Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening. - Page 128

post #1906 of 3101
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay View Post

Yes i did ... 

 

The following setp is were i am stuck.. 

The iPod will show an apple logo after about 5 seconds, keep holding the buttons until it seems to turn off completely The display of your iPod should now stay black, and a new USB device called "Apple Recovery (DFU) USB Driver" should connect to your PC.

 

There is no new USB device seen.. 

 

The explanation is not clear in that step; there is no new USB device to be seen until you execute the bootstrap. Before that, there is the installation of the DFU driver, but no visible mount.

So like the others said, check if the antivirus is preventing something, re-run the manual and kill the mentioned Apple processes. If you then execute bootstrap.exe there might still be an error message, but you probably will get access to the 64MB sized disk.


Edited by r100 - 12/12/12 at 1:52am
post #1907 of 3101

which build is currently stable (less battery drain problems) and compatible cross platform (Windows, Mac, Linux) ? 

post #1908 of 3101

 Go here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5xbw6cp4ikfxwn/MjELjmDNJ_

 

From 120802 thru 121124 (# represents the date of the build) are all stable with little tweeks between them.

post #1909 of 3101

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I currently running the cabbie classic theme and would like to change the color of the icons(battery display,shuffle etc.) on the WPS. I tryed the theme settings but was only able to change backround and line colors. Is it possible to do?   

post #1910 of 3101

I think my ipod classic turned into a brick.

 

Can't reset, didn't respond when plugging in using usb to computer (tried different computer and cable). I installed the latest version of rockbox using the utility downloaded.

 

Any suggestion on how I should do to revive it?

post #1911 of 3101
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnholy View Post

I think my ipod classic turned into a brick.

 

Can't reset, didn't respond when plugging in using usb to computer (tried different computer and cable). I installed the latest version of rockbox using the utility downloaded.

 

Any suggestion on how I should do to revive it?

 

 

Utility to install Rockbox?!? You used a Rockbox installer? Is your iPod a 7th Gen 160GB Classic?

post #1912 of 3101

yes, ipod classic latest one 160gb. Previously using the instructions given on the first page. but then i realize there are updated versions on rockbox.org. That's why i downloaded it and follow the utility to install the latest one. Everything works fine until i think few days after, when i plug in to charge the ipod and transfer a song or two, and after a while i noticed the ipod itself grew hot. That's when i realize that it doesn't respond anymore.

post #1913 of 3101
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnholy View Post

yes, ipod classic latest one 160gb. Previously using the instructions given on the first page. but then i realize there are updated versions on rockbox.org. That's why i downloaded it and follow the utility to install the latest one. Everything works fine until i think few days after, when i plug in to charge the ipod and transfer a song or two, and after a while i noticed the ipod itself grew hot. That's when i realize that it doesn't respond anymore.

 

 

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying... Let's be clear! Rockbox for the 160GB 7Gen Classic doesn't feature an installer! You have to manually install emCORE and then Rockbox! Was this what you did? First installed emCORE and then Rockbox?

post #1914 of 3101

I got the emcore and rockbox already. Then i update the ipod classic by installing using the Rockbox utility downloaded form rockbox. Then in the "configuration" section, check "show disabled targets", and then install as usual.

post #1915 of 3101
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnholy View Post

I got the emcore and rockbox already. Then i update the ipod classic by installing using the Rockbox utility downloaded form rockbox. Then in the "configuration" section, check "show disabled targets", and then install as usual.

 

 

To my knowledge, there's no such thing as a Rockbox utility for the Classic 160GB iPod! After you install emCORE, you'll always need to copy the RB updates over the older build. If you did that with an utility, like you said, I think you installed a iPod Video/5th gen Rockbox version on yours! If that is even possible... confused.gif

post #1916 of 3101
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnholy View Post

[...]

 

Any suggestion on how I should do to revive it?

 

 

Hope that this still works:

  1. Install and start iTunes.
  2. Connect your iPod with the USB-cable to your computer
  3. Make sure the holdswitch is off. Now press and hold the menu button and select button at the same time for around 15 seconds until your iPod completely shuts down.
  4. iTunes should tell you that the iPod needs to be recovered. Follow the procedure.

 

And next time don't ever ever install on unsupported devices ;) Following the instructions in the first post is the only way to properly install on iPod Classic.

post #1917 of 3101
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnholy View Post

I got the emcore and rockbox already. Then i update the ipod classic by installing using the Rockbox utility downloaded form rockbox. Then in the "configuration" section, check "show disabled targets", and then install as usual.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by putente View Post

 

 

To my knowledge, there's no such thing as a Rockbox utility for the Classic 160GB iPod! After you install emCORE, you'll always need to copy the RB updates over the older build. If you did that with an utility, like you said, I think you installed a iPod Video/5th gen Rockbox version on yours! If that is even possible... confused.gif

 

Start here:

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IpodClassicPort

 

"There is no Rockbox bootloader available yet, you need to use emCORE from freemyipod.org instead."

 

Have you posted about this in the RB forums?  Can you try going back to the RECOMMENDED method (emCORE + some RB build), per the instructions on the first page here?  Failing that, can you restore the OF via iTunes, then get back to RB using the RECOMMENDED method?

 

I'm not sure why you thought using a utility from the RB site would work, when it's stated clearly that there is no install utility for the iPod Classic.  See the iPod Classic line on this page, "New Platforms Currently Under Development" section:

 

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/TargetStatus#New_Platforms_Currently_Under_De

 

"Install with Rockbox Utility" = NO

 

Good luck.

post #1918 of 3101

If anyone wants to sell a Rockbox'ed 7 gen with 240GB hard drive (I only want this exact configuration), please PM me. I prefer to trade at the moment (I am offering my balanced XLR Gamma2 DAC), but may be able to buy in the future (when I sell off my DAC).

post #1919 of 3101

My itunes didn't detect the device and no matter how long i pressed and held the Menu+Select button (middle round button), there's no respondfrown.gif

post #1920 of 3101

I'm having the same problem as autumnholy, I uninstalled itunes and I need the drivers so i can get rid of those stupid apple drivers.

EDIT: Seems that my motherboard has failed again, looks like I'll have to build another computer again. I'll never buy EVGA components again, Nothing but problems.


Edited by afro man DAN - 12/17/12 at 6:23pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.