what do you guys think I am trying to find the best all around headphone for gaming/music. I have heard that the audio technica headphones do fairly well for gaming and they have a really nice sound stage. I need to know the pro and cons of the open vs closed ear headphones. Is the extra 100 dollars or so worth the open design? Also, where can i order these for the guaranteed lowest price?
Related Forum Threads
- $200,$300 headphone, DT770 80ohm for gaming/music or? Last post on 2/28/12 at 4:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- Move over AD700 and other mid-fi headphones, Onn is in town!!!... Who??? (Canadian's REJOICE!) Last post on 10/14/13 at 8:04am in Headphones (full-size)
- THE definite pair of cans for gaming, music, AND movies? What do you think? Last post on 6/26/10 at 6:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help choosing over ear headphones under 200 Last post on 7/12/12 at 12:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD600 or NEW Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Last post on 6/19/12 at 6:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
For the first time I'm actually digging Beats. I've owned and tried different audiophile headphones. Sony MA900, Audio Technica AD900x/AD700x, V-Moda Crossfade M-100 and Sennheiser PC360 are some...
I really enjoyed this headset for the short period I used them. After only a couple of months of very light use (walking to the office), the headband broke at the left hinge. Unfortunately the shop...
These in ears are as cheap as it gets and you get what you pay for. Though when compared to similarly priced in ears a few things stand out. Build quality and looks are good. It comes with...
Considering the poor review level here I felt I had to post a review: I spent some time checking reviews of these AKG K451 headphones, and found conflicting comments. What I can do is confirm...
Summary: These headphones give an accurate picture of what the producers had in mind when they mixed their music because they have a well-balanced, present, but not over-powering bass. Songs...
ATH AD900 vs ATH A900post #1 of 612/29/10 at 3:39pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 612/29/10 at 3:49pm
Neither headphone gets a lot of keystrokes here, but both are highly regarded - the AD900 is generally regarded as a better choice for gaming. I havent heard the A900, but my time with the A500 convinced me that the first few explosions in a shooter might be fantastic, but it soon gets tiring. For music, some complain that the AD900 doesnt have enough bass impact for them, but those who perservere are soon won over by the overall balance of these headphones. I dont have your budget, but my opinion is that its worth the extra to get the open phones.
estreeterpost #3 of 612/29/10 at 4:11pm
I don't know about the AD900 vs. A900, but in AD700 vs. A700 the open design sounds a lot better. The biggest difference is the sound stage (which is rather important in gaming). Regardless, if you want a lot of bass, neither the AD900 nor the A900 will do it for you.post #4 of 612/29/10 at 4:18pmThread Starter
Quote:Originally Posted by violinvirtuoso
I don't know about the AD900 vs. A900, but in AD700 vs. A700 the open design sounds a lot better. The biggest difference is the sound stage (which is rather important in gaming). Regardless, if you want a lot of bass, neither the AD900 nor the A900 will do it for you.
Do you know what other headphones that their bass is comparable to? I would imagine that it is much better than the Sh***y Astro a40's i had. I also had a pair of the turtle beach X4 headphones and their bass wasnt anything stellar but still better than that of their astro counterparts. I am not looking for Dj head thumping headphones but something that can deliver a nice amount of bass would be nice while maintaining a clean soundstage. From what i have read the AD900's have a decent amount of bass. Perhaps you know of something that is similar in productivity in the same price range ?
Edited by Lickmycans - 12/29/10 at 4:21pmpost #5 of 612/29/10 at 10:33pm
I've got A900s and AD1000s. I generally prefer the ADs, unless I want to block communication with my wife (outside noise is blocked a lot easier with the A900s) or listening to bass heavy music.post #6 of 612/29/10 at 11:33pm
I used to have the A900 (little brother broke them :( :( ). I never the felt that the bass was especially lacking. However wearing them for extended periods may get uncomfortable, as the heat will build up. You'll also need to replace the cheap pleather pads on a regular basis. However the closed design will prevent you from annoying your entourage if you're gaming where other people do stuff.
I'm also currently on the lookout for new phones (AD900, AD2000 or W1000x, haven't decided yet) so I am interested in what others will reply in the "where to get them" department.
- ATH AD900 vs ATH A900
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 1 minute ago
- › Review of soundmagic es10 , es18 , creative ep600 , cowon ce1 , jbl... 2 minutes ago
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 5 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones 6 minutes ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 311 IEMs compared (HiSoundAudio BA100 added... 10 minutes ago
- › Ibasso DX50 + Rockbox finally here 11 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.8 12 minutes ago
- › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation +... 12 minutes ago
- › Beats Studio Wireless Over-Ear Headphone by gl0ry
- › AKG K619 Premium DJ Headphones with Mic (Black) by jonnablaze
- › Cowon EM1 In-Earphone by vaibhavp
- › AKG K451 High-Performance Foldable Mini Headset (Black) by subwoofer
- › Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone by aeromaniac
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude