Nice review. Thanks
Recent Images In This Thread
- productDenon AH-D1100tagged by System, 1/3/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/3/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 1/3/11
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 1/3/11
Related Forum Threads
- Good over ear headphones for under $200. What's the best? Last post on 1/27/13 at 9:31pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Ultrasone Pro 900 Alternatives Last post on 10/5/11 at 12:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone HFI-680 any good? Last post on 9/24/11 at 10:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Searching for a narrow soundstage Last post on 9/18/11 at 3:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Bass impact compared to beats by dre Last post on 8/16/11 at 5:10am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
AK Audio Super Dolphin 6BASticking a Dolphin in your ears! DisclaimerThe Super Dolphin 6BA is a loaner unit provided in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion. I have tried my best to...
This is an excellent pair of headphones, sound is very clear, and the looks are impressive. I am disappointed with the padding, hurts to wear in less then 15 minutes. Pads can be replaced though....
I've had mine for almost 5 years, still breathing and still sounds great! I've had mine short circuit for two times because and fixed it, still sounds the same. So far this is the best for me and I...
When these went on sale at massdrop I thought I was going to put one over on the man and get some really good audiophile grade headphones for $100, sadly that's not what I got when the package...
This little DAC punches way way way above its weight. I fell deep into the audiophile hole about a month ago, waiting for our 2nd son to be born. If I could be so bold, I went through a...
Review: Denon AH-D1100 vs Sony MDR-XB500 - Page 2post #16 of 951/28/11 at 4:30pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 951/28/11 at 4:51pm
Very interesting, those two headphones are closer in performance than I expected.
I know it's not really about those headphones, but since you tried both AKG K518 and ATH-M50, which ones would you feel to be more balanced headphones, as well as a better purchase?post #18 of 951/28/11 at 5:35pmThread StarterQuote:
AKG K 518 are also extremely warm sounding headphones very close to XB500 in that aspect (possibly slightly warmer even, need to do more comparisions), the bass is much stronger (punchier) than M50 and possibly the bassiest AKG headphone I'd say (I wouldn't be suprised if even stronger than the K 181 DJ). It sometimes lacks some very slight deep bass for my taste, nothing severe it's just the upper bass is much stronger. Highs are very dark/smooth sounding or a bit rolled off if you will, yet has quite decent quality to it, mids are so-so, they are quite forward tho which is good but they are quite "smooth" not revealing the finest possible detail, like you can hear them very well but they still sound "smooth" with no extra crispyness to them. The biggest issue is comfort and soundstage though. Comfort can be fixed with stretching, soundstage cannot, it's roughly the same as with M50, possibly tiny bit worse, feels very "cave-like" claustrophobic.
The M50 sample I tried must have been something wrong with (I'm positive as out of an Audigy 1 card the left driver crackled/distorted heavily all the time while right one worked perfectly with bass while it didn't have those issues using an Audigy 2 ZS, weird huh?) Also it was far from any bassy at all on the audigy 2 zs card so must have been something fishy about it, I've heard several people say it would be bassier than even D1100 but for me it was far from it and one of the reasons I sold it cuz it just didn't have enough bass. Anyway having said that, what I heard on that sample would be the bass was neither deep rumbling or punchy but very slight midbass hump and the lower highs, ie. 4~8Hz or so had some quite big emphasize so it made them sound rather harsh, not overly bright though as the upper highs were more balanced but there were sibilance present. Mids were actually very good I thought, detailed and crispy and clear, the soundstage wasn't any good though. The overall sound was like very clear I'd say out of those M50 were still better balanced but I'd love to hear an M50 that people exaggerate about being very bassy because I'm sure it's not what my sample had because mine sounds like it would have a lot less bass and more mids and highs, it was nearly as bright as DT770 Pro even.
