Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo WA2 - headphones, tubes and mods - super duper thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo WA2 - headphones, tubes and mods - super duper thread

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 

Hi!

 
As I unpatiently await the coming of my recently ordered WA2, I start this thread for present and future WA2 owners and anybody else who want to contribute. 
 
I hope this thread will be a place to discuss which headphones, sources and tubes that match the WA2. 
 
Since I haven't heard it myself, I'll start by referring to some reviews and selected stuff I've read before finally ordering one. 
 
Her is a picture because I think it is so pretty :-)
 
WA2 font side.jpg
 
Here are some reviews
 
 
Since WA2 is an OTL-construction, which generally is regarded unsuited for low impedance phones), it's quite remarkable that both cnet and enjoythemusic seems to find the Denon DH-D7000 (impedance 29 ohm) to be a very good match with the WA2. 
The HD650 is certainly also said to be good with the WA2. Also, the it's claimed by skylab here on the forum to be a fabolous match with the T1. (I hope so I bought it because of the T1. Also have the HD650). 
 
Edit: Other threads on the WA2 - thought them to be dead.. anyway - I just want to gather information..
 
 
 
I'm also getting curious of the D7000 because of it's bassy reputation... anybody tried it on the WA2? 
 
So - anybody heard the WA2? How did/does it sound? With what phones? Tubes? You are herby invited :-)

Edited by ardilla - 12/30/10 at 4:19pm
post #2 of 35
So how do you like the WA2/T1 combination so far?
post #3 of 35

Well, since this thread has just been brought back from the dead, now I get a place to say that I just fired my WA2, plugged in my HD-600, dropped a Sinatra-Jobim CD and my mind was just blown away....

 

I was considering buying the Grado RS-1 but this combo just sounds phenomenal!...long live the WA2!

post #4 of 35
Thread Starter 

Ha - I had forgotten I started this thread! 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houbi View Post

So how do you like the WA2/T1 combination so far?

The T1 got too bright for me. Not the WA2's faoult. I tried it with several other amps. 

 

Still have the WA2, though. Works great with all my phones (HD650, HE-500, LCD-2r1, LCD-3 and Fostex t50RP). I wrote a comparison between the WA2 and WA22 http://www.head-fi.org/t/615810/the-beauty-and-the-beast-woo-wa2-vs-wa22

 

The WA2 is also a nice preamp I've realized - used it in front of some stax gear with great result.  :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_equalizer View Post

Well, since this thread has just been brought back from the dead, now I get a place to say that I just fired my WA2, plugged in my HD-600, dropped a Sinatra-Jobim CD and my mind was just blown away....

 

I was considering buying the Grado RS-1 but this combo just sounds phenomenal!...long live the WA2!

 

Cool! Congratualtions. Hail hail!

post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post

Ha - I had forgotten I started this thread! 

 

The T1 got too bright for me. Not the WA2's faoult. I tried it with several other amps. 

 

Still have the WA2, though. Works great with all my phones (HD650, HE-500, LCD-2r1, LCD-3 and Fostex t50RP). I wrote a comparison between the WA2 and WA22 http://www.head-fi.org/t/615810/the-beauty-and-the-beast-woo-wa2-vs-wa22

 

The WA2 is also a nice preamp I've realized - used it in front of some stax gear with great result.  :)

 

 

Cool! Congratualtions. Hail hail!


 Wow! You lucky you! A WA2  *AND*  a WA22...   And I sold my WA6 because I thought having the two was just overkill.

 

I agree about the preamp function, I use mine with a couple of gainclone power amps, and the combo delivers really great sound. A friend of mine who listened to it recently said that he loved the sound of the system and the fact that the only control is the volume knob :)

 

As a headphone amp I'm absolutely delighted with what it can do paired with the HD-600. The sound is so detailed yet not harsh and so lush yet not mellow; it's also quite 3-dimensional without the need of any crossfeed processing.  I should use it more frequently with the Grado's and the K701 but I tend to use those more with my DIY hybrid.

 

When I bought mine I also bought the power tube upgrade of a pair of NOS Sylvania 7236 tubes. I don't remember the specs but those are supposed to deliver more power than the stock 6080.

 

It's good to read that it can handle the LCD cans, I've been eying those for some time but I thought I'd need to get a Burson or a Schiit (or finally get around to building a Dynalo) to handle those. I guess my wife and wallet won't consider that a good thing :)

 

 

cheers!

post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post

Ha - I had forgotten I started this thread! 

 

The T1 got too bright for me. Not the WA2's faoult. I tried it with several other amps. 

