Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 590

post #8836 of 25012

My introduction to Grado-land was the SR80. These were broken after a few years, and I moved on to an MS1 by Alessandro run through a Little Dot MK III.  Badly mixed or sourced music sounds bad, everything else sounds quite nice. I spent 25 years away from audiophile headphones, and must say that cans are a much more intimate listening environment in which it is easier to find and appreciate details.

 

For the spoken word, folk, world, acoustic jazz and classical that I listen to I think that an open back design is optimal. I was listening to "Moola Mantra" a month ago, and caught the percussionist _almost_ making a mistake, catching it and fixing it without more than a very slight pause. I know that wasn't audible with my speaker system or low-fidelity headphones. The sound stage of the Grado-verse matches my listening preferences, and I can hardly wait to hear how my Martin-built Turbulent X phones will further reveal my music.

 

Good starting points for Grados would include Steeleye Span, Niyaz, Dar Williams, Anne Hills, Maddy Pryor, Union Station, Joan Baez and Lucinda Williams. Most of Bach's works are a decided win for these cans as is spoken word or audio drama. .

post #8837 of 25012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post

 


I'm good on amps for now. (saving for a Taboo MK III) I'd strongly advise you to keep the little dot if you like to fiddle... its a great little amp that can be modded easily (have you rolled an op amp?) and the amount of tubes to try is crazy!


i will hang on to the little dot i'm sure, the wife cut me some slack, and she is happy that i love the lyr, she's been hearing me talk about it so much

no, haven't really modded yet, thats why i was originally going to keep the g3 when i got the little dot, to practice on

so the only thing that probably not get much listening time, is the fiio ,

post #8838 of 25012
After a day, my Grado sound much awesome and loving the brighter signature and they are really unforgiving! Tested it with some mp3 file and sibilants are pretty noticeable redface.gif

Tried removing the pads and listen to the sound with my hand pushing it away from my ears to avoid it touching my ears and it sound ted brighter, cleaner is it how it suppose to sound like with the Quater mod?

Billson biggrin.gif
post #8839 of 25012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post


"Until you’ve heard a headphone amp that’ll do 40V p-p into 32 ohms, you haven’t lived." !!! (from the schiit website)

seriously, i've just listened for about 45 minutes , there is plenty of control over the volume, seems normal , what's not normal, or at least i was unprepared

control of the bass, DYNAMIC, PRAT, gobs of it, now its a hybrid, it blows the LD1+ away, and its killer, wanna buy a little dot ?? lol

serious, i do need to sell some ( i now have 4 amps, 2 dacs), i'm relatively sure it WONT be the lyr

Hey Jay! Sounds like you really like the lyric. That's really interesting since there have been a number of comments how the lyr isn't really designed efficient HPs....will have to file that in my memory banks...what little is left normal_smile%20.gif

post #8840 of 25012
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

Hey Jay! Sounds like you really like the lyric. That's really interesting since there have been a number of comments how the lyr isn't really designed efficient HPs....will have to file that in my memory banks...what little is left normal_smile%20.gif


i love the lyr !

well, if you look at the specs , i'd say yeah, the lyr is for big hard to drive phones, it puts out 6 watts !

but in emails with jason stoddard, when i was inquiring about the vahalla, he said asgard 2 or even better the lyr

now i haven't heard the a2, i have heard the magni, and the magni is supposed to be similar

i'd say the lyr's sound is bigger,faster cleaner, with a tad of tube warmth on the side ! lol

the current and voltage it provides make the ps500 sound way better

 

oh, and its dead silent, no noise, blacker than the little dot, i still love the little dot, and plan to keep it


Edited by jaywillin - 8/22/13 at 3:34am
post #8841 of 25012

here's the newest addition warming up !

post #8842 of 25012
Nice! put on some B.B. and enjoy wink.gif
post #8843 of 25012
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post

Nice! put on some B.B. and enjoy wink.gif


and let the good times roll !!

post #8844 of 25012

I just received my first set of Grado's (SR60's, not i) which I only paid $28 for and they are AWESOME!  Clear, crisp, love the mids, I think the hi's are just right, and the bass is tight and just right.  I like bass and I think these have just the right amount of bass but, more importantly, it's the quality of the bass. And that's stock.  Bottom line...I like the Grado sound.  It's fun and lively. My Brainwavz HM5's sound boring now.  I thought all this Grado love was just hype, but I'm a fan.  Needs a new cord though...

post #8845 of 25012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiaosu View Post

I just received my first set of Grado's (SR60's, not i) which I only paid $28 for and they are AWESOME!  Clear, crisp, love the mids, I think the hi's are just right, and the bass is tight and just right.  I like bass and I think these have just the right amount of bass but, more importantly, it's the quality of the bass. And that's stock.  Bottom line...I like the Grado sound.  It's fun and lively. My Brainwavz HM5's sound boring now.  I thought all this Grado love was just hype, but I'm a fan.  Needs a new cord though...

Congrats....and welcome aboard!

post #8846 of 25012

Hi,

 

I am planning to upgrade my HPs. I got ath m50s right now and planning to have my Grados. I have tried the sr325 as well as gs1000. but I am still new to this hobby and thinking how can i fully maximize these HPs by having the right amps/DACs. That's keep me undecided on upgrading but I really do like the Grados when i tested it. I usually listens to alternative/metal/edm music.

Any suggestions/help will do.

 

Thanks guys!

post #8847 of 25012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsph View Post

Hi,

 

I am planning to upgrade my HPs. I got ath m50s right now and planning to have my Grados. I have tried the sr325 as well as gs1000. but I am still new to this hobby and thinking how can i fully maximize these HPs by having the right amps/DACs. That's keep me undecided on upgrading but I really do like the Grados when i tested it. I usually listens to alternative/metal/edm music.

Any suggestions/help will do.

 

Thanks guys!


What kind of money are you looking to spend?

 

Which Grado are you planning on getting?

post #8848 of 25012

I've had a bit of a revelation here as of late with my GS1ks. 

 

I still don't know if I believe in break-in, but I thought that since I had splitters on my Daccord running to two separate amps, Id  just go ahead and let the GS1ks play by themselves for several days just to see if it made any difference. I've been on record saying that I prefer both the PS500s and my T1s to them, but then I realized that I have far fewer hours on them than I do my other phones. 

 

Anyway, they've had an additional 200 hrs of burn in over the last couple weeks, and when I put them on tonight I could swear that they are sounding better. They aren't nearly as harsh as they were previously...they were't quite in the 325 area in terms of brightness, but still pretty bright. The top end is sounding quite smooth all of a sudden. I need to spend more time with them, but I think the GS1ks are the weirdo of the Grado line. Not only are these the only Grados I've had that really seem to need a little more juice from a decent amp to sound their best, but now it seems like theyre the only ones I've had that need a lot of burn in. 

 

One thing is for sure, Tyll was spot on when he said these are brilliant phone for low level listening...I've been having a blast on youtube tonight, and where I usually will reach for my trusty 80s, these woodies have been just fantastic for this application. 

 

So...bottom line...the GS1ks are weirdos. 

post #8849 of 25012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post


What kind of money are you looking to spend?

Which Grado are you planning on getting?

Hi im considering either 325 or gs1000 since thats the only one that i have tried. Im on a budget of 300-1000.
post #8850 of 25012

I've got three days left on my audition with the RS1i but I just rang the dealer and told him I'd be in on Monday with my credit card.  The RS1i are staying at my house. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!