post #19 of 951/28/11 at 5:46pm
Nice review. I was wondering how the two stacked up. It looks like I would not like the D1100s, as I thought the XB500s already had too much midbass and not enough low bass. It looks like if I ever get a bass can, it will be the XB700 if something better and comparably priced doesn't come along.post #20 of 951/28/11 at 5:50pmThread Starter
Yea I think XB700 would satisfy you quite well, it doesn't have THAT much more deep bass, only a bit more but because it's lacking the upper bass found in XB500 it will seem like the deep bass is much stronger as the tonal character of the bass sounds different when the upper bass isn't as strong (just play around with 125Hz vs 62Hz slider on the EQ and you know what I mean), however when doing analytical listening especially for hardstyle tracks that have deep bass that often goes down to 40~50Hz, it wasn't much difference in deep bass, the XB500 always did hit harder with the bass though, XB700 was just slightly too soft for my liking, perhaps less fatiguing but there's no such thing as fatiguing bass for me personally. XB700 is however also a lot brighter and the mids will also because of that seem a bit more recessed. The XB700 have more of a V-shaped frequency response, XB500 is like a slanting slope from the lows to highs with a bit more forward mids but less deep bass and highs compared to XB700.post #21 of 952/4/11 at 10:17pmpost #22 of 952/5/11 at 3:05amThread Starter
I don't know about M-Audio Q40. Between DT770 Pro/80 the bass quantity is about the same but the bass is of the opposite type. DT770 Pro/80 have lots of deep rumbling slow bass that's softer and lacks some punch/impact from upper bass while D1100 is the opposite and hits hard like you'd be hit by a hammer but the bass decays/rolls off quick and doesn't have a lot of deep bass presence. You can feel the bass on both but I'd say even better on D1100 because of the stronger punch.post #23 of 952/5/11 at 3:13ampost #24 of 952/5/11 at 7:55amQuote:Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD
I don't know about M-Audio Q40. Between DT770 Pro/80 the bass quantity is about the same but the bass is of the opposite type. DT770 Pro/80 have lots of deep rumbling slow bass that's softer and lacks some punch/impact from upper bass while D1100 is the opposite and hits hard like you'd be hit by a hammer but the bass decays/rolls off quick and doesn't have a lot of deep bass presence. You can feel the bass on both but I'd say even better on D1100 because of the stronger punch.
Thanks RPG, I'm thinking about getting the D1100 or the M-Audio Q40. Some say the Q40 surpasses the DT770 in bass, but I guess I'll have to try both.post #25 of 952/5/11 at 8:31amThread Starterpost #26 of 952/12/11 at 12:24pm
I will try to speak a good english, and it is not easy for me =)
RPGWiZaRD i just want to thanks you because you really helped me to choose my headphone!
I thing i'm going to buy the XB 500, i was looking for information about it and your post make me defenitively choose it!
I enjoy listenning Hard-Electro (cf:http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9j0wa_skoza-sik-gorgiamus-frenchcore if u want to get an idea) and reagge!
Do you thing that headphone good for that kind of music? I use an I Pod, do u have any suggestion for another headphone which is good to a dayli use?
I expect i was clear and that i did not be too confuse on my letter.
But you have to forgive me, i'm french and i'm good only for mathematics^^!post #27 of 952/12/11 at 1:21pmThread Starter
That song's bass is pretty intense on my XB500, it's got very big punch/impact to it so I can not only hear it but also "feel" it but at same time it doesn't sound overpowered at all as it fades away quick, very nice. I think for the electro part it would probably satisfy you a lot, I'm unsure about reggae, for that genre I'd imagine you usually wish a bit "crisper" sound, XB500 has these a bit recessed frequency dips at 3.5~4kHz or so and at 16kHz or so and for reggae I'd imagine it would be optimal with a bigger emphasize at those frequencies as the XB500 sounds a bit smoother.
Of course if you have access to a good EQ you can fix these issues but that's not an option for every1.post #28 of 952/12/11 at 1:30pm
Thanks u again!
What is a bit "crisper" sound?
And what should be the effect of a bigger emphasize?
and i don't understood "XB500 has these a bit recessed frequency dips at 3.5~4kHz or so and at 16kHz"^^?
Nb: If u want some more songs i can easily give! Just ask!post #29 of 952/12/11 at 1:50pmThread Starter
I don't know how to explain it easier as I don't want to lie to you by saying "yes it's good" and then maybe it isn't to you. ^^
I know I can't give any short explanations but it's because I don't want to lie to any1 either as sound is such a subjective matter we're dealing with.
But I think XB500 sounds okay unEQ'd but sounds very good if you use an equalizer with it but depending on the equalizer you use, the result will vary. If you'd EQ it by emphasizing those frequencies that is a bit recessed (meaning the volume of them is rather low so instruments that lies in the frequency range won't be heard as clearly) it will sound better with a more wide range of music.
- Review: Denon AH-D1100 vs Sony MDR-XB500
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! just now
- › Official Free FLAC File Music Sharing Thread 29 seconds ago
- › The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by... 42 seconds ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016 2 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 5 minutes ago
- › Valhalla 2 review coming soon! 7 minutes ago
- › Super Dolphin 6BA by RedJohn456
- › HE-5LE by audiophilehe400
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...