Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 607

post #9091 of 26064
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post

 

after hearing the $100 grado price, i said "no thank you" lol

 

Yes sir!  For that kind of money, I'd expect a happy ending, too.  tongue.gif

post #9092 of 26064
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

 

Regarding ferday's post, I'm sorry to hear that you can't easily demo Grados  because I also live in Canada, and I have access to any Grado model I want.

 

Even here in the U.S. I don't have access to demo any of the Grado models all that easily.  However, the audio shop in my somewhat immediate area is a bit higher end and the Grados they have are mostly sealed.  However, if I want to demo one, I can just ask and the owner will open a box for me so I can listen.  The only real issue with that is the Grados are fresh out of the box.  Whether one believes in burn-in or not, I'm still a bit leery about trying to form an opinion on a pair just out of the box.  But, after an hour or so of a demo session, I make up my mind to proceed with a purchase.  At that point, I ask the owner to write me up a sales ticket.  I then ask for a pair that's in a new, sealed pizza box.   eek.gif   Just kidding on that last part.  If I like them, I'll take the one that was just opened by the owner about an hour earlier.  wink.gif

post #9093 of 26064

Morning session with my MS2i + some metal music = bliss

 

Good morning, have a great day to you all gs1000.gif

post #9094 of 26064
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post

Whoa Stacker, that is a serious collection of high-end Grado that you have!

 

Would you care to elaborate a bit about the GS1000?  I am a little torn between them and the RS-1, which I understand maintains much of the Grado 'sound'.

 

Thanks, but for the record, I never meant to ''collect'' the whole 1000 series, it just sort of happend. I bought my GS1000 in 2006, when they first came out, to replace my Sennheiser HD600. then the HP1000 pretty much, fell in my lap, and about two years ago I gave the PS1000 a shot, and the rest is history.

 

About my GS1000, keep in mind that they are not the ''i'' model, and that they're is a difference between the two. I did have the chance to compare both versions for a few days, and came away with the conclusion that the first generation GS1k had a wider soundstage, and more resessed mids, i would also say that voices sounded a bit leaner too, and the treble could sound a little on the hot side with some brighter recordings. I ended up preffering the slightly more extended bass, the richer mids, and the sweeter treble of the newer ''i'' version, so as far as I'm concerned, the ''i'' really does mean improved, when it comes to the GS1000.

 

I hope this helps.

post #9095 of 26064
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

Yes sir!  For that kind of money, I'd expect a happy ending, too.  tongue.gif

Not that I don't believe you all, it's just crazy that a small fix on an SR headphone could be a flat rate of $100. I will contact Grado and ask then report back. Otherwise I may be fitting a dryer sheet and considering some other brands in future.
post #9096 of 26064
Quote:
Originally Posted by semicoln View Post


Not that I don't believe you all, it's just crazy that a small fix on an SR headphone could be a flat rate of $100. I will contact Grado and ask then report back. Otherwise I may be fitting a dryer sheet and considering some other brands in future.

 

Personally, I'd also spend a few minutes in a fabric store.  You might be able to find some cloth that would be acoustically transparent for a few bucks.  Then, cut the material to size by holding up a circular paper template for the size you need.  While holding the paper template against the cloth, carefully cut around the circle with a scissors.  You should then have a nicely cut piece of material for installation.  You should then apply a small amount of gel craft glue to the surface on the edge of the drivers where the cloth is to be placed.  Then, carefully set the fabric into place and gently press so the glue grabs hold.

 

* When applying the glue, I'd use a small toothpick to carefully apply the glue to the surface.  This would ensure that you have control over the amount of glue being applied.

 

Best of luck!

post #9097 of 26064

as for any repair to grado's that there is any question of whether i want to attempt or not, i think it would be wise, or at least, couldn't hurt at all, conact grado first, then proceed accordingly.

 

i went to the fabric store,ust asked for some and didn't look at anything else, which i should have done

when i got home, and took out the cheesecloth, its fibers were so loosely woven

it would have been shedding  strands from the get go !

the stock fabric on the driver grills  is not cheesecloth , not unless there are varying grades.

the spent dryer sheet's weave of the material is much, much better, plus, your

headphones will have the faint smell of the tropical rainforest or spring meadow !! lol
 

post #9098 of 26064
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post

as for any repair to grado's that there is any question of whether i want to attempt or not, i think it would be wise, or at least, couldn't hurt at all, conact grado first, then proceed accordingly.

 

i went to the fabric store,ust asked for some and didn't look at anything else, which i should have done

when i got home, and took out the cheesecloth, its fibers were so loosely woven

it would have been shedding  strands from the get go !

the stock fabric on the driver grills  is not cheesecloth , not unless there are varying grades.

the spent dryer sheet's weave of the material is much, much better, plus, your

headphones will have the faint smell of the tropical rainforest or spring meadow !! lol
 

The scent of spring meadow might conflict with the feeling of death metal...  "GRRRRRRRRRRR, GRROOWWWLLLLL  gee, that smells fresh":

post #9099 of 26064
Are there any special considerations that should be taken with the wood cups? I assume oiling is a bad idea
Edited by Jesterphile - 9/3/13 at 5:24am
post #9100 of 26064
Quote:
Originally Posted by semicoln View Post


Not that I don't believe you all, it's just crazy that a small fix on an SR headphone could be a flat rate of $100. I will contact Grado and ask then report back. Otherwise I may be fitting a dryer sheet and considering some other brands in future.

Grado repairs are on a flat or fixed fee basis:

The prices used to be:

SR80 > SR225 = $35

SR325 + $45

RS1 & RS2 = $100 - These cost more because of the process to unglue the drivers from the wood cups.

 

It has to do with the time/effort to take apart the cans and the potential cost of replacement parts.

The system works great for people with trashed cans, but not for those who need a minor repair.

post #9101 of 26064
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post

Grado repairs are on a flat or fixed fee basis:
The prices used to be:
SR80 > SR225 = $35
SR325 + $45
RS1 & RS2 = $100 - These cost more because of the process to unglue the drivers from the wood cups.

It has to do with the time/effort to take apart the cans and the potential cost of replacement parts.
The system works great for people with trashed cans, but not for those who need a minor repair.

Thanks for that info. Do you know if they often replace working drivers just because they are doing other work?
post #9102 of 26064
Quote:
Originally Posted by semicoln View Post


Thanks for that info. Do you know if they often replace working drivers just because they are doing other work?

 

i've heard that they often "upgrade" the drivers to whatever the most recent driver for that model is. for example if you sent them an SR225, they would upgrade it to the SR225i driver.
post #9103 of 26064
Quote:
Originally Posted by semicoln View Post


Thanks for that info. Do you know if they often replace working drivers just because they are doing other work?

They only upgrade the drivers if it is required or if it is the most efficient solution.

post #9104 of 26064
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post
 

 

i've heard that they often "upgrade" the drivers to whatever the most recent driver for that model is. for example if you sent them an SR225, they would upgrade it to the SR225i driver.

 

 

happened to me.

 

had a driver failure the day i purchased an RS1, so i sent them in, they replaced the drivers with RS1i drivers for $100, and i paid $40 to get a new headband as well, then i just bought new pads and i basically had a brand new RS1i with the old school button cups.

post #9105 of 26064

Hey Dubstep Girl, how are that PS1000's working out?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!