I'm looking for impressions and opinions of the HRT Music Streamer II + USB DAC. Especially compared to other up to $500 USB DACs like DacMagic, RDac, Vdac. I like the simplicity of the device, the price point, and reviews online reviews seem favorable. Will be used together on IMAC based system with Meier Concerto and D7000.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productCambridge - Dac Magic - Digital to Analog Convertertagged by System, 9/21/11
- categoryDACstagged by System, 9/21/11
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by System, 9/21/11
- productHRT Music Streamer II + (Plus) High Resolution USB D/A Convertertagged by System, 9/21/11
- topicUsb Audiotagged by System, 9/21/11
Related Forum Threads
- List of DACs that work with iPad Last post on 3/22/17 at 2:35am in Portable Source Gear
- HRT Music Streamer II vs HRT Music Streamer II+ (MSII vs MSII+) Comparison / Review Last post on 3/1/17 at 11:18pm in Dedicated Source Components
- USB DACs Last post on 11/8/12 at 2:45pm in Computer Audio
- Casea Aquila USB audio Interface Last post on 3/18/13 at 2:36pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Help finding DAC for Stax Lambda Pro Last post on 8/24/12 at 11:27pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
I have had 2 pairs and both have stopped working, these aren't professional headphones and I'd stay away from them if you want to keep them longer than a year of professional use. Spend your...
just want to order one and will try the reviews once get it FBA seems be fast waiting
I have 50 hours active listening and another 150 passive/occasional on these. Equipment: Ragnarok, Gungnir, Sony CD 5 CD tray, Senn HD-600 set up for balanced Listen to Yes ('15 Remix,...
At the time this review was written the FLC 8S was listed for sale on Amazon and Musicteck’s website. Here are links for more information and purchase....
The review you are about to read is very personal and contains details some might find boring or unimportant. You have been warned. My personal search for a great headphone began with a love...
Impressions/Opinions on HRT Music Streamer II + neededpost #1 of 1071/1/11 at 8:56amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1071/1/11 at 1:23pm
I only have the + version, the one that came before the II+ and it is fantastic. Paired in your set up, it should be wonderful. And your right about the simplicity of the device. Plug and play. Plus theres no power cable to worry about.post #3 of 1071/1/11 at 3:28pmpost #4 of 1071/1/11 at 7:50pmThread Starter
Thanks guys, I've read those reviews and they look good. Will likely order from Amazon this week and compare to my Apogee Duet.......really hoping it's at least as good of a DAC if not better, would like to clear my desk of the Duet's rat nest of cables.post #5 of 1071/2/11 at 7:43amNot sure it will be as good as the Duet. I think you will have to spend a lot more than $500 to equal/improve on it. The cables are a pain but all of the Apogees have very musical sounding converters. They are sometimes accused of being a little too euphonic by the pro crowd. If you try the Streamer, let us know what you think.post #6 of 1071/2/11 at 6:32pm
I too am planning to buy this DAC (it's in my Amazon cart as we speak) - will have to use it with my lowly E9 for now, but will eventually upgrade to the Schiit Lyr.
Then the E7/E9 combo goes to a bedroom setup.post #7 of 1071/2/11 at 7:42pmpost #8 of 1071/2/11 at 9:26pm
Pulled the trigger on the HRT Music Streamer II+. It gets rave reviews.
Sorta sucks that it'll be outputting to my E9...but that'll get an upgrade in due time.
Yes....due time...*rubs hands together maniacally*post #9 of 1071/3/11 at 12:07pm
It'd be sweet to see some opamp rolling on this thing, apparently the stock opamp is nicely fit into a DIP8 socket.post #10 of 1071/3/11 at 5:14pm
I am very happy with the MSII (the base model), but I havent heard the other Streamer models. Surprised by the number of people here who still turn their noses up at USB DACs - they really need to read some of Gordon Rankin's posts over at Computer Audiophile before coming out with pronouncements re. USB vs coax vs Firewire etc. Implementation is everything, and the lollygaggers who get caught up in reciting outdated 'wisdom' will inevitably get left behind in the coming decade.
Not sure that the dual-RCA-into-mini-plug arrangement that you need for most portable amps will make everyone happy, but I like what it has done for my music. If I had to describe the sound signature in a single word, it would be 'smooth' : those looking for extreme clarity/resolution etc would be happier with another DAC. Comparing the Streamer to the Benchmark/QB-9 etc is farcical, but its surprising how many people want to engage in this type of madness. Those who want a Ferrari need to be prepared to pay for one :)post #11 of 1071/3/11 at 5:27pm
I'll be taking delivery of my Streamer II+ later this week. I'd be glad to hook it up to my Purity Audio Caliente and compare it to my current DAC, the Audinst HUD-MX1, and post my impressions here.post #12 of 1071/3/11 at 9:09pmQuote:
I get mine Wednesday! Can't wait. After this paycheck, I'll put down a preorder for a Schiit Lyr...then April is an 'extra paycheck month', so I'll probably spring for some LCD-2!post #13 of 1071/3/11 at 9:23pmQuote:
Splendid timing - the Caliente is on my shortlist :)
I'd like to add to the kudos Oriel has received for his prompt and helpful replies in relation to the amp. You dont have to read too many threads to find someone bitching about certain amp makers and their patchy lines of communication (no names, Ray :) ). Personally, I can sympathise with those guys, and I wonder how it doesn't get old after the 500th email from a prospective customer, but I guess that is one of the things that separates a professional operation from the rest.post #14 of 1071/4/11 at 5:36amThread Starterpost #15 of 1071/5/11 at 3:08pm
Got my Streamer II+ today and I have to say it's quite the improvement over my Audinst MX1, which is obvious (although the MX1 is a great and affordable product in its own right). Better soundstaging and detail retrieval are the most obvious improvements. I don't really believe in burning in circuits, but I'll post again after I've let the Streamer II+ run in for a while. So far, though, I'm definitely satisfied - no, impressed.
- Impressions/Opinions on HRT Music Streamer II + needed
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Home-Made IEMs 18 seconds ago
- › Xonar Essence STX gain not working 27 seconds ago
- › AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard... 29 seconds ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - Newer Thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! 4 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 4 minutes ago
- › Rockbox Xduoo X3 5 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear