what do you guys think I am trying to find the best all around headphone for gaming/music. I have heard that the audio technica headphones do fairly well for gaming and they have a really nice sound stage. I need to know the pro and cons of the open vs closed ear headphones. Is the extra 100 dollars or so worth the open design? Also, where can i order these for the guaranteed lowest price?
Related Forum Threads
- $200,$300 headphone, DT770 80ohm for gaming/music or? Last post on 2/28/12 at 4:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- Move over AD700 and other mid-fi headphones, Onn is in town!!!... Who??? (Canadian's REJOICE!) Last post on 10/14/13 at 8:04am in Headphones (full-size)
- THE definite pair of cans for gaming, music, AND movies? What do you think? Last post on 6/26/10 at 6:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help choosing over ear headphones under 200 Last post on 7/12/12 at 12:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD600 or NEW Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Last post on 8/28/14 at 6:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Wireless headphones…bluetooth even…last time I tried anything wireless was my cordless phone and before that was probably back in the “70’s” with an "all in one headphone with FM/AM radio", anyway...
So, I did a lot of reading when it came to this purchase, however, no amount of reviewing can objectively explain what you are actually going to hear when you plug them in - so I said 'screw it!'...
MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 – initial impressions Many thanks to @Tony-Hifi from HiFiHeadphones.co.uk for adding me to the UK tour for these earphones – the impressions below are based on the time I...
I am very glad that ONKYO released their new line of headphones into the North American market this June. I had been very curious about trying the ONKYO sound, but knowing new models were soon...
I love this little thing I really do. I bought it for myself as a present for a professional milestone. I can't tell you that it is worth almost 200 bucks, that's your call, but I don't regret the...
ATH AD900 vs ATH A900post #1 of 612/29/10 at 3:39pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 612/29/10 at 3:49pm
Neither headphone gets a lot of keystrokes here, but both are highly regarded - the AD900 is generally regarded as a better choice for gaming. I havent heard the A900, but my time with the A500 convinced me that the first few explosions in a shooter might be fantastic, but it soon gets tiring. For music, some complain that the AD900 doesnt have enough bass impact for them, but those who perservere are soon won over by the overall balance of these headphones. I dont have your budget, but my opinion is that its worth the extra to get the open phones.
estreeterpost #3 of 612/29/10 at 4:11pm
I don't know about the AD900 vs. A900, but in AD700 vs. A700 the open design sounds a lot better. The biggest difference is the sound stage (which is rather important in gaming). Regardless, if you want a lot of bass, neither the AD900 nor the A900 will do it for you.post #4 of 612/29/10 at 4:18pmThread Starter
Quote:Originally Posted by violinvirtuoso
I don't know about the AD900 vs. A900, but in AD700 vs. A700 the open design sounds a lot better. The biggest difference is the sound stage (which is rather important in gaming). Regardless, if you want a lot of bass, neither the AD900 nor the A900 will do it for you.
Do you know what other headphones that their bass is comparable to? I would imagine that it is much better than the Sh***y Astro a40's i had. I also had a pair of the turtle beach X4 headphones and their bass wasnt anything stellar but still better than that of their astro counterparts. I am not looking for Dj head thumping headphones but something that can deliver a nice amount of bass would be nice while maintaining a clean soundstage. From what i have read the AD900's have a decent amount of bass. Perhaps you know of something that is similar in productivity in the same price range ?
Edited by Lickmycans - 12/29/10 at 4:21pmpost #5 of 612/29/10 at 10:33pm
I've got A900s and AD1000s. I generally prefer the ADs, unless I want to block communication with my wife (outside noise is blocked a lot easier with the A900s) or listening to bass heavy music.post #6 of 612/29/10 at 11:33pm
I used to have the A900 (little brother broke them :( :( ). I never the felt that the bass was especially lacking. However wearing them for extended periods may get uncomfortable, as the heat will build up. You'll also need to replace the cheap pleather pads on a regular basis. However the closed design will prevent you from annoying your entourage if you're gaming where other people do stuff.
I'm also currently on the lookout for new phones (AD900, AD2000 or W1000x, haven't decided yet) so I am interested in what others will reply in the "where to get them" department.
- ATH AD900 vs ATH A900
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Computer volume variation vs. DAC volume variation 5 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 47 seconds ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 1 minute ago
- › Rockbox Xduoo X3 1 minute ago
- › De'Mun / Bengkel Macro 2 minutes ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added... 4 minutes ago
- › Flare Audio R2Pro 6 minutes ago
- › FitEar TO GO! & Universal Series --- Suyama's custom IEM, made... 6 minutes ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 10 minutes ago
- › Popular Classical Music 11 minutes ago
- › Bluedio U (UFO) PPS 8 Drivers Over-ear Bluetooth Wireless Headphone... by Rob80b
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by desperategraves
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by Jackpot77
- › ONKYO sealed wireless headphone Bluetooth-enabled / NFC support /... by Sonic Defender
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by selfdude
- › Sparkos Labs SS3601 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by selfdude
- › Cascadia Audio Talos by keanex
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by fjhuerta
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...