Wow. I tried them both at local audio store (side by side) and D5k were the run away winner by my ears. Amp may not have been up to driving 650's, not sure. The Denons were clearly more comfortable on my large head.
Related Forum Threads
- Something to Compliment the HD580 Last post on 2/12/12 at 5:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New headphones, ~£300 budget Last post on 1/16/12 at 2:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Have d5000+compass worth getting hd650? Last post on 1/21/12 at 9:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Running the HD650's... Ampless? Last post on 1/4/12 at 6:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Please Help me choose a headphone from this website.... AH-D7000, HD650, DT880, DT990, T70 Last post on 5/22/16 at 6:38am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction – The X5 is perhaps the quintessential Fiio player, it was one of their first devices and also one of their most universally acclaimed. Fiio have come far since the unveiling of the...
Introduction FiiO X5-2 is the second generation of X5 DAPs (digital audio players) from FiiO. I owned a FiiO X5 for quite a while before buying X5-2 and I was...
Brainwavz is a company that should be well known by now to anyone who's familiar with Head-Fi. Known for their excellent build quality and reasonable prices, Brainwavz should always be on your...
Introduction I have been an enthusiastic headphone user for many MANY years now. My first set of serious headphones were the open-backed Sennheiser HD400 headphones. From what I remember about...
Introduction: From the company that brought you the N5 and N6 sources comes the Cayin i5. The i5 is their entry into the very competitve mid priced DAP market. Cayin also has other lines of...
d5000 and hd650 - Page 2post #16 of 181/29/11 at 5:16pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 181/30/11 at 2:16am
Comfort is a non-issue with the 650 as they change considerably over the first few weeks. As for sound quality, I at least would like to hear why the D5000 was a "runaway winner."post #18 of 181/30/11 at 3:56pm
Several criteria play into that assesment. The biggest one: From the amp that was driving all the phones, The Denons had a the clearest, fullest and most deeply joyful sound I've ever heard.
This was aginst some other Denons, some Grados and the one Sennheiser.
It is possible that the amp might not been up to whatever it needed to be to make the Senn's sound right.
Mostly I was comparinig at similar volumes though I could adjust it up and down however I liked. But from what I heard, the 650's were flat and distant in comparison.
I liked the D5K's better than the D7K's. So maybe it's just something with the sound I like. Also, I could not say how long anything was burned in for.
So nothing real technical for me, just a clear sound preferance.
Edited by DaveLinx - 1/30/11 at 4:00pm
- d5000 and hd650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Simgot EN700 Impressions & Discussion Thread 34 seconds ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 3 minutes ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 4 minutes ago
- › Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread 4 minutes ago
- › New Teac HA-P50-B Portable DAC Amp 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Siblence Fix, making them sound like the HD 800 -... 5 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 6 minutes ago
- › AKG Q701 (GREEN) 6 minutes ago
- › Best Sub-100$ CHINESE Brands EARPHONES Thread- Hidden Gems,... 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Brainwavz B150 by crabdog
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by Peddler
- › Cayin i5 by subguy812
- › Lotoo Paw Pico by twister6
- › Shanling UP Portable DAC/Headphone Amplifier AMP ES9018K2M+MAX97... by ngoshawk
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Schiit Audio Vali 2 by DeeKay10
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear