I'm looking for impressions and opinions of the HRT Music Streamer II + USB DAC. Especially compared to other up to $500 USB DACs like DacMagic, RDac, Vdac. I like the simplicity of the device, the price point, and reviews online reviews seem favorable. Will be used together on IMAC based system with Meier Concerto and D7000.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productCambridge - Dac Magic - Digital to Analog Convertertagged by System, 9/21/11
- categoryDACstagged by System, 9/21/11
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by System, 9/21/11
- productHRT Music Streamer II + (Plus) High Resolution USB D/A Convertertagged by System, 9/21/11
- topicUsb Audiotagged by System, 9/21/11
Related Forum Threads
- List of DACs that work with iPad Last post on 10/23/16 at 2:10pm in Portable Source Gear
- HRT Music Streamer II vs HRT Music Streamer II+ (MSII vs MSII+) Comparison / Review Last post on 5/1/13 at 5:40am in Dedicated Source Components
- USB DACs Last post on 11/8/12 at 2:45pm in Computer Audio
- Casea Aquila USB audio Interface Last post on 3/18/13 at 2:36pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Help finding DAC for Stax Lambda Pro Last post on 8/24/12 at 11:27pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Note: I have previously reviewed the K10 from Noble, where I covered much of Noble’s history and order process. For this reason, I will use some of the portions of that review that pertain to Noble...
Founded in 2014 in Guangzhou, China, Shinrico is a company focused on digital electronic products in the field of high-tech enterprises. Recently I reviewed their excellent D3S Digital...
For larger (1200x800) images, simply click any photoINTRODUCTIONAhhh – the portable amplifier – one of the audio enthusiast's more misunderstood tools / assets. For the beginner, there...
Preamble: I have already reviewed some of 1MORE’s and Xiaomi’s audio products in the past and all of them offered a great sound experience for their very reasonable price point. The...
I love the openness and light weight of earbuds, unfortunately those earbuds I tried such as OMX95, MX375, were lack of bass and musicality. Then I found Fiio EM3 is under $10 and got good review,...
Impressions/Opinions on HRT Music Streamer II + neededpost #1 of 1071/1/11 at 8:56amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1071/1/11 at 1:23pm
I only have the + version, the one that came before the II+ and it is fantastic. Paired in your set up, it should be wonderful. And your right about the simplicity of the device. Plug and play. Plus theres no power cable to worry about.post #3 of 1071/1/11 at 3:28pmpost #4 of 1071/1/11 at 7:50pmThread Starter
Thanks guys, I've read those reviews and they look good. Will likely order from Amazon this week and compare to my Apogee Duet.......really hoping it's at least as good of a DAC if not better, would like to clear my desk of the Duet's rat nest of cables.post #5 of 1071/2/11 at 7:43amNot sure it will be as good as the Duet. I think you will have to spend a lot more than $500 to equal/improve on it. The cables are a pain but all of the Apogees have very musical sounding converters. They are sometimes accused of being a little too euphonic by the pro crowd. If you try the Streamer, let us know what you think.post #6 of 1071/2/11 at 6:32pm
I too am planning to buy this DAC (it's in my Amazon cart as we speak) - will have to use it with my lowly E9 for now, but will eventually upgrade to the Schiit Lyr.
Then the E7/E9 combo goes to a bedroom setup.post #7 of 1071/2/11 at 7:42pmpost #8 of 1071/2/11 at 9:26pm
Pulled the trigger on the HRT Music Streamer II+. It gets rave reviews.
Sorta sucks that it'll be outputting to my E9...but that'll get an upgrade in due time.
Yes....due time...*rubs hands together maniacally*post #9 of 1071/3/11 at 12:07pm
It'd be sweet to see some opamp rolling on this thing, apparently the stock opamp is nicely fit into a DIP8 socket.post #10 of 1071/3/11 at 5:14pm
I am very happy with the MSII (the base model), but I havent heard the other Streamer models. Surprised by the number of people here who still turn their noses up at USB DACs - they really need to read some of Gordon Rankin's posts over at Computer Audiophile before coming out with pronouncements re. USB vs coax vs Firewire etc. Implementation is everything, and the lollygaggers who get caught up in reciting outdated 'wisdom' will inevitably get left behind in the coming decade.
Not sure that the dual-RCA-into-mini-plug arrangement that you need for most portable amps will make everyone happy, but I like what it has done for my music. If I had to describe the sound signature in a single word, it would be 'smooth' : those looking for extreme clarity/resolution etc would be happier with another DAC. Comparing the Streamer to the Benchmark/QB-9 etc is farcical, but its surprising how many people want to engage in this type of madness. Those who want a Ferrari need to be prepared to pay for one :)post #11 of 1071/3/11 at 5:27pm
I'll be taking delivery of my Streamer II+ later this week. I'd be glad to hook it up to my Purity Audio Caliente and compare it to my current DAC, the Audinst HUD-MX1, and post my impressions here.post #12 of 1071/3/11 at 9:09pmQuote:
I get mine Wednesday! Can't wait. After this paycheck, I'll put down a preorder for a Schiit Lyr...then April is an 'extra paycheck month', so I'll probably spring for some LCD-2!post #13 of 1071/3/11 at 9:23pmQuote:
Splendid timing - the Caliente is on my shortlist :)
I'd like to add to the kudos Oriel has received for his prompt and helpful replies in relation to the amp. You dont have to read too many threads to find someone bitching about certain amp makers and their patchy lines of communication (no names, Ray :) ). Personally, I can sympathise with those guys, and I wonder how it doesn't get old after the 500th email from a prospective customer, but I guess that is one of the things that separates a professional operation from the rest.post #14 of 1071/4/11 at 5:36amThread Starterpost #15 of 1071/5/11 at 3:08pm
Got my Streamer II+ today and I have to say it's quite the improvement over my Audinst MX1, which is obvious (although the MX1 is a great and affordable product in its own right). Better soundstaging and detail retrieval are the most obvious improvements. I don't really believe in burning in circuits, but I'll post again after I've let the Streamer II+ run in for a while. So far, though, I'm definitely satisfied - no, impressed.
- Impressions/Opinions on HRT Music Streamer II + needed
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP... 45 seconds ago
- › BHSE - tube rolling 1 minute ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 DAP 1 minute ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 2 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 3 minutes ago
- › Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling 3 minutes ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 4 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Sorensiim
- › Noble Audio Katana by cvbcbcmv
- › Shinrico E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier by crabdog
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by dalesky
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear