Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Leica D-Lux 5 & Lumix DMC-LX5 (TAVES Toronto Audio show - Nov.01, 2013 - Photos)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Leica D-Lux 5 & Lumix DMC-LX5 (TAVES Toronto Audio show - Nov.01, 2013 - Photos) - Page 4

post #46 of 174

Well...I got to go to the park today and managed to get a few snapshots in...

 

P1000137-Psmall.jpg

 

P1000142-Psmall.jpg

 

 

 

and I took this one early in the morning....

 

P1000120-Psmall.jpg


Edited by LFF - 6/22/11 at 8:33pm
post #47 of 174
Thread Starter 
You are a crack shot with your new point and shoot.

Seeing you laying/kneeling to get those angles must raise an eyebrow in the park.

I've been slacking with the Leica,only working with one eye-keratoconus strikes again...
post #48 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5aces View Post

You are a crack shot with your new point and shoot.

Seeing you laying/kneeling to get those angles must raise an eyebrow in the park.

I've been slacking with the Leica,only working with one eye-keratoconus strikes again...


LOL! I got lucky because not that many people were near me. I actually get very self-conscience when I am carrying a camera and there are more than 2 people around. Makes me hesitant to shoot despite my love of street photography. One of the reasons I got the LX5 is due to it's small size but even with the LX5 I still feel a bit shy walking around and taking pictures.

 

You should definitely get back to shooting with the Leica. This camera makes it very easy to take nice pictures. Here is one I took today as I was leaving the local market.

 

 


Edited by LFF - 6/15/11 at 11:59pm
post #49 of 174

Why aren't you Leica D-Lux 5 owners posting more pics!? Any other Lumix DMC-LX5 owners out there?!?

post #50 of 174
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5aces View Post

only working with one eye-keratoconus strikes again...

I had surgery on my left eye May20,2011,new procedure for Keratoconus called "Corneal Cross Linking".

Also some laser treatment to help lower the required corrective script.

Hurt like hell for the first day,gradually settling down now.

I am waiting for the blurred vision to change but this can take up to two months for an older dude,looking around August for improvements.

So just trying to take care of the eye,not too much sun or strain.

Still,I am more at the ready it seems with the dull Samsung Galaxy S cellphone camera-not worth posting those!

Truth is,when I pull out the Leica,usually it is for a dedicated reason and I should take it along more often...

On June 18,the local farmers market opens here on Main St.-I'll get outside and put the camera through the paces!
post #51 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5aces View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by 5aces View Post

only working with one eye-keratoconus strikes again...



I had surgery on my left eye May20,2011,new procedure for Keratoconus called "Corneal Cross Linking".

Also some laser treatment to help lower the required corrective script.

Hurt like hell for the first day,gradually settling down now.

I am waiting for the blurred vision to change but this can take up to two months for an older dude,looking around August for improvements.

So just trying to take care of the eye,not too much sun or strain.

Still,I am more at the ready it seems with the dull Samsung Galaxy S cellphone camera-not worth posting those!

Truth is,when I pull out the Leica,usually it is for a dedicated reason and I should take it along more often...

On June 18,the local farmers market opens here on Main St.-I'll get outside and put the camera through the paces!
 

 

Well...I certainly hope you heal up! Best of luck with that!!!

 

I find the Leica/Lumix is really easy to carry along everywhere. I highly recommend this case:

 

http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Panasonic-Lumix-Camera-Brown/dp/B0049PP02K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307066550&sr=8-1

 

I bought to carry on belt and it works great for that. I bought the other case for when I want to go street shooting and need to have the camera ready at hand.
 

 

post #52 of 174

Well...I finally got my other camera case!! For what this place is charging...it's a flat out bargain. Highly recommend both cases and IMHO, you should own both! Here is the link to the 2 piece case and where I got it from.

 

http://www.gadgettown.com/Camera-Bag-for-Panasonic-LX5-Brown-D00708/large-image

post #53 of 174
Thread Starter 
Certainly fine choices for a protective case,thanks for the links and good wishes.

500

I am enamoured with this listing and as usual it is priced into the stratosphere at $199 USD.

Some of the copy from the description:

Brand new Artisan & Artist LMB-D4HG Black leather half case for the Leica D-Lux 5 digital camera.
Fashioned like a thinner bottom half of the ever ready case, this case covers many of the most vulnerable parts of the camera without adding significantly to the bulk or weight in the process.
Made out of soft lamb skin type leather, it delicately cushions the camera inside with suede.
However, it does this while stretching ever-so-slightly to fit the camera like a glove and protect it from any harm a miscellaneous zipper or table edge might seek to inflict.
Comes with box.
Due to the hand made nature of these items slight shade and texture variations may occur.

Like a woman's favorite jeans,they've got to fit just right,it would go over the handgrip accessory on the camera too.
Edited by 5aces - 6/3/11 at 7:00am
post #54 of 174

Wow...that does look nice but for $199...that's way too expensive for me. Still...very nice.

 

Some pics I took today!

 

P1000328Small.jpg

 

P1000346Small.jpg

 

P1000351Small.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

my poor attempt at B&W street photos

 

P1000339Small.jpg

 

I'm rather enamored with this tiny camera and the results I am able to get with it. bigsmile_face.gif


Edited by LFF - 6/22/11 at 8:29pm
post #55 of 174

Just received my LX-5 today and love it!

