Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 627

post #9391 of 26099
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post
 

 

The difference in price between the SR-80 and RS-1i does have to be considered.  However, there are many people who spend more than $550 on an amp, which is about the same as the price spread between the two Grado headphones.  Plus,  you have to remember, we only live once!

and speaking of only living once, i may be close to the rs1i, i got a response to my "WANTED" ad, 

post #9392 of 26099
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanorthk View Post
 

I have upgraded my M2tech hiface with 5V external power supply, and the sound is a lot less bright on my PS1000.

Though, I feel I'm missing something, it's still a bit to shinning for me.

I have a HA 160, and I think I'm going to look for a tube amp to "cool the PS1000 down"....

Anyone got an amp to recomand?

My dac is the Burson dac, I don't plan to change it.

 

 

Little Dot 1+.

post #9393 of 26099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oteil View Post
 

 

I think it is really hard to say really if they are worth the money for you, but for me they are definitely worth it. I have owned quite a few Grado's and these are just what I was looking for, so yeah it worth it to me but you might not think so:) If you dig Grado's I don't see how you couldn't like them, but everyone is different. I picked my RS-1 up used, if you can find a good deal definitely go for it:) I have been contemplating getting these phones for quite a few years. I am glad that I finally own them. They sound so good!

 

I've also been contemplating this for a little while myself, and I may be a little annoying with this same question over and over, but I keep getting the same response from many (if not all) members about the RS!,and when I do finally make the move to the RS1 I hope I feel the same as everyone else. Thanks for your input. Might even go buy them this week!

post #9394 of 26099
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

I've also been contemplating this for a little while myself, and I may be a little annoying with this same question over and over, but I keep getting the same response from many (if not all) members about the RS!,and when I do finally make the move to the RS1 I hope I feel the same as everyone else. Thanks for your input. Might even go buy them this week!
Mine should be shipping soon Joseph
post #9395 of 26099
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post

Mine should be shipping soon Joseph

So much win!
post #9396 of 26099
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post


Mine should be shipping soon Joseph

 

Yeah, now I'm really going crazy, thinking I'm going to go to N.Y.C. and just buy the RS1i's 

tommorow and get this out of my system and be able to start comparing them to the 80i's and the 325is's and get this over with already!!! Right now I'm listening to Marc Antoine (Can you feel it) with my 80's with the LD1+ and Modi with the MBP, and I'm just blown away with the sound and I know things can always get better, but I'm asking myself (once again), how much better can it get, thats how good these sound IMO, so I'm just driving myself nuts with curiosity at this point and now I have to do it before I go insane! By all means I'm a very content person and appreciate what I do have, but this is just to much now.
Congratulations on your RS1's, enjoy them.
post #9397 of 26099
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post
 

 

Thanks dude, I appreciate the support.

 

I swear to God, I think about these cans every night before I go to sleep.  Similar to my reaction to Ohm speakers when I read about them.

 

I do not anticipate buying an amp in the near future, with the one exception of the Mojlnir for the two balanced cans I will have.  My plan will be to run the GS1000's straight out of the Oppo BDP-105, or out of my receiver.  Nothing against tube guys, but I prefer to color my sound with EQ, if at all.  I guess I'm one of those 'straight wire with gain' guys when it comes to amps.

 

Well it's nice to see someone excited about them! lol  Seems like these phones are the "lost Grado" at times. 

 
Hopefully you'll enjoy them out of the Oppo or the receiver, but if not, just consider giving them an audition with a better quality amp before you give up on 'em. Just my $.02. 
post #9398 of 26099
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

 

Yeah, you killed me with that last sentence, lol. Everybody pretty much says what you've said, so I guess I have no choice but to check them out. Its almost as if from what I've read that there is a thin line between the 80's and the RS1, that has to be listened to for one's self. Thanks for your reply 

 

The other thing that we can't know is your attitude toward spending up on them and the way that you make your own estimation of relative value.  The only reason I don't feel bad is because I bought them with my consulting money, so I never really felt the "pinch" as such.  It would have given me a great deal more trouble justifying the purchase otherwise...

post #9399 of 26099
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post


Mine should be shipping soon Joseph

 

I take it the trigger was pulled then... 

:bigsmile_face:

post #9400 of 26099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgard Varese View Post
 

 

The other thing that we can't know is your attitude toward spending up on them and the way that you make your own estimation of relative value.  The only reason I don't feel bad is because I bought them with my consulting money, so I never really felt the "pinch" as such.  It would have given me a great deal more trouble justifying the purchase otherwise...

 

So what exactly are you reffering to when you say "it would have givin me a great deal more trouble justifying the purchase otherwise"

post #9401 of 26099
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

 

So what exactly are you reffering to when you say "it would have givin me a great deal more trouble justifying the purchase otherwise"

 

Sorry, I should be more clear about what I mean.  What I'm referring to is my own personal situation (where I'm the sole provider for a family), so it would be difficult to justify the expense of the headphones if it were coming out of the normal family budget, because I'd have been uncomfortable about spending that much money on myself.  It has nothing to do with perceived value (I think in fact they are worth what they cost, as I intend to keep them permanently and I do love them).

 

I'd had them in the back of my mind ever since I got the SR60s in 2007, so I'd intended to get them someday, and the chance presented itself.

post #9402 of 26099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leliana View Post


Strange I put them in my closet for 6 nights worth of 10 hours each. I didn't hear to much difference. Maybe my NFB 5.32 just matched poorly with them. I wonder if there could have been something wrong with my source at the time.

 

You hear what you hear and I hear what I hear. I'm not denying what you heard at all. I actually find the SR325is quite tolerable, but some people find them shrill as hell. Different strokes I guess :)

post #9403 of 26099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgard Varese View Post
 

 

Sorry, I should be more clear about what I mean.  What I'm referring to is my own personal situation (where I'm the sole provider for a family), so it would be difficult to justify the expense of the headphones if it were coming out of the normal family budget, because I'd have been uncomfortable about spending that much money on myself.  It has nothing to do with perceived value (I think in fact they are worth what they cost, as I intend to keep them permanently and I do love them).

 

I'd had them in the back of my mind ever since I got the SR60s in 2007, so I'd intended to get them someday, and the chance presented itself.

 

While I'm essentially the sole provider for our family, I have to result in some creative ideas in being able to make purchases.  I'll often save up my lunch money or sell a few items here and there to keep my lust for headphones going strong.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post
 

 

You hear what you hear and I hear what I hear. I'm not denying what you heard at all. I actually find the SR325is quite tolerable, but some people find them shrill as hell. Different strokes I guess :)

 

The pads can supply a big difference too.  While I couldn't appreciate the SR-325 when I had the pair, I would like to test them at some point with the TTVJ "flats" or the Sennheiser 414 pads with the quarter mod performed.  I received my PS-500 and with the L-Cush pads, I felt there was a bit of extened upper frequencies that was treading on the shrill area.  Switching over to the Flats and then the 414 pads, tamed things down to a signature that I can really appreciate.

post #9404 of 26099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgard Varese View Post
 

 

Sorry, I should be more clear about what I mean.  What I'm referring to is my own personal situation (where I'm the sole provider for a family), so it would be difficult to justify the expense of the headphones if it were coming out of the normal family budget, because I'd have been uncomfortable about spending that much money on myself.  It has nothing to do with perceived value (I think in fact they are worth what they cost, as I intend to keep them permanently and I do love them).

 

I'd had them in the back of my mind ever since I got the SR60s in 2007, so I'd intended to get them someday, and the chance presented itself.

 

I totally understand, I on the other hand only have myself to support, so I went to N.Y.C. today and purchased the RS1i's and they are on my head right know. The only comment I can give right now is that when I plugged them into the LD1+ the left driver was not working, so I turned the 1/4 terminated end and the channel came on, so then I cleaned it with alcohol and moved the cables around while they were playing, and I don't seem to have any problems with them. So like I said, I just purchased them and I will wait a while for some burn in time (which I do believe in) to compare them with my 80's and 325's. As far as right out of the box, yes they do sound nice, but my main concern is the price margin from the 80's and the 325's, so I'll need some time with them (obviously).

post #9405 of 26099
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

 

I totally understand, I on the other hand only have myself to support, so I went to N.Y.C. today and purchased the RS1i's and they are on my head right know. The only comment I can give right now is that when I plugged them into the LD1+ the left driver was not working, so I turned the 1/4 terminated end and the channel came on, so then I cleaned it with alcohol and moved the cables around while they were playing, and I don't seem to have any problems with them. So like I said, I just purchased them and I will wait a while for some burn in time (which I do believe in) to compare them with my 80's and 325's. As far as right out of the box, yes they do sound nice, but my main concern is the price margin from the 80's and the 325's, so I'll need some time with them (obviously).

whether its burn in, or psycho acoustical , (i think some of both) the sound i perceive initially , then over the long term, is often very different.

'm looking forward to your thoughts on the rs1i, you should have a good handle on how you like them by the time i get mine!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!