Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 616

post #9226 of 17371
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post
 

 

 

 

The HE-5LE can be quite a cliff hanger of a headphone.  You can get so close to perfection ... yet, then question yourself if there's something else out there that could give just a little more.  After going through 9 HifiMan changes, I realized not just one would make me happy.  I'd need about 3 of the models to do so.  That is when I said I'm heading back to Grado for a bit.  The RS1i is quite the dreamy sound.  In fact, the sound is nothing like I thought it was going to be ... but, it is 10 times better to my ears and what I hear so I can enjoy.

Thanks for explaining your experience with them.  It really makes no sense in a way, as the 5LE is such a great headphone.  I'm not sure how the 225i manages to edge it out in my weekly listening, but it does.

 

I went  through a similar process with my main speakers.  It was an intense three years of listening, auditioning, and reading.  I went through Definitive Technologies, Sunfire, Magnepan, Martin Logan, B&W, and Tannoy.  I eventually tried a pair only available on line that came with a whopping 120-day home audition.  Ironically, they are hand-built in Brooklyn, they don't publish specs, and the owner of the company tunes them by ear.  The company is Ohm acoustics, and they build omni-polar speakers that have to be heard to be believed.  Mine cost $1200 a pair, and I have yet to hear anything that outright beats them

 

I guess what I'm really looking for is the 'Ohm' of headphones, and I'm hoping Grado is it.

post #9227 of 17371
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 

 

 

I went from the 325i to the RS1i a little less than 1 year ago.

 

I had all of the same questions that you do.

 

I bought my RS1i used for $485.

 

I listened to both phones for about two weeks before I could make a decision on what I wanted to keep.

 

At first I still liked the 325i....then after a week I liked the RS!i, but just by a tad over the 325i.

 

After two weeks, then it was clear to me that the RS1i was the phone that I wanted to keep.

 

I did not think the 325i would get much head time so I sold it here o  the forums for $195 plus shipping....they were mint chromies....so that meant I had around $300 in my RS1i.

 

I can not tell you how much that I love these RS1i,,,,hardly a day goes by that they do not get used.....I mostly listen to rock and classic rock and blues.....any guitar makes you smile ....I am an AC/DC freak and music from the 70's

 

Are the RS1i  worth the extra money from the step up from the 325i...I really can not answer that, as it is just plain personal preference.

 

I will say that imho....the 325i is the best bang for your buck headphone that Grado offers, sound wise and build quality considered. I loved them to death and felt the sound was indeed top notch.....I loved the agressive in your face sound, because the music I listen too is in your face music and also aggressive.

 

For the $295 price tag I will always recommend the 325i and I will mention some call them bright....I loved that aspect of them!

 

I do not think that if anyone already is a fan of the grado sound signature, that they would not love either of these phones, but then again we all have our own preferences.

 

Good luck with what ever you decide.....I can not imagine you being disappointed in the RS1....I just do not know if the difference in the price tag would be worth it.

 

I really do like your honesty in this comment, appreciate your input, especially when you say that it also took you a few weeks to to decide on which headphone to keep, and you still speak highly of the 325's after keeping the RS1's and selling the 325's. So in reality you practically paid the same amount for the RS1i that you paid for the 325's (nice deal). I'm going to have to order a pair from my dealer over the winter and just listen and compare, and see if there is a 400$ difference to me. Like you also commented, the 325's are a great headphone for 295$, so I am a little skeptical, but I've got to do what I've got to do, so I'm going to listen to them...finally. Thanks again for the (honest) reply. 

post #9228 of 17371
Quote:
Originally Posted by semicoln View Post

Joseph is giving fantastic advice here from my perspective, except I have the 225i instead of the 325 and the MS1i instead of the 80. I'm also looking toward the RS series next. Dang it.

joseph is much more patient and consistent, in a good way. and i can second his advice, i've had the modi, mangni, and little dot, they are superb , and pretty affordable to boot !

i also was a ms1 , 225i guy , that has evolved to a ms2, ps500, lyr/bifrost guy, i think i'm nearing my "end game" .

any additions i make now will be more for having "variety"

i have a set of hifiman He-4 coming, bout from the sale forum, i'm giving ortho's a try.

and i could really see myself getting another little dot I+, it sounds so good with grado's

and the tubes are much cheaper than lyr to tube roll

man i'm having a blast !

post #9229 of 17371
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post

Thanks for explaining your experience with them.  It really makes no sense in a way, as the 5LE is such a great headphone.  I'm not sure how the 225i manages to edge it out in my weekly listening, but it does.

I went  through a similar process with my main speakers.  It was an intense three years of listening, auditioning, and reading.  I went through Definitive Technologies, Sunfire, Magnepan, Martin Logan, B&W, and Tannoy.  I eventually tried a pair only available on line that came with a whopping 120-day home audition.  Ironically, they are hand-built in Brooklyn, they don't publish specs, and the owner of the company tunes them by ear.  The company is Ohm acoustics, and they build omni-polar speakers that have to be heard to be believed.  Mine cost $1200 a pair, and I have yet to hear anything that outright beats them

I guess what I'm really looking for is the 'Ohm' of headphones, and I'm hoping Grado is it.

I dont have a lot of experience with speakers but i have a pair of $300 castle speakers and they are the best speakers I've heard. lots of detail in the low mids and very sweet treble. they remind me a lot of the RS1. I've listened to more expensive speakers even within the castle line and still haven't found anything I like better.
Edited by bassboysam - 9/7/13 at 6:35am
post #9230 of 17371

Thanks, JAYWILLIN for the positive reply on my post!

post #9231 of 17371

My HF-2s + extra pads are still available for sale in case anyone's interested:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680406/grado-hf-2-hf2-extra-pads

post #9232 of 17371
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

Nope - that one I don't believe.  I would rather believe that the great majority of people notice something definite and then try to explain it, rather than assume that everyone's senses and brains are useless if it can't be measured ... but maybe that's just me. rolleyes.gif
In my defence I had a few glasses of wine when I wrote that last night.

To clarify, I do firmly believe in the physical burn in process. I do also believe though that ones ears and brain get used to how a set up presents music and you can use that after getting used to a set up, you stop listening to what IT is doing and start better appreciating the source. Familiarity with a set up always helps for me.
post #9233 of 17371
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob54 View Post


In my defence I had a few glasses of wine when I wrote that last night.

To clarify, I do firmly believe in the physical burn in process. I do also believe though that ones ears and brain get used to how a set up presents music and you can use that after getting used to a set up, you stop listening to what IT is doing and start better appreciating the source. Familiarity with a set up always helps for me.

 

the burn in process of your tympanic membrane also helps. It took me more than a month to ge to really appreciate the sr325is, it was fatiguing to the point of regret and now I can use it for hours and hours. I'm still not sure whether it got used to me or I got used to it.

post #9234 of 17371
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefski View Post


I wouldn't "burn in" anything with pink noise.

Grado specifically recommends normal listening only.

Do you know why grado doesnt recommends burn in with pink noise?

Thanks man !

post #9235 of 17371
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post


I dont have a lot of experience with speakers but i have a pair of $300 castle speakers and they are the best speakers I've heard. lots of detail in the low mids and very sweet treble. they remind me a lot of the RS1. I've listened to more expensive speakers even within the castle line and still haven't found anything I like better.

 

Man, I'd like to hear those.  The specs read like classic British sound, ala Wharfdale

post #9236 of 17371
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllcarbonlll View Post

Do you know why grado doesnt recommends burn in with pink noise?
Thanks man !

I don't, but my RS1i instructions from Grado say not to break in, just normal listening.

I could make a wild, untechnical, uneducated guess that open-backed headphones are designed to be used in a situation where the diaphram is "damped" by the human head and should not be running in free space for hours. (especially at high volume). Just like a speaker driver is damped by the cabinet.
post #9237 of 17371
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefski View Post


I don't, but my RS1i instructions from Grado say not to break in, just normal listening.

I could make a wild, untechnical, uneducated guess that open-backed headphones are designed to be used in a situation where the diaphram is "damped" by the human head and should not be running in free space for hours. (especially at high volume). Just like a speaker driver is damped by the cabinet.

 

i understand , thanks for the answer . Do you think that in medium volume it can be usefull ?

post #9238 of 17371
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post

Man, I'd like to hear those.  The specs read like classic British sound, ala Wharfdale
very british and laid back. they even came with a pair of white gloves.
post #9239 of 17371
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post
 

 

Man, I'd like to hear those.  The specs read like classic British sound, ala Wharfdale

 

I think the Castle team came from Wharfdale.

Made their own beautiful cabinets and drivers (early woven carbon fiber on some). 

Models named after English castles. I remember one floor stander with 2nd woofer on top like Allisons.

Very laid back.

Pipes and slippers.

post #9240 of 17371
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

I really do like your honesty in this comment, appreciate your input, especially when you say that it also took you a few weeks to to decide on which headphone to keep, and you still speak highly of the 325's after keeping the RS1's and selling the 325's. So in reality you practically paid the same amount for the RS1i that you paid for the 325's (nice deal). I'm going to have to order a pair from my dealer over the winter and just listen and compare, and see if there is a 400$ difference to me. Like you also commented, the 325's are a great headphone for 295$, so I am a little skeptical, but I've got to do what I've got to do, so I'm going to listen to them...finally. Thanks again for the (honest) reply. 

I think this is the beauty of the RS1s. On first listen, I can almost guarantee you'll have an initial reaction of "really? That's it?"

But it's the subtle, consistent improvement in every facet of the listening experience that takes a while that you really realize just how good and enjoyable they are. Give them a try over some time, you won't regret it!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!