Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening. - Page 101

post #1501 of 3098

rockbox-ipod6-ef78472M-120926 up and running over here... cool.gif

post #1502 of 3098

Nice. To be honest I really didn't feel that much of an improvement with the previous build in terms of battery life. I almost thought it got shorter if anything!

post #1503 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroldan View Post

New build: rockbox-ipod6-ef78472M-120926.zip

 

I reverted some of the voltage changes on the last build because they 1) didn't make a difference on battery life and 2) some reported a change in the sound (bad thing for a head-fier smily_headphones1.gif). An initial OPUS (RFC 6716) format support is added in this build.

 

I'm now focused on providing two builds from now on, one with 48Khz freq as the default and another with 44.1Khz as the default. The former will be better sounding for people with many 48KHz/96Khz music and the later for people with 44.1Khz/88.2Khz music. "Default" means that any file with another freq would be resampled (as it's now), using the linear algorithm on RB, which is not really a quality resampler.

 

Very interesting.  I've been meaning to look into this for a while now that Opus is going in.  What changes were needed other then redfining NATIVE_FREQUENCY to 48000?

 

Also, since you've posted binaries, have you also posted the source code or patch that goes with them? Usually these are included in the .zip file or else linked from the same page as the zip.

post #1504 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor991 View Post

Is this being worked on right now? I'd love to be able to use the HP-P1 with Rockbox sometime in the future, maybe in a year or so.

 

I doubt support of digital accessories will ever be possible, as Apple has used strong cryptography to ensure that they cannot be used with anything but the Apple software.  Unless they have made mistakes in their implementation, and a very talented person finds them, no support will be possible.

post #1505 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post

 

Very interesting.  I've been meaning to look into this for a while now that Opus is going in.  What changes were needed other then redfining NATIVE_FREQUENCY to 48000?

 

Also, since you've posted binaries, have you also posted the source code or patch that goes with them? Usually these are included in the .zip file or else linked from the same page as the zip.

My patches are here:

 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bnavehlrmgh0zlt/OJqZGzLrEb

 

To set the frequency on the Classic, I have to write the code that actually sets it. Look at an example here, specially the function pcm_dma_set_freq:

 

http://git.rockbox.org/?p=rockbox.git;a=blob;f=firmware/target/arm/s5l8700/pcm-s5l8700.c

post #1506 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroldan View Post

My patches are here:

 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bnavehlrmgh0zlt/OJqZGzLrEb

 

To set the frequency on the Classic, I have to write the code that actually sets it. Look at an example here, specially the function pcm_dma_set_freq:

 

http://git.rockbox.org/?p=rockbox.git;a=blob;f=firmware/target/arm/s5l8700/pcm-s5l8700.c

 

Ah ok.  I didn't realize the driver didn't support 48k, that is an odd oversight.  I thought you meant that the core of rockbox had bugs that prevented 48k playback.  Once you've made the changes to pcm-s5l8700.c would you submit a patch to rockbox so that I can merge them into the main build?  

 

The power changes may also be interesting.  If no one has trouble with them, you should consider documenting how you came up with them and then submitting a patch.  Theseven will probably be interested.  

post #1507 of 3098

120926: First impression =L3000.gifbeerchug.gif Aroldan, thank you very much!!!

post #1508 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post

 

I doubt support of digital accessories will ever be possible, as Apple has used strong cryptography to ensure that they cannot be used with anything but the Apple software.  Unless they have made mistakes in their implementation, and a very talented person finds them, no support will be possible.

Oh, I didn't think about that, the encryption etc.

post #1509 of 3098
Hi everybody,

I'm using my 120gb iPod classic with the build from this page http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Releases/r859

It is stable, working great and I'm happy with it. What would be the benefits from Aroldan's build compared to the one I'm using?

Thanks for your help.
Houchy
post #1510 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houchy View Post

Hi everybody,
I'm using my 120gb iPod classic with the build from this page http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Releases/r859
It is stable, working great and I'm happy with it. What would be the benefits from Aroldan's build compared to the one I'm using?
Thanks for your help.
Houchy

 

All different kinds of patches resulting in improved battery life, playlist and file handling, supporting new stuff (like OPUS in the latest build). I would say to just give it a try!

post #1511 of 3098

Hey guys,

 

Complete noob here, so I'm sorry if my questions seem ignorant...

 

First, let me say I love these aroldan releases! I was about ready to give up on Rockbox on my 160GB Classic because it would seem like 75% of the time, on the build I was using, the system would lock up and I'd have to restart it. Frustrating and jarring to say the least. Since I have begun using aroldan's builds, everything is working smoothly...No crashes at all. biggrin.gif

 

However, I have a few questions:

 

1. When I listen to it on my headphones (Klipsch in the ears), it sounds great, but when I plug it into my speakers, I hear some static. Any idea why this would happen?

 

2. What do people recommend for sound settings? Turn on crossfeed? How to set it up? Turn on EQ? I've tried playing around with different settings but was curious if there is a universally agreed upon optimal set up?

 

3. Is there a way to listen to the iPod while it's charging? Further, is there an actual "charging" screen? When I plug it into the wall outlet, it still shows the USB plug, like it's hooked up to my computer. Is this normal?

 

4. What is this OPUS thing in the new build? Is it important?

 

 

Again, sorry if my questions seem ignorant... But, well, hope you guys can help out.

 

Thanks and cheers! beerchug.gif

post #1512 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twister View Post

 

[...]

 

1. When I listen to it on my headphones (Klipsch in the ears), it sounds great, but when I plug it into my speakers, I hear some static. Any idea why this would happen?

 

2. What do people recommend for sound settings? Turn on crossfeed? How to set it up? Turn on EQ? I've tried playing around with different settings but was curious if there is a universally agreed upon optimal set up?

 

3. Is there a way to listen to the iPod while it's charging? Further, is there an actual "charging" screen? When I plug it into the wall outlet, it still shows the USB plug, like it's hooked up to my computer. Is this normal?

 

4. What is this OPUS thing in the new build? Is it important?

 

1. You probably have the volume on your iPod set too high. Don't turn it louder than -6 dB, do the rest of volume with your amplifier.

2. It differs per person and headset and taste and music style and codec and quality and and and ;) Standard settings is a flat spectrum.

3. Yes, hold the MENU button while connecting the cable. Then press Select to get back to the While Playing Screen.

4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_(audio_format)

post #1513 of 3098

I'm thinking about installing rockbox on my classic but would someone mind finding out if rockbox has the feature I think all ipods have where the headphones are pulled from the jack and the music pauses? My classic is faulty in that it'll pause all the time even when the headphones are in, common fault from what I've read. If it is still there, is there a way to turn it off? (There isn't in the stock firmware)

 

Cheers!

post #1514 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace View Post

I'm thinking about installing rockbox on my classic but would someone mind finding out if rockbox has the feature I think all ipods have where the headphones are pulled from the jack and the music pauses? My classic is faulty in that it'll pause all the time even when the headphones are in, common fault from what I've read. If it is still there, is there a way to turn it off? (There isn't in the stock firmware)

Cheers!

Yes, you can turn this feature off in Rockbox. I do.
post #1515 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroldan View Post

My patches are here:

 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bnavehlrmgh0zlt/OJqZGzLrEb

 

To set the frequency on the Classic, I have to write the code that actually sets it. Look at an example here, specially the function pcm_dma_set_freq:

 

http://git.rockbox.org/?p=rockbox.git;a=blob;f=firmware/target/arm/s5l8700/pcm-s5l8700.c

 

I just looked at that again, and is pcm-s5l8700.c even used by the 6G?  IIRC thats for the Nano2G.  Looking at the 6G header and cs42l55.c, I think it already supports 48k output.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.