I have the HD650 and I'm starting to think that the DT880 Pro is a bit tighter on my dome. Perhaps, phones just break in to your head and ease up a bit over time.
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 1/10/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphonetagged by System, 1/10/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/10/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 1/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- How important is distortion in choosing headphones? Last post on 12/14/11 at 7:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- DT880's (250 ohms) with a Xonar Essence STX ? Last post on 8/28/11 at 9:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Please Help!! All audiophiles!! Last post on 8/28/11 at 5:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- DT880 Blown Driver? Last post on 8/26/11 at 10:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Difference between Beyerdynamic DT990pro and DT880pro 250 OHMS Last post on 8/21/11 at 11:00am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
The Sennheiser PX 360 headphones look good, and are very comfortable, at least to me, but the earcups fit just nicely over my ears. Any smaller and I would not be able to fit these over my ears....
Amazon Etailer sent me wrong DT880s... - Page 2post #16 of 241/7/11 at 1:58pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 241/8/11 at 12:30ampost #18 of 241/8/11 at 1:57amQuote:Originally Posted by Kevin Brown
My impression, for the DT770 Pro's anyway, is that since the clamping force is higher, the bass response is increased too?
I think the bass on the DT880/250's is very well balanced as-is. I'd be concerned that it might be too boosted for the Pros.
And if the clamping force is higher, they might not be as comfortable over long listening sessions as the "std" model.
I think I'll be staying away from the STD model myself. I've no idea where it's been.
OP: As a Premium DT880 owner, I'll say one of its greatest attributes is its comfort and lack of clamping force. I would definitely advise seeing if you can get the version you ordered, as you're missing out on one of the joys of owning a Beyer otherwise.post #19 of 241/8/11 at 2:43am
I have to say after a few days of seasoning the headband, fully extended and cupped around a medium size military helmet, the clamp kinda feels like the premium Dt880's. Well overall very please with my Pro 880's, just need to season it! I would like to add that I wear glasses and having to 880's on didn't affect comfort in anyway.post #20 of 241/8/11 at 3:04pmQuote:
I'm old and slow sometimes. Took me a while to get this one.
But really, I grew up when the VD model was more common.
But I never had personal experience with it !!
post #21 of 241/9/11 at 9:11pmThread Starter
I ended up emailing the particular e-tailer who botched up my order. My request was for them to overnight me the proper pair of DT880 2005 250ohm headphones that I ordered and provide me with a shipping label to send the Pro version back. If need be they can put a hold on my CC for the proper headphones to ensure they get the wrong pair back. My decision was based on the tight clamping and the speculation that the premium version has a wider soundstage. I can live without the coiled cable. Now that I made my move let's hope that they counter with the right move.post #22 of 241/9/11 at 9:43pm
If the actual vendor you bought it from doesn't make it right call amazon directly even though you didn't technically buy it from them.
I'm not a fan of amazon's general business practice of accepting loss as a means to push the little guy out of business, but they will do almost anything to keep a customer. I would certainly not advocate any dishonest behavior, but they regularly send a second one of something "and dont worry about sending the first one back" to keep people happy.post #23 of 241/16/11 at 10:31amThread Starter
I ended up having to order the DT880 250 premiums from a different vendor. It turns out that Amazon had listed the item incorrectly as the premium version and the vendor didn't realize this. They apparently only sell the Pro versions of Beyerdynamic products. I sent the item back and since have received the correct phones. They sound great. I don't notice a real difference other than my head feeling a slight ache after a half hour. I do miss the the coiled up cable though.post #24 of 241/16/11 at 11:43am
I did not know the Pro and Premium version sound the same. Was under the impression that the Pros would sound slightly worse for some reason.
I wouldn't mind if Beyerdynamic just made 1 version of a headphone at a time like other manufacturers.
- Amazon Etailer sent me wrong DT880s...
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Advice for Reterminating an IEM 52 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 1 minute ago
- › The Perth, Western Australia Head-Fi Meet Thread 1 minute ago
- › Israel Meet 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 5 minutes ago
- › Looking for recommendations for a portable headphone DAC/AMP with... 5 minutes ago
- › Help with a few options (HE400 vs. 2900 vs. X1 - - Lyr vs. ALO Pan Am) 7 minutes ago
- › ROCK JAW - UK Engineered in-ears and over ear. Hello to one and all 8 minutes ago
- › Advice in choosing high end IEMs. 10 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 11 minutes ago
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob