what do you guys think I am trying to find the best all around headphone for gaming/music. I have heard that the audio technica headphones do fairly well for gaming and they have a really nice sound stage. I need to know the pro and cons of the open vs closed ear headphones. Is the extra 100 dollars or so worth the open design? Also, where can i order these for the guaranteed lowest price?
Related Forum Threads
- $200,$300 headphone, DT770 80ohm for gaming/music or? Last post on 2/28/12 at 4:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- Move over AD700 and other mid-fi headphones, Onn is in town!!!... Who??? (Canadian's REJOICE!) Last post on 10/14/13 at 8:04am in Headphones (full-size)
- THE definite pair of cans for gaming, music, AND movies? What do you think? Last post on 6/26/10 at 6:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help choosing over ear headphones under 200 Last post on 7/12/12 at 12:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD600 or NEW Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Last post on 8/28/14 at 6:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This review will cover the X5ii, comparing it to the Pono player and the original X5. I have a Pono in my possession now. I unfortunately sold my original X5 prior to receiving the review sample,...
Alright, so I am not an audiophile by any means, my entire experience of headphelia is just using cheap IEMs but after trying some expensive beats, I knew I needed something more. And if your like...
This is a review of Audeze EL-8C closed back planar magnetic full size headphones: https://www.audeze.com/products/el-8-collection/el-8-closed-back, with a bonus review of Audeze Deckard desktop...
Preface: Nothing too technical here; just wanted to give my impression as someone that had to "downgrade" from the HE-400's recently and has tried dozens of full-sized cans. I have had these things...
This is my second actual IEM purchase, and I have to say, I'm very surprised. These have a more enjoyable and pleasurable listening experience compared to the Shure SE425, which sounded dry and...
ATH AD900 vs ATH A900post #1 of 612/29/10 at 3:39pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 612/29/10 at 3:49pm
Neither headphone gets a lot of keystrokes here, but both are highly regarded - the AD900 is generally regarded as a better choice for gaming. I havent heard the A900, but my time with the A500 convinced me that the first few explosions in a shooter might be fantastic, but it soon gets tiring. For music, some complain that the AD900 doesnt have enough bass impact for them, but those who perservere are soon won over by the overall balance of these headphones. I dont have your budget, but my opinion is that its worth the extra to get the open phones.
estreeterpost #3 of 612/29/10 at 4:11pm
I don't know about the AD900 vs. A900, but in AD700 vs. A700 the open design sounds a lot better. The biggest difference is the sound stage (which is rather important in gaming). Regardless, if you want a lot of bass, neither the AD900 nor the A900 will do it for you.post #4 of 612/29/10 at 4:18pmThread Starter
Quote:Originally Posted by violinvirtuoso
I don't know about the AD900 vs. A900, but in AD700 vs. A700 the open design sounds a lot better. The biggest difference is the sound stage (which is rather important in gaming). Regardless, if you want a lot of bass, neither the AD900 nor the A900 will do it for you.
Do you know what other headphones that their bass is comparable to? I would imagine that it is much better than the Sh***y Astro a40's i had. I also had a pair of the turtle beach X4 headphones and their bass wasnt anything stellar but still better than that of their astro counterparts. I am not looking for Dj head thumping headphones but something that can deliver a nice amount of bass would be nice while maintaining a clean soundstage. From what i have read the AD900's have a decent amount of bass. Perhaps you know of something that is similar in productivity in the same price range ?
Edited by Lickmycans - 12/29/10 at 4:21pmpost #5 of 612/29/10 at 10:33pm
I've got A900s and AD1000s. I generally prefer the ADs, unless I want to block communication with my wife (outside noise is blocked a lot easier with the A900s) or listening to bass heavy music.post #6 of 612/29/10 at 11:33pm
I used to have the A900 (little brother broke them :( :( ). I never the felt that the bass was especially lacking. However wearing them for extended periods may get uncomfortable, as the heat will build up. You'll also need to replace the cheap pleather pads on a regular basis. However the closed design will prevent you from annoying your entourage if you're gaming where other people do stuff.
I'm also currently on the lookout for new phones (AD900, AD2000 or W1000x, haven't decided yet) so I am interested in what others will reply in the "where to get them" department.
- ATH AD900 vs ATH A900
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 16 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 17 seconds ago
- › Upgrading to good speakers. Please help newbie to understand a... 31 seconds ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 49 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 53 seconds ago
- › The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › Best IEM under £60/$90 for Indie/Electronic 2 minutes ago
- › Westone W60 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by LandonO
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by twister6
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by RushNerd
- › Klipsch Image X10 Noise-Isolating Earphone by achelgeson
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by krishtrinity1
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by nauhid
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by RedJohn456
- › Alpha & Delta AD01 by nmatheis
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic by Sentinei
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3