Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 628

post #9406 of 24597
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

 

I totally understand, I on the other hand only have myself to support, so I went to N.Y.C. today and purchased the RS1i's and they are on my head right know. The only comment I can give right now is that when I plugged them into the LD1+ the left driver was not working, so I turned the 1/4 terminated end and the channel came on, so then I cleaned it with alcohol and moved the cables around while they were playing, and I don't seem to have any problems with them. So like I said, I just purchased them and I will wait a while for some burn in time (which I do believe in) to compare them with my 80's and 325's. As far as right out of the box, yes they do sound nice, but my main concern is the price margin from the 80's and the 325's, so I'll need some time with them (obviously).

whether its burn in, or psycho acoustical , (i think some of both) the sound i perceive initially , then over the long term, is often very different.

'm looking forward to your thoughts on the rs1i, you should have a good handle on how you like them by the time i get mine!

post #9407 of 24597
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 

whether its burn in, or psycho acoustical , (i think some of both) the sound i perceive initially , then over the long term, is often very different.

'm looking forward to your thoughts on the rs1i, you should have a good handle on how you like them by the time i get mine!

 

Yes I do agree, whether it be one or the other, over time they do sound different. I intend to spend a few hours with them every night with different souces/amp/dacs and listen to hear if I think the price difference is worth it. I can immediately hear they clearly have that Grado sound signature that I love, for the half hour that I listened to them. I'll get back to listening later, in the meantime they are hanging upside down from a hanger so the cord can straighten out and relax from being packaged.

 

And also the (L) cushions feel much softer than when I purchased them for my 80's, or the ones that came with the 325's, which had to be worn for awhile before they softened up, even after washing them (don't know why). 


Edited by joseph69 - 9/18/13 at 12:41pm
post #9408 of 24597
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

...  As far as right out of the box, yes they do sound nice, but my main concern is the price margin from the 80's and the 325's, so I'll need some time with them (obviously).

 

Congratulations.  If after some use and adjusting to the signature,  you'll be able to make another evaluation.  If you love the RS1i, but are still concerned about the cost gap, then why not sell the SR-325?  If, in your mind, you have picked out a headphone that is superior and you enjoy it much more, then I think returning it due to cost reasons is a bit crazy.  Then again, if it's the fact that you need to feed yourself, your family or have other needs for your money, then holding onto the RS1i would seem like a not-so-good option.

 

Enjoy!

post #9409 of 24597
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

 

I totally understand, I on the other hand only have myself to support, so I went to N.Y.C. today and purchased the RS1i's and they are on my head right know. The only comment I can give right now is that when I plugged them into the LD1+ the left driver was not working, so I turned the 1/4 terminated end and the channel came on, so then I cleaned it with alcohol and moved the cables around while they were playing, and I don't seem to have any problems with them. So like I said, I just purchased them and I will wait a while for some burn in time (which I do believe in) to compare them with my 80's and 325's. As far as right out of the box, yes they do sound nice, but my main concern is the price margin from the 80's and the 325's, so I'll need some time with them (obviously).

 

 

Congrats on the new RS1is. :)  I liked mine right out of the box, but I think they are still in the process of being run in.  I usually manage an hour or 90 minutes a day on them, and I've had them for about a month or so.  I wasn't sure I'd like the l-pads after reading varying comments about them, but they seem quite soft to me and don't hurt my ears at all.  I tried my spare pair of flats with them and went straight back to the l-pads.

