works), but 5G players these days are quite old. If you find one it will likely need to have its battery replaced sooner or later.  I'd probably go with a newer 6G if you just want audio playback.  The 6G is also nice in that it doesn't have the bass roll off problem the 5G has with low impedance headphones.  

post #1979 of 3249
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

iAP communication requires accessing an authentication chip in the iPod. The iPod then enters USB communication with the iAP device while still being able to function as an audio player. Rockbox cannot enter that dual mode. As soon as you plug a Rockboxed iPod into an iAP device like the CLAS, the iPod goes into USB communication mode and the player no longer functions.

 

ah, i see.  thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post

 

You can use the analog out, but digital audio out on all Apple accessories is encrypted and cannot be used without knowing Apple's private encryption keys. As far as I know no one has ever discovered one.  

 

if you use the headphone/analog out, doesn't it route the signal through the ipod's internal DAC first?  unless, of course, you do the ipodmod with capacitors.  

post #1980 of 3249

Before I do this, had problems with this before so sold iPod picked up Clip+/Zip. Sold them off and now back to iPod. Is there any/much difference between ALAC and FLAC? Trust it can be used with the E6 and my future upgrade E17 through a LOD?

 

Mark~

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.