Now to wait until Melbourne's terrible weather eases a bit and I can go out and shoot some photos!

post #56 of 174

LFF, stop taking picturestongue.gif You are to good, you are making me get onerolleyes.gif

post #57 of 174

 

 

Hi there,

 

Been using a Canon Ixus 100 IS for a couple years and now i'm looking for a step up in the chain smile.gif

Would this litlle beauty be a significant one?

(i'm also considering the Nikon D7000, but my rational side is telling me that i won't need such a powerful camera, although it's quite tempting..)

post #58 of 174
Thread Starter 
Reasons to consider the Leica D-LUX 5

Much smaller 110x65x25 mm vs 132x105x77 mm 6x smaller

Image stabilization Lens vs None Helps eliminate blur caused by small camera movements

Much lighter 271 g vs 780 g 2.9x lighter

Much thinner 1" vs 3" 3.1x thinner

Cheaper $791.97 vs $1,375.00 The best price we've seen is $583 cheaper (more than 40% less)

Significantly longer exposures 60s vs 30s 2x longer exposures


Reasons to consider the Nikon D7000

Higher resolution movies 1080p @ 24fps vs 720p @ 30fps Shoots higher resolution Full HD (1080p) video but at a lower frame rate

Faster autofocus Phase detection vs Contrast detection Catch candid moments easily

Significantly higher resolution screen 920k dots vs 460k dots 2x higher resolution screen

Much larger sensor APS-C 23.6x15.6mm vs 1/1.7" 8.3x6.2mm More than 7x larger sensor

Has interchangeable lenses Yes vs No Can take advantage of a variety of lenses

Weather sealed Yes vs No Sealed to shoot in the rain

Much higher true resolution 16.1 MP vs 10 MP Capture more than 60% more detail in your photos

Has more storage slots 2 vs 1 More slots allows storing more images without switching memory cards

Supports 24p Yes vs No Get that real film feel

Better maximum light sensitivity 6,400 ISO vs 3,200 ISO The D7000's maximum light sensitivity is 1 f-stop better

Shoots faster 6 fps vs 2.5 fps Around 2.5x faster continuous shooting

Better boost ISO 25,600 ISO vs 12,800 ISO The D7000's boost ISO is 1 f-stop better

Has a CMOS-family sensor CMOS vs CCD CMOS-family sensors often produce better quality

The Nikon is a couple of large jumps up vs the $200 Canon.

The Leica/Lumix would be an easier progression to manual photography,with this chart at least you know what you will be missing,good resale for the Leica as a bonus.
Edited by 5aces - 6/6/11 at 6:08pm
post #59 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by cifani090 View Post

LFF, stop taking picturestongue.gif You are to good, you are making me get onerolleyes.gif



Thanks! You should get one....it's a fantastic little camera.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitor Teixeira View Post

 

 

Hi there,

 

Been using a Canon Ixus 100 IS for a couple years and now i'm looking for a step up in the chain smile.gif

Would this litlle beauty be a significant one?

(i'm also considering the Nikon D7000, but my rational side is telling me that i won't need such a powerful camera, although it's quite tempting..)


I found the Lumix DMC-LX5 to be a huge upgrade over our current point and shoot. I find that the LX5 is more like a portable DSLR rather than a P&S. It has certain features that only much more expensive cameras have.

 

Here are some shots I took a few days ago when I was bored....

 

P1000366P-S.jpg

 

P1000357P-S.jpg

 

P1000371BW-s.jpg

 

 

 

 

 


Edited by LFF - 6/22/11 at 8:28pm
post #60 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5aces View Post


Reasons to consider the Leica D-LUX 5

Much smaller 110x65x25 mm vs 132x105x77 mm 6x smaller

Image stabilization Lens vs None Helps eliminate blur caused by small camera movements

Much lighter 271 g vs 780 g 2.9x lighter

Much thinner 1" vs 3" 3.1x thinner

Cheaper $791.97 vs $1,375.00 The best price we've seen is $583 cheaper (more than 40% less)

Significantly longer exposures 60s vs 30s 2x longer exposures


Reasons to consider the Nikon D7000

Higher resolution movies 1080p @ 24fps vs 720p @ 30fps Shoots higher resolution Full HD (1080p) video but at a lower frame rate

Faster autofocus Phase detection vs Contrast detection Catch candid moments easily

Significantly higher resolution screen 920k dots vs 460k dots 2x higher resolution screen

Much larger sensor APS-C 23.6x15.6mm vs 1/1.7" 8.3x6.2mm More than 7x larger sensor

Has interchangeable lenses Yes vs No Can take advantage of a variety of lenses

Weather sealed Yes vs No Sealed to shoot in the rain

Much higher true resolution 16.1 MP vs 10 MP Capture more than 60% more detail in your photos

Has more storage slots 2 vs 1 More slots allows storing more images without switching memory cards

Supports 24p Yes vs No Get that real film feel

Better maximum light sensitivity 6,400 ISO vs 3,200 ISO The D7000's maximum light sensitivity is 1 f-stop better

Shoots faster 6 fps vs 2.5 fps Around 2.5x faster continuous shooting

Better boost ISO 25,600 ISO vs 12,800 ISO The D7000's boost ISO is 1 f-stop better

Has a CMOS-family sensor CMOS vs CCD CMOS-family sensors often produce better quality

The Nikon is a couple of large jumps up vs the $200 Canon.

The Leica/Lumix would be an easier progression to manual photography,with this chart at least you know what you will be missing,good resale for the Leica as a bonus.



Thank you 5aces!

What a brilliant explanation!

Know it's on me to decide. ;)

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Leica D-Lux 5 & Lumix DMC-LX5 (TAVES Toronto Audio show - Nov.01, 2013 - Photos)