 

One good thing is that if you decide they are not worth the difference in price, you can always sell them here.

post #9410 of 24597

whew !

just had one of "those" moments ! (and with spotify)

listening to the allman brothers , fillmore east, whipping post, now i've heard it a million times

but just now, with the 500's, the lyr, and UBER bifrost,the board arrived yesterday,

the sound stopped me dead in my tracks, had been browsing around head-fi, the web in general

i just sat back, closed my eyes, listened.  awesome !!

post #9411 of 24597

My factory refurbished Sr225's are starting to settle down and get burned-in (never really liked that term) and I have to say they are the sweetest sounding Grado's I have ever heard. Zero harshness and just as smooth as you could imagine. I have my son bringing back my 225i's next week so I can listen to them back to back, but I really wonder why Grado felt the need to (i)mprove on the original.

post #9412 of 24597
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 

whew !

just had one of "those" moments ! (and with spotify)

listening to the allman brothers , fillmore east, whipping post, now i've heard it a million times

but just now, with the 500's, the lyr, and UBER bifrost,the board arrived yesterday,

the sound stopped me dead in my tracks, had been browsing around head-fi, the web in general

i just sat back, closed my eyes, listened.  awesome !!

 

I've had a few of those moments with the 225i's, straight out of my receiver, also using Spotify.  Sometimes Spotify delivers a pretty good experience.

 

What stuck out at you with that recording?

post #9413 of 24597
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post
 

 

I've had a few of those moments with the 225i's, straight out of my receiver, also using Spotify.  Sometimes Spotify delivers a pretty good experience.

 

What stuck out at you with that recording?

 

well, the version i have on spotify is the "deluxe digitally remastered" version

the detail is so much better with the uberfrost, i never really understood what folks meant a more black background, how the music seems more fleshed out

i've had many different versions of the fillmore east album, all the way back to an original capricorn pressing from back in the day

that moment just a bit ago, was a good as i've heard, ever(recorded anyway)

post #9414 of 24597
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post
 

 

Congratulations.  If after some use and adjusting to the signature,  you'll be able to make another evaluation.  If you love the RS1i, but are still concerned about the cost gap, then why not sell the SR-325?  If, in your mind, you have picked out a headphone that is superior and you enjoy it much more, then I think returning it due to cost reasons is a bit crazy.  Then again, if it's the fact that you need to feed yourself, your family or have other needs for your money, then holding onto the RS1i would seem like a not-so-good option.

 

Enjoy!

Thank you, I will definitely give my impressions after  I have spent enough time with the RS1i's. If I enjoy it much more than the 80's and the 325's, I wouldn't think twice about keeping them due to the price difference, my only issue was how much better would they sound compared to what I already have, so if I enjoy them that much and feel the price difference is worth it then I'm all for it. Another thing is I really don't want to have three pairs of headphones (thats just the way I am), so I would sell one of the other two. I can say this, I've been listening to them for a little while tonight, and my first impressions are they do seem to me, like a cross between the 80's and the 325's, which I have plenty of listening time with both of them and there are certain things I like about each of them, so the RS1i may very well be the one headphone I was in search of, only time will tell, but they do sound nice in the very little time I have listened to them. Thanks again. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgard Varese View Post
 

 

 

Congrats on the new RS1is. :)  I liked mine right out of the box, but I think they are still in the process of being run in.  I usually manage an hour or 90 minutes a day on them, and I've had them for about a month or so.  I wasn't sure I'd like the l-pads after reading varying comments about them, but they seem quite soft to me and don't hurt my ears at all.  I tried my spare pair of flats with them and went straight back to the l-pads.

 

One good thing is that if you decide they are not worth the difference in price, you can always sell them here.

Thank you, they do sound good right out of the box, but I do feel they need burn in time also. I have no problem at all with the (L) cushions as far as the comfort/sound is concerned, these just happen to be exceptionally soft to me as compared to the (L) cushions I bought for the 80's, and the 325's for the first time, they feel as ie they are already broken in. Thanks again.

post #9415 of 24597
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

Thank you, I will definitely give my impressions after  I have spent enough time with the RS1i's. If I enjoy it much more than the 80's and the 325's, I wouldn't think twice about keeping them due to the price difference, my only issue was how much better would they sound compared to what I already have, so if I enjoy them that much and feel the price difference is worth it then I'm all for it. Another thing is I really don't want to have three pairs of headphones (thats just the way I am), so I would sell one of the other two. I can say this, I've been listening to them for a little while tonight, and my first impressions are they do seem to me, like a cross between the 80's and the 325's, which I have plenty of listening time with both of them and there are certain things I like about each of them, so the RS1i may very well be the one headphone I was in search of, only time will tell, but they do sound nice in the very little time I have listened to them. Thanks again. 

