what do you guys think I am trying to find the best all around headphone for gaming/music. I have heard that the audio technica headphones do fairly well for gaming and they have a really nice sound stage. I need to know the pro and cons of the open vs closed ear headphones. Is the extra 100 dollars or so worth the open design? Also, where can i order these for the guaranteed lowest price?
Related Forum Threads
- $200,$300 headphone, DT770 80ohm for gaming/music or? Last post on 2/28/12 at 4:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- Move over AD700 and other mid-fi headphones, Onn is in town!!!... Who??? (Canadian's REJOICE!) Last post on 10/14/13 at 8:04am in Headphones (full-size)
- THE definite pair of cans for gaming, music, AND movies? What do you think? Last post on 6/26/10 at 6:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help choosing over ear headphones under 200 Last post on 7/12/12 at 12:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD600 or NEW Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Last post on 6/19/12 at 6:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Intro This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great...
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
ATH AD900 vs ATH A900post #1 of 612/29/10 at 3:39pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 612/29/10 at 3:49pm
Neither headphone gets a lot of keystrokes here, but both are highly regarded - the AD900 is generally regarded as a better choice for gaming. I havent heard the A900, but my time with the A500 convinced me that the first few explosions in a shooter might be fantastic, but it soon gets tiring. For music, some complain that the AD900 doesnt have enough bass impact for them, but those who perservere are soon won over by the overall balance of these headphones. I dont have your budget, but my opinion is that its worth the extra to get the open phones.
estreeterpost #3 of 612/29/10 at 4:11pm
I don't know about the AD900 vs. A900, but in AD700 vs. A700 the open design sounds a lot better. The biggest difference is the sound stage (which is rather important in gaming). Regardless, if you want a lot of bass, neither the AD900 nor the A900 will do it for you.post #4 of 612/29/10 at 4:18pmThread Starter
Quote:Originally Posted by violinvirtuoso
I don't know about the AD900 vs. A900, but in AD700 vs. A700 the open design sounds a lot better. The biggest difference is the sound stage (which is rather important in gaming). Regardless, if you want a lot of bass, neither the AD900 nor the A900 will do it for you.
Do you know what other headphones that their bass is comparable to? I would imagine that it is much better than the Sh***y Astro a40's i had. I also had a pair of the turtle beach X4 headphones and their bass wasnt anything stellar but still better than that of their astro counterparts. I am not looking for Dj head thumping headphones but something that can deliver a nice amount of bass would be nice while maintaining a clean soundstage. From what i have read the AD900's have a decent amount of bass. Perhaps you know of something that is similar in productivity in the same price range ?
Edited by Lickmycans - 12/29/10 at 4:21pmpost #5 of 612/29/10 at 10:33pm
I've got A900s and AD1000s. I generally prefer the ADs, unless I want to block communication with my wife (outside noise is blocked a lot easier with the A900s) or listening to bass heavy music.post #6 of 612/29/10 at 11:33pm
I used to have the A900 (little brother broke them :( :( ). I never the felt that the bass was especially lacking. However wearing them for extended periods may get uncomfortable, as the heat will build up. You'll also need to replace the cheap pleather pads on a regular basis. However the closed design will prevent you from annoying your entourage if you're gaming where other people do stuff.
I'm also currently on the lookout for new phones (AD900, AD2000 or W1000x, haven't decided yet) so I am interested in what others will reply in the "where to get them" department.
- ATH AD900 vs ATH A900
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 2 minutes ago
- › DT880 vs DT990 | Comparison & Review 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › First Closed Back Headphones <$200? 3 minutes ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 3 minutes ago
- › Question about tube amps 5 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-C300 Urban Raver Impressions 5 minutes ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by SocialCapital