Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 611

post #9151 of 25250
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post
 

Here's how I avoid spending lavish amounts of money buying higher end Grados, by spending lavish amounts of money on lower end Grados.:D

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

Poor man's GS-1000i.

 

I think I'll take a chance and double post on the 325i thread.  Perhaps I'll incur the wrath of the mighty moderators.:gs1000smile:

Wow!  Care to share the details?

post #9152 of 25250
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post
 

Here's how I avoid spending lavish amounts of money buying higher end Grados, by spending lavish amounts of money on lower end Grados.:D

 

Poor man's GS-1000i.

I think I'll take a chance and double post on the 325i thread.  Perhaps I'll incur the wrath of the mighty moderators.:gs1000smile:

 

I think after buying all that "bling" you've spent as much on your SR-325i as it would cost to buy the GS-1000i.  In fact, a GS-1000 was just sold about a week ago for about $590 + shipping.  They shure look purdy, though.

 

 

Edit: SR-325i ($299), Wooden Cups ($150 - Est.), Silver / Aluminum Gimbals ($150), Manta Leather Headband ($45), G-Cush ear pads ($45).  Total: $689.00.  :eek:


Edited by wje - 9/5/13 at 1:23pm
post #9153 of 25250

man when these aluminum gimbals got so popular amongst grado moders? they turn them into real franksteins, no offense intended. You should get some wooden rod stops instead :D

post #9154 of 25250
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post
 

 

I think after buying all that "bling" you've spent as much on your SR-325i as it would cost to buy the GS-1000i.  In fact, a GS-1000 was just sold about a week ago for about $590 + shipping.  They shure look purdy, though.

 

 

 

Yeah...I really wish I had made a different decision regarding the GS1000's.  Pretty sure I will end up with a pair, I have the certain, I dunno, obsession might be the right word, to own a top-tier Grado.  I thought about getting my 225i's woodied, but the economics didn't make sense for me.  At the same time, the woodied SR's I've seen look awesome- I'm just wanting to climb to a certain performance level that the SR's were not designed to provide, I think.

post #9155 of 25250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

wow didn't think my PS1000 comments would start such a huge debate, i feel bad. anyways umm i just sent the return request to crutchfield so i can ship them sometime this week.

 

i tried to like them alot, but i just found them too bright for me and for the money, not suitable for as wide variety of music as i wished. they seem to be like 325is but just more U shaped with bigger soundstage.

 

i still am a grado fan, and do love grados, my favorite by far being the RS1i. i previously owned an RS1i that was in an RS1 assembly. it failed and i got it repaired and replaced with RS1i drivers, so it still had the old cups with the buttons and the older cable which was thinner and longer than the newer ones. i really miss it, its a really good sounding headphone, great midrange and beautiful warmth and engagement.

 

i plan on re-buying a pair soon. maybe one day, i'll get lucky and come across the HP1000 or something too.

 

you shouldn't feel bad, i've been following you're posts , you took your time, made every effort to be fair, and you really showed someone like me, how evaluating a piece should be done. i'm pretty new to this thing, and i can get carried away with first impressions.

that first impression isn't always the long lasting impression. i took your comments to mean how you felt the headphones suited, (or not, in this case) your personal taste, NOT as any kind of indictment  of the sound quality of the ps1000 in general

just my $.02

post #9156 of 25250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

i plan on re-buying a pair soon. maybe one day, i'll get lucky and come across the HP1000 or something too.

I enjoy your posts and respect your reviews. You deserve to "come across" a good pair of HP1000.

They are a different animal altogether and I think you would appreciate and treasure them.

post #9157 of 25250

Well I just got my SR225's back from Grado today. They replaced just about everything, both drivers, cable assembly and the earpads. Sounds good but I was thinking they would sound better, then I remembered, new drivers...need to be re-burned in. I still don't think they are going to end up sounding much like the 225i, they are just so much smoother. So I got exactly what I wanted another Grado phone that will sound good (and with the Grado sound) with anything I throw at it. Save me from buying another SR125i.

 

Hank

post #9158 of 25250
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 

Well I just got my SR225's back from Grado today. They replaced just about everything, both drivers, cable assembly and the earpads. Sounds good but I was thinking they would sound better, then I remembered, new drivers...need to be re-burned in. I still don't think they are going to end up sounding much like the 225i, they are just so much smoother. So I got exactly what I wanted another Grado phone that will sound good (and with the Grado sound) with anything I throw at it. Save me from buying another SR125i.

 

Hank

 

I'd say its the new pads rather than the drivers man, Grados change a crazy amount with different pads (even just newer vs older pads)


Edited by Jesterphile - 9/6/13 at 3:38am
post #9159 of 25250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterphile View Post
 

 

I'd say its the new pads rather than the drivers man, Grados change a crazy amount with different pads (even just newer vs older pads)

 

Agreed - I think perhaps a lot of "burn-in" is simply a headphone's pads and headband relaxing a bit. Please don't everyone get upset - I'm not arguing against the idea of burn-in, just that the cause and result may not necessarily be the drivers in many cases. ;)

post #9160 of 25250
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post
 

 

Agreed - I think perhaps a lot of "burn-in" is simply a headphone's pads and headband relaxing a bit. Please don't everyone get upset - I'm not arguing against the idea of burn-in, just that the cause and result may not necessarily be the drivers in many cases. ;)

 

I concur.

 

 

Moving on...

 

If I wanted to get another pair of Grados what should I get? Are there any other flavours?

post #9161 of 25250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterphile View Post
 

 

I concur.

 

 

Moving on...

 

If I wanted to get another pair of Grados what should I get? Are there any other flavours?

 

JMHO, but cost can still be a big consideration.  I think the RS1 and PS-500 hit the sweet spot, although the price is still high for new vs used.  They are both top-tier headphones, but they don't combine sky-high costs with the strange traits that seem to come with the GS-1000 and PS-1000.  Many prefer the PS-500 (HF-2) to the RS1 these days.  It's really a personal decision - more deep bass and a bit less high-end extension with the PS-500 vs. the articulate highs of the RS1.  IMHO, both have wonderful midrange and both are very fast.

post #9162 of 25250
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post
 

 

JMHO, but cost can still be a big consideration.  I think the RS1 and PS-500 hit the sweet spot, although the price is still high for new vs used.  They are both top-tier headphones, but they don't combine sky-high costs with the strange traits that seem to come with the GS-1000 and PS-1000.  Many prefer the PS-500 (HF-2) to the RS1 these days.  It's really a personal decision - more deep bass and a bit less high-end extension with the PS-500 vs. the articulate highs of the RS1.  IMHO, both have wonderful midrange and both are very fast.

 

Do you think there is any point getting both?

post #9163 of 25250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterphile View Post
 

 

Do you think there is any point getting both?

 

This may be the wrong place to ask that.  If course there is, and we want to read all about your comparison!

post #9164 of 25250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterphile View Post
 

 

Do you think there is any point getting both?

 

If you can afford it, yes.  I would like to have both, but I have to figure out how to get rid of my HF-1's and SR-225's, first.  I have the HF-2's, but have listened to the RS-1's for extended periods on many occasions.  The HF-1 is very similar in signature, with greater clarity, detail, and bass going to the RS-1's.  The HF-2/PS-500 is probably a better all-around can for rock, jazz, R&B, while the RS-1 is unbeatable with acoustic folk, rock, classical, etc.

 

Again - JMHO and YMMV.

post #9165 of 25250

Thanks, not having anywhere local to try before I buy is a problem ;)

 

I am really enjoying my RS1i's, but at times I miss the never-ending bass of my LCD-2's.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!