Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Review: Denon AH-D1100 vs Sony MDR-XB500
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Denon AH-D1100 vs Sony MDR-XB500 - Page 5

post #61 of 95

just wanted to say. EPIC review. 

when you get the funds, mind trying the Brainwavz HM3? ($40 at the moment)

post #62 of 95
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakiDabeast View Post

in terms of feeling that tickle ^^ how much of the d1100 will tickle your ears? In comparison to the xb500 and lp2.


Barely nothing whatsoever. What tickles ears is the deep bass not midbass, Denon D1100 focuses mostly on midbass. I think I must gotten a bad sample or I didn't use good enough amping for it though as the graph on headphone.com shows the bass goes fairly strong down deep as well but for me it sounded quite severely rolled-off compared to midbass and therefore the bass was very punchy & quick but didn't give that low bass "ear-tickling" effect in any songs really.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomikn00b View Post

just wanted to say. EPIC review. 

when you get the funds, mind trying the Brainwavz HM3? ($40 at the moment)

 

Thanks, I didn't know about this headphone until now, will search around for it a little more before possibly deciding to pick it up. The cups look fairly small however, do they fit around the ears you think for some1 with middle-sized ears?


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 1/22/12 at 12:41am
post #63 of 95

Are you going to get a D2000 anytime soon? Would love to hear how it runs with a ZO2.

post #64 of 95
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crinacle View Post

Are you going to get a D2000 anytime soon? Would love to hear how it runs with a ZO2.


I don't think so, I have a feeling it's not quite what I'm looking for (I dislike any headphones which have highs higher elevated than mids, I want mids & bass to have the front seat), Denon D5000 is the only Denon I think which would fit my taste but I'm not gonna buy such an expensive headphone while being unemployed (just finished school and stuff, hard to get jobs around here). However if I had a good job with a steady income I'd probably be trying out more headphones just for the fun of it, possibly D2000 as well.

 


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 1/22/12 at 12:51am
post #65 of 95

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

I don't think so, I have a feeling it's not quite what I'm looking for (I dislike any headphones which have highs higher elevated than mids, I want mids & bass to have the front seat), Denon D5000 is the only Denon I think which would fit my taste but I'm not gonna buy such an expensive headphone while being unemployed (just finished school and stuff, hard to get jobs around here). However if I had a good job with a steady income I'd probably be trying out more headphones just for the fun of it, possibly D2000 as well.

 



I implore you to try the Beats Pro. Might be what you're searching for.

post #66 of 95
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crinacle View Post

 

I implore you to try the Beats Pro. Might be what you're searching for.


I actually think I'd like them soundwise pretty much but the issue is the weight, I don't like heavy headphones and the pads look a bit small like they won't fit the ear inside, I usually prefer around 250g or lighter if possible. Neither would I pay full price for it, if it was around $200, maybe.

 

I know quite a lot of DJs actually like these Beats Pro so I'm sure they are a lot better than any other Monster headphones.


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 1/22/12 at 1:04am
post #67 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post


Barely nothing whatsoever. What tickles ears is the deep bass not midbass, Denon D1100 focuses mostly on midbass. I think I must gotten a bad sample or I didn't use good enough amping for it though as the graph on headphone.com shows the bass goes fairly strong down deep as well but for me it sounded quite severely rolled-off compared to midbass and therefore the bass was very punchy & quick but didn't give that low bass "ear-tickling" effect in any songs really.

 

 

 

 


poop, is it really that little? I mean at somewhat high volumes, cause my hd25 can tickle my ears on high volumes with bass booster so.... :/ 

post #68 of 95

I have no interest in neither of these headphones, but this is one the best well written reviews I have come across (of many many reviews I read anonymously). I meant to join head-fi sooner and you rushed me to it to express my appreciation; for all and your review in particular.

 

I wish you did any review on D2000, but anyway it is on the way to me and I am gonna love it. Any chance to hear your input on CAL!? It should be good? on the mids and bass as you like.

 

 

BTW, I saw a post about Foobar2000 something sometime in head-fi and I was looking what/where was it and I couldn't find it in the search. I closed the search page and came back to your review and there it was and by you! And and a review on ZO! EPIC WIN :D

 

 

post #69 of 95

Cool reviews.  It's nice to see how these 2 campare to each other.

post #70 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

Thanks, I didn't know about this headphone until now, will search around for it a little more before possibly deciding to pick it up. The cups look fairly small however, do they fit around the ears you think for some1 with middle-sized ears?

yes, the cups should fit nicely. 
and i had a feeling you hadn't heard of it. the focus here has been on it's neutral brother (HM5). the HM3 is bass and mids as you like with highs decent enough to not miss much.

i'd love to hear an opinion from someone like you who has already figured out what kind of sound you prefer (so we know how to accept your thoughts :-P) 

 

post #71 of 95
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomikn00b View Post

yes, the cups should fit nicely. 
and i had a feeling you hadn't heard of it. the focus here has been on it's neutral brother (HM5). the HM3 is bass and mids as you like with highs decent enough to not miss much.

i'd love to hear an opinion from someone like you who has already figured out what kind of sound you prefer (so we know how to accept your thoughts :-P) 

 


The only place I've found these for order is on amazon.co.uk for £45 = 54 EUR = $70 USD. I'm not quite sure about these as I would only like to try out headphones that might have potential to taking away the fav spot from me, I have a hard time believing they'd put up a good fight with M-Audio Q40. Q40 sounds near perfect for my taste, possibly better soundstage I wouldn't say no to as the soundstage is quite average for a closed headphone but the bass response is just perfect and the mids & highs are pretty near to perfect as well.

 


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 1/23/12 at 12:28am
post #72 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post


The only place I've found these for order is on amazon.co.uk for £45 = 54 EUR = $70 USD. I'm not quite sure about these as I would only like to try out headphones that might have potential to taking away the fav spot from me, I have a hard time believing they'd put up a good fight with M-Audio Q40. Q40 sounds near perfect for my taste, possibly better soundstage I wouldn't say no to as the soundstage is quite average for a closed headphone but the bass response is just perfect and the mids & highs are pretty near to perfect as well.

 


that's because they just ran out of stock. there was a special deal for $40 USD. 

used to be HERE

i believe its $60 normally

post #73 of 95
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomikn00b View Post


that's because they just ran out of stock. there was a special deal for $40 USD. 

used to be HERE

i believe its $60 normally


Well I'm from europe though, hardly any places carry Brainwavz here, was suprised to even find them on amazon.co.uk...

 

post #74 of 95

Great review man. I don't have the Denons yet but I don't like the xb500's at all. Recessed highs, small soundstage, slow. A fart cannon. xb700 are better in every way IMO. You can easily achieve xb500 levels of bass with a bit of EQ. Really dissapointed with this purchase but at least they were cheap.

 

D1100 should be here next week.

 

xb700, xb500 - leak too much sound, don't like the xb500's sound

pro700 Mk2 - very uncomfortable

 

D1100 better be perfect :D

post #75 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbox View Post

Great review man. I don't have the Denons yet but I don't like the xb500's at all. Recessed highs, small soundstage, slow. A fart cannon. xb700 are better in every way IMO. You can easily achieve xb500 levels of bass with a bit of EQ. Really dissapointed with this purchase but at least they were cheap.

 

D1100 should be here next week.

 

xb700, xb500 - leak too much sound, don't like the xb500's sound

pro700 Mk2 - very uncomfortable

 

D1100 better be perfect :D


hows the pro700 mk2 bass and sound?

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Review: Denon AH-D1100 vs Sony MDR-XB500