 

Firstly, I like you a lot ardilla.

 

Secondly, harsh, hmmm... What tubes did you try with T1 and WA2?

post #7 of 35
Thread Starter 

With the T1: all stck, then: Stock rectifiers, Mullard 6492 and some 6H13C's recommended, both the latter recommended for their "warmth". The cheap Ukrainian bought 6H13 are really Great though, and bestå too. Zero noise.


Edited by ardilla - 10/26/12 at 5:19am
post #8 of 35
Thread Starter 

7236 delivers approx 10% extra power according to Jack Wu. I have no problems with the 6080 driving the orthos either. I kept both because of the review, now I really have troubles seperating with either... The WA2 have the extra pre-amp out, which makes it fit in several places. I realized that inserting it before just an ntegrated or another headamp can do the magic. 

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_equalizer View Post


 Wow! You lucky you! A WA2  *AND*  a WA22...   And I sold my WA6 because I thought having the two was just overkill.

 

I agree about the preamp function, I use mine with a couple of gainclone power amps, and the combo delivers really great sound. A friend of mine who listened to it recently said that he loved the sound of the system and the fact that the only control is the volume knob :)

 

As a headphone amp I'm absolutely delighted with what it can do paired with the HD-600. The sound is so detailed yet not harsh and so lush yet not mellow; it's also quite 3-dimensional without the need of any crossfeed processing.  I should use it more frequently with the Grado's and the K701 but I tend to use those more with my DIY hybrid.

 

When I bought mine I also bought the power tube upgrade of a pair of NOS Sylvania 7236 tubes. I don't remember the specs but those are supposed to deliver more power than the stock 6080.

 

It's good to read that it can handle the LCD cans, I've been eying those for some time but I thought I'd need to get a Burson or a Schiit (or finally get around to building a Dynalo) to handle those. I guess my wife and wallet won't consider that a good thing :)

 

 

cheers!

 

Edited by ardilla - 10/26/12 at 5:19am
post #9 of 35

*I made a bad call, which was not appreciated*


Edited by Norway - 10/26/12 at 5:20am
post #10 of 35
I'm really looking forward to the WA2, big excitement smily_headphones1.gif

Should i go with the stock tubes for pairing with the T1 or is there a tube upgrade offered by Woo which i just MUST order together with the WA2?
post #11 of 35
Thread Starter 

The stock tubes vary, but I think there are many nice cheap tubes. I think the better thing is to start with stock tubes and use that as a reference for finding upgrades to tune the WA2  your sound of your preference. e.g. I really like the Svetlana WInged 6H13C tubes

 

 

1000

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houbi View Post

I'm really looking forward to the WA2, big excitement smily_headphones1.gif
Should i go with the stock tubes for pairing with the T1 or is there a tube upgrade offered by Woo which i just MUST order together with the WA2?
post #12 of 35
Oh boy! I decided to listen to a couple of songs in my WA2 using my Grados before leaving for work... I'm already running late and can't stop listening!

It's strange how I've enjoyed this amp so much more in the last week than I ever did in the 18 months that it's been with me.

I can see how you had trouble dropping it when you got the WA22. It was a real struggle for me doing away with my WA6 and to this day I still miss it sometimes.

Those Svetlana tubes look interesting. $50.00 USD for a couple doesn't seem too bad and since from reading your review I think we enjoy similar qualities in sound, I think I'll enjoy them.

Anyway I'd better be going back to my lis... to the office, I mean!

cheers!
post #13 of 35
...so i will start with the stock tubes and experiment later on smily_headphones1.gif
post #14 of 35
Thread Starter 

I never heard the a Grado with the WA2. Cool to hear that they work so well together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_equalizer View Post

Oh boy! I decided to listen to a couple of songs in my WA2 using my Grados before leaving for work... I'm already running late and can't stop listening!
It's strange how I've enjoyed this amp so much more in the last week than I ever did in the 18 months that it's been with me.
I can see how you had trouble dropping it when you got the WA22. It was a real struggle for me doing away with my WA6 and to this day I still miss it sometimes.
Those Svetlana tubes look interesting. $50.00 USD for a couple doesn't seem too bad and since from reading your review I think we enjoy similar qualities in sound, I think I'll enjoy them.
Anyway I'd better be going back to my lis... to the office, I mean!
cheers!
post #15 of 35

...just made the payment for my WA2 and HPS-R, all in black. beeing so damn excited!!!  happy_face1.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo WA2 - headphones, tubes and mods - super duper thread