or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 643

post #9631 of 34329
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

 

Well my SR80i's have Vibrolabs (classic) wooden cups on them with (L) cushions, and in my honest opinion they DEFINITELY hold their own against the RS1i' price/performance. I've never heard the 225's so I couldn't comment.

 

Hey! Any chance you could elaborate on this a little?

 

Would you say the difference between the two is significant or just incremental (ignoring price, purely the sound)? e.g. swapping between them is it immediately clear the RS1i is better in every way, or do you need to listen more closely to perceive the differences?

 

I'm debating a move up the Grado ladder, but I also have some 225i and a set of vibro cups and I'm wondering if I should just save my money and stick the wood cups on the 225i ... I don't want to spend £££s on incremental improvements, I want to be blown away :D

 

Thanks.

post #9632 of 34329
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post
 

 

Granted I haven't heard anything higher than the MS2, I'd say the MS2 and SR225. Mellowness and thicker mid-lows of the 225swith the clarity/energy of the MS2s would be exciting!

i thought everyone knew about this thread ! lol, welcome aboard

when i had the ms1, and 225 together, the sound i wished for was a combination of the ms1 and 225i, i found it in the ms2i

i know where there is a rs1i, ps500, and ms2i not to far from b'ham , we may have to try to get together , 5 different grado's between us !

post #9633 of 34329
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnottj View Post
 

 

Hey! Any chance you could elaborate on this a little?

 

Would you say the difference between the two is significant or just incremental (ignoring price, purely the sound)? e.g. swapping between them is it immediately clear the RS1i is better in every way, or do you need to listen more closely to perceive the differences?

 

I'm debating a move up the Grado ladder, but I also have some 225i and a set of vibro cups and I'm wondering if I should just save my money and stick the wood cups on the 225i ... I don't want to spend £££s on incremental improvements, I want to be blown away :D

 

Thanks.

 

I also had the same questions that you are asking, but the price is a big thing because if I wasn't going to hear much of a difference in the sound, then why pay that much more? So it absolutely matters. You ARE going to get incremental improvement, thats just the way this hobby goes. You are probably not going to be blown away being that you already own the 225's, you know what Grados sound like already. You will notice an immediate difference (at least I did) between my 80's and 325's (which I own). I was most afraid that I was paying for the same drivers that my 80's have in them, but this is definitely NOT the case. I love all of my Grados, each of them sound different from the other, and yes I'm very happy I purchased the RS1i's for the subtle but big differences in these headphones (if this makes sense). They are very sweet sounding to me and would never part with them. And mind you that at this point I only have about 40hrs on them, and every time I listen to them (like all my Grados), they sound better and better. I've listened to songs that I've heard countless times (my favorites of all genres) and definitely hear details I've never heard. My best advice would be to see if you can demo them and compare them to your 225's and see if the difference is worth it to you. Even though they are expensive (to me at least), they are worth it! Hope this helps you out, its hard to tell someone if something is worth it for them, But like I've said above, I felt the same way you do, but bit the bullet and I'm very glad I did!

post #9634 of 34329
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

 

I also had the same questions that you are asking, but the price is a big thing because if I wasn't going to hear much of a difference in the sound, then why pay that much more? So it absolutely matters. You ARE going to get incremental improvement, thats just the way this hobby goes. You are probably not going to be blown away being that you already own the 225's, you know what Grados sound like already. You will notice an immediate difference (at least I did) between my 80's and 325's (which I own). I was most afraid that I was paying for the same drivers that my 80's have in them, but this is definitely NOT the case. I love all of my Grados, each of them sound different from the other, and yes I'm very happy I purchased the RS1i's for the subtle but big differences in these headphones (if this makes sense). They are very sweet sounding to me and would never part with them. And mind you that at this point I only have about 40hrs on them, and every time I listen to them (like all my Grados), they sound better and better. I've listened to songs that I've heard countless times (my favorites of all genres) and definitely hear details I've never heard. My best advice would be to see if you can demo them and compare them to your 225's and see if the difference is worth it to you. Even though they are expensive (to me at least), they are worth it! Hope this helps you out, its hard to tell someone if something is worth it for them, But like I've said above, I felt the same way you do, but bit the bullet and I'm very glad I did!

 

 

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

 

I've got an MS1i along with the 225i and, until recently, I also had some 325is, which were in the Vibro cups. While I found differences between all three, I couldn't honestly say I thought any one was significantly 'better', they just seem like slightly different flavours of the same sound.

 

On the whole, i think I prefer the slightly darker sound of the 225i, although the MS1i and the 325i both have/had a slightly wider soundstage, which I liked (wonder if this may be down to the lack of buttons on the drivers?)

 

I'm sure an RS1i would be a serious step up ... I think the sensible part of my brain is trying to convince me that it won't be worth the money and i should just stick with the 225i :smile:

post #9635 of 34329
Do it!
post #9636 of 34329
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnottj View Post
 

 

 

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

 

I've got an MS1i along with the 225i and, until recently, I also had some 325is, which were in the Vibro cups. While I found differences between all three, I couldn't honestly say I thought any one was significantly 'better', they just seem like slightly different flavours of the same sound.

 

On the whole, i think I prefer the slightly darker sound of the 225i, although the MS1i and the 325i both have/had a slightly wider soundstage, which I liked (wonder if this may be down to the lack of buttons on the drivers?)

 

I'm sure an RS1i would be a serious step up ... I think the sensible part of my brain is trying to convince me that it won't be worth the money and i should just stick with the 225i :smile:

 

That is what the sensible part of my brain tried to do to me...but the senseless part of my brain took me into N.Y.C and made me buy them, and I'm so glad, because the price left my brain after about 10hrs of burn-in!

And yes I agree, all three of my Grados sound different from one another, and I like them all. I don't like to use the word better either. I'm sure you would like them (no doubt), the question is it worth the price for you!


Edited by joseph69 - 10/5/13 at 5:18pm
post #9637 of 34329

Great surprise was waiting for me when I got off of work today.

 

My amp, came.

 

 

 

Kudos to you Dr. Lloyd Peppard....you are a genius  :-)


Edited by whirlwind - 10/5/13 at 5:44pm
post #9638 of 34329
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 

Great surprise was waiting for me when I got off of work today.

 

My amp, came.

 

 

and ?? lol

post #9639 of 34329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob54 View Post

Do it!

you know you want to!


Edited by jaywillin - 10/5/13 at 6:15pm
post #9640 of 34329
Anyone here uses Grado for hip hop, and some bass heavy tracks? I actually like mine with those genres...tongue.gif They sound very good with these genres! XD
post #9641 of 34329
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post

Anyone here uses Grado for hip hop, and some bass heavy tracks? I actually like mine with those genres...tongue.gif They sound very good with these genres! XD

Which model are you using?
post #9642 of 34329
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post

Which model are you using?
SR60i smily_headphones1.gif
post #9643 of 34329
As an FYI, there is a pair of used RS2i for $295 on EBay as buy it now with $9.50 for shipping. A steal for about the same cost as the Magnums.

No affiliation with the seller, just passing as deal along. I can't be tempted to buy another Grado for now.
post #9644 of 34329
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post


SR60i smily_headphones1.gif

 

You sir are a PS500 lover in the making! lol

post #9645 of 34329
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

As an FYI, there is a pair of used RS2i for $295 on EBay as buy it now with $9.50 for shipping. A steal for about the same cost as the Magnums.

No affiliation with the seller, just passing as deal along. I can't be tempted to buy another Grado for now.

stop it ! stop it ! :eek:

i haven't been on ebay since i got the rs1, (well, i did get some tubes) lol

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!