 

Thank you, they do sound good right out of the box, but I do feel they need burn in time also. I have no problem at all with the (L) cushions as far as the comfort/sound is concerned, these just happen to be exceptionally soft to me as compared to the (L) cushions I bought for the 80's, and the 325's for the first time, they feel as ie they are already broken in. Thanks again.

 

I think what you seek might be hard to score, or apply a label to.  The strength in the RS1i is with the refinement in sound.  Sure, the bass is better - others have called it "natural" due to the mahogany cups.  Also, there are so many variables that could change the sound that you have options to try - and not all of the are too costly.  Try variations of pads.  Try some different DACs in the music chain - you don't have to spend mega-bucks.  If you have a tube amp, try some tube swapping to see where the sound might improve for you.

 

Finally, keep in mind that you're not buying a Flavor of the Month headphone.  Fortunately, the Grados look as if they retain a good portion of their value.  If you had to sell them, you'd still get a pretty good sum of cash in doing so.  People in audio will spend 300% for an upgrade that only provides a 5% gain in performance or the sound.

post #9416 of 24597
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post
 

 

I think what you seek might be hard to score, or apply a label to.  The strength in the RS1i is with the refinement in sound.  Sure, the bass is better - others have called it "natural" due to the mahogany cups.  Also, there are so many variables that could change the sound that you have options to try - and not all of the are too costly.  Try variations of pads.  Try some different DACs in the music chain - you don't have to spend mega-bucks.  If you have a tube amp, try some tube swapping to see where the sound might improve for you.

 

Finally, keep in mind that you're not buying a Flavor of the Month headphone.  Fortunately, the Grados look as if they retain a good portion of their value.  If you had to sell them, you'd still get a pretty good sum of cash in doing so.  People in audio will spend 300% for an upgrade that only provides a 5% gain in performance or the sound.

 

I do have the LD1+, Magni/Modi, Adcom GFP-710, Meridian-203DAC, MBP, and Sony 6-7 and 801es models, so I will definitely be using all of them with the RS1i's, but I am already enjoying the way they sound with the LD1+/Modi/MBP tonight. 

Like you stated above "you don't have to spend mega bucks", I totally agree with this, this is why I was skeptical about purchasing the RS1i's, but I had to for my own experience, and so far its a nice one. After listening to these for sometime, going back to the 80's and the 325's will let me know if I'm that much more impressed with the RS1i's. Thanks for your positive suggestions.
post #9417 of 24597

I think I've found a way to survive with the TTVJ flats pads.  Others have indicated that their ears can hurt when using them.  The foam that rests on the ears is pretty dense, and pretty thin.  I cut some rings out of soft felt and placed these rings between the pads and my ears.  I've retained the qualities of the flat pads, as well as improved the comfort level when using them.  It really has allowed for a variation in the abilities of the RS1i for performance.  As another alternative, the modded Sennheiser 414 pads work well, too and are quite comfortable.  The flats and my RS1i are providing me with a silly amount of bass that I seriously never thought a Grado could achieve.  Or, maybe it has been awhile since I've heard some great Grado sound.  

 

After getting the RS1i and then the PS-500 about a week and a half later, I was concerned that having two headphones in the same price league might not be too good.  But, the reality is that I can use the PS-500 with my G-Cush pads and have a completely different high-end sound when I want to listen to music with that option, too.

 

For the past few years, I've been on a bit of journey by trying, buying and selling other headphones from other companies.  In each case, I would tend to be a bit critical with respect to what I was hearing.  I found myself being boxed into a corner by caring more about performance than just taking the necessary amount of time to just enjoy my music.  With that said, the Grado offering is what it is.  When I have the RS1i on with my favorite music, I've found that I'm less critical of the performance -- which is excellent by the way, but instead, I'm reconnected with the music.  My hands are tapping and my feet are tapping.  The connection has been regained.  That, to me, is the most important aspect of this hobby.

 

As to the RS1i cost, you can basically spend that amount of money buying, selling and returning a number of pair of headphones in trying to find what is right for you.  Does this mean everyone should just jump to the RS1i?  Nope.  I'm just pointing it out as a response to the cost of the RS1i.  Again, you only live once.


Edited by wje - 9/19/13 at 2:11am
post #9418 of 24597

Got my MS-Pros today, everything I loved about the RS1's but tamed. Loving them.

 

The treble is subdued but still has plenty of energy, the mids have that lovely grado sound and the bass, to my ears, goes deeper.


Edited by Jesterphile - 9/19/13 at 5:40am
post #9419 of 24597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterphile View Post
 

Got my MS-Pros today, everything I loved about the RS1's but tamed. Loving them.

 

The treble is subdued but still has plenty of energy, the mids have that lovely grado sound and the bass, to my ears, goes deeper.

if, and if the rs1i isn't to my liking, the ms-pro would be next in line, i love my ms2

post #9420 of 24597
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post
 

I think I've found a way to survive with the TTVJ flats pads.  Others have indicated that their ears can hurt when using them.  The foam that rests on the ears is pretty dense, and pretty thin.  I cut some rings out of soft felt and placed these rings between the pads and my ears.  I've retained the qualities of the flat pads, as well as improved the comfort level when using them.  It really has allowed for a variation in the abilities of the RS1i for performance.  As another alternative, the modded Sennheiser 414 pads work well, too and are quite comfortable.  The flats and my RS1i are providing me with a silly amount of bass that I seriously never thought a Grado could achieve.  Or, maybe it has been awhile since I've heard some great Grado sound.  

 

After getting the RS1i and then the PS-500 about a week and a half later, I was concerned that having two headphones in the same price league might not be too good.  But, the reality is that I can use the PS-500 with my G-Cush pads and have a completely different high-end sound when I want to listen to music with that option, too.

 

For the past few years, I've been on a bit of journey by trying, buying and selling other headphones from other companies.  In each case, I would tend to be a bit critical with respect to what I was hearing.  I found myself being boxed into a corner by caring more about performance than just taking the necessary amount of time to just enjoy my music.  With that said, the Grado offering is what it is.  When I have the RS1i on with my favorite music, I've found that I'm less critical of the performance -- which is excellent by the way, but instead, I'm reconnected with the music.  My hands are tapping and my feet are tapping.  The connection has been regained.  That, to me, is the most important aspect of this hobby.

 

As to the RS1i cost, you can basically spend that amount of money buying, selling and returning a number of pair of headphones in trying to find what is right for you.  Does this mean everyone should just jump to the RS1i?  Nope.  I'm just pointing it out as a response to the cost of the RS1i.  Again, you only live once.


i made the trip up the grado chain, the 60, ms1, 225, ms2, 500, i loved the journey, and regret somewhat Not hearing the 80, 125, 325, along the way, i may hear them yet. the journey up, to the point where i am now, was so much fun, and i learned so much(and still learning).

i don't see myself buying anything beyond the price point i'm at now, i don't think i'd feel comfortable going more$$.

 

right now, i see my ps500 as two headphones, with the g-cush, its my "other" non grado phone, with the L-cushes, its more grado.

and my ms2 is my grado, which i hope/suspect the rs1i will become my go to "grado" can, and if that doesn't materialize, the ms pro would be the next i'd want to try. if  don't quite like it, i could be happy with the 225i(or ms2) and the 500.

 

when i had the hifiman he-4, i listened to it pretty much exclusively for 3 days,it was good, did some things great, but, i never connected to the music they i do with anything in the grado family, and that was the kiss of death